Mail the Bug - Right or Wrong

Northern Trekker

Historic Threads...

Travel Bugs Being Handed Off, which had a poll and became a precident setting topic.

mailing

how to move a bug

Bugs by mail?

The consensus seems to be that if you are going to start a bug remotely to have it try to make it back home, you can mail it to the remote cacher. But they have to be the first one to place the bug in a cache.

Otherwise, it's considered "bad form." However, there's no hard and fast rule about it (there's no hard and fast rules at all with regards to Travel Bugs). icon_wink.gif

My FAQ section on common thoughts about bugs.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Historic Threads...

Travel Bugs Being Handed Off, which had a poll and became a precident setting topic.

mailing

how to move a bug

Bugs by mail?

The consensus seems to be that if you are going to start a bug remotely to have it try to make it back home, you can mail it to the remote cacher. But they have to be the first one to place the bug in a cache.

Otherwise, it's considered "bad form." However, there's no hard and fast rule about it (there's no hard and fast rules at all with regards to Travel Bugs). icon_wink.gif

My FAQ section on common thoughts about bugs.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I have a bug that is trying to get to all continents. Kablooey got him from a cache and mailed him to Embi in Australia. I have no problem with this, personally. I would like to be asked for permission first.

Just my $.02.

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Cache 'n' carry... My 4 year old!

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing in reverse. Talzhemir posted a cool Geocache Passport and I was thinking of having the kid's TB mailed back to them once the passport is filled. (SASE included of course)

With their shorter attention spans it would be kind of like a countdown to homecoming. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!

JustAFew

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing in reverse. Talzhemir posted a cool Geocache Passport and I was thinking of having the kid's TB mailed back to them once the passport is filled. (SASE included of course)

With their shorter attention spans it would be kind of like a countdown to homecoming. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!

JustAFew

quote:

I don't see any reason why a TB couldn't be mailed back to the owner after its made its journey especially if the intent is to fill a passport. If the intent is to see where its been and who has had it a full passport would be the best record.

icon_smile.gif

Eeyore

"Geocaching" - A nature hike with a mission!

quote:

I don't see any reason why a TB couldn't be mailed back to the owner after its made its journey especially if the intent is to fill a passport. If the intent is to see where its been and who has had it a full passport would be the best record.

icon_smile.gif

Eeyore

"Geocaching" - A nature hike with a mission!

Heck NO!! Here's why I say that with such passion. My t.b. Liberty BellLiberty Bell T.B., went missing when a young man at Texas A&M decided to mail it to his father in another location, just to help it along. The letter got to his father just fine, however my t.b. was lost to the U.S. Postal System (USPS). I requested a search of the lost and found, it is offically lost.

So my two cents is HECK NO! If you don't take precautions, it will get eaten by the USPS! icon_frown.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif