Great Fairy Forage?

SXParx

The following post was seen on the Netmums website....... anyone know anything about it? They mention Geocaching.com will the caches be registered online? Seems strange to rely on just anyone to hide the caches regardless of experience. Can see all sorts of problems arising from this.

Fancy being part of a nation wide Disney campaign this half term?

Well look no further...

Disney Fairies are recruiting for parents who know the best hiding places in their areas to take part in the Great Fairy Forage which will be taking place from the 25th October ending the 28th November!

Over 200 boxes will be hidden across the UK during the half term break for the children to discover in the UK’s biggest treasure hunt - and we need your help hiding them.

•Disney are recruiting for 50 x parents across the UK to take part in a nationwide Geocache* (a treasure hunt using GPS based technology)

•Parents are required to hide 4 x boxes, in their local family friendly areas (e.g. parks, popular family walks, etc.) - the boxes and instructions on how to hide them will be provided by Disney

•You'll need a GPS or sat nav to find the locations, lots of phones have the facility inbuilt these days

•Once the boxes are hidden, the location and postcode need to be sent to the email address provided

•As a thank you for taking part in the Disney fairies campaign, each parent will receive a Tinkerbell DVD for their little ones to enjoy.

*Please note that all boxes need to be hidden by Monday 25th October.

If you're interested in taking part, please respond to DisneyNetmums@Consolidatedpr.com no later than Friday 15th October 2010 with your name, postal address and contact telephone number.

*Geocache is a GPS based treasure hunt. Examples of Geocache can be found on Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

thought the same if they aren't working with GC.com no guarantee of caches being placed with approval and in appropriate sites and not on top of existing caches... (not sure they will be though as scheme only runs for a month)

Would be interested in their response.

thought the same if they aren't working with GC.com no guarantee of caches being placed with approval and in appropriate sites and not on top of existing caches... (not sure they will be though as scheme only runs for a month)

Would be interested in their response.

If they aren't listed on GC.com it doesn't matter where they are, how bad they are, how close together they are, or what they do with them. It has nothing to do with us.... :)

You are right.....

but if we are then tarred with the same brush because of poorly placed not approved caches then it may effect us and relationships with have fought hard to establish with landowners and may put existing caches in jeopardy.

Edited by SXParx

•Parents are required to hide 4 x boxes, in their local family friendly areas (e.g. parks, popular family walks, etc.) - the boxes and instructions on how to hide them will be provided by Disney

•You'll need a GPS or sat nav to find the locations, lots of phones have the facility inbuilt these days

•Once the boxes are hidden, the location and postcode need to be sent to the email address provided

I read that as they tell you where.

You have to find the spot to hide the box, so others can find it.

They're doing it on postcode to find the box??? :)

Edited by Bear and Ragged
Disney Fairies are recruiting for parents who know the best hiding places in their areas to take part in the Great Fairy Forage which will be taking place from the 25th October ending the 28th November!

From this part I read it as the parents would decide the hiding places.

I did some searching on their website and they have a full page on geocaching (Get Active: Geocaching). It's actually got some good and accurate info IMHO. Hopefully the other webpage is just lacking this info because of "oops I forgot to add that link or info".

Still I would be very interested in seeing what they've actually have planned.

Edited by MikeyG.

I saw this as well, I have emailed them for more info, as I would rather set them myself than have bad ones placed, as the BBC did something similar here and it was a nightmare, and now most of them are archived or been adopted.

have they email you back and if so what do you have to do?

i don't mind setting some if they are going to do it properly

I saw this as well, I have emailed them for more info, as I would rather set them myself than have bad ones placed, as the BBC did something similar here and it was a nightmare, and now most of them are archived or been adopted.

I havent had a reply yet, but it was only Thursday I emailed them, i will update if I get a response.

Edited by reddeeps

question is this promotion will be limited....what happens to the boxes afterwards do they become litter?

I shot them an email as well and this is one of the questions I asked. Hopefully an answer will be provided to someone. I bet they are getting quite a few emails about this event from registered members here.

ddac6c0f-68da-4f62-97ed-7f9f9958b431.jpg

Yes, this old chestnut again.

It's fine if everyone has iPhone 4s or the latest Android-based phones with a decent averaging app, but it's unlikely.

