How you host an event?

TN83

It can be as easy or complicated as you want to make it.

You need a location for geocachers to meet together. Some of the most enjoyable events are the smaller ones (20 -30 people) where you actually get to meet and talk to everyone in the room!

Here are the guidelines for setting up an event cache:

Event cache guidelines.

It would be a good idea if you went along to one or two of your local events to get a feel of how they work, there are 11 events listed in Illinois state between now and Christmas.

To get the list use the link below and Search for Event Caches > By Country/State > Illinois

Advanced Search

MrsB

Attend a few and see what you like, don't like.

There were a lot of 10/10/10 events this past weekend, with all manner of activities. The one I got to attend was simply a meet and greet for coffee , before another event, it was nice to see some of the names you ordinarily see on line. Look up some of them on line and see. I do not attend many events but at last count a little local group has done more than 70 group hikes and bike rides and paddle activities , which has produced a nice outlet for our caching.

You could have a flash mob. It only lasts about 10 minutes. Pick a public place and have everyone show up to sign the log book that will only be available for X amount of minutes.

How about a commercial restaurant event? A bunch of cachers get together and patronize a particular restaurant. I have been to a few of those.

There are meet and greet events. You just get together and talk. Give a place and time and have at it. Two hours is a nice round number.

We've had a couple campfire events. A nice campfire, cachers, S'mores, hot chocolate, etc.

There are more adventurous events. You can have challenges involved with prizes. Some events are all day and have people running every which way to collect caches or complete challenges.

You could always place a bunch of caches near your event and give out the coordinates at your event before they are published. People like smilies!

I was intimidated at my first but we've had three and they are a lot of fun. (They can be a lot of work too!)

Edited by Knight2000

Thanks everyone for the ideas, i know what i'm going to do around november 15 i will have an event but i don't know exactly what day stay tune for more info, send me i friend request if you like..

Just remember that you'll need to submit your event for review a minimum of 2 weeks in advance. It would be good to do it even earlier than that because if there are any 'issues' that need to be sorted out before it can be published then you'll have some time in hand.

Good luck.

MrsB

Just remember that you'll need to submit your event for review a minimum of 2 weeks in advance. It would be good to do it even earlier than that because if there are any 'issues' that need to be sorted out before it can be published then you'll have some time in hand.

Good luck.

MrsB

Yes. Sooner rather than later. In our area the geo-calendar seems to fill up quickly! How many events can you fit in one weekend? A lot!