Garmin 76cx Faulty micro SD slot

cmcffpm

I have a Garmin 76cx and the micro sd slot will no longer hold the card in place. When I install the card it keeps popping out. Garmin wants $110 to fix it. I doubt the GPS is even worth that much. Does anyone know how to fix this issue or where a less expensive repair option may be? Thank you.

Garmin wants $110 to fix it. I doubt the GPS is even worth that much.

That depends on how you define what it’s worth. $110 is definitely less than the cost of a new one. The lowest price I found of 3 places I looked was $250 for a new one on Amazon. Could you buy a used one as good as yours (if the card slot worked) for $110? You would have to check eBay, but I doubt it. And if you have any locked map products unlocked to this one, then you have to factor in the cost of replacing them if you get a different unit. If you get this one repaired, you’ll still have access to your locked map products. Or if Garmin replaces it with a factory refurb, they’ll issue you new unlock codes for the replacement unit.

When buying or selling used GPS equipment, I usually figure it should sell for no more than half of the cost of a new one. So if your card slot were working right, your 76CSx might well be worth $110.

On the other hand, if you really want to upgrade, this gives you a good reason.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue or where a less expensive repair option may be?
I’ve never heard of anyone else who repairs them, except owners who have the necessary skills to do it themselves.

Thanks for the replies. roy is correct, the 60csx which I also have has the metal clip that locks in place. The unit I am having problems is the 76cx. It has a slot similar to a cell phone that snaps down in to place. Mine no longer catches and the sd card just pops back up.

If it was the 76csx it may well be worth fixing. At this point I have placed a piece of electrical tape over the slot and it has held so far. The problems may come when I have to replace the batteries and I don't know if it will affect the waterproof properties Other than this the unit works perfectly. It is actually more accurate than my 60csx just no altimeter and electronic compass.

I may put it on ebay and describe the problem. Someone with some fix it knowledge may be able to repair it easily and have a very nice GPS.