I can see a pile of 'caches being placed by phones that use cell masts to do triangulation.

In addition, geocache magazine asked the other day "What advice would you give to people joining the hobby?" and one of the accepted ones was to find 100 caches before placing the first one.

This is encouraging people to place 'caches without even finding one!

I havent had a reply yet, but it was only Thursday I emailed them, i will update if I get a response.

Can you (or any other people here who hear back from them) please send me a copy of whatever you get back? I would be interested to know what they say.

They have not contacted anyone at Groundspeak about this at all.

Seems its not officially recognised by Groundspeak so I wonder how the Disney Corp will feel about sponsoring it when absolutely no mention will be allowed of their company in the cache descriptions due to it being considered commercial.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Groundspeak - or us - and there's no mention anywhere of them intending to list the caches on Groundspeak. So, again, other than them calling it geocaching and referring people to (the publicly accessible) Geocaching.com to see what it's all about, it doesn't have any more to do with us than say Terracaching, Navicache, or Opencaching. And I don't recall a forum outcry over the quality, proximity or experience of any caches placed on those sites???

Edited by keehotee
Seems its not officially recognised by Groundspeak so I wonder how the Disney Corp will feel about sponsoring it when absolutely no mention will be allowed of their company in the cache descriptions due to it being considered commercial.

You're assuming a couple of things there:

(1) that Groundspeak wouldn't make a promotional deal or otherwise allow commercial content

(2) that the caches will be listed at Geocaching.com in the first place

On point (1), there is no blanket-wide site ban on commercial content in caches. It's just that the volunteer reviewers are not authorised to approve such content. In 99% of cases that comes down to more or less the same thing, but if you place a cache and the reviewer considers it to be commercial, you can take it to the "Appeals" address and it may be authorised, either because Groundspeak considers that it isn't commercial, or because they are prepared to allow the degree of advertising which it involves.

In this case, however, I suspect that (2) would have been(*) the determining factor. The only mention of Geocaching.com in the original message seems to be to give people some background info. I suppose that some people might try to get their caches listed on Geocaching.com, but it seems more likely that it was a local initiative by someone in a PR agency trying to be "cutting-edge". :lol:

(*) I say "would have been" because I am unable to find the message which the OP posted anywhere on the Netmums site. A cached copy can be found via Google, but the corresponding original post in the Netmums forum has been deleted, and since its author was a site admin, I'm guessing that this isn't because it was considered spam.

A few days ago the PR company contacted me via the GAGB for some advice on this promotion........

Neither I nor the GAGB have any links with this promotion with the exception that at short notice they contacted us for a bit of advice.

OK, they have seen the this forum thread and have asked that I clarify a few points.

The caches will only be listed on Netmums not on Geocaching.com.

They will be asking the placers to follow the GAGB guidelines (with the exception obviously of the no commercial caches bit).

There will be instructions to ensure they have landowner permission and to ensure that at the end of the promotion (1 month) that the boxes are removed.

They do not want to upset the geocaching community or bring the pastime into disrepute.

Ah well, with more time I guess they could have worked with Groundspeak and made Project ............. caches.

Absolutely - I think this could have been a brilliant PR exercise, but unfortunately it wasn't quite thought out properly.

Can I suggest that anyone externally reading this thread in the first instance contacts Groundspeak and then we can all volunteer to help!

I for one have utmost respect for Netmums and they do some brilliant things around the community. 'Caching IS right up their street.

Just an update - i have had a reply if anyone is still interested.

I am still going to wait for futher instructiosn and see if its possible to do them and submit to GS as it seems a good idea.

reply below...

Hi there,

Thank for your email and interest in the Great Fairy Forage from Disney Fairies. Please bear with us as we process your details - we've had a high volume of enquiries. We will be in touch shortly to let you know about the help that is required for the Great Fairy Forage in your area

From

Disney Fairies Team

Just an update - i have had a reply if anyone is still interested.

I am still going to wait for futher instructiosn and see if its possible to do them and submit to GS as it seems a good idea.

reply below...

Hi there,

Thank for your email and interest in the Great Fairy Forage from Disney Fairies. Please bear with us as we process your details - we've had a high volume of enquiries. We will be in touch shortly to let you know about the help that is required for the Great Fairy Forage in your area

From

Disney Fairies Team

The exact email I got last night. I think it would be fun to do. Might even see if our school would be interested in having the kids take part.

