Fun 10-10-10!

DragonsWest

I got out with two different groups for 10-10-10 events and had a lot of fun, even one First to Find (not that I'm hourding[sic] them. :lol:

Attended Monterey's (California) 10-10-10 here! at Jack's Peak park and we had a great turnout, cookout and raffles. Lots of caches in this park I hadn't found and attendees hid some new ones to mark the occasion. Looked like we had a great attendance of 40, or more.

Then it was up to Campbell (San Jose area) to the Coop for the huge 10-10-10 The GBA version, where over 100 people were in attendance. LOUD in there, so I spent much of the evening out on the terrace caching up with fellow geocachers. Picked up a couple of the obligatory coins and found a couple caches before heading home to log my contribution towards breaking a record - 16 finds, 2 events attended. Slow by my usual reckoning, but the best I could manage with all this hobnobbing about.

How'd 10/10/10 go for you?

edit: BTW couldn't help but notice I collected a Souvenir!

Edited by DragonsWest

I had a really good caching day in Wales, UK.

Found my 100th on 10/10/10 (also got to cache number "101 ON 10/10/10")

Planted 2 caches. Found a bunch.

The weather was really warm for mid-october in the UK.

I also got a nice souvenir!

Nice to be part of a possible record!

My team "Lucky Ducks of Seneca" got out yesterday to complete the Dead Mans Run series in northwestern PA. 3 of the team also logged there 100th finds yesterday. Would have made it 101, but we had a DNF on Saturday. Our first DNF.

Your first DNF!?! B) Worry not, as you continue this merry chase you'll have a few more :) (Seriously, hopefully not many though. :lol: ) Paperless caching GPSrs help a lot in that regard.

It wasn't my highest caching day, but lots of fun and fun is what the game is about, eh?

I went 27 for 29 and was outside for 10 hours enjoying the unseasonably warm weather. I also found out that my dog LOVES to pheasant hunt and with a little training she might make a good bird dog. Not bad for a puppy we got at the Humane Society. Too bad I really don't hunt. I guess she'll just have to make due running around with me finding and hiding caches. I'm so mean to her...

Snagged a cache put out to commemorate the day and in the process too my son (almost 4) on his first "treasure hunt", along with my father. CO & a crowd were all at the parking lot when we rolled up.

Later picked off an interstate cache that's been bothering me for 2 years. Finally had a chance to walk over & grab it; I'd stared at the spot from afar a dozen times at least, yesterday I was finally able to claim it (and added a new county to my stats while I was at it).

I had a good time yesterday.

I only attended one event, but it was hosted by my favorite local geocacher. I also met several local geocachers I had not met before, and won one of the donated coins in the raffle drawings...there was a *lot* of stuff donated...some from Groundspeak directly.

The local events in my area are typically very well attended with geocachers from locations over 2 hours away. So far 62 teams have posted attended logs, and since many of the teams consisted of 2 or more members there was probably well over 100 people there. This is in a town with a population of around 30K.

I only found one other cache yesterday, but at least I was able to get out and do some sort of geocaching related activity (a rarity these days). I'm so *not* "all about the numbers" these days so the fact that I only logged two caches yesterday is a non-issue.

I also attended the event with my son, who up to now has pretty much only tolerates spending some time geocaching when were out together. There was a new puzzle cache in the park where the event was held and I let him navigate to the cache and after finding it he asked about finding another one. He even said that he'd like to go out geocaching together to find a bunch of caches some time. In the past, he's wanted to do something else after finding only 1 or 2 caches.

It was an interesting adventure.

GOF and Bacall posted a note for [Event Cache] 10-10-10 Multi Event: New York

We had an interesting adventure today, oh boy, gee, I wanna tell you. We got off to a late start to begin with. Why? Just because it was such good sleep'n weather. Then we noticed the van wasn't quite handling properly. A quick check revealed that the left front was going flat. We made it to a safe place to change the tire but the old one will never carry a car again. That is the second tire I've destroyed in the pursuit of an event cache. Then when we stopped for gas we met an interesting young man. Let's just say that once he started talking I started hearing banjo music. He seemed to think that I would find his story of torturing insects with fire interesting.

Eventually we did make it to the event. Just in time to help our friend Guinea Gal carry her chairs back to the car. Oh well. Better late than never I guess. But we had an adventure, met up with friends, and joined them for a cache and a meal.

