Frustrated newbie

are.we.there.yet?

Boy, this travel bug stuff sounded great! Went for the 4 bugs for one price deal. First travel bug was placed in a carefully selected high traffic cache while on vacation. It was promptly picked up and moved to a not-so-high-traffic cache 2 miles away where it still sits. Travel bugs #2 and #3 were both left in the same great high-traffic cache in another state. They were left in the same cache because they were "related" and wanted to start their trip together. Two...note that TWO days later the next visitor to the cache wanted to pick them up but they were gone! Cache owner searched the area and tells me they are MIA. I've still got #4, an unactivated bug...but it's hard to have much interest in sending it out...

I understand your frustration, but unless they disappeared more than two or three weeks ago, chances are still good somebody grabbed them, but hasn't logged them yet, possibly someone on vacation. Some bugs show up months later with no known tale until someone finally logs information.

It's not a good policy, but some people just wait until they drop off the bug someplace else before logging it, and even then, they may only log their cache find, not the bug like they should.

Don't give up hope yet and keep using information cards to at least improve your odds.

I had been following the first TB I ever found (DOT) which was taken from my first placed cache (Woodsen Bridge), and saw that the same guy has had it for 3 months without placing it. I wrote the guy to confirm he had it, and he said he did, and would place it eventually. 3 months!! Have faith...they do show up sometimes!

Happy caching

Ed & Julie

ps: The guy said he would mail it to me if he couldn't place it soon.

Here are some tips I've garnered from reading others' posts, on how to keep that from happening again:

• Make an interesting story for your travel bug. I did that for a bug I just placed today, Supa Squid. Makes people more interested in making sure they make it to the next cache. Also makes it seem like the bug has more worth and therefore isn't soemthing to be thrown to the bottom of the drawer.

• Posting pictures of the bug on the cache site might have the same effect.

• Make the bug something unique and interesting.

• Add an information tag with instructions on how to log it (and possibly an appeal to log it as soon as it comes into their possession).

Good luck with your last travel bug!

quote:
Originally posted by FenrirWolf:

Here are some tips I've garnered from reading others' posts, on how to keep that from happening again:

<SNIP>

+ Make the bug something unique and interesting.

+ Add an information tag with instructions on how to log it (and possibly an appeal to log it as soon as it comes into their possession).

Good luck with your last travel bug!

But, don't make it so interesting and/or valuable an object the people want to keep it.

Including instructions seems to work best, but you never know. My first bug was picked up, and properly logged, by a geocacher who was never heard from again.

I have four others moving pretty well. You just never know. It is something a little out of the ordinary, so some people get confused, forget, or don't log correctly. A very few are simply malicious.

Believe me, there are a lot of folks around who feel your pain!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)