Advice for first hides... *pic*

03stage2

Well we have found some caches and are now ready to plant a couple of our own! Just looking for advice as a good "prize" for the first folks to find it. Is it bad taste to do gift cards or something similar?

Here is a really bad cellphone pic of the 2 kits I made. Cant wait to go hide them!

IMG00153-20101009-1106.jpg

HI!

I don't know what is "kosher" and what isn't yet, I am still pretty new myself. I would think a small gift card (like $5-10) would be REALLY SWEET! Although, I love love love gift cards myself. Perhaps one to Amazon.com? That way it is pretty universal? Or to REI for caching stuff?

Let me know what happens (and where you are at so I can try to nab your FTF!)

-MatildaPants-

I think I will do some gift cards to perhaps chick-fil-a? I like the idea of picking up a fellow cachers lunch. We go hiding tomorrow so look for our new caches in the afternoon!

And as for the box, I am a printer so I did up a whole logo for the wife and I "J&S Caching." Being able to print custom stickers at work is a plus!

Gift cards would not be in bad taste. Many people leave FTF prizes and gift cards are fairly common ones. Still FTF prizes are unnecessary, not expected and in most areas, not that common. All most FTF hounds want out of the cache is a blank log book.

If you have the funds, go for it, but I think it's better to use the extra money you would have spent on the FTF prize to spruce up the rest of the contents for everybody.

Love the work on the containers, but a little constructive criticism if you don't mind. Since you went through the trouble of camouflaging them, try making your "&" sign a bit more subdued. The bright color kind of negates all the other camo work you did.

My partner and I hit the dollar store and pick up all kinds of swag. LED flashilghts, screwdrivers, USB cables, GPS food, and for the kids, card games, toys, small puzzle books, almost anything a kid would like. ;)

I also include a piece of paper with a picture of George on it. It's nice to get a cuppa' coffee or soda or hot chocolate after a few hours of caching.

Most people really like a clean, fresh, log to sign and that is the real prize. :(

I agree with the empty logbook chorus. When I'm FTF, that's all I'm looking for. Gift cards, etc. are really unnecessary, although I supposed they'd be nice to find. I'd be more inclined to go with a geocaching-related FTF.

In a recent series of caches that I posted, I had the first four as multi-caches and they contained the coordinates for the fifth and final cache. In that last one, I put an unactivated TB tag (complete with code). The other caches have assorted good smaller items. I assumed that the first finder would probably pick one of the better items of their choice.

Frankly, I'd rather folks spent money on a good container (which you did) and good swag in general. Unless you're going to stick unactivated geocoins or something in the cache, I'll probably just sign the log and let my daughter trade for whatever she wants if I'm FTF.

Great job on those caches!!!!!!!!!!

Vickyth

Frankly, I'd rather folks spent money on a good container (which you did) and good swag in general. {snip}

Great job on those caches!!!!!!!!!!

Vickyth

To further clarify a bit.... my partner and I use ammo cans for our caches in the woods, and those are the ones we load up with lots of swag.

For me the fun of a FTF is just being the first! But I have found a few FTF prizes like a plastic toy medal with "FTF" painted on it or a FTF pin badge that you can get from online geocaching stores. They may only be fairly cheap trinkets but because they remind me of finding that empty logbook they are like solid gold to me ;)