Good news is we made it home with no further problems.

Then it was up to Campbell (San Jose area) to the Coop for the huge 10-10-10 The GBA version, where over 100 people were in attendance.

I saw you there, but you were halfway across the room, and shouting to you was out of the question. Quite an event - I don't know many people, but don't even have the chance to talk to everyone I know.

I grabbed some caches around there before and after the event, to make up a total of 10 just for the heck of it.

I had an awesome day for our 10-10-10 event. Elway7 here in Reno hosted an event at a local park and I have been creeping up on my 1000 mark for a while, so I planned it out to make the event #1000 for me. What was even cooler for me was that I took my 3 week old newborn son with me, created his own account and he logged his first cache as I hit my 1000 mark!

No events, but it was an absolutely perfect Sunday morning here.

We headed over to a park that we routinely run through but other than that haven't spent any time at before. We got in two puzzle caches and two regular caches and made it home in time to watch the Panthers succeed in disappointing yet again. sigh

We had an awesome day! It was raining most of the day, but that didn't stop us! We left the house around 6AM to try for some new caches that were posted by some local caching friends of ours, the Geomonkeys. We got FTF on one, found another, and didn't find two more (locals to our area know that the monkeys have very challenging hides). Then we went to the Monkeys' 10-10-10 flash mob event, GC2D3PD. It was pouring, but we had a really fun time saying hi to all our friends, doing a quick drawing, eating some candy, and then going with some other cachers to get a big ol' group FTF on one of the new caches we didn't find earlier.

Then we found another cache that was near the event site, and headed down to Roseburg, OR for UVGA's 10 X 10 Challenge, GC2FE4W This was a really fun event, where we were instructed to find 10 newly placed caches before 2PM that each had a stamp in them, to count towards the challenge.

We stopped to grab some lunch and to load up all the caches around noon, and then DISASTER struck. Our handheld GPS has been broken for a couple of months while we're waiting for a part for it, so I've been caching with my nuvi. My nuvi COMPLETELY crapped out on me. It doesn't turn on anymore. Guess I've been too mean to it. So I bit my tongue and had my husband use his smartphone to load up the caches, except that the Geocaching site was so busy that we couldn't do ANYTHING.

SO, I did have my laptop with me, and the cache pages were still open in my browser, so my husband manually entered coordinates into the smartphone's navigation system and we were able to find the caches with google imagery in an hour and a half! Phew!

The event was really fun, and we enjoyed food, geochat, and even won a drawing prize. Woohoo!

We found another couple of caches on the way home, and then enjoyed the rest of the evening doing yardwork. It was great :lol:

The Queen and I set out all by our lonesone, sans kids. After a stop at the library we grabbed a Letterbox Hybrid, two Trads, and an Earthcache. Saw a HUGE woodchuck at the Letterbox and ran into a local cacher out with his son at one of the others.

After that we met up with about 20-30 locals for pizza. Met some familiar faces as well as a ton of folks that I've only read about or found their caches. Nearly got beat up in the back ally for a puzzle cache of mine. Something about Russian aircraft...

Got a 'Venir! A Souvi! One of those things.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I was unclear on the goal of that record thing, discussed in another thread, not knowing if it was about number of caches found, event attendees or what, so I figured a good number of finds would be my contribution to it.

Mostly it turned out to be a great very, very late Summer day :lol: of caching.

Happy to see so many made it out, even if only to find a cache or two. B)

I did talk with a few fellow cachers about 11/11/11 - which falls on Armistice Day - a rather solemn occasion. I feel somehow the meaning of the day should somehow fit into next year's plans. I know Groundspeak is wary of tying things outside to Geocaching, but the day does commemorate the wish to be the end of all wars - which it sadly was not.

Perhaps a poppy on the next geocoin would be fitting. Make Cache - Not War.

I some how got up before 10:00am after a long day and night of caching and staying up late on saturday. Went to go get coffee for the lady and picked up a few virtual answers ive been meaning to get and logged 3 of those early.

I went to my first caching event at a really hot mexican resteruant. I felt kinda outa place due to social anxiety, but I meet on cacher before I was going to leave and we talked for awhile. I wrote down a bunch of car TB's and coins he had and now I actually have some icons.

