Power trail along the Schuylkill - Love it!

John in Valley Forge

I'd like to give a big and public thank you to the person or persons behind the Schuylkill River Power Trail. I've only had time to do a mile or so of it, but will be back next weekend for more.

I've read lots of threads here about power trails and record speeds in finding them. Seems like people have very mixed opinions on them. While I've never been on the Alien Highway and doubt I ever will, I have gotten out and done a segment of this trail.

The Schuylkill River Trail is an 18+ mile bike/foot path that runs from Philadelphia out along the banks of the Schuylkill River to Valley Forge Park and beyond. The path has been there for as long as I can remember, but 25 years ago when I used to ride it regularly it was largely a muddy dirt path along abandoned railroad tracks. Now it paved the whole way. Nice and flat since it follows the river, easy for people of any physical condition the ability to access it and walk or ride a segment.

A few weeks ago, a bunch of caches started to appear along it. They were placed close enough together that it was obviously a power trail. However, they were not all released at once, and I don't think they have all been released yet. The CO and/or reviewers are staggering the releases. This is nice for the FTF hopefuls, giving more people a chance to find one.

The hides along the trail are not super easy either. Even though good clues are given and the hiding spot sometimes seems obvious, they can take a while to actually locate. I was on it last week and ran into another group hunting the trail. For me, my first group search. We came to one spot where there was very seemingly obvious hiding spot. It still took us a few minutes of looking to find it. These are not a bunch of film cans stuck in guardrails.

Another thing that has impressed me is the maintenance of the caches. We have had some really bad rain lately and this trail, being along the river, took it tough. Almost immediately after a DNF is reported, someone from this CO group got out there and checks on the caches and replaces the missing ones.

Once again I want to give props to those anonymous cachers that placed and are maintaining them. I'm sure that some of our moderators here in the forum know who the CO is. I ask that they pass along my thanks. If you live in the metro Philly area, try to get out there one of these days.

Link to the SRT

I'd like to give a big and public thank you to the person or persons behind the Schuylkill River Power Trail. I've only had time to do a mile or so of it, but will be back next weekend for more.

I've read lots of threads here about power trails and record speeds in finding them. Seems like people have very mixed opinions on them. While I've never been on the Alien Highway and doubt I ever will, I have gotten out and done a segment of this trail.

The Schuylkill River Trail is an 18+ mile bike/foot path that runs from Philadelphia out along the banks of the Schuylkill River to Valley Forge Park and beyond. The path has been there for as long as I can remember, but 25 years ago when I used to ride it regularly it was largely a muddy dirt path along abandoned railroad tracks. Now it paved the whole way. Nice and flat since it follows the river, easy for people of any physical condition the ability to access it and walk or ride a segment.

A few weeks ago, a bunch of caches started to appear along it. They were placed close enough together that it was obviously a power trail. However, they were not all released at once, and I don't think they have all been released yet. The CO and/or reviewers are staggering the releases. This is nice for the FTF hopefuls, giving more people a chance to find one.

The hides along the trail are not super easy either. Even though good clues are given and the hiding spot sometimes seems obvious, they can take a while to actually locate. I was on it last week and ran into another group hunting the trail. For me, my first group search. We came to one spot where there was very seemingly obvious hiding spot. It still took us a few minutes of looking to find it. These are not a bunch of film cans stuck in guardrails.

Another thing that has impressed me is the maintenance of the caches. We have had some really bad rain lately and this trail, being along the river, took it tough. Almost immediately after a DNF is reported, someone from this CO group got out there and checks on the caches and replaces the missing ones.

Once again I want to give props to those anonymous cachers that placed and are maintaining them. I'm sure that some of our moderators here in the forum know who the CO is. I ask that they pass along my thanks. If you live in the metro Philly area, try to get out there one of these days.

Link to the SRT

How are paddling possibilities along this trail if someone wanted to kayak downriver? Suppose I should consult my water trail maps I secured from http://www.schuylkillriver.org/. However, if anyone has any comments on general water conditions, camping options / hostels near the river, etc that would be useful. I have been meaning to kayak a portion of the river and this may be a good combination.