Hiya- I applied to hide these caches in my area as I have some experience of geocaching.

I have just received this email

"Hi there,

Thank you very much for the taking the time to get in touch and showing an interest in the Great Fairy Forage from Disney Fairies. We have been overwhelmed by the response.

We are very happy to tell you that out of hundreds of people who showed an interest in the activity, we would like you to be involved in organising the Great Fairy Forage in your area.

We will be sending over the boxes and kit which you will need to hide which should be arriving with you tomorrow, so keep an ear out for the postman! An instruction pack with everything you need to know will be emailed to you in the next few days.

It's worth bearing in mind that we are looking to receive details of where you have hidden your boxes no later than Monday 25th October and you will need a GPS device (sat-nav or iPhone, for example) to carry out this activity. If you think that this may be a problem then please let us know by replying to this email.

We will be on hand to help you every step of the way and look forward to working with you.

Thank you again for getting involved.

From

Disney Fairies Team"

And am happy to let you know more when I received the box.

Jacq

We have just received ours, we got five boxes and two DVD's and loads of leaflets. I have not received the instructions as of yet though.

Reddeeps; as we are in the same area if and when you decide where you are going to place them do you want to PM me so we don't place them too close together?

Oh and ours came by courier...

Edited by Bodkin76

We have just received ours, we got five boxes and two DVD's and loads of leaflets. I have not received the instructions as of yet though.

Reddeeps; as we are in the same area if and when you decide where you are going to place them do you want to PM me so we don't place them too close together?

Oh and ours came by courier...

great idea, I have places in mind, but bright pink may be difficult LOL

Will pm you

Miss Jenn, we havent got the instructions yet, but I was hoping we might be able to list them on GC.com as well. Or will you consider it commercial? Couldn't we list them and just say something like part of the disney netmums fairy forage. Or just fairy forage and leave the disney bit out. Would be a shame for them not to get a wider audience.

Groundspeak is always happy to talk to potential partners, once we know who they are. :huh: Sometimes, very creative projects are born which are great for the community as a whole. Just as an example, here is one current example going on in the Seattle area involving temporary caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocrush/

Groundspeak has not been contacted by anyone from Disney or from netmums about the Great Fairy Forage. As they are the owners of this venture, they need to reach out to Groundspeak and ask for permission / explore a partnership:

appeals@geocaching.com

Until then, commercial cache guidelines are what they always are. :yikes:

Just another nail in the coffin of the sport! How long before others get in on the act and "caches" begin to spread uncontrolled throughout the land?

Must say, though, reading some of the GS Forum entries make it sound as though Groundspeak is almost claiming copyright, monopoly and global control on hiding tupperware under trees and rocks.

1. I have just received an e-mail from nutmums stating that are putting the whole thing on hold for two weeks as they want to do some fine-tuning, what ever that may be.

2. There have been a few posts from people of the opinion that the people behind this promotion, activity, whatever you wish to call it should have sought permission from Groundspeak before embarking on the venture. It is what it is; for a very limited time, some pink boxes are going to be placed in parks and easy walks around the country and then removed. They are not talking about trackables, trading items, or websites that people can log visits etc. I think there is danger of a simple promotion being blown out of all proportion. Best idea? Lets wait until we have the full picture before anyone hits the big red panic button?

Must say, though, reading some of the GS Forum entries make it sound as though Groundspeak is almost claiming copyright, monopoly and global control on hiding tupperware under trees and rocks.

I don't see that at all. Groundspeak just doesn't want its site used to promote Disney merchandise (unless Disney pays for advertising, or comes up with some other mutually beneficial arrangement). That strikes me as fairly reasonable.

If Groundspeak was claiming "copyright, monopoly and global control", presumably Disney's lawyers would have had a nastygram telling them to cease and desist from using the word "Geocaching" in the name of the promotion. Since Groundspeak has no copyright on the word Geocaching - it's not a © or ® or ™ - that won't be happening.

1. I have just received an e-mail from nutmums stating that are putting the whole thing on hold for two weeks as they want to do some fine-tuning, what ever that may be.

LOL @ typo ("nutmums"). ;)

Edited by sTeamTraen