Next time I go to an event, I want to make sure its out doors at a park or something. There was far too many people in that small place for my liking, but I still had a good time. I wished a cacher a happy 80th birthday, so that was cool. Then I went home and solved my first few puzzle caches that im going to get today after work.

Mean old Momma made us all go to church first. B) Then on the way home we read a description of a "nice trail near a retirement home" and thought it would be perfect for not mussing up our good clothes. LOL, 45 minutes of tromping through the woods and brush later we had our cache! Momma and the girls did a decent job of bushwacking in patent leather wedges and dresses. :lol: Nothing too fancy, but as always we had a blast.

I did talk with a few fellow cachers about 11/11/11 - which falls on Armistice Day - a rather solemn occasion. I feel somehow the meaning of the day should somehow fit into next year's plans. I know Groundspeak is wary of tying things outside to Geocaching, but the day does commemorate the wish to be the end of all wars - which it sadly was not.

It would probably be considered an "agenda."

But that doesn't mean you can't direct your own personal caching toward caches fitting the day; perhaps a tour of memorials to soldiers in your area (and only find caches near them), American Legions & VFW posts? I know a lot of them in my area have caches nearby.

Edited by dakboy

:lol: Went to two events in NorCal: 1st one was at the appointed time 10:10 am in front of Niles Cafe. A lot of fun about 30 to 40 people. Then we went to Campbell and cached. Went with dj's and MaksMom; together we bagged 20 plus the two events. We ended the day at the Campbell event and that was fun. It was huge, with families from all over, plus cachers from all over. They had a geocaching pin exchange which was a big hit with everyone. Had to leave early to settle down and get ready for work the next day.

I saw that the old record for one day was broken (on their Facebook page), but no numbers were given. B)

Edited by alohabra

I didn't go to any events or anything. But I did find two caches along a stretch of road yesterday afternoon while visiting family in another town. Funny is that these two are actually the second and third caches I've found on this same road this year.

That's about all my 10-10-10 "event-ing" there was for me yesterday.

Snagged a cache put out to commemorate the day and in the process too my son (almost 4) on his first "treasure hunt", along with my father. CO & a crowd were all at the parking lot when we rolled up.

Later picked off an interstate cache that's been bothering me for 2 years. Finally had a chance to walk over & grab it; I'd stared at the spot from afar a dozen times at least, yesterday I was finally able to claim it (and added a new county to my stats while I was at it).

Don't know if you were at the same event as me but I found a pair of reading glasses at winding hills park at the 10 10 10 event trying to match my non cache find to their appropriate owner

travelingfrog :lol:

I got ONE cache only! I worked that day and had to drag myself out to get a cache. I went to one I DNF when I first started caching on a trail I know well.

Spent 45 minutes searching the wrong side of the trail. When I turned to the other side of the trail to rest my eyes fell upon the cache!

Very satisfying! Had a great 101010!

Two caches. One was a 3/5 that required a 1 mile (round trip) canoe trip. With bad weather just around the corner here in Western NY, it was great to get the canoe in the water. This was our first canoe cache. There will be many more.

I'll bet that was a fun paddle. But don't blame the approaching bad weather. Most of us just waited for the creek to freeze and walked on over. :lol:

Two caches. One was a 3/5 that required a 1 mile (round trip) canoe trip. With bad weather just around the corner here in Western NY, it was great to get the canoe in the water. This was our first canoe cache. There will be many more.

I'll bet that was a fun paddle. But don't blame the approaching bad weather. Most of us just waited for the creek to freeze and walked on over. :lol:

We did it with the canoe because I heard you get a special souvenir for completing it that way. B) Seriously, we had a great time. It didn't seem like it was that far of a paddle. Afterwards we walked out to the point in Buckhorn. Basically the path used by HC's ST cache. My wife wasn't with me when I did that one. I knew she would appreciate the journey so we walked it.

I spent the better part of the day doing a home improvement project and forgot all about 10/10/10 until my wife mentioned it in some other context. I finished up what I was working on and hit the local bike path power trail to grab a few (I found 5, DNF 1).

After dinner I went out to do a maintenance check on the ammo can I have hidden in the park near the house. I brought along the son of a friend of mine to have him try to find it. He is a Boy Scout and wants to get his Geocaching merit badge after hearing me tell tales of finding these cans int he woods. Unfortunately, there are no merit badge councilors for it yet.

