Driving, Bicycling or other

Fkn Don

Forgive me if this topic has been brought up before but I was just wondering. This is not to say one persons preference is better or worse than another, just a curiosity that hit me today. I was curious to see which way other people prefer getting to geocaches and reasons behind them. I prefer to bicycle myself. It seems I always come across something interesting each time I go out that I knew I would had missed if I had been speeding by with my car. Have gotten some nice scenic pictures this way too. So I just want to know, what is your favorite mode of transportation when it comes to geocaching and why? Car, bicycling, or other. ;)

Here's just a simple pole for this topic.

http://www.snappoll.com/poll/344220.php

Edited by Fkn Don

GeoCycle FTW!!! get your exercise and see the best sights! driving, IMO, defeats the purpose of geocaching...

i exclusively bike to caches, unless i'm somewhere and know there is one nearby (like in the parking lot of where i am). other than that, the only other way i get there is walking near work on my lunch breaks

Edited by illDecree

I started caching to get exercise, so right now I primarily walk. . .usually I drive to a particular location, and from there, I walk to all the caches. I'm working my way up to a geo-cycle, but I'm not in good enough shape yet!

edit: I tried voting on the poll, but got a message stating "You cannot vote repeatedly." ;)

Edited by lomocacher

I prefer to drive to the trailhead and walk the rest of the way.

I used to cycle frequently but probably have used my bike 2-3 times in the 15 years I've lived here. I live 3/4 the way up a mountain (well mountain by NJ standards) and the main road near my house that I would have to ride a mile on to get to any safe riding is twisty and narrow and cars regularly drive at unsafe speeds on it. Every few years a bicyclist gets taken out by a car on it.

Methods I've used:

Car

foot

canoe

downhill ski

snowshoe

Walking when it's close enough, cycling when it's a bit further away. I've also seen caches you can only get to by boat! Part of the reason I do geocaching is that it's a great way to get some exercise, so I don't see the point of driving from cache to cache (drive-by caching).

So far via ATV, Truck and Kayak. Most involve some walking and some involved pretty good sized hikes after parking the the primary method of transportation. Did a few from the house while walking the doggies too. Hard to decide which one we prefer.... but would probably have to pick the ATV or the Kayak as the favorites.

Edited by Pipeline Putters

I prefer to hike to caches but it depends on the cache. I drive to some if I am on a road trip.

I just bought my friend's bike and I did some caching by bike for the first time yesterday. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to do some caching by bike on the Trans Canada Trail this fall.

Edited by Bucephala

When all 6 of u are caching it's minivan and foot patrol... when it's just Mr and Mrs MoFry we usually walk or pack the bikes in the back of the van... When Mrs is working odd shifts Mr likes to pedal around weather permitting... Snow is coming soon so the bike will be parked for a few months... we may give snowshoeing a try...

I prefer caches that require me to walk. I usually drive to a trailhead and hike along a trail with several caches along it. I've considered moutain biking along some trails that allow it but with the 25 to 30 pounds of gear I like to haul around with me, hiking seems to be the most practical method. I have however searched for a few caches while out on long road bicycle rides.

Glad to see so many people out there like to bike. Not picking on those that don't but theres just an extra feeling of fulfillment for me when i bike all the way out to a cache. I've even gone a couple cities over doing this. Though some of my friends call me crazy to do so, lol. Well i guess I am a lil bit, hahaha.

I've been known to roll with a micro scooter on a few bike trails. There actually is a picture of me riding it up on Twitter somewhere, but I don't want to post it, as it makes me look fat. B) Not to mention ridiculuous, seeing as I'm 6' 195 lbs., although I do consider it an adult-sized scooter. I also did a 13 mile round-trip cache outing on a gravel rails to trails earlier this year on my wife's old Mountain bike. But that was an abnormality, I hadn't taken a serious bike ride in years, and don't currently own a working bicycle.

To answer the basic question though, put me down for driving to the trailhead and walking 99.9% of the time.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Because of low cache saturation for most of the spots where I live I typically drive. Biking on those back roads is just not safe let alone biking for 20 miles to get a cache. I'll go to the trail head/parking area and find the cache from there. Plus it helps my mom participate as well as she's not able to hike long distances or ride a bike.

Since I do't have a car I motorcycle, most of the time,

but some of the "parking" is too sketchy to leave the beastie at

so the bycycle is definatley up for a dust off and service,

just got a handlebar mount which hopefully will be fitted sometime in the next few hours ready for a day of fun hopefully in the sun

Having limited mobility, most caches I drive to. However, I also use my scooter for a lot of them.

39a858ba-ebf8-4acc-8b31-394f8a49aaec.jpg

I applaud you for leaving the house and enjoying the outdoors despite your limited mobility.

As for me I walk, bike or subway to my caches. Living in Seoul with no cars limits the caches i can find. There are tons of caches 20-80 miles from Seoul id LOVE to get but with no car, they are impossible.

I've seen alot of interesting methods I haven't even thought about before. This is a very interesting thread I think. And kudos to those with limited mobility. Glad to see you're still staying as active as you can. Keep up the replies. I'm sure there are still some unique methods people know of out there, lol. And giving me lots of ideas.