10 10 10 record breaking attempt

SXParx

Not meaning to be a killjoy, but anyone else reckon this is setting the site up for a major crash as everyone tries to log together (time zones or no time zones)?! I always notice a slow-down on Sunday evenings, and imagine it's just going to be exacerbated tomorrow.

Anyway, their problem I suppose, and I'm still going to attempt like everyone else...

:signalviolin:

Having done my bit by attending a 10-10-10 event and logging a cache, I've got my souvenir...

But I'm a bit suprised Grounspeak don't seem to have a running counter on the website showing the numbers of cachers active today. I'd have thought it would be easy enough to do technically and would support their record attempt objective.

Chris

Well we went out and had our biggest geofrenzy so far with ten finds to celebrate 10/10/10! We cleaned up a lot of nearby caches that we had been ignoring because of a rash of ftf being by members of the same group of friends and because of the relatively boring (and in one case) unsavoury locations... but because we wanted to be part of the record attempt we decided we would go for them today... Not all were of this kind though - some were simple cache and dashes, and one led us to a view of the Island that we had never seen before! The weather was superb, the company good and best of all the dog was knackered! We even managed a picnic on the grass near where we placed a cache today.

Got our souvenir!

Did one hunt and find today. And it was one I couldn't find from the other day.

Not meaning to be a killjoy, but anyone else reckon this is setting the site up for a major crash as everyone tries to log together (time zones or no time zones)?! I always notice a slow-down on Sunday evenings, and imagine it's just going to be exacerbated tomorrow.

Anyway, their problem I suppose, and I'm still going to attempt like everyone else...

:)

And I've noticed that the website is a bit sluggish tonight. Took a bit just to write this post.

Do you get an extra souvenir if you place a cache today?

Souvenirs are a reward for Searching a specific Zone for Geocaches, using the Groundspeak Geocaching App. Or logging a find in a specific Zone.

They are not awarded for placing and having the cache listed on GC.

Deci

We logged on our iphone and got the icon but it has not appeared on my profile!!! Not sure what is wrong.

Souvenirs are a reward for Searching a specific Zone for Geocaches, using the Groundspeak Geocaching App. Or logging a find in a specific Zone.

Deci

We logged on our iphone and got the icon but it has not appeared on my profile!!! Not sure what is wrong.

They're on your tab marked 'Souvenirs'. :)

MrsB

I decided I only wanted to find 10 today to celebrate 10/10/10! so didn't start out the house till 3:30 in the afternoon.

by 5:00 I had found 9, then I attended 10-10-10 North Wales, UK Event at the Misty Waters pub making it my 10th find.

I then tried to drink 10 pints but I'm out of practice and could only manage 5? :laughing:

But I did leave a 10p tip everytime I had a pint. :)

But the meet was missing one very cheeky person :) .... where were you Deci? :)

I decided I only wanted to find 10 today to celebrate 10/10/10! so didn't start out the house till 3:30 in the afternoon.

by 5:00 I had found 9, then I attended 10-10-10 North Wales, UK Event at the Misty Waters pub making it my 10th find.

I then tried to drink 10 pints but I'm out of practice and could only manage 5? :cool:

But I did leave a 10p tip everytime I had a pint. :mad:

But the meet was missing one very cheeky person :mad: .... where were you Deci? :cool:

Sorry severe illness (not mine) kept me at home. But on the bright side :) someone told me that Fancy Dress was obligatory at someone's event (I wonder whose event that is :laughing: ) so as the site was soooooooo Slow. I spent 3 hours searching for a suitable outfit on Ebay (a evil one as I'm planning on being evil and Archiving a certain event organisers event on the dot of Midnight Midnight on the 31st :) )

So a rain check on what I owe you :)

Deci

I then tried to drink 10 pints but I'm out of practice and could only manage 5? :(

But I did leave a 10p tip everytime I had a pint. :D

But the meet was missing one very cheeky person :( .... where were you Deci? :mad:

Sorry severe illness (not mine) kept me at home. But on the bright side :D someone told me that Fancy Dress was obligatory at someone's event (I wonder whose event that is :) ) so as the site was soooooooo Slow. I spent 3 hours searching for a suitable outfit on Ebay (a evil one as I'm planning on being evil and Archiving a certain event organisers event on the dot of Midnight Midnight on the 31st :D )

So a rain check on what I owe you B)

Deci

Sorry to hear that Deci ... you were missed! :lol:

Look forward to seeing the outfit ... :lol:

I have decided against my planned outfit and coming as a glamorous dead thing instead... I'm even going to straighten this mop of mine too.

