Really difficult cache...

ZeLonewolf

Somebody just made a claim of FTF.

FTF on the cache

Kind of a bland log entry for such a sought after cache. Hope he adds more to it. His DNF logs had more info in them. He has posted a few DNFs on the cache, so I think it is a legit find.

Congrats Red5! Mystery solved.

I saw that and have to laugh how bland his log was! :) Now someone pls email him/her of where the cache is. It would be nice to know if the rating is correct.

Before anyone jumps the gun again, RED 5 (the FTF) is not a sock puppet, their oldest cache finds are from NY, not IL. Seems pretty clear to me that they are genuine.

Ahhh, but may the CO be a sock puppet of RED 5?!? B):)

Possible, as well, that RED 5 figured that there was no cache there, and that the cache owner was not going to admit it, so may as well post a Find. Who's going to deny it? But I'm not big on conspiracy theories. I'll go with the facts as I see them until I get some new ones.

How do we know the CO (which I think is a sock puppet account) isnt sitting at home, reading these comments, posting under his/her real account and laughing his head off?

He could be. He may not have planted a box on purpose, just to see who he can bait and string along. But we won't know unless he actually confesses. It's a bit of a surprise to me that it doesn't happen more often. The worst that could happen is the sock puppet account gets banned.

I sure wish you would stop tossing gasoline on this fire, Lone R. You have a right to your opinion, which you have stated, but an opinion is all that you've got. How do you know that there is anything to "confess", much less actions to get the account banned!

I'm not saying he is a sock puppet who is stringing people along. Definitely not saying that he should be banned based on the information we have so far. I was just voicing my surprise that more of this kind of thing doesn't happen....it's actually a good thing that it doesn't happen. 9 years of caching and reading the forums and I haven't seen examples and discussions about bogus placements. It would be quite easy to do and quite easy to rattle the caching community. As we are observing in this forum and on the IL/LI cache page.

Couldn't possibly just be a good hide that defeated a few geocachers, huh? No 'cos that would be boring :)

The most recent log entry, from a cacher that had looked twice before, seems to indicate otherwise.

Sounds ominous, I know, but I've had similar experiences, and I seriously doubt that I'm alone in that. Even without coming back... on the same trip... how many times have you said, "But I already CHECKED there!!"?

I been to this cache at least 3 times, and went back tonight after the FTF was posted. I found the cache with in 3 seconds. I know this cache was not in this spot all the other times I went looking for it. This cache been just put out by the CO or someone got sick of the rude CO that would send you rude reply's anytime you asked a question about the cache.

So I do not think it's the real cache or if the is a cache at all.

1. To all those that think that the is a block that slides out, I check that.

2. All the cracks between the blocks are filled with some sort of glue so you can not slide something between the blocks.

3. A few of the block on top are lose and come off but looked under then and down the wall as far as you can see.

4. Anthing over the wall would not be reachable by wheel chair but we searched over the wall as well.

5. Looked at all the little rocks on the front of the wall, nothing lose or even a hole in any of the blocks.

6. nothing in the crack between the wall and the blacktop parking lot.

7. the picture taken by my friend showing that cement rock with hole in it is about 5 feet away from the wall and we all look in it, the is actually a frog that lives in that hole.

8. looked for fake grass-cache, bottle cap cache, fake rock cache,....

hmm maybe the cache is hiden inside the real live frog's butt :)

Edited by SXR800
Sounds ominous, I know, but I've had similar experiences, and I seriously doubt that I'm alone in that. Even without coming back... on the same trip... how many times have you said, "But I already CHECKED there!!"?

yeah but srsly... only DNFs for over a month, and then suddenly 3 unspectacular finds in a row? i don't buy it.

yeah but srsly... only DNFs for over a month, and then suddenly 3 unspectacular finds in a row? i don't buy it.

Yeah, my hackles are getting up just a bit, too.
Wait, I figured it out. It's an optical illusion. Stare at the black dot on the right for 23 seconds and then look to the left and you'll see the cache. I'm buying plane tickets right after I post. My first FTF, yes!!

Image2-3.jpg

I make the above post on the 12th and the cache is found on the 14th over a month after placement. Coincidence I don't think so.

Told ya, optical illusion. :)

Wait, I figured it out. It's an optical illusion. Stare at the black dot on the right for 23 seconds and then look to the left and you'll see the cache. I'm buying plane tickets right after I post. My first FTF, yes!!

Image2-3.jpg

I make the above post on the 12th and the cache is found on the 14th over a month after placement. Coincidence I don't think so.

Told ya, optical illusion. :)

I just wanted to say that I loved this post, made my LOL for a while, nice job B)

I been to this cache at least 3 times, and went back tonight after the FTF was posted. I found the cache with in 3 seconds. I know this cache was not in this spot all the other times I went looking for it. This cache been just put out by the CO or someone got sick of the rude CO that would send you rude reply's anytime you asked a question about the cache.

