Tree Cache

Al 7365

:unsure: This may sound a stupid question, but I was hoping to get some opions on rating my new Cache. The Cache itself is place in a average sized tree, ropes and climbing gear are not required but its still a diffecult climb. The cache rating system does not seem to cover this so I was hoping for people to post some surgestions for rating it. The cache is very diffecult to notice from the ground and even in the tree.

I would be greatful for your surgestions

Edited by Al 7365

The cache rating system does rate a climb requiring use of hands as terrain 4.

Depending on the tree then, 4 - 4.5 for terrain.

Difficulty is much tougher to guess.

If not only do you have to climb, but then keep moving around on different levels and different branches to find the cache, the rating could likely be somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5.

ropes and climbing gear are not required but its still a diffecult climb.

You say ropes and climbing gear are not required, but how high does someone have to climb to find your cache?

I would consider ropes and climbing gear to be required (by prudent people) if you have to climb high enough to be likely to die if you fall, not just if it is impossible to go up there without a rope. After all, some crazy people free climb high cliffs and tall buidings... that doesn't mean that a cache halfway up the outside of a skyscraper would not be terrain 5. :rolleyes:

ropes and climbing gear are not required but its still a diffecult climb.

You say ropes and climbing gear are not required, but how high does someone have to climb to find your cache?

I would consider ropes and climbing gear to be required (by prudent people) if you have to climb high enough to be likely to die if you fall, not just if it is impossible to go up there without a rope. After all, some crazy people free climb high cliffs and tall buidings... that doesn't mean that a cache halfway up the outside of a skyscraper would not be terrain 5. :rolleyes:

Just because ropes and gear are good ideas doesn't mean they're required. Start with a 4 terrain and, based on Isonzo's idea a 3 difficulty. Wait for the first couple of finders, and if they say it was under rated, then change it a half star or so.

A true 4.5 terrain rated cache is the hardest possible. While a 5 requires special gear, that same gear makes the terrain much easier to conquer. I've done tree climbs that would more than likely would've killed me had I fallen. I also knew the ratings before I left, and was prepared for anything. I typically rate free climbing tree caches on height and branch spacing. If it's more than 6-7 feet between branches, or if the climb is higher than 30 feet, I rate it 4.5 terrain. I agree with the post above me, list it as a 4, and wait for feedback. CLIMB TREES!

When I don't know what to rate a cache - I just guess at it and ask the finder to make suggestions - which they will anyway. request each to post the rating they feel appropriate for the first 20 finds and see how it goes. A 4 for terrain and a 4 for difficulty sounds like a good starting point on this one. Caution not to climb when wet while wearing grease coated sneekers.

When I don't know what to rate a cache - I just guess at it and ask the finder to make suggestions - which they will anyway. request each to post the rating they feel appropriate for the first 20 finds and see how it goes. A 4 for terrain and a 4 for difficulty sounds like a good starting point on this one. Caution not to climb when wet while wearing grease coated sneekers.

Do you know how long it would take a cache like that to get 20 finds around here? Good lord, there probably wouldn't be 20 by now if that cache were the first one placed. We don't have many adventurous folks around here...