Red lipstick, black nails, long black dress (with army boots hidden) and a streak in my straightened hair (if it works that is) ........guess who I will be? :D

I then tried to drink 10 pints but I'm out of practice and could only manage 5? :D

But I did leave a 10p tip everytime I had a pint. :D

But the meet was missing one very cheeky person :D .... where were you Deci? :(

Sorry severe illness (not mine) kept me at home. But on the bright side :lol: someone told me that Fancy Dress was obligatory at someone's event (I wonder whose event that is :D ) so as the site was soooooooo Slow. I spent 3 hours searching for a suitable outfit on Ebay (a evil one as I'm planning on being evil and Archiving a certain event organisers event on the dot of Midnight Midnight on the 31st :mad: )

So a rain check on what I owe you :D

Deci

Sorry to hear that Deci ... you were missed! B)

Look forward to seeing the outfit ... :(

I have decided against my planned outfit and coming as a glamorous dead thing instead... I'm even going to straighten this mop of mine too.

Red lipstick, black nails, long black dress (with army boots hidden) and a streak in my straightened hair (if it works that is) ........guess who I will be? :D

lucrezia Borgia? :lol:

Deci the cheeky :)

Careful!

11/11/11 does have a significantly greater meaning than tupperware. It may cause offence.

I quite agree with this warning. 11/11 is of course Armistice Day (in Europe if not the USA) and yet Groundspeak have invited cachers to vote on making this the next "get everyone caching" day next year.

Do they not realise its significance? Would they suggest using 11/9/11 (or the next 9/11 anniversary in USA date speak?

Chris

I've just been on the LAT 47 blog and voted against having it on 11/11/11 - but at the moment the yes votes are winning 10 to 1.

11/11/11 falls on a Friday, whereas 09/10/11 falls on a Sunday. It's obvious to me which would be the more successful.

Personally, I won't be attending any caching events if it ends up being on 11/11/11.

Edited by Nick & Ali

I've just been on the LAT 47 blog and voted against having it on 11/11/11 - but at the moment the yes votes are winning 10 to 1.

11/11/11 falls on a Friday, whereas 09/10/11 falls on a Sunday. It's obvious to me which would be the more successful.

Personally, I won't be attending any caching events if it ends up being on 11/11/11.

I agree... 11/11/11 should remain a solumn occasion, and remembered for the right reasons.

As Nick points out, 9/10/11 is by far a better day for caching and events being a Sunday .

Deci

Sorry to hear that Deci ... you were missed! :cool:

Look forward to seeing the outfit ... :cool:

Red lipstick, black nails, long black dress (with army boots hidden) and a streak in my straightened hair (if it works that is) ........guess who I will be? :grin:

lucrezia Borgia? :P

Deci the cheeky :cool:

I had too Google that name:

Lucrezia Borgia (18 April 1480 – 24 June 1519) was the illegitimate daughter of Rodrigo Borgia, the powerful Renaissance Valencian who later became Pope Alexander VI, and Vannozza dei Cattanei. Her brothers included Cesare Borgia, Giovanni Borgia, and Gioffre Borgia.[3]

Lucrezia's family later came to epitomize the ruthless Machiavellian politics and sexual corruption alleged to be characteristic of the Renaissance Papacy. Lucrezia was cast as a femme fatale, a role she has been portrayed as in many artworks, novels, and films.

One painting, Portrait of a Youth by Dosso Dossi at the National Gallery of Victoria, was identified as a portrait of Lucrezia in November 2008.[4][5][6][7][8] This painting may be the only surviving formal portrait of Lucrezia Borgia. However, doubts have been cast on that claim.[9] Several other paintings, such as Bartolomeo Veneto's fanciful portrait, have also been said to depict her but none have been accepted by scholars at present. She is described as having heavy blonde hair which fell past her knees, a beautiful complexion, hazel eyes which constantly changed colour, a full, high bosom, and a natural grace which made her appear to "walk on air";[10] these were the physical attributes that were highly appreciated in Italy during that period.

Very little is known of Lucrezia as a historical personage, and her complicity in the political machinations of her brothers and father cannot be determined at this time. Her father and/or brother certainly arranged several marriages for her to important or powerful men in order to advance their own political ambitions. Lucrezia was married to Giovanni Sforza (Lord of Pesaro), Alfonso of Aragon (Duke of Bisceglie), and Alfonso I d'Este (Duke of Ferrara). Tradition has it that Alfonso of Aragon was an illegitimate son of the King of Naples and that Cesare may have had him murdered after his political value waned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

errrrrrm no! ... not her! :grin:

Deci

They're on your tab marked 'Souvenirs'. :angry:

MrsB

Looks like they have now been added automatically as we got the few we were owed. I am now officially sad as I got quite excited........