Guideline Question

Tape worm

for a Wherigo cache yes. but note that Wherigo is not limited to caching, you can also have standalone Wherigo cartridges. they can be played, they can be completed, but since there's no cache, they can't be listed on geocaching.com (only on Wherigo.com).

Edited by dfx

for a Wherigo cache yes. but not that Wherigo is not limited to caching, you can also have standalone Wherigo cartridges. they can be played, they can be completed, but since there's no cache, they can't be listed on geocaching.com (only on Wherigo.com).

Just wondering cause I ran across two the other day that are listed on GC.com but have no container at the end. :blink:

for a Wherigo cache yes. but not that Wherigo is not limited to caching, you can also have standalone Wherigo cartridges. they can be played, they can be completed, but since there's no cache, they can't be listed on geocaching.com (only on Wherigo.com).

Just wondering cause I ran across two the other day that are listed on GC.com but have no container at the end. ;)

Log them first and then report them! :(

Deane

Just wondering cause I ran across two the other day that are listed on GC.com but have no container at the end. :lol:

I am aware of a cache in the US that doesn't have a container. The CO wants you to post a photo of the "final" location with your log to prove you did the cartridge.

Just wondering cause I ran across two the other day that are listed on GC.com but have no container at the end. :lol:

I am aware of a cache in the US that doesn't have a container. The CO wants you to post a photo of the "final" location with your log to prove you did the cartridge.

That would violate the "ARL" and the "virtual" guidelines. They can ask for the completion code and for a signature in the logbook.

I've seen a cache in a graveyard with a note telling people to be respectful to the unknown people buried here and not sign the physical log, thus sharing their anonymity. I think it's still active; it was before the ARL guidelines were removed. The Psycho Urban Cache series required people to email to the owner the code in the log book (due to the placement, such as atop a 40+ meter tall pillar in the middle of a very wide river, I'd say that's acceptable).

As for how gc.com guidelines appliy to Wherigo, this is my reply:

For a Wherigo cache to be listed on gc.com, some part of the cartridge must have a log sheet for people to find. Once the log is signed, there is no further obligation for someone to continue playing the cartridge if all they want is a find credit on gc.com (obviously, to unlock the cartridge on Wherigo.com, the player would have to continue).

All physical containers used for a Wherigo cartridge must follow the gc.com cache proximity guidelines. They must be listed as if they were a stage in a multi cache on gc.com. Zones without a physical container (such as ones pointing you to a sign) are considered virtual waypoints and can be as close to another cache as you want.

All other gc.com guidelines are to be followed for a Wherigo geocache.

You cannot test for a user name and provide alternate routes for certain users; the experience must either be the same for everyone playing the cartridge or random. Don't discriminate.

Your area's reviewer has final discretion on the matter, though you are free to escalate questions and challenges to Groundspeak.