Explain why did you choose your Users Name/Geocaching name

DisneyXtreme

I used to play Halo on Xbox and my name is Jono however I liked oysters so my mates used to call me Jeano (like Jean Claude Van dadgum) anyway we went to add JeanoVanDamn into the username into the Halo it was to large to fit so after a few beers we shortened it and from then I became Jeanovanwam over 10 years later I still get called that name!

My user name was a simple and easy choice using my year of birth. This also conveniently shortens nicely to GC64 for logging purposes.

The Avatar btw is from Stargate SG1 and appropriate since it is extremely unlikely that you will find me venturing out on my own.

I don't see any foreseeable reason to invest in a gps or even a smart phone just to participate in this game.  I am content to support friends who enjoy this more than I do and tag along whenever it suits me.  I enjoy the exercise and learning about  the enviroment/landmarks around me in ways that I never could before.

Edited by Geocacher_64
update

My name's Jeff and I'm barefoot as much as possible - now that I've retired from work that's pretty much always. I've only had to don shoes on one of my finds so far, as it was on an oyster-covered rock in the middle of a lake. Many of the local caching community have now shortened my name to BFJ and I sometimes use that abbreviation on nano logs.

I grew up in a rural area with lots of swamps around. I would frequently go out for walks, and couldn't avoid the swamps so I got adept at walking thru them, and they're interesting in their own right. 'Bog' is shorter than 'swamp', so I went with that. Also, my relatives (who got me into geocaching) all had names that combined a place and an action - rockhopper, prairieRambler, etc (not quite their real names).

When I started using the internet and wanted to use a forum I had to choose a nickname. When I entered the next forum and tried to use the same nickname I realised it was used already by somebody else. So I needed a nickname exclusivly for me. So I started with a "Y" and added some random characters but ensured that the result could be spoken and sounded like a name. This worked well for the last ten years. If you google "yrcko" half of the results point to me.

Like many others, mine is an online handle. I have used it for years but it does have a bit of a story behind it.

I loved playing Pokemon on the gameboy, mostly on my own, or with my brother. But I knew this guy who had an Espeon named SunCat. I liked the name so much that I stole it and named my own Espeon SunCat. Then I started using it for myself as well, even building a character around the name. At some point the last name Rune got tagged on by my brother, Rune as in mystical rune letters. So if SunCat is taken, it becomes SunCat Rune. Also, I love cats.

I wasn't sure if I should use it for Geocaching, or use my own name or something a little different. However, most people seemed to have handles rather than names, so that is what I went with.

Hello I am new to Geocaching. Still researching this Geocaching. I have heard of it, and have decided to do it hopefully starting this spring or when it warms up.

I had to give this subject a lot of thought. When I was younger, I was given the nickname of Gizmo, because I would make different things, gizmos, to solve problems. So when a person who was VERY close to me, saw how I solved different problems with things I made. She started to call me gizmo. It was also my cats name. The 2371 was my badge number when I was a security officer.

I've known about geocaching for quite some time but am just now getting into finding them. I've only done 2 so far. I just used the name I use for everything. CaptureCreativity; because doing something new and creative like geocaching lets you capture those worthwhile moments in life. Always capture those creative moments. :3

• Upvote 1

I'm furry, my profile pic is my fursona and my name is my fursona's name. Simple as that. I use it all over the place. He's an Eastern Quoll if anyone is wondering.

Say, does anyone know any other furry geocachers?

Does a full beard count?

Well, some cachers refer to me as the Hairy Dolphin. I don't know why! Beard is trimmed and shaved in a few areas.

I'm furry, my profile pic is my fursona and my name is my fursona's name. Simple as that. I use it all over the place. He's an Eastern Quoll if anyone is wondering.

Remembered there was an inactive thread started on this, thought that maybe some lost interest, with the added cost of flea & tick collars, Summer heat, and all.

Anyway, found it Here. :)

This is the 3rd name change - yeah, I'm getting old and senile. 1st name was an online user name for everything. This game doesn't not fit that name. 2nd name was another online name used for my "hobby" business.

