Shipping Cost

Team kizb

I've been buying on ebay for awhile and just started selling as well. It seems like some coins have reasonable shipping rates, but most seem to be high. Not sure why people are being charged upwards of $3-$5 in shipping for one coin?

I was able to ship a 1.75" coin to Germany the other day for only $2.28, granted can't use delivery confirmation, but that only adds $.019. I've also received coins from the east coast with delivery confirmation and the shipping was only $2.19.

So please add your comments. Am I just missing something here, or or cachers being over charged Geocoin shipping fees?

Sellers on ebay are allowed to charge for supplies. They not free!

Supplies include mailers, bubble wrap, tape, labels and gasoline. Combined, this adds $1 to my personal shipping charges, which I think is very fair.

And for the record, delivery confirmation is only 19 cents when you purchase it through paypal. Doing so only gives you proof you printed a label, not proof of shipment (a requirement for seller protection). Delivery confirmation with an initial scan costs 80-cents for first class parcels.

Edited by AtlantaGal

With Delivery confirmation, even with using PayPal, doesn't the package still get its initial scan when it goes to the post office?

No. It says they received electronic notification as well as stating that it is NOT proof of shipment. Where as the green form scanned has the time, date and the post office it was mailed from.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Ridiculous shipping costs is one of the biggest deterrents for me buying coins on eBay. If it's more than $3 for shipping for a single coin, the seller has no shot at my business.

Better for others, who like the coin then.

Do you think, envelopes are given out for free? Bubble mailers cost me in our local office supplies. Shipping is not only postage, but also other supplies and my time to go to the post office....

Shipping and handling is usually a bit more than the USPS is charging... Or any other postal service.

And I might add, that the postage in the US is really low, compared to the German Post.

Ridiculous shipping costs is one of the biggest deterrents for me buying coins on eBay. If it's more than $3 for shipping for a single coin, the seller has no shot at my business.

Better for others, who like the coin then.

Do you think, envelopes are given out for free? Bubble mailers cost me in our local office supplies. Shipping is not only postage, but also other supplies and my time to go to the post office....

Shipping and handling is usually a bit more than the USPS is charging... Or any other postal service.

And I might add, that the postage in the US is really low, compared to the German Post.

Lo-freakin'-l, I ain't paying you to take my coins to the post office. That's your burden as a seller on eBay.

You want to make up for your "low prices" through excessive S&H? Get some other sucker. I was born at night, but not last night. My feelings on this extend far past geocoins. I've sold on eBay for years, and have never taken advantage of buyers like a lot of folks selling geocoins do. And they do.

snip

snip

For driving to the post office to you pay yourself a prevailing wage as a professional driver (bus driver, truck driver etc) or the minimum wage? So if it takes an hour to get to the post office is your customer responsible for a $10-$20 s&h fee for a single coin?

snip

snip

For driving to the post office to you pay yourself a prevailing wage as a professional driver (bus driver, truck driver etc) or the minimum wage? So if it takes an hour to get to the post office is your customer responsible for a $10-$20 s&h fee for a single coin?

Actually, I've never sold coins on eBay, but I sometimes bid on them.

The shipping and handling is known to the bidder beforehand. So if you consider them to high, just bid lower and hope to get the coin for the low bid. It's up to you as a buyer. You know the price, so calculate the shipping into your bid.

I don't understand where the problem is... :)

I've also received coins from the east coast with delivery confirmation and the shipping was only $2.19.

I typically charge $3.00-$3.25 for shipping, which includes shipping confirmation ($0.80) and sometimes insurance (up to $1.65), so I don't see a different from the $2.19, mailers cost me about $0.14 each. I don't use the paypal confirmation ($0.19) since ebay doesn't reccognize it as a legitimate confirmation of delivery. For heavy coins it can cost higher too.

snip

snip

Actually, I've never sold coins on eBay, but I sometimes bid on them.

The shipping and handling is known to the bidder beforehand. So if you consider them to high, just bid lower and hope to get the coin for the low bid. It's up to you as a buyer. You know the price, so calculate the shipping into your bid.

I don't understand where the problem is... :)

The problem is you mentioned the cost of YOUR time to go to the post office... if you insinuate you're a seller and expect to be paid for your time to go to the post office I was just curious if you pay yourself an hourly minimum wage or prevailing wage.

Frankly I do no buy from sellers who need such high rates for s&h.... as you said, it's all the better for others [who want to bid up the cost of the already over-inflated coin]. There's plenty of meat out there for all the sellers, decent and honest as well as not so much.

Edited by Droo

is there a way to ask the mods to merge the two threads about shipping costs into one thread? or close down the shorter one?

I asked for this one to be deleted when I saw that two got created for some reason. Guess the mods took the weekend off :) So I'm sure this one will either be locked or merged in the near future.

Different countries, different currencies, different postal services.

Here in Switzerland, shipping is prohibitive. there is no flat rate, shipping is dependant on the weight. The heavier the coin, the higher the price. If the coin's weight is too near to a limit, the envelope makes it exceed the weight. 5 CHF for international shipping for letters between 50 and 100 grams, which is generally the case for recent coins + mailer + etiquettes.

That, plus the exchange rate constantly fluctuating, I have to adjust the prices so that I don't lose money with each mailer sent... been there done that :)

Too bad if buyers turn away from some listings, I'm not gonna give away shipping costs...

I swear I'm not making a lot of money on shipping, that's for sure! If you are curious, just compare between the asked price and the one on the stamp. Easy, I do it all the time to determine if shipping is reasonable or not. Reasonable is not the price I paid, it's the difference between what I paid and what I see the seller paid.

Edited by mar-elendili

Hi,

i have a question. How much i have to add as shipping costs.

If i wan´t send out only one coin from germany i have to pay at the post office 6,00 Euro thats only the postage. My time, the bubblemailer and all the other things are not included. So if i would sell a coin to US i should have to add an shipping rate in a high of 8,34$ plus the costs for bubblemailer, time and so on.

How many people would bid for an coin where they have to pay round about 10$ for shipping?

Thats only an information for shipping from germany to US.

Best regards René

Wow, not cheap! Not looking forward to that high shipping when I move to Germany next year.

Hi,

i have a question. How much i have to add as shipping costs.

If i wan´t send out only one coin from germany i have to pay at the post office 6,00 Euro thats only the postage. My time, the bubblemailer and all the other things are not included. So if i would sell a coin to US i should have to add an shipping rate in a high of 8,34$ plus the costs for bubblemailer, time and so on.

How many people would bid for an coin where they have to pay round about 10$ for shipping?

Thats only an information for shipping from germany to US.

Best regards René