Link to the SRT

Sounds interesting. I spent about 15 minutes checking it out, and studying it (as I would do for any caching trip). First, I should state that I think power trails of rural roadside micros such as The Alien Highway or the Trail of the Gods in California and Nevada (mostly archived) are ridiculous. So are the dozens of smaller rural roadside micro power trails you never hear about in places like Texas, Oklahoma, Illiniois, etc.

That being said, I'm not totally against power trails. I did 41 smalls and regulars, variety of hiding methods, over a 6.5 mile stretch of a rural gravel Canadian rail trail, with a party of 6. Heck, I even planned the trip. :signalviolin: There's a 25 cache bike trail power trail (about 1/2-3/4 micros) about 20 miles from me that I will probably do some day.

This one, it's a tough call, but I'd have to say I sit on the "not interested" side of the fence. 100% micros, copy and paste cache pages, copy and paste terrain and difficulty ratings, and the prominent use of the word Stealth on those copy and paste cache pages. Add the fact that they are named with consecutive numbers (SRT -1 =====>SRT - Whatever), and it's just a little too much "all about the numbers" for my tastes.

This of course is my opinion as a grumpy old-school Geocacher. This will be quite popular, and draw an endless parade of smiley seekers from all over the region.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

You're a grumpy old-school Geocacher! :)

No, seriously, I understand the reluctance to drive a long way for a power trail. I have ignored the White Horse power trail in NJ so far, but this trail happens to run right through my home zone. Plus I am in cache withdrawl after a summer too busy and too tick filled to satisfy my cache cravings.

I think that the "all about the numbers" is true with any power trail. This one though really seems to be set up in order to get people that would otherwise not know about this beautiful bike/walking path to see and experience it. The trail, which used to be a railroad track runs through some of the most beautiful areas of the river, including Valley Forge National Historical Park, Manayunk (home of America's premier bike race), Boathouse Road (home to all the area's university crew clubs and site of countless regattas) and leads to the museum and arts district of Philadelphia. From there it is only a short ride to the historic district where you can see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.

Also, if you are on a bike, it is very easy to veer off the trail to run up into any of the towns it runs through to find some other local caches, urbans and multis. I think a lot of Spatial Distortion's evil puzzle hides are actually located within reach of the trail.

The caches are not just a bunch of film cans thrown down by road signs. Yes there are some magnetic blinkers, but also ones large enough for travel bugs ( as large as decon kits). I really don't know who placed them, but I have my suspicions, mostly based on some of the placements, which remind me of some others and more so the names of local cachers that have NOT found it. I think they have been placed by several different people.

I've gone over twice so far, hitting a mile or so each time (just cause I dont have time to spend the whole day riding). It has gotten my fat butt off of the couch watching baseball games and out into the sun and air, even if I might look silly riding my wife's bike. Plus I met a whole lot of other cachers on the trail last week and that was way worth it by itself.

I've noticed this trail. John in Valley Forge was nice enough to answer my questions. I live about 20 miles from it! It's about a 20 min drive... No big deal! The only issue is you can't drive to everyone of them!

Right, I would say the best way to do it is via bicycle. Even the, due my own time constraints, I have only been doing it in small sections. You can park at most any of the SEPTA regional rail line parking lots for free on weekends. I think you can access the trail directly from any of them.

I had fun on a couple of the FTF runs... we got greedy and miffed some folks but then O-Reviewer got into the action and slowed them all down. I think when he had help reviewing, things popped out much faster...

I had a great time finding these and even looking for the ones that werent activated... we found like 3 but spent an hour or so looking in obvious places...

Thanks for the cachers (They have to be cachers, no group could place that variety without seeing a bunch first...) I live too far away to go back every time they pop but it was fun in the beginning, now I just want to ride it all when they finally do come out and number away!!!

Thanks SRT Group... you have added some fun around here.

I had fun on a couple of the FTF runs... we got greedy and miffed some folks but then O-Reviewer got into the action and slowed them all down. I think when he had help reviewing, things popped out much faster...

Uh Oh, did you see my rant in the "FTF Hoarders" thread? In the end I came around and admited I was one too.

