Geocaching.com won't let me upload photos!

Darren V

its an intermittent problem, try again later

for some reason today the site has been way slower than yesterday, when a lot of activity was expected

I wonder if some people are logging a lot of their 10-10-10 finds today. I only logged one of my finds yesterday, as did my MIL. Today, she's been busy logging her other finds that number in the teens. Perhaps a lot of others are doing that as well.

I uploaded my first ones, no problem, but load lately. I resized them, then they loaded. Try resizing first.

This will probably work.

I accidentally uploaded a 4MB image and it kept failing. Didn't realize I'd forgotten to resize it until I looked at it on the hard drive. A quick resize, and it went perfectly.

the site does resize them though

what resolution you use to get a 4MB image? lol

mine are at 3200x2400 original dimensions and end up at 1.95MB and only had error message a couple of times when it actually said the picture upload is down for maintenance

Edited by t4e

This will probably work.

I accidentally uploaded a 4MB image and it kept failing. Didn't realize I'd forgotten to resize it until I looked at it on the hard drive. A quick resize, and it went perfectly.

the site does resize them though

what resolution you use to get a 4MB image? lol

mine are at 3200x2400 original dimensions and end up at 1.95MB and only had error message a couple of times when it actually said the picture upload is down for maintenance

I'm not sure if the site resizes them or not. I've always resized them 600x450 before uploading. I thought I'd resized them all, but somehow I'd only selected the first one and all the rest were big. Once I resized them, they went quick.

They're 3648x2736. I take them in RAW format and then convert them in a photo editing program and then export them at 90% compression (or 10%...however you look at it) to JPG. I don't keep the RAWs once they've been exported. I could probably do it like 80%, but I'm kind of weird and think 90% is better, even though I can't tell any difference. :lol:

Edited by Skippermark

The site resizes them, but only to a point. I never resize my pictures beforehand, and they're about 4-5 MB. But the other day, I tried to upload a panorama that was about 18 MB, and I got an error message saying it was too big. If I remember correctly, it said that pictures had to be under 10 MB.

37 minutes ago, Sapharica said:

I've been having the same problems for a couple of months.  Photos used to load and not they don't, just get an error msg saying to try later.  I managed to upload a couple via my phone, but what a performance.

Resize photos before uploading from a phone.  There are various Apps, and even some that may come with the phone.

The ability to upload by phone is a clue.  It's something on your PC or network, maybe the Internet provider.  Without a lot more info, there's no way to tell.

Edited by kunarion