Is geocaching a sport?

Natman3400

From the Free Online Dictionary:

sport (spôrt, sprt)

n.

a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

3. An active pastime; recreation.

From Dictionary.com

sport 

–noun

1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.

3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

From Merriam-Webster online

Definition of SPORT

noun

1 a : a source of diversion : recreation b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in.

So yes, geocaching is by definition a sport.

Edited by briansnat

Yes, geocaching is a sport. Why? Well, orienteering is a sport and geocaching is a spinoff of that. Geocaching meets every definition of "sport". So, it must be a sport.

Besides, they consider golf a sport and geocaching is far more physically demanding, intellectually intensive, and requires a much larger skill set.

And for those who claim it is an "activity"... well, getting out of bed is an activity, going to the bathroom is an activity, eating a candy bar is an activity, anything involving movement is an "activity". I hope ya'll consider geocaching more than that.

;)

Edited by SSO JOAT

By definition, a sport has rules you have to follow and it does NOT have to be competitive.

Even so, there is no way you can deny that geocaching does have some very strongly competitive aspects to it.

I can't think of one sport that's not competitive.

Geocaching is not competitive if you view it as it's described by Groundspeak.

I don't see geocaching as a sport.

A hobby, an activity, an adventure, a game. Any of these labels are ok with me.

\Mette

Geocaching, to me, is what you make of it. It can be a hobby, an activity, an adventure, a game, and yes, even a sport. Its all what you want to get out of it. Sport is only when, by some of your definitions, competition is involved? Well a friend of mine and I have decided to make a challenge and the first one to get 100 caches gets a certain item from the challenger. Since we do that then it takes on the aspect of a sport. So you really can't say its one thing or another. It all comes down to what you want, and what you do get out of it. Thats just my opinion though.

Geocaching is a sport like geocachers are athletes.

That being said, I don't qualify NASCAR, chess, or motocross as sports either. And definitely not dog shows, no matter how many they show in ESPN, "the total sports network."

Lol try explaining that to Bucket(the motorcross part). I have told her that motorcross is not a sport and she will not talk to me. Now on the other hand, I consider poker a sport lol.

Yes, geocaching is a sport. Why? Well, orienteering is a sport and geocaching is a spinoff of that. Geocaching meets every definition of "sport". So, it must be a sport.

Disagreement. Geocaching is not a spinoff of orienteering to my knowledge; it's closer to letterboxing (which is older than either one). I used to be a competitive orienteer, and I do NOT consider geocaching a sport. It's a recreational activity.

Orienteering is a competitive sport with timed events, head-to-head competition on the same courses, competitive classes and rankings, and regional, national, and international championships. Elite orienteers train as serious athletes. Orienteering has strict rules and regulations, administered by the IOF (International Orienteering Federation), and each competing country has its own orienteering organization, which supports the sport and the athletes and determines rankings and team representation at international competitions.

Geocaching is a casual recreational activity that you can do almost anytime, anywhere, with anyone, and pick whichever caches you feel like doing, in whatever terrain. The only governing body is the company that runs this website. Does it have competitive aspects? Sure. But even FTF races would not pass muster in serious sports competition. Just sayin'....

Edited by hydnsek

That being said, I don't qualify NASCAR, chess, or motocross as sports either. And definitely not dog shows, no matter how many they show in ESPN, "the total sports network."

Lol try explaining that to Bucket(the motorcross part). I have told her that motorcross is not a sport and she will not talk to me. Now on the other hand, I consider poker a sport lol.

Really? I always thought of poker as GAMBLING. lol

Really? I always thought of poker as GAMBLING. lol

No no no when your winning it is a sport. Only when you start losing does it start to become gambling and a problem. lol ;)

By definition, a sport has rules you have to follow and it does NOT have to be competitive.

Even so, there is no way you can deny that geocaching does have some very strongly competitive aspects to it.

\Mette

How about mountain and rock climbing? They are certainly sports, but are not competitive (well anything can be made into a competition so I'm sure there are climbing races somewhere).

How about downhill or cross country skiing? They certainly are sports but only a very small percentage of the participants race, just as a small percentage of geocachers compete for FTF.

Competition does not a sport make. Where is the competition in fishing? Yet fishing is a sport. OK there are tournaments, but again that is only a very small percentage of fishermen.

But for those who insist that to be a sport, there needs to be a competetion (and by definition that is wrong) there is competition in geocaching. Besides the FTF competition, for many cachers there is a numbers competition. Also, when I'm caching I'm competing against terrain, the weather and the cache hider.

Where do you usually find hand held GPSs being sold? The sporting goods section of department stores. Where do you buy most of your geocaching equipment (packs, maps, safety gear, water bottles, hiking shoes, etc.)? In the sporting goods section.

