Is it OK to screw into a tree in a Council park?

3funboys

Just wondered whether you thought this was appropriate or not? Am thinking of screwing a small hook (like you use to put up net curtains) into a tree in a local park. It is not a nature reserve or rare habitat or anything.

Almost seems like i shouldnt as am doing something to the tree, but on the other hand it is very minor compared with natural and innocent damage by children, birds, squirrels etc.

If you think its not the best idea then any ideas how i could attach a small cache to tree (head height) where the cache is easily removeable from the tree?

thanks

Just wondered whether you thought this was appropriate or not? Am thinking of screwing a small hook (like you use to put up net curtains) into a tree in a local park. It is not a nature reserve or rare habitat or anything.

Almost seems like i shouldnt as am doing something to the tree, but on the other hand it is very minor compared with natural and innocent damage by children, birds, squirrels etc.

If you think its not the best idea then any ideas how i could attach a small cache to tree (head height) where the cache is easily removeable from the tree?

thanks

Assuming you've got permission for the cache from the council.... what do they say about you screwing things into their trees?

The other damage you mention is accidental - but you using a screw hook might be perceived as vandalism or deliberate damage, and show caching in a bad light to the council and public - which could be damaging for future and existing hides on council property.

Thanks, am glad I asked. Our council has given blanket permission for caches. No dead trees there unfortunately. In case I cant find out where to get permission from, any other ideas about how such a cache would be secured normally? Cache has a small ring on end of it which is why I was thinking of hook.

Thanks, am glad I asked. Our council has given blanket permission for caches. No dead trees there unfortunately. In case I cant find out where to get permission from, any other ideas about how such a cache would be secured normally? Cache has a small ring on end of it which is why I was thinking of hook.

Tie a loop of cord around a branch and hang the hook off that?

Screw the hook into "dead" wood eg the cut surface of a sawn off branch as this will do the tree no harm.

I have received permission to hide caches in a local park on the proviso that all the hides (bison tubes) are attached in this fashion.

I once made the mistake of hiding one in the hollow of a broken off branch in February and by July the hole had almost sealed over.

Two issues here -

(1) potential damage to tree, which is minimised by screwing into bark, rather than wood

(2) potential damage to anyone handling tree at a later date, but failing to notice metal eg using chainsaw to cut up logs when felled; minimised by either screwing into bark, which may be removed before cutting; and / or making it obvious that something is attached - difficult to be be sure, as hook part may drop off, leaving just screw part in tree.

Not a good idea using dead trees - bits tend to drop off. Stumps are different, though.

By the way, I work as an assistant ranger at a country park, where we try to balance the needs of visitors, including geocachers, orienteers, dog walkers etc; with nature conservation.

All trees in a park should have numbered plate on them so they can be tracked, if the tree is not plated up it is probably a self set, all trees are protected now self set or not. Do you think the elf an safety people at any council would think climbing up a tree was a good idea I doubt they would encourage it for fear of being sued. :P

Thanks everyone.

Have scrapped the idea of putting screws in tree in the park, impossible to find anyone to give permission and I agree it's not appropriate for me to do it without permission.

Interestingly I did know who to ask at a local beaty spot and the ranger there said the same as the ranger on this thread, not to do it due to chainsaw issues if the tree ever needed felling many years into the future.