2. All the cracks between the blocks are filled with some sort of glue so you can not slide something between the blocks.

3. A few of the block on top are lose and come off but looked under then and down the wall as far as you can see.

4. Anthing over the wall would not be reachable by wheel chair but we searched over the wall as well.

5. Looked at all the little rocks on the front of the wall, nothing lose or even a hole in any of the blocks.

7. the picture taken by my friend showing that cement rock with hole in it is about 5 feet away from the wall and we all look in it, the is actually a frog that lives in that hole.

hmm maybe the cache is hiden inside the real live frog's butt :)

Thanks for the detailed description and followup. Sounds like you did a thorough job of searching.

I'm not surprised an easy cache suddenly appeared as I kinda of expected that to happen. I applaud the person or person(s) who placed it.

Thanks for the detailed description and followup. Sounds like you did a thorough job of searching.

I'm not surprised an easy cache suddenly appeared as I kinda of expected that to happen. I applaud the person or person(s) who placed it.

I was emailed a little while ago asking about the cache and about that the is a big post in the forum about it so I wanted to see and post any questions anyone might have.

Edited by SXR800

I was out of town caching this weekend when I came across a rather unusual listing - a 2.5/1 cache hidden in the back parking lot of a strip mall with 19 DNFs and zero finds since September. We didn't bother to look for it, but I thought it was interesting.

Cache Listing: From IL to LI

The owner has exactly ONE find. The log history includes several snarky responses from the CO to people that couldn't find it. From reading the logs, I'm wondering if this cache listing is entirely fake, and the CO is "punking" the local cache community? Seems very weird.

Umm...Unless something has been changed, they owner was not the one being snarky...it was several of the others. Let's see...

Called him a liar, said he was not respected in the community, said he had no credibility, said he didn't know how to play?? And you say HE was being snarky??

I was out of town caching this weekend when I came across a rather unusual listing - a 2.5/1 cache hidden in the back parking lot of a strip mall with 19 DNFs and zero finds since September. We didn't bother to look for it, but I thought it was interesting.

The owner has exactly ONE find. The log history includes several snarky responses from the CO to people that couldn't find it. From reading the logs, I'm wondering if this cache listing is entirely fake, and the CO is "punking" the local cache community? Seems very weird.

Umm...Unless something has been changed, they owner was not the one being snarky...it was several of the others. Let's see...

Called him a liar, said he was not respected in the community, said he had no credibility, said he didn't know how to play?? And you say HE was being snarky??

Excuse me, but those comments were posted AFTER I pointed out this cache. No need to get your knickers in a twist. I was merely noting a cache with an unusual listing / owner / log history combination. :blink:

There's a lot of mud being slung in the notes on the cache page: Prove yourself. Prove it is there. You don't know what you are doing. We don't believe you. Read the rules.

What "rules" are you referring to?

Why should any hider have to prove a cache is there to anybody but a reviewer? It looks like the reviewer is working with the CO. If there was more "rule reading" going on there wouldn't be people posting notes to the cache page and trying to use it like a discussion forum and making snide remarks directed at the CO.

I beleive the poster is just paraphrasing the comments made in the DNF logs...note the :

Excuse me, but those comments were posted AFTER I pointed out this cache. No need to get your knickers in a twist. I was merely noting a cache with an unusual listing / owner / log history combination. :blink:

Can you point out anything that the CO said that was snarky? I just don't see it.

hmm maybe the cache is hiden inside the real live frog's butt :blink:

Did you check for a grain of rice with FTF:_______ written on it ?

And yes I have found a WP once that had the offset written on a grain of rice.

Edited by FunnyNose

the drama was fun though - admit it

but then again I'm not the one who drove an hour out there to hunt around for the thing

are we voting on this?

I'm in the "this was not here until yesterday" camp

Me too. And I'm thinking that there's a good chance it's a 'throw down'.

are we voting on this?

I'll take the opposite. I think it probably was there.

Reason: The FTF had been twice before, If it was really really obvious that the cache had not been there the first 2 visits I can't believe they would not have cried foul in their log.

On the other hand, the FTF log was very short and sweet, which could indicate the finder was not the sort to make accusations on the cache page (their previous DNF logs were very calm and dignified), and so were perhaps biting their tongue as they typed it.

Hmmmm. Would you take an each way bet on this one?

I agree it has been very entertaining to watch from afar and it would be nice to know what the hide was that had everyone stumped - but that would ruin the cache completely if made public so we will probably never know.

What is a shame is the tone of some of the cache page notes and logs.