My first time out on the trail, I ran into a group that was doing the trail. As we were chatting about it I admitted that all I really wanted was to get to an FTF before HBWG, SA and SD all got it. :angry:

I did on one cache only. Now I have been back t the trail 4 or 5 times, hitting little sections when I have 2 or 3 hours free on the weekend. I am hooked on it.

I just keep staring at that blank and empty section between the Norristown trail station and Betzwood. Could there be another round out there waiting to be released? Or should I be buying some more ammo cans and get them out there, maybe try to make a puzzle that will stump you guys? Now THAT would be a major acomplishment :( .

Here is a map of the caches, if any one is interested.

a5a3356d-e524-4eb9-a5a5-9fb7c30626a1.jpg

YIKES - now I know where I'm spending some time next time I'm back home from the West Coast :-)

Wish that had been there a few years ago when I was doing the kid-1 sherpa duty a couple times a year to/from 'nova.

To answer the kayaking/canoeing question several posts back.. most of the easily water accessed caches are from just below Reading to just below Pottstown, with a few more scattered up and down from there. Doing the bike trail caches from the river wouldn't be very practical, however another parallel series of caches allowing a downstream paddle followed by an upstream bike ride would work.

I'm going to be in Philadelphia next week for a conference. I would love to do part of this trail, but don't have a whole lot of time. Since I'll be flying in, I won't have my bike with me. Is there anyplace nearby that rents bikes for a day? And are there other areas around downtown that I should definitely explore for caches while I'm there, any must-sees?

Team MamaLlama, from AZ

I'm going to be in Philadelphia next week for a conference. I would love to do part of this trail, but don't have a whole lot of time. Since I'll be flying in, I won't have my bike with me. Is there anyplace nearby that rents bikes for a day? And are there other areas around downtown that I should definitely explore for caches while I'm there, any must-sees?

Team MamaLlama, from AZ

Hello Team MamaLlama,

I did a little research and the place below looks like they rent bikes in the area of the caches.

I would send them an email or call to make sure that they still do. And you will want the Manayunk Pa store.

Hope this helps :antenna:

Bike rentals

Human Zoom/Manayunk 4151 Main St., Philadelphia, PA 19127. 215-487-7433

Edited by Spatial Distortion

Team MamaLlama, from AZ

Hello Team MamaLlama,

I did a little research and the place below looks like they rent bikes in the area of the caches.

I would send them an email or call to make sure that they still do. And you will want the Manayunk Pa store.

Hope this helps :santa:

Bike rentals

Human Zoom/Manayunk 4151 Main St., Philadelphia, PA 19127. 215-487-7433

I sent an email and YES, they do rent bicycles.

Here is the reply I received:

, we do rent hybrid style bikes from our Manayunk location for $8 an hour and $30 for 24 hours. A free helmet rental is included if you require one. All we need from a renter is a photo ID and a major credit card (not a check or debit card), because we do run an authorization on that card. Our store hours are 11-7 on the weekdays, 10-6 Saturday and 10-4 on Sunday. Thanks for your interest! -Chad

Thank you much for this information! Hmmm...I was hoping to get out at like 7 am on Monday. I have to be back at the hotel by 2:30 pm on Monday. Maybe I'll look in my schedule and see if there are any other holes where I could sneak in a cab ride to the bike rental place, a bike ride along the trail, turn the bike back in, and cab it back to the hotel. Oh, I hate it when work conflicts with my geocaching! :huh:

Team MamaLlama from AZ

Oh, I hate it when work conflicts with my geocaching! :laughing:

Did you make it to the trail?

Not yet. I'm in Philly now, did some caches around my hotel on Tuesday a.m. when I had an hour or so free, but haven't made it to the trail yet. I was going to just walk part of it (probably the southern part, starting in the park), but am trying to figure out how to take SEPTA to at least the lower end of he trail so I don't spend all my time just walking to get TO it! (and then take it back to my hotel). I hope I make it today, as tomorrow is pretty busy and I leave on Saturday.

Oh, I hate it when work conflicts with my geocaching! :laughing:

Did you make it to the trail?

