10-10-10 Event

I wouldn't mind adding my name to the list of those who find a cache for this event, but I have a logistical problem: I'll be traveling out of state with a group of people, and very likely won't have Internet access until the day after the actual event.

According to the Latitude 47 blog entry, "The geocaching community is attempting to break the record for number of accounts that logged caches in a single day.... Even one log on 10-10-10 counts since we are tallying how many accounts log a cache, rather than the number of caches logged."

Anyone know whether a cache found on 10-10-10 but logged on the Web site on 10-11-10 will count?

--Larry

I'll be traveling out of state with a group of people, and very likely won't have Internet access until the day after the actual event.

If one person in the group has a droid, have them activate the hot spot feature :blink:

You don't know the people I'll be with. This will definitely be a non-tech savvy bunch. Doubt if any of them will have even heard of the Droid, or anything at all of that ilk. And I don't own, and don't want to own, one of the things myself.

--Larry

Don't see why not; many of us log caches on the days and even weeks after we find them. I almost never log my finds on the same day, as I repeat my childhood behavior of staying out as late as I can get away with. I know cachers who are way behind on their logging.

What concerns me is the wording that was used in the blog and in the weekly newsletter I just received, specifically referring to logging, as opposed to finding, a cache on 10-10. I'm sort of hoping someone involved with the project will pipe in with more information before I leave for Savannah early tomorrow morning.

--Larry

According to the Latitude 47 blog entry, "The geocaching community is attempting to break the record for number of accounts that logged caches in a single day....

Boy, this has all the ingredients of a self-inflicted "distributed denial of service" attack. :blink:

Pete

In other words, like any other Sunday when accessing GC.com :)

I found the description of this a tad confusing as well. It states that they are going to tally up the number of "logs entered" on 10/10/10. It says nothing about what kind of logs or if they need to be associated with cache activity on that date.

The way it is written, if you did owner maint on 10/9 and entered a log for it on 10/10, that would count. If you write a note to any cache on 10/10 stating something like, "Just saw your cache listing and it looks like fun. I'll be there to hunt for it in 2 weeks!"... well, that would count, too. If you were a BOT and entered a Needs Archived for a cache on the other side of the country, it appears that would count as well.

A more specific description of how they are going to tally up the numbers is in order.

also do 10 10 10 events count as finds if you attended or is it only actual caches found???/

If the event has a GC number it's logged just like any other cache type, except that instead of a "Found It" log type you select "Attended". It counts as a "Find" in your stats and assume that GS will count those in their record setting attempt. I'm planning on attending a 10-10-10 event tomorrow but wasn't necessarily planning on doing any additional geocaching but it looks like a recent puzzle cache I solved is very close to where the event is being held.

Considering that when you log a cache, you can select the date the cache was found--it could be a day later, or a week later--and it's then registered as being logged and found on that selected date, I wouldn't think it matters if you log on 10-11-10.

but the server time will show the actual date/time when you logged it

one thing they haven't mentioned is how they are going to deal with all the time zones?

Edited by t4e

I suspect the place to get a real answer to this is the Feedback site. Lackeys are not monitoring these forums much (at all?)

even one log on 10-10-10 counts since we are tallying how many accounts

This causes me to guess that they'll be tallying unique accounts that logged to the site on 10-10-10. It's not a find count tally, put together later; it's not the total number of logs of all kinds.

It is unique accounts that post any log (to a cache page?)(not a TB page?) on 10-10-10.

So late logging of finds won't increment this number.

That's how I see it. I have been wrong now and then.

After re-reading the front page article a half dozen times, it seems pretty clear that you have to enter some kind of log on some kind of cache on the date of 10/10/10. Meaning you have to be on your computer entering said log on that date. GS server date/time, I would guess, it doesn't specify. It also doesn't specify anything about what kind of log and there is nothing indicating anything about a find. It seems that all they are looking for is to have more than 56,654 individual accounts sign onto geocaching.com and enter a log on 10/10/10.