Considering this is a game and everyone is free to choose which caches to hunt for (and there's an ignore button to prevent frustration), I personally don't think there was any need for the way some of the accusations and comments were made.

Seems this game can really bring out the worst in some people.

Thankfully it also brings out the best in others.

Edit: A throwdown. Of course.

Now it's a 3 way bet.

Would the FTF have taken his own box along? Possible but don't want to accuse anyone.

So I'll stick with my original, non cynical, have faith in human nature, bet - It was always there.

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

the drama was fun though - admit it

but then again I'm not the one who drove an hour out there to hunt around for the thing

are we voting on this?

Well, it could have been there all along, and been something very evil. Then either the cache owner got frustrated with all the drama and dropped something really easy there, *OR* someone else threw down a container. Which all of course is just more drama. Geez, I didn't even notice this was a parking lot cache behind a strip plaza.

This scene could have been repeated anywhere in America. Place anything anywhere and call it a cache, get it listed on this website, and an endless parade of smiley seekers will obsess over it. I hope I didn't give anyone any ideas. :blink:

This scene could have been repeated anywhere in America. Place anything anywhere and call it a cache, get it listed on this website, and an endless parade of smiley seekers will obsess over it.
I have a cache that has a couple of DNFs from veteran finders, and it would take maybe fewer than 10 in a row to cause a panic just like this. I'm getting a little DNFphobic about that possibility -- I'll make a new cache, and the following morning, an angry mob's setting up a gallows on my front lawn.

Even though I'll always include hints, I can't be certain a cache is findable until people attempt it. So it's a relief to me when a few people find it immediately. Particularly if any are the kind of Friend that gets Phoned.

What should I do if a cache is becoming a huge drama? Should I archive it? I'm guessing the rock wall should be, if there's any sign the wall's being destroyed (or with any Scorched Earth scenario). Otherwise, I'd be reluctant to reveal the tricky hide just because I've been demanded to show it to someone's PAF. Do I just add better hints to the 2.5 star difficulty cache?

...Or should I just keep adding stars to the difficulty with every nth DNF?

It looks to me like the Really Difficult cache changed, about the time it began to be found. It seems to no longer require "time and patience" to find. Maybe a finder didn't put it back properly?

Edited by kunarion

Option 1 = Cache was always there, and was a challenging hide.

Option 2 = Cache was actually placed yesterday.

Option 3 = Cache was a throw down from a frustrated seeker.

Option 4 = The FTF was in on the prank and, with permission, posted a fake log.

Hmmm... I think I'll go with Option 1. :blink:

We'll take Option 2, Alex!!

Seriously, we've lived thru this scenario twice before. Some CO's refuse to acknowledge their cache is missing, I'm not sure why, then they go replace it. Sometimes it's a case of the cache just being pushed too far back into something that it's irretrievable, other times it's real obvious it is in a place you looked (Like a keyholder attached to only little piece of metal in the area...)

Option 1 = Cache was always there, and was a challenging hide.

Option 2 = Cache was actually placed yesterday.

Option 3 = Cache was a throw down from a frustrated seeker.

Option 4 = The FTF was in on the prank and, with permission, posted a fake log.

Hmmm... I think I'll go with Option 1. :blink:

We'll take Option 2, Alex!!

Seriously, we've lived thru this scenario twice before. Some CO's refuse to acknowledge their cache is missing, I'm not sure why, then they go replace it. Sometimes it's a case of the cache just being pushed too far back into something that it's irretrievable, other times it's real obvious it is in a place you looked (Like a keyholder attached to only little piece of metal in the area...)

From the CO:

The cache the previous finders claimed they found was not mine! It was placed on the scene by someone else. My log sheet is completely empty! While checking on mine, I looked around for this newly placed container and what do you know, It was nowhere to be found! I don't know who placed it there and I don't care! All I know is the FTF is still up for grabs. All is well here, thanks for stopping by!

I don't particularly like it when the Geocaching community is getting punk'ed. :blink:

I'm sorry that two dozen cacher's wasted their time looking for this fiction.

Would a cacher that is local to that area please contact the landowner and see if permission was granted to place the cache on their property? You may want to mention your concern, if you have one, about people dismantling parts of the wall to find the cache. If the answer comes back "No permission was granted" then please contact the local reviewer and notify them that the cache was placed without permission and that it should be archived.

I don't particularly like it when the Geocaching community is getting punk'ed. :blink:

I'm sorry that two dozen cacher's wasted their time looking for this fiction.

Would a cacher that is local to that area please contact the landowner and see if permission was granted to place the cache on their property? You may want to mention your concern, if you have one, about people dismantling parts of the wall to find the cache. If the answer comes back "No permission was granted" then please contact the local reviewer and notify them that the cache was placed without permission and that it should be archived.

Karma is a <potty language removed>. LOL :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama