Virtual mileage...should I or shouldn't I?

Kealia

Question:

I've seen numerous notes on pages where people have done the virtual drop off and pick up of a TB to log the mileage somewhere they don't leave the bug but did travel with it.

EX:

I have a Gecoin with me on my trip to Tahoe from Santa Cruz, but I don't plan on leaving the coin here. I want to leave it in SC since our area sees very few of these and I'd like some more local cachers to be able to find it.

Should I log it in and out of a cache that I did today in Tahoe???

Realize that this coin has no particular goal other than to travel. I know this probably isn't that big of a deal but I'm curious as to others thoughts. I've never done the drop off/pick up before with any of the other TBs I've moved but I seem to be seeing more of this lately.

Thoughts & opinions?

Since you've already logged it through, the owner will probably receive an automatic notification about the bug's travel. It wouldn't hurt to also drop him an email to let him know you won't be offended if he would rather not have the mileage logged in this way and chooses to delete the logs.

I've logged several travel bugs through caches as you've done, but I think I've always obtained the TB owners' permission first.

Oh, and I wouldn't call it "virtual" mileage if the travel bug actually visited the cache site; that's "actual" mileage in my book.

worldtraveler

I kept one of my geocoins as my travel companion. I log it in and out of each cache I find. Since I have visited it and the coin is with me it seems legit mileage. I did however leave an explanatory note on its page. I also offer a grab to anyone who meets up with me at a cache or elswhere.

What if a virtual is the only option for a TB ? I have one that wants to visit Panama, but the only caches in the country are virtuals. I honestly dont know that i would have the time to actual visit any of the virtuals, but would like to see the bug get credit for the trip. Objets

When I road trip a bug, it's travel map gets marked with waypoints, regular and virtual. typically, the waypoints chosen have something to do with the mission (probably photo opps) or mileage. The travel itself was real.

GC.com tracks more than lodgings, it's also tracking the travel miles.

In handling about 500 bugs, I can say that I've received probably 60-80 thank you's from bug owners, for multiple cache bug movements. Only one person has complained.

BTW, virts themselves are good places to exchange a bug between caching teams, because another cache hunter won't go for a bug at a non-physical cache.

quote:
Originally posted by objets:

What if a virtual is the only option for a TB ? I have one that wants to visit Panama, but the only caches in the country are virtuals. I honestly dont know that i would have the time to actual visit any of the virtuals, but would like to see the bug get credit for the trip. Objets

If you do not "actually visit" the virtual how can you honestly claim it as a find or claim the bug visited it while you had it?

* Remember... Only you can pervert forest faeries... *

Official H2G2 Researcher #248886 www.pdxgeocaching.com

**Namaste**