Caching in Israel

Hi,

I am going to Israel next week. ;) Staying at the

Park Plaza Orchid Tel Aviv

79 Hayarkon St., Tel Aviv, 63432, Israel.

I don't think I want to venture far by myself. Anybody know how I check for caches close to the hotel. Geocaching.com just let me put in the country.

Thanks,

CachingGrandpa

I just put this much of the address field in the "Hide and Seek a cache form":

79 Hayarkon St., Tel Aviv, Israel

It returned a list of caches like any other search by address and showed one called "Independance Cache" (http://coord.info/GC24ZER) at .5 miles away. The next closest (Elevator) is currently disabled.

I've geocaches in lots of foreign countries and have certainly been to some places where I was reluctant to go wondering around by myself. Reading travel books and web sites should give you a good idea of the relative safety. I'd start reading all the past logs on any caches you think you might want to find. When I went to Pretoria, South Africa a few months ago I read a few logs on a couple of caches which described some harrowing experiences (one geocacher was mugged, not to be confused with muggled).

You can also send a message to cache owners prior to leaving and ask them directly about the area the cache is in. I was working on a very difficult puzzle cache near Johannesburg a few years ago and had contacted the CO and he said if I solved it (which I never did) and came to find it he'd meet me and buy me a beer. I only had an overnight layover on that visit (on the way to Zambia) so couldn't take him up on the offer.

If you have time, you might want to go to the location of Elevator anyway. It's pretty cool, if you like old mechanical things. Just be aware that it's an apartment building.

There are plenty of other caches that are fine. I can't look it up from here, but there was one near the wishing bridge in Jaffa that was particularly interesting (the area more so than the cache).

I always figured, if a cache is placed in a certain area, it is generally safe to visit that area. Based on the assumption that a CO would be just as reluctant to place a cache in a shady area as a cacher is to search in that area. Am I being naive? Any world cachers care to fill me in?

Edited by gijoe411

I always figured, if a cache is placed in a certain area, it is generally safe to visit that area. Based on the assumption that a CO would be just as reluctant to place a cache in a shady area as a cacher is to search in that area. Am I being naive? Any world cachers care to fill me in?

I wouldn't automatically assume that. Downtown Seattle has a couple caches in places I won't go for safety reasons. And what a person considers "safe" will vary. I have no trouble caching in the woods on my own, but I have a friend (big tall guy) who is scared of critters and would never do that (lions and tigers and bears, oh my).

Back on topic...reading cache logs to determine which Tel Aviv caches are in the comfort zone is great advice.