Cache recommendations for Scotland, England & Wales

We're going to be visiting Scotland, England and Wales next summer (late summer) and I'm in the planning stage right now. I know that geocaches often take you to out of the way, undiscovered treasures that the guidebooks never mention. I would love it if any of you could give me some ideas of places not to miss, and especially caches that are memorable (whether for the cache itself, or the location, etc). We love castles, gardens, scenery, history, you name it. I figure you are all the best ones to offer up advice on this!

Thanks

Silvermoose (Brenda)

I think a good place to start would be the LQ caches:

LQ Bookmark list made by Popup Pirate

I haven't got a huge amount of caching experience (under a year), but a few memorable ones for me so far have been

GCZ4G7 (and all the others around Beddgelert, it's a beautiful area)

GC13HPA Great walk around a sculpture trail in the Forest of Dean

GCMDB6 The devil's congregation (Tintern Abbey), owned by The Blorenges from further up the thread!

GCNWDR WW2 Series - Minton Beware (plus the others around the Long Mynd, stunning scenery and there is a lot of WW2 history in the area and in the caches!)

Thanks, leeuk, for mentioning one of ours... The Wye Valley, Tintern and Chepstow (the castle being the "oldest surviving stone fortification in Britain") is a lovely part of the UK. It's the SE corner of Wales and the river Wye forms the boundary between Wales and England. There are lots of nice caches in beautiful scenery and it would be well worth a stop-off of a couple of nights if silvermoose is going to be coming to the Mega in Swansea.

If you're going to visit Edinburgh, I'll just suggest a vist to tidal Cramond island, off the coast just north of the city. There are just two caches (GC2AFJZ and GC6DAB) but it's fun to walk out along the causeway when the tides are right.

We've recently done some nice caches around the Malvern Hills (you could pass that way if you were driving down from central England towards SE Wales) and you'll find plenty of them if you use the Earth cache Malvern Springs GC1JN50 as the centre of your search.

As I'm originally from the pointy toe of England (west Cornwall) I'd strongly recommend that you drive down that way stopping off through Exmoor and Dartmoor for B&B and cream teas. Again, wonderful scenery and if you manage to get right down the end, to Land's End, you might like to try Kernow I (GCYP4F) and spot some Cornish choughs nearby. It's a climb down over granite using metal rungs set into the rock so if that's too much there are other good caches along the cliffs nearby.

It might help with future suggestions if you let us know just how "physical" you like your caches to be. :P

MrsB

I'd recommend a trip to Wandlebury Country Park, just outside Cambridge, where you'll find 4 caches, called Cambridge Past (multi), Cambridge Present (multi) and Cambridge Future (traditional), Polar Bear's Folly (virtual), while wandering round beech woods, an Iron Age ring ditch, 18th century stables, Highland cattle, Texel sheep, orienteering posts etc.

I've not been geocaching long, but I have a couple to recommend if you make it way towards Yorkshire.

Bronte Waterfalls - A very nice walk to the falls

Favous Five - And Whitby's always a good place for a visit

Brimham Rocks - Been there plenty of times but not since I've started geocaching.

I'm sure wherever you go you'll have plenty of caches to find and beautiful scenery to behold. Make sure you bring a couple large SD cards for your camera.

Edited by MikeyG.

Wow, these are great suggestions so far! Keep them coming! After I have a good idea of what areas to check out, I'm going to see if we can rent a cottage that is kind of central to them. Probably change locations a few times. I have my son and daughter, and my mom and sister going as well. Makes more sense to rent a cottage. My sister is also a geocacher so she'll be excited to hear about the event as well! These are great suggestions!

OK - slightly biased but there are dozens I'd recommend many in the Lake District. There is everything from 1/1 family walks to 4&5 caches on the high peaks. At last count, we have approximately 1750 caches in Cumbria so plenty to choose from.

One of my personal favourites is this one http://coord.info/GC6DAE as the drive to it will ALWAYS stick in your memory - it's rated a T5 for a good reason.

If you come to the North East coast then you must visit Ravenscar (about 8 miles north of Scarborough)

It's set on a 600 foot high cliff with stunning views of the moors and the coastline. And some of the best caches I've ever done are there.

Give yourself a couple of days to do these though! And be prepared to walk up and down that cliff a couple of times too! It's worth it though because there are seals on the rocks below! All 4 of these are intertwined so you have to do them in the order listed.

Ravenscar Treasure Trove

Heather Haven

Ravenscar Beast

Smuggler Quest 6 - Ravenscar

Hope you do them, they're loads of fun!

As the owner of this thread was looking for suggestions in 2010 for the summer just gone I assume we are making suggestions in vein unless they are coming again. Maybe it would be more relevant for them to be reporting about which caches they did whilst in the UK and which they enjoyed.

Good point, I didn't look at the original date when I replied :laughing:

It would have been this "summer" just gone. But doesn't look like they came over anyway!

Edited by TheGoodNorth