11-11-11 Multi-Event

avroair

Looking good Avroair, but I do wonder if you use the poppy style, surely the poppy has to stay red on

The red poppy is a symbol used in the commonwealth so a NZ, UK or Canadian event would probably use them, but here in the US when I ask people most people would say Orange for the California poppy, white for peace or pink for breast cancer etc. I am still tweaking the design, but I think there are a number of color combos that can go around the poppy.

The Space Coast Geocachers are in for the event coin again this year. We have been involved since the crazy 8's. Like Lionslair we may be in Savanah that weekend but someone will be here to represent no doubt. Put us down for the Space Coast Version in Florida. Love the poppy design. I feel the only way to go considering what day it falls on.

Looking good Avroair, but I do wonder if you use the poppy style, surely the poppy has to stay red on

The red poppy is a symbol used in the commonwealth so a NZ, UK or Canadian event would probably use them, but here in the US when I ask people most people would say Orange for the California poppy, white for peace or pink for breast cancer etc. I am still tweaking the design, but I think there are a number of color combos that can go around the poppy.

And Australian :)

I pax red for New Zealand. :laughing:

White wouldn't go down well for peace here in UK as it accompanies a lot of other political riders beyond peace, unfortunately. (I don't want to derail the thread by getting it all political, but do I hope UK gets a red poppy as well. And that's from someone who shares the name of a WWI British 'Absolutist' ~ who I also greatly admire!) :ph34r:

count me in

I am still planning on having an event in Napa, CA shared with the Sacramento group hosted by DJDS Clan, if they are still interested. It would be the same coin for both events and called the Northern California event coin.

I am still interested!!! :D

Dawn of

djds clan

We put on an event for 10-10-10 last year (GC29A3T) in Auckland, NZ, but were too late to get in on the whole multi-event deal. This year we'd like to get in, so count us in as interested in both taking part and having coins made. Will talk to a few others around NZ to see if they are interested also in hosting events.

On the coin front, I'm going to go against the grain and say we should not make it about Remebrance Day/Armistice Day, and make it just about geocaching. I don't think it would be disrespectful in the slightest. Not to mention that Remembrance/Armistice means more to some in some parts of the world, and less to others. I like the previous design with greek on one side, but love the idea of "dialling the event up to 11". Just my 2c.

Cheers.

We put on an event for 10-10-10 last year (GC29A3T) in Auckland, NZ, but were too late to get in on the whole multi-event deal. This year we'd like to get in, so count us in as interested in both taking part and having coins made. Will talk to a few others around NZ to see if they are interested also in hosting events.

On the coin front, I'm going to go against the grain and say we should not make it about Remebrance Day/Armistice Day, and make it just about geocaching. I don't think it would be disrespectful in the slightest. Not to mention that Remembrance/Armistice means more to some in some parts of the world, and less to others. I like the previous design with greek on one side, but love the idea of "dialling the event up to 11". Just my 2c.

Cheers.

We were in exactly the same position as funkymonkeyzone last year GC2E9TB and are keen to participate fully this year.

Additionally we also do not think the design should be based around a poppy and Remembrance Day/Armistice Day. Poppys are sold on the streets here in New Zealand leading up to ANZAC Day (April 25) when we commemorate our fallen and the proceeds go towards welfare of our old soldiers. There are commemorations and wreaths laid on 11 Nov but they are very low key and it is not a public holiday.

I don't have a preference for a design but like the time on the clock face approach...something like the eleventh hour.

Cheers

Like funkymunkyzone, we hosted our local 10 10 10 event and conceived of the 11 11 11 and 12 12 12 events on that day :) So get designing for 12 12 12 while you're at it - LOL

I'd like to back the idea that if this is an International Event, then the coin should be a coin applicable internationally if you like to see it accepted that way. Not sure if too many people here would be interested in a Remembrance themed coin. There is a very nice coin on the way for that purpose I see (http://phdcoins.ca/upcoming.cfm).

I have "borrowed" that Cachers 11 poster for my cache page... all credit given. Hope that's ok :) If I've credited the wrong person/team/people, please let me know.

http://coord.info/GC2Z9N8 (still needs to be published at the time this message was posted)

Avroair, have you moved on the design any? When do we have to have our color choice in by? Looking forward to your ideas. :D :D

Yes, I moved it to the left, then moved it to the right... :D Working on a schedule this week that will be posted to the 11 11 11 site.

And I'm sure that the geocachers in Canterbury will do an 11-11-11 event also. So that's at least 4 events for New Zealand - we might need a South Island and North Island version of the geocoin for that!!

And you said that NZlanders didn't like coins!

I should have a schedule and revised artwork posted this week. Going to show 3-4 different variations of the current design for people to pick.

Schedule:

Colors sumbitted by: August 18th

Artwork approved by: August 29th

Payment by: September 2nd

Coins ship by: October 14th (includes international)

What is a multi-event?

A multi-event is a group of event locations that share the same theme and geocoin (with the same icon).

Who can host an 11-11-11 Multi-event?

Anyone! An individual, geoaching organization or group.