Anyway, I explained to him how the game works, how to use the GPS, and once he found it how to trade swag and log his cache (and since it was 10/10, he got a souvenir). His dad has a GPSr for hunting, so they are going to start searching caches together.

So my real accomplishment for 10/10/10 was to bring another cacher to the table.

I spent the better part of the day doing a home improvement project and forgot all about 10/10/10 until my wife mentioned it in some other context. I finished up what I was working on and hit the local bike path power trail to grab a few (I found 5, DNF 1).

After dinner I went out to do a maintenance check on the ammo can I have hidden in the park near the house. I brought along the son of a friend of mine to have him try to find it. He is a Boy Scout and wants to get his Geocaching merit badge after hearing me tell tales of finding these cans int he woods. Unfortunately, there are no merit badge councilors for it yet.

Anyway, I explained to him how the game works, how to use the GPS, and once he found it how to trade swag and log his cache (and since it was 10/10, he got a souvenir). His dad has a GPSr for hunting, so they are going to start searching caches together.

So my real accomplishment for 10/10/10 was to bring another cacher to the table.

Bravo and well done! Next up: Explain a CITO to him (I think he needs to know how to manage one to get that badge. Not too hard for him to do one and great experience!)

Edited by DragonsWest

I hosted a 10-10-10 event that started Saturday evening, with a small horde of kayaks splashing into the Econ River. We paddled for 6 miles, in a river bristling with gators and submerged obstructions, and only had one 'yak flip. At Midnight, we arrived at the event site, a foot bridge across the river, where we were met by a larger horde of folks who hiked in. We had some quality schmoozing, then set off for the remaining 2 miles, getting off the water by 2:00am. Took a nap, then headed to another 10-10-10 event in a nice park in Cocoa, where I got in some more schmoozing, and found a nice handful of caches. Had an early dinner at Ruby Tuesdays, then had some amazing ice cream at Cold Stone. Nabbed a couple more caches, then headed home, hitting the couch before Midnight to start my logging.

Great friends, great finds, great food & great fellowship.

It don't get no better than that! :lol:

Didn't cache, missed the only local event because it was during morning worship hours, and then had a wonderful day celebrating our grandson's 6-month birthday. Funny, took one look at that smiling little face and all thoughts about any Frog-related activity just faded into the distance...

Didn't cache, missed the only local event because it was during morning worship hours, and then had a wonderful day celebrating our grandson's 6-month birthday. Funny, took one look at that smiling little face and all thoughts about any Frog-related activity just faded into the distance...

You realize now that you are obligated to get one of those bumper stickers that says:

If I knew having grandchildren

was going to be this much fun

I would have had them first

:lol::D:D:)B)

Edited by DragonsWest

We had a 10-10-10 at 10 event at a local coffee shop. Cachers bodies give off a lot of heat, we found! Found out about something coming up in our area, and after a couple of hours schmoozin' we went for 2 Earthcaches, and 3 traditionals. Wether was glorious, but a bit breezy down by the ocean. And..........I got a souvenir!

We were busy with thanksgiving but on the way home we found a couple caches... the first in a spooky graveyard with fog rolling in and a chilly breeze blowing by at 9:55 PM in the pitch black... The next was in an empty park at approximatley 10 minute drive from the first at 10:10 PM while the 10 year old slept in the geominvan on 10-10-10.

At about 7pm I logged into the GC app on my iPhone and it popped up a "souvenir" for 10-10-10...then I remembered I needed to find a cache...so after we were done with dinner, I went to the nearest cache (which happened to be right across the street from where we were) and found that it had a few DNFs...not wanting to waste any time, we went to the next closest cache, and were able to make a quick find there. So..two hunts, one find, and another cool date memorialized. fun.

I was unclear on the goal of that record thing, discussed in another thread, not knowing if it was about number of caches found, event attendees or what, so I figured a good number of finds would be my contribution to it.

Mostly it turned out to be a great very, very late Summer day :P of caching.

Happy to see so many made it out, even if only to find a cache or two. :cool:

Perhaps a poppy on the next geocoin would be fitting. Make Cache - Not War.

11/11/11 falls on a Friday, whereas 09/10/11 falls on a Sunday. Surely this date would make more sense and would be less likely to cause offence.

However, I see the vote on the Lat 47 site is already 10 - 1 in favour of 11/11/11.........perhaps this date doesn't have the significance in the US that it does in Europe.