Decent GPS?

EveningKiss

Ive been using the GPS On my phone for my caches but it well... sucks. Just woundering which GPS people here are using that seems to work as i am posed to pick up a new one tomarrow.

I started with a Garmin eTrex Venture HC that served me well for several months before I upgraded it to a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

Here is the link to Geocaching.com's GPS review site. That might give you some ideas.

Depending on your price range I would consider one that does paperless caching. I have the Garmin Oregon 400 and love it. If you are using the iPhone or recent Android apps from Groundspeak then the paperless caching is going to be as close as you can come what you are used to.

If you let us know your price range that would help a lot.

One that does paperless caching is your best bet if you can afford that.

Lowrance has some new cheap GPSr's that do paperless caching, but I have no idea how good they are.

Everyone I know (including me) uses Garmins.

Give us more specifics about your price range and what you want, and we could probably help you more.

I'm partial to the DeLorme series.

PN60w_SPOT_t9_icon.jpg

Watch the video for a brief description.

Here's a real use demo of the PN-60 with the Spot.

You don't have to buy the Spot with the GPS but its a nice addtion if you find yourself out of cell phone range. The GPS is very accurate, works well with paperless caching, and comes iwth the Topo software in the box. Aside from the premium GC membership and more batteries, there's nothing else to buy for an out of the box experience.

I jumped head first into geocaching with the Oregon 450 when REI had it on sale. It was over my budget, but I LOVE the paperless geocaching and the touch screen. It is so nice to be able to load it up with 1000's of caches and not have to manage which ones you have loaded.

The digital compass is really nice too when you get close and are not moving much (doesn't rely on movement to determine direction of cache).

I have relied on free maps and am doing fine. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $100 to buy the T-version with maps preloaded. I did have to research a bit to find good maps, but it is all working well now.

PN60w_SPOT_t9_icon.jpg

You don't have to buy the Spot with the GPS but its a nice addtion if you find yourself out of cell phone range. The GPS is very accurate, works well with paperless caching, and comes iwth the Topo software in the box. Aside from the premium GC membership and more batteries, there's nothing else to buy for an out of the box experience.

I just got my PN40 and I already wish I had just paid the extra for the PN60. But I'm really digging the PN40 so far. I need to have you show me a few tricks on a future HOTM. These things are a little intimidating when I've only ever used an iPhone.

PN60w_SPOT_t9_icon.jpg

I just got my PN40 and I already wish I had just paid the extra for the PN60. But I'm really digging the PN40 so far. I need to have you show me a few tricks on a future HOTM. These things are a little intimidating when I've only ever used an iPhone.

No worries. Ask away. I'll help as much as I can.

Hi,

I just got PN60W with Spot.

I did notice there is extra costs involved.

Spot Basic + Messaging , the costs are very steep.

is there any other owners / users of PN60W .

I see the learnign curve is steep.

any suggestions other than reading the manuals.

Im having second thoughts , should i return this and buy a Garmin 550T

please give your thoughts...

Thanks in advance.

PN60w_SPOT_t9_icon.jpg

No worries. Ask away. I'll help as much as I can.

Hi,

I just got PN60W with Spot.

I did notice there is extra costs involved.

Spot Basic + Messaging , the costs are very steep.

is there any other owners / users of PN60W .

I see the learnign curve is steep.

any suggestions other than reading the manuals.

Im having second thoughts , should i return this and buy a Garmin 550T

please give your thoughts...

Thanks in advance.

I don't believe there was anything hidden about the Spot services costs but I'll agree there's a lot to read to make a decision. It isn't a PLB with a one time cost and carry. You may not need the type and send texting. for $100 per year, you have SOS, Check-In/OK, and you can send 14 Pre-Canned Messages as many times as you want plus posting to social networks such as Twitter and Facebook as well as logging your finds on GC. Everything else is a la carte.

Depending on your location, I can meet with you on a weekend and go over a few things... and NJ is a little out of my reach. :P However, there are folks near you that can help. You'll find this GPS is very capable, very accurate and there is a very strong customer support backing the device. Plus, if you have any questions, you can post at http://forum.delorme.com/ and the peer-to-peer support there is amazing.

Take the time to learn it. Anything worth doing takes time to figure out. This is no exception.

Of course, you could always get the Garmin and forget about leading the pack with the only technology capable of doing this now. :P

Edited by TotemLake