Not yet. I'm in Philly now, did some caches around my hotel on Tuesday a.m. when I had an hour or so free, but haven't made it to the trail yet. I was going to just walk part of it (probably the southern part, starting in the park), but am trying to figure out how to take SEPTA to at least the lower end of he trail so I don't spend all my time just walking to get TO it! (and then take it back to my hotel). I hope I make it today, as tomorrow is pretty busy and I leave on Saturday.

You want the SEPTA R6 Norristown line. SEPTA Schedule.

If you are in Center City, you can pick it up near City Hall or Market East. If you are in University City, go to 30th st Station. The front desk at your hotel should be able to get you there.

IMHO, the best walk would be to head east (back into the city) from maybe the Conshocken station to the Spring Mill station or Spring Mill to Miquon. Or even Conshohocken to Miquon. Not too far a distance as to take up too much of the day. Good mix of urbanish and woodsyish. The stretch between Norristown and Conshy might be a bit too industrial for a relaxing walking tour.

There is also a NGS benchmark near the Spring Mill station. It has been found recently, though not by me.

Unfortunately, the trains do not run to Valley Forge Park any more. They stop at Norristown.

I had the choice between doing either the schukyll trail or a rails to trails trail in delaware. I picked delaware partly for the sovi and partly because I honestly do not know where to start. Can you PLEASE post a section I can attempt about 1-2 miles long? I don't have a bike so it's on foot.

I love trails but this one is PISSING ME OFF. There is no parking anywhere. Even more so because of the fact that I can taste a nice juicy 100 caches that are only a couple miles from me...

I had the choice between doing either the schukyll trail or a rails to trails trail in delaware. I picked delaware partly for the sovi and partly because I honestly do not know where to start. Can you PLEASE post a section I can attempt about 1-2 miles long? I don't have a bike so it's on foot.

I love trails but this one is PISSING ME OFF. There is no parking anywhere. Even more so because of the fact that I can taste a nice juicy 100 caches that are only a couple miles from me...

You can park at any of the Septa parking lots for the Norristown line (the old R6). The trail runs parallel to it. See my post of Nov 11 for suggestions for nice walkable sections.

Can someone please tell me how long it takes to do all the caches on this trail by bike? Thanks!

Good question, but I have no idea.

I say that because it was not put up all at once. Myself, I've not completed it, but rather have gone back numerous times, doing a few miles each time. New ones were published last week. I rode right by them cause I had not updated my PQ. There are about 4 miles left unpublished.

This cache SRT-96 has logs from a few cachers that indicate they did the whole thing (or as much as existed on that day). You could drop one of them a note to be sure.

It is 20-25ish miles long, though there are sections without caches published yet. Terrain is very flat and paved. One problem I had in finding caches was that I would get my bike up to speed and start enjoying the ride, only to realize I passed the cache. I solved that by skipping every other cache or so on the eastbound trip, then getting them on the return (this also works when lots of muggles were present around one, just hit it on the way back). That and there are an awful lot of spots where you just have to stop for the WOW factor of the view. It took me an hour and a half to go 4 miles and back on Sunday but I spent a good 15 just minutes looking at the river along one section.

Although some of the hides are obvious, others are quite tricky and can consume a lot of time (I DNF'd one twice before finding it on a later trip). It is NOT a trail like the Alien one where people say you can see the cache from far away.

I think you could cover the whole path on a racing bike in an hour or so. There are lots of racing bikes and peletons running it all the time. I'd estimate double or triple that time for stopping.

Oh, and you will likely run into other cachers along the way, so add in some extra time for meeting, greeting and swapping white lies about the last hide you found :unsure:

Edited by John in Valley Forge

We finished the trail (up til an hour ago when a SRT 32 popped out :) ) in two trips. It would be pretty tough to do the whole thing as it is right now in a day. Starting about 8:00 am til 5:30 pm on day one a few weeks ago and 8:00 am to 3:45 on Sunday. To enjoy the sites and find some of the toughies it will take time.

