Garmin GPS V for first-timers?

boboraji

I still use my GPS V. It's an older model but tried and true. You can upload waypoints if you have a cable. I think they are only a serial cable so if you don't have a serial port you'll need a converter.

What's the price on the one you are looking at?

$100 brand new in box

I still use my GPS V. It's an older model but tried and true. You can upload waypoints if you have a cable. I think they are only a serial cable so if you don't have a serial port you'll need a converter.

$100 brand new in box

Well, I had this unit and recently gave it to a local cacher who was using a navigation GPS.

It was a great unit, expecially because it would route you to the cache via roads (with the correct maps loaded), but that was almost 10 years ago when I got it.

I'm not sure I would spend $100 on it today. You can probably get a better more sensitive unit for just a little bit more money.

$100 brand new in box

OUCH!

You can get a brand new (color screen even!) Garmin eTrex Venture HC for $125.

If you are OK with the B&W screen, you can get a new eTrex H for only $95.

Both of these units will outperform the older V model under anything but ideal conditions. The older models do not have the higher sensitivity GPS chipsets of more recent models.

While an interesting "collector's item", I wouldn't consider a V for $100 under any circumstances.

$100 brand new in box

I gave one away recently - couldn't see myself asking anything for it. Not a bad unit but there's a wealth of cheap colour units around. And 24 megabytes of memory fills quickly, though the serial connection takes forever to load with.

I still have my GSP V.. my second GPSr (first was a Magellen SportTrac that I took back for a refund). I bought it around 2003/04 and it was a great unit for a lot of years for me.. they are waterproof and extremely rugged.. I used it many motorcycle and mtn bike rides and the thing has bounced out of it's mount countless times, and never broke.

Having said all that, I would definitely recommend a newer unit. The GPS V receiver is ancient, the processor is slow.. (scrolling around via the cursor takes forever to update the screen), and as others have said, the available memory is not adequate.

$100 brand new in box

$40 brand new in the box maybe. No way $100. 8 years ago it was considered the cream of GPS units by many, but it has long been passed by. A $120 Legend H blows it away performance wise.