So, for those with sock puppets, make sure you sign in under each one and post a log to a cache. That means it should only take about 20,000 forum members to ensure they reach their goal :signalviolin:

I'm planning on attending a 10-10-10 event tomorrow

Unless the calendar is much different in New York, I think you'll be disappointed.

Yea, but I'd have a really good chance to get FTF (or first to Attend) on the event if I went there today and waited for everyone else to show up.

I'm going to be crossing the international date line in about three weeks. I'm going to see if I can find two caches on the same calendar day that are about 6600 miles from each other.

I'm going to be crossing the international date line in about three weeks. I'm going to see if I can find two caches on the same calendar day that are about 6600 miles from each other.

I hope you're traveling from west to east, then.

Yep. Beijing to New York.

Actually, I may be traveling more north, then south. Hmmm, I wonder if the geocaching app on my iPhone will work on the plane and I could use it to rack up lots of souvenirs on the way.

Happy 42 Everyone.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I just earned the cool 10-10-10 souvenir while out caching with the Geocaching application on my Droid, and the better half earned one also when logging a find at home on the computer.

Sorry, I don't know what happens when doing catch up logging.

I just tried searching for the local 10-10-10 event using the geocaching app on my iPhone and all I got was a communication error. Then I noticed an alert in the "saved" section and when I looked at it, it should that I had found a 10-10-10 souvenir. It's showing up in my profile as being "acquired by logging".

It would have been cool if the GC site had a running total of the number of logs submitted today.

Before logging my find from this morning, I tested a Note and an Owner Maint. Only the Find log triggered the 10/10/10 thingie. I didn't think to try and log my DNF before the Find, but then I didn't get my DNF until after my find, so I was just entering them in chronological order as usual.

I didn't think to try and log my DNF before the Find, but then I didn't get my DNF until after my find, so I was just entering them in chronological order as usual.

Me too. Wish I had read this thread before I started logging, I would have logged the DNF's first.

While the site traffic didn't quite shut the whole thing down, it did cause delays at almost every step and several lockups and restarts. Eventually I got 12 finds (including an event) and 3 DNF's logged.

I didn't think to try and log my DNF before the Find, but then I didn't get my DNF until after my find, so I was just entering them in chronological order as usual.

Me too. Wish I had read this thread before I started logging, I would have logged the DNF's first.

While the site traffic didn't quite shut the whole thing down, it did cause delays at almost every step and several lockups and restarts. Eventually I got 12 finds (including an event) and 3 DNF's logged.

DNF's don't activate the souvenir.

I just earned the cool 10-10-10 souvenir while out caching with the Geocaching application on my Droid, and the better half earned one also when logging a find at home on the computer.

Sorry, I don't know what happens when doing catch up logging.

I just tried searching for the local 10-10-10 event using the geocaching app on my iPhone and all I got was a communication error. Then I noticed an alert in the "saved" section and when I looked at it, it should that I had found a 10-10-10 souvenir. It's showing up in my profile as being "acquired by logging".

It would have been cool if the GC site had a running total of the number of logs submitted today.

I attended a 10-10-10 event today and one of my friends there said that she had earned the souvenir _yesterday_ logging a cache on her iphone in Oakland. I don't have an iphone or a droid, because the don't work where I live, so I wondered if I could get one. I even came on here to find out if someone else had an answer. Turns out I had already earned the 10-10-10 souvenir when logging the event and cache I found. But it never told me I had earned it in any way that I saw, and it's just like me to go running off looking for an answer to a question that is answered already.

I don't know what happens if you log a cache tomorrow and say you found it 10-10-10. I suspect it will still give you credit for it. Probably that won't last forever, though. So if you find an earthcache, get those pictures uploaded faster than I do!

I don't know what happens if you log a cache tomorrow and say you found it 10-10-10. I suspect it will still give you credit for it. Probably that won't last forever, though.

Hello from tomorrow. :lol: I posted a backdated log (find from yesterday) less than 5 minutes ago and got the souvenir. Not sure how much longer we have to slack off though.