Someone also mention paddling it. In some sections it may be possible but that river moves pretty swiftly and just getting to shore between groups of caches would be really tough. The banks are steep in most areas. There are no actual put-ins that we saw outside of the boat house area and the Philly Canoe club. The river is a good distance away from the trail in some spots and even separated by a canal in others. Paddling would not be the way to do this one. You would only be going downstream !!!

Highly recommended, it was fun and challenging!

Edited by JoenSue

I see you finally made it to the trail yesterday (I watch several of the caches, especially the ones I can't find).

How did you like it?

I see you finally made it to the trail yesterday (I watch several of the caches, especially the ones I can't find).

How did you like it?

Whats really funny was I remembered this thread from way back and emailed him yesterday about this. He emailed me back with the trail series and info. Then I checked his cache page and he had just visited it! Guess its that time of year.

I'll be checking it out as well.

How did you like it?

Whats really funny was I remembered this thread from way back and emailed him yesterday about this. He emailed me back with the trail series and info. Then I checked his cache page and he had just visited it! Guess its that time of year.

I'll be checking it out as well.

I love this trail. I've hit it a dozen times this year already including when it was snow covered.

I find I dont even look for caches every time, I just enjoy the walking.

I see some pics of people riding in the dark. Can anyone tell me if the trail is:

1. Open after dark?

2. Reasonably safe after dark?

I do realize that the caches will be tougher to find in darkness.

Just wondering.

It is open after dark.

and it is relatively safe. i have been there at night many times by myself.

However I would recommend if doing it at night to have a couple of others with you.

As always in caching, if you get there and don't feel safe, then don't do it.

... if you get there and don't feel safe, then don't do it.

The problem there is that we would be coming from about 2 hours away...so it would be a real waste to get there and not be able to complete.

Was just trying to get some indication...But...I do understand and agree.

Thanks for the info!

... if you get there and don't feel safe, then don't do it.

The problem there is that we would be coming from about 2 hours away...so it would be a real waste to get there and not be able to complete.

Was just trying to get some indication...But...I do understand and agree.

Thanks for the info!

If it is a nice day, the trail will be quite crowded with joggers, bikes and baby strollers. I have felt safe along all the areas I've been on (as far east as SRT72).

My friend turns 40 on June 1st. We took the day off to find 40 caches... We are thinking the SRT might be the easiest way to do it?!? Does anyone have any opinions about that? Also we are from Harrisburg so we don't know the area real well. I do know the area around Manayunk, but that's about it. Where would be the best place to park? Also can you go one direction and then take your bike on the train system somehow?? Just wondering... Any help as I plan her 40th Birthday Extravanganza would be GREATLY appreciated :-)

I was curious as we are buying a GPS to use with my kids. That map mostly shows east of Conshohocken. We live near Valley Forge. Do the caches go west of Conshohocken, too? We haven't done any geocaching yet, but we are going to a 2.5 hour class at the Lower Providence Library in June. We have a geomate jr, but will be getting a "real" GPS before the class as soon as we can decide on what to buy.

I was curious as we are buying a GPS to use with my kids. That map mostly shows east of Conshohocken. We live near Valley Forge. Do the caches go west of Conshohocken, too? We haven't done any geocaching yet, but we are going to a 2.5 hour class at the Lower Providence Library in June. We have a geomate jr, but will be getting a "real" GPS before the class as soon as we can decide on what to buy.

They run all the way to the Rt422 bridge along the trail. That is the boundary to VF park. None have appeared yet on the trail west of the park, but I guess it i just a matter of time.

They run all the way to the Rt422 bridge along the trail. That is the boundary to VF park. None have appeared yet on the trail west of the park, but I guess it i just a matter of time.

Perfect. We can take our bikes to VF, and then head east on the trail.... hopefully there are some before Norristown as my kids don't have the stamina to go that far an back. :)

Perfect. We can take our bikes to VF, and then head east on the trail.... hopefully there are some before Norristown as my kids don't have the stamina to go that far an back. :)

There are quite a few ones along that stretch and they are some of the more challenging (in my opinion). Park at the Betzwood picnic area to save a lot of time and avoid crossing the 422 bridge.