This rendition is an affectionate shout out to my daughter, MamaBear and my granddaughters - the cubs who geocache as a team and got me hooked(Mama Bear and the cubs). I am proud to be MamaBearsMama!!

Edited by MamaBearsMama

Remembered there was an inactive thread started on this, thought that maybe some lost interest, with the added cost of flea & tick collars, Summer heat, and all.

Anyway, found it Here. :)

Thanks, Cerberus!

Look up The Terratin Incident. Being nerds, loving to explore, being not the tallest, somewhat scifi fans and having had just watched that it was the obvious choice. Being the sole holder of this account now I consider changing the name, but I cannot come up with anything nice.

My regular, use everywhere, Username was taken when I decided to join the kids doing Pokemon Go so I did a mash up of my first name and year of birth and a play on "Catch" - as in "Gotta catch em all".

It fits somewhat with geocaching as well.

Kids are over Pokemon Go thank goodness and 1 now joins me for the real thing. other 2 don't like the great outdoors :)

I chose my name because green is my favorite color. I've tacked the est to it because I tried greencheetah on other sites before but that was taken, so decided I'll be the greenest one! The capital n and s are my first/last initials. The cheetah is my favorite animal. Simple as that... makes for a fun mascot to work with. Caching for a couple years now, but barely bought my first gps!

My nickname is an acronym of my real name ANdrés PErez FIgueroa that I first used as email address in my University. I use anpefi in all my digital life roles, from work to leisure. I used to have some different obscure nicknames in different online communities (maybe Mjolner was the most common of all my past nicknames) but I realized that I am a single person, even in online games, so decided to build a unique and coherent digital identity (with a few exceptions for historical reasons). So you can find me as anpefi here, on my professional profiles (twitter, github, email, webpage), miscellaneous blogs and other hobbies. However, it seems that there is a Finnish woman that uses anpefi on Tripadvisor <_<

I used to play co-op games back in the late 90's/early 2000's and was on a team called FU. My screen name was Phoenix; Phoenix_FU respectively.

My folks have been geocaching for a while as Team Uptonogoodniks, or TU, so it seemed fitting to flip a letter and be Phoenix_TU.

First choice was "WEENA" but it's already taken and the account hasn't been logged into since 2003.. I asked site admin if I can take it over but they emailed back and said it's already registered so there is nothing they can do.. and I'm not a fan of adding numbers to a name .. so left with my other nickname/joke from where I used to work.. no I didn't work there, hah

I too don't like adding numbers to my name... Therefore I ironically go by MyNameAndNumbers.

Well, I am a lifelong knitter (over 58 years in the hobby) and I also have a blog with the name PurlingPundit (a "pundit" being someone who gives their opinion on a subject, so to speak) so it just seemed like a natural thing to keep the name "PurlingPundit" for my geocaching moniker. My brother (my team member) is an expert on outhouses (long story) so he chose "Outhouse Man" and together we make up "Team Loose", the family name.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:01 AM, RufusClupea said:

It's Latin.  I had originally chosen something slightly different (and arguably technically more accurate and distinctive B)) but the online translators felt differently.  :(:unsure::huh:

Doggone if the online translators aren't fickle and have changed to what I originally chose.  :mad: 

So I changed it back, and I don't care what they do from here on, I'm sticking with this one; I like it better anyway... :P

I chose my nickname based on my nickname that my classmates in elementary school gave me. It's pretty much a shortcut of my surname (Poláček), playing with words. 'Polda' means in Czech 'cop', but it's not really the meaning, just playing with words. I'm not a cop, nor do I work for police :) 18 is just a random number, to distinguish the nickname :)

Back before facebook, when dial up was all the rage, there were message boards and group chat programs that required a username. I tried variations of my name and most were usually taken and i didn't want to use my name+12345, so I decided to be somewhat creative.

I love debate and would flip or flop on which side of the debate to argue just because and was studying psychology at that time in college so I came up with drdilemma as a username. My wife is interested in Geocaching and wanted to use one account. Since we are a team, TeamDilemma it is.