Germany? Yikes!

Criminal

It's cool when bugs take a big hop like that. My travelbug took a huge hop shortly after being released. From PA it went to Bangkok, and is now in Hong Kong. That probably means it will move infrequently now, but's that's just fine with me considering the sites it is getting to. It's been fun pulling up as much info as I can on the net about these cities and parks. I'd love to see it make its way to Europe now, but who knows! Anyway, glad your tb is on a great trip now. The fun should really start now!

GoPherStash

Well, mine didn't really have any goals at all. In fact, it's just a tag that's not attached to anything. I worry about that because it stands a better chance of getting lost. It floundered for awhile in a remote cache so I'm glad to see it's going somewhere. This is the real fun about these things, seeing it move and accumulate miles.

Maybe we should start a "Travel Bug Etiquette” thread and have it locked to the top. Things like,

Don’t keep them,

Don’t collect them from a cache if you doubt you’ll be able to help it reach its stated goals,

Don’t drop them in a remote cache,

And on

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Maybe we should start a "Travel Bug Etiquette” thread and have it locked to the top. Things like,

Don’t keep them,

Don’t collect them from a cache if you doubt you’ll be able to help it reach its stated goals,

Don’t drop them in a remote cache,

And on

I like these, but I have a little problem with your third one. I feel remote caches are just as important as any other. In fact, placing a travel bug in a remote cache might encourage other cachers to the area because the travel bug is there. It's all part of the history of the travel bug. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, sure, the bug may languish there for a little bit, maybe even a long time, but eventually, it will be on its way to other destinations. If my bug didn't have any kind of stated goal, I think I'd prefer them to take Road Less Traveled than the Interstate. I think even if my bug had a stated goal, I'd prefer the Road Less Traveled. I think the only way I wouldn't want a bug taking that kind of road was if there was a specific time frame involved, like the bug has to reach Geocache such and such by May 15, 2003 to participate in a Mother's Day party. icon_biggrin.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

. . .

Don’t drop them in a remote cache

. . .

On Sept. 13, 2002 I placed the travel bug Dangerous Dale 4 in the cache BunkerDave's Cache, located near the summit of Mount Peale in Utah's La Sal Mountains. This is the most remote cache that I have found to date. I was the only person to find it in 2002 and only one other geocacher found it in 2001. The cache is near the summit of a high mountain peak that is now virtually inaccessible due to heavy snow until late spring or early summer.

Therefore, this travel bug is not moving right now and likely may be stranded for a long time because of its remote location with difficult accessibility. What do geocachers think about this?

icon_razz.gif Ken Akerman icon_biggrin.gif (a.k.a. icon_rolleyes.gifHighpointer icon_eek.gif)

Tempe, AZ

quote:
Originally posted by Highpointer:

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=5307&u=9020939083:

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=18212&u=3380926364:

. . .

_Don’t drop them in a remote cache_

. . .

On Sept. 13, 2002 I placed the travel bug http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=6621 in the cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=6327, located near the summit of Mount Peale in Utah's La Sal Mountains. This is the most remote cache that I have found to date. I was the only person to find it in 2002 and only one other geocacher found it in 2001. The cache is near the summit of a high mountain peak that is now virtually inaccessible due to heavy snow until late spring or early summer.

Therefore, this travel bug is not moving right now and likely may be stranded for a long time because of its remote location with difficult accessibility. What do geocachers think about this?

_icon_razz.gif Ken Akerman icon_biggrin.gif (a.k.a. _icon_rolleyes.gifhttp://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=32381 icon_eek.gif_)_

Tempe, AZ

I took a bug and placed it in a cache back at the end of August that I didn't think about it becoming an infrequently visited cache after the summer months. So the bug has been stuck there since Aug 31. Once I realized what I had done, I e-mailed the bug owner to apologize, and explain that I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but that I just screwed up. So I'm going to go back up there in the spring and grab it to get it on it's way again (I'm up there a few times every year camping so to go up there is just an excuse for a weekend camping trip icon_cool.gif).

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Thanks for the info on Bunkerdaves cache Highpointer. Last year my daughter wanted me to take her up the highest peak of each county in the state of Utah. That happens to be one of the 6 we didn't have time for. Unfortunately, we didn't really look to see if there were caches on most of them, as we just didn't think of it at the time with the exception of two of the trips where we were after caches rather than a peak, but happened to grab a peak at the same time. Knowing there is a bug on one of the peaks we still nead to climb will just provide a little more incentive to make the trip. Was the cache in a spot where I'd have a chance of finding it in the snow? I climbed that peak about 3 years ago, but that was the first week of march when the snow was pretty deep up there. In fact, I had to make the majority of the climb in snowshoes as the snow wasn't compacted enough to use crampons. There are a lot of great caches in the mountains around here, but the vast majority are pretty much impossible to find in the snow.

As for leaving a bug up there. I personally think it's a great thing. Just gives people a little more incentive to get out and explore....

It always a two faced coin! What you call remote, i would name "here, home etc" and vice versa.

But if you need translation support, don't

hesitate to ask!

"Heute Morgen nach einer schönen Wanderung aus seinem Versteck befreit. Er wird diesen Monat noch auf eine längere Reise gehen."

translates to "Released TB from his hide-out after a nice hike this morning. It will be on a long journey later on this month"

Your TB criminal01 will pop up back home *very* soon, trust me!

quote:
Originally posted by DocW:

It always a two faced coin! What you call remote, i would name "here, home etc" and vice versa.

But if you need translation support, don't

hesitate to ask!

"Heute Morgen nach einer schönen Wanderung aus seinem Versteck befreit. Er wird diesen Monat noch auf eine längere Reise gehen."

translates to "Released TB from his hide-out after a nice hike this morning. It will be on a long journey later on this month"

Your TB criminal01 will pop up back home *very* soon, trust me!

Awesome, Thanks! Feel free to attach something to the tag, it went out solo. I think it's so cool my bug made it to Germany. I spent many a night in Dahrmstadt (sorry about the spellings) Frankfurt, Ramstein, and a couple others while an FE on C-141s. Loved every minute of it!

Thanks again!

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/