Premium membership - Groundspeak's Geocaching Android Application

mts0n

I'm a noob, and I was wondering if the paid application was worth the $10. I'm currently using c:geo. Are there any better apps?

C:geo is the best app, however it violates the TOS by Groundspeak. AKA they don't want you to use it.

Are they gonna ban you for using a Free Open Source piece of software on an Open Source Operating System instead of paying to use their service? Probably not... :lol:

I'm a noob, and I was wondering if the paid application was worth the $10. I'm currently using c:geo. Are there any better apps?

C:geo is the best app, however it violates the TOS by Groundspeak. AKA they don't want you to use it.

Are they gonna ban you for using a Free Open Source piece of software on an Open Source Operating System instead of paying to use their service? Probably not... :lol:

I'm just making sure the user is making an informed decision.

I've never used an app that violates the Groundspeak TOU, but I can compare GeoBeagle and the Groundspeak app.

Both allow spur-of-the-moment caching, searching for caches near your current location. The Groundspeak app makes it a lot easier though. To respect the Groundspeak TOU, GeoBeagle opens the Android browser, and then you have to click on the Google Maps link on the cache page and tell the browser to view the link in GeoBeagle. You have to view the cache data in the browser, but you can load the GCxxxxx code and coordinates into GeoBeagle. The Groundspeak app just loads the data for the nearby caches, and you can view all the cache data in the app.

Both allow caching with PQ data. The Groundspeak app makes it easier. With GeoBeagle, you have to download the GPX (or ZIP) file to the device, and then have GeoBeagle load/sync the PQ data. The Groundspeak app shows you a list of your available PQs, and you just click on the one you want to download.

Both show you the cache data (except GeoBeagle shows only the GCxxxxx code and the coordinates for spur-of-the-moment caching). Both let you navigate to the coordinates.

GeoBeagle makes it a lot easier to create new waypoints in the field (stages of a multi-cache, where you parked your car, etc.).

Both let you log Field Notes, although the Groundspeak app makes it much easier. With the Groundspeak app, you just submit the field note. With GeoBeagle, it opens the SMS app, and you have to send the text message it composed for you. It's also a bit of a hassle to set up your account for the SMS messages to work.

GeoBeagle supports Opencaching sites, and I think the developer plans to support other sites (e.g., letterboxing sites). The Groundspeak app naturally supports only geocaching.com.

I was happy with GeoBeagle. I still keep it around, mostly to create waypoints in the field. But otherwise, I use the Groundspeak app.