Edited by briansnat

Dragging out my bumper sticker again. :(;)

0000031931_Display-35.gif

There ya go. It follows my two rules:

Its on the Internet, therefore true; Its on a bumper sticker, therefore true.

(kidding).

Personally I don't see geocaching as a sport. Sports to be implies competition with set rules that everyone agrees with. I think its quite clear that nothing in the guidelines has anything to do with competition, and any competitive behaviour is made up by other cachers, and based on the arguments and discussions in these forums, consensus has not been reached :laughing:

I can see it being called a game, or an activity. Personally I list it as a hobby whenever asked.

Geocaching is a leisure activity.

Wikipedia defines leisure as "Leisure is one's discretionary time spent in non-compulsory activities, time spent away from cares and toils."

That sounds pretty accurate to me. The wikipedia page also includes an incomplete list of leisure activity categories. Although geocaching isn't included (someone should fix that), it includes juggling and snowball fighting.

By the English definition, anything that uses energy or force or is an active movement or operation is an "activity".

Everything you do is an activity. Picking your nose is an activity. Of course geocaching is an activity, because everything you do is an activity. Doh!

A game is, "a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators"

The synonym of game is sport.

Definitions from the dictionary for sport, "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess esp. in the out of doors. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime. to amuse oneself with some pleasant pastime or recreation. to engage in some open-air or athletic pastime"

Thus, the activity of Geocaching is a Sport, not a Game.

...Besides, they consider golf a sport and geocaching is far more physically demanding, intellectually intensive, and requires a much larger skill set....

Obviously, you know absolutely nothing about golf. If it were easier than geocaching, I'd be on the PGA Tour. :)

\Mette

How about mountain and rock climbing? They are certainly sports, but are not competitive (well anything can be made into a competition so I'm sure there are climbing races somewhere).

How about downhill or cross country skiing? They certainly are sports but only a very small percentage of the participants race, just as a small percentage of geocachers compete for FTF.

Competition does not a sport make. Where is the competition in fishing? Yet fishing is a sport. OK there are tournaments, but again that is only a very small percentage of fishermen.

But for those who insist that to be a sport, there needs to be a competetion (and by definition that is wrong) there is competition in geocaching. Besides the FTF competition, for many cachers there is a numbers competition. Also, when I'm caching I'm competing against terrain, the weather and the cache hider.

Where do you usually find hand held GPSs being sold? The sporting goods section of department stores. Where do you buy most of your geocaching equipment (packs, maps, safety gear, water bottles, hiking shoes, etc.)? In the sporting goods section.

Or in the shoe department, the housewares department and the school supplies area.

...Besides, they consider golf a sport and geocaching is far more physically demanding, intellectually intensive, and requires a much larger skill set....

Obviously, you know absolutely nothing about golf. If it were easier than geocaching, I'd be on the PGA Tour. :)

Agreed. Golf is very intellectually intensive. There are many things to consider when making a golf shot (which club, wind direction, hazards, personal limitations).

Geocaching is only physically demanding if you choose caches that are physically demanding. Getting out of a car to walk 15m to a cache is not even close to demanding.

Geocaching is multi-dimensional. It's what you make of it. I'm not competitive in it so for me it's a hobby that sometimes also involves sports (hiking, biking).

It looks like by the definition of "sport" it is one. However if you do classify it as a sport, the word sport loses its meaning because almost everything becomes a sport. I dunno I also don't classify Texas hold em as a sport and I know some people do. Also many consider playing video games a sport (because again you can win money doing it) but I don't. I guess its semantics, but I don't consider it one.

I wouldn't consider it a sport because it's not competitive. Some people may try to make it that way but there are no tournaments or competitions. Even cheerleading has judged competitions.

Geocaching is an adventuring hobby that keeps statistics.

I'll have to find the pdf on my machine somewhere... but the various Police and Fire Games recently have had competitive geocaching events for team and solo players... they use 'private' caches not listed ones... but the events are real... I know Ontario did for sure, I'm not sure if it is an International event at the World's though.

Time for some research... There is also a new thing called Geoteering similar to Orienteering... again using closed 'caches'.

On my own thoughts, I'm glad we seem to have decided to put the Pro leagues into the BIG business section where they belong, not under sports.

I think caching does come under the heading of being a sport...

Doug 7rxc

Golf is only physically demanding if you choose courses that are physically demanding. There's nothing physical or intellectual about the local put-put course at the gas station. :)

By the English definition, a "sport" does NOT have to be competitive. Not an opinion, but what is published in the language's rule book (i.e. dictionary).

Controversally, there have been several who've stated that it's a 'game' but not a 'sport' because of the competition aspect. Well, the English definition of a game includes the qualifier that it MUST be competitive. So, the term 'game' doesn't fit geocaching in the broader sense, whereas 'sport' fits it perfectly.