Are there any restrictions on where I can host my event?

The event format is totally up to you. The only rule is that events that don't share the same color combination be more than 100 miles apart. Two events with the same color/metal combination have no distance restrictions.

What if two people would like to do an event but they live within 100 miles?

Avroair stays out of regional disputes. I would suggest the two hosts work together on the same coin or find some other solution amicably. Preference will be given to a veteran event host over new host if parties can't agree. Options such as sharing a coin, moving events further apart or dropping one event have worked in the past.

Who designs the coins?

Avroair, although the design is posted in the forums and critiqued by the other hosts. The design is meant to be versatile so that many color and metal combinations are available. The coins are trackable at GC.com and have a custom icon shared by all the versions. Avroair is open to other people's designs.

What can I customize (what will make my coin unique)?

There are two main options:

1. Choice of metal finish (antiquing adds to the cost)

2. Choice of color enamel fills. The color options include sub-options like glitter, glow, translucent and pearl enamels. Some of these options add to the costs to the coin.

What's the minimum order size?

Minimum order is 50 coins. But there is a price break for ordering 100 coins. There is also a 25 coin buy back program if you don't sell at least half.

How much do the coins cost?

Depends on what options you use. But typically starts at $5.00 per coin. The hosts decide on the retail price as a group.

How do I pick colors, metal and enamels?

Avroair will provide a 'color by numbers' outline of the coin artwork used for picking colors and enamels.

Where can I look at the artwork and what colors other event hosts have chosen?

There is a googledocs spreadsheet being set up that will show all the events and the colors picked. It is not for public use and is by host invite only.

What happens if two hosts submit exact or similar colors?

The host who handed in their colors second will be asked to alter their colors.

Will we see mint artwork?

Yes, you will have a chance to approve mint artwork to make sure colors are correctly chosen. But there is no opportunity to change your colors at that stage, just confirm they are correct.

Will we get a sample?

Only if time permits and we only do samples of the first 2-6 coins submitted.

When will the coins be delivered?

Two weeks before your event. You will get a shipping notice when this happens.

For past multi event designs and colors see: B0TL's list

Hi all! After much lurking, it seems like you are still in the planning stages of the coin? If I could be so humble as to ask why the obvious connection to 11/11/11 was overlooked? The 11th day, 11th hour, 11th month? It is Remembrance Day, aka Armistice Day. It is a holiday in many countries and signifies the end of WWI. It was declared a holiday in many countries to honor the fallen in WWI. It was later renamed Veterans Day in the USA after WWII. I am sure you can use some Google Fu to learn more, but it seems like a once in a lifetime moment to honor this occasion with a global geocaching event. Who else is better suited to do this.....no one. Please consider it! Seems more significant than random Greek characters or poppies.

Hi all! After much lurking, it seems like you are still in the planning stages of the coin? If I could be so humble as to ask why the obvious connection to 11/11/11 was overlooked? The 11th day, 11th hour, 11th month? It is Remembrance Day, aka Armistice Day. It is a holiday in many countries and signifies the end of WWI. It was declared a holiday in many countries to honor the fallen in WWI. It was later renamed Veterans Day in the USA after WWII. I am sure you can use some Google Fu to learn more, but it seems like a once in a lifetime moment to honor this occasion with a global geocaching event. Who else is better suited to do this.....no one. Please consider it! Seems more significant than random Greek characters or poppies.

Nevermind, I read more of the thread and see some people are averse to the idea of commemorating this holiday. I will go back to lurking. :)

Where can I look at the artwork and what colors other event hosts have chosen?

There is a googledocs spreadsheet being set up that will show all the events and the colors picked. It is not for public use and is by host invite only.

May I request an invitation? Luvbassn & I will be coordinating, but are about 75 miles apart and won't be able to meet to plan our colors.

Nevermind, I read more of the thread and see some people are averse to the idea of commemorating this holiday. I will go back to lurking. :)

The connection to 11th day 11th hour 11th month has not been overlooked. We have been talking about this throughout the thread. I think that maybe you also need to look up poppies and the relationship to Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day, Armistice Day or Veterans Day). Also the poem "In Flanders Field". The poppies referred to in the poem grew in profusion in Flanders in the disturbed earth of the battlefields and cemeteries where war casualties were buried and thus became a symbol of Remembrance Day (see Remembrance poppy). (taken from wikipedia) So you see the poppy that is so prominent on the coin is there for a reason

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie,

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Working on getting an 11 11 11 Googledocs spreadsheet started. It should be ready by the end of the week. In the meantime if you have interest and would like an invitation to the private docs. Email me:

Name:

GeoNick:

Event Location: (state country etc)

Email (for invitation):

I don't think it's about being averse to it - for me it's just that everyone (and every country) comemmorates Remembrance/Armistice/Veterans day in their own way. I don't feel that this event needs to be about it, and don't think that would be insulting or disrespectful.

In fact, pushing the Remembrance/Armistice/Veterans day theme would *almost* breach the "Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda" guideline.

In any case, looking forward to seeing the coin design, no matter what! :)