Garmin 450T how to turn off contour lines

RodBarker

Hello guys Im very new to GPS and the oregon 450 is my first , the sole reason I got it was for birdseye being a hunter its a fantasic thing except for the clouds :rolleyes: , now to my problems I have 2 .

I have preloaded Garmin Aus Topo map and when zoomed right in to birdseye while poking along trails the red and blue contour lines get in the way and really clutter things up , can I turn these off so that only the main roads are overlayed on top of the birdseye imagery and not all this other stuff .

The other problem is the map segments dont butt up , even though they looked to be touching in Basecamp , on the 450 they show a wide white line at ground level which can really get in the way , is there any special way to make sure the map sections butt together perfectly .

Cheers Rod

The other problem is the map segments dont butt up , even though they looked to be touching in Basecamp , on the 450 they show a wide white line at ground level which can really get in the way , is there any special way to make sure the map sections butt together perfectly .

Cheers Rod

When you create them on the Garmin site, always be sure that create just a tiny bit of overlap (sufficient to actually leave a thin slice of visible map overlap) between the lines. The trick is doing so when you don't have the graphic data for a previous tile yet. To get all the needed blue lines to light up before a tile has started to load, select it on the left side in the list along with other adjacent tiles (use the CTRL key as you select so you can select multiple tiles) and you'll see all of the blue lines you're needing for your "target". Again, just a tiny bit of overlap -- don't want to waste any more of that (not) generous 75MB limit than necessary. The tighter you can get zoomed in and still see all of your tile, the easier it will be.
When you create them on the Garmin site, always be sure that create just a tiny bit of overlap (sufficient to actually leave a thin slice of visible map overlap) between the lines. The trick is doing so when you don't have the graphic data for a previous tile yet. To get all the needed blue lines to light up before a tile has started to load, select it on the left side in the list along with other adjacent tiles (use the CTRL key as you select so you can select multiple tiles) and you'll see all of the blue lines you're needing for your "target". Again, just a tiny bit of overlap -- don't want to waste any more of that (not) generous 75MB limit than necessary. The tighter you can get zoomed in and still see all of your tile, the easier it will be.

I might try and and do a long thin overlap along all the borders and see if that fixes the ones Ive got and do what you say on all the next ones ..

the contour lines are the whole point of topo maps really. if you don't want them, don't use topo maps. OSM maps or CN maps may be for you

Yeah if I had of known what it would do to birdseye I wouldnt have done it , first GPS and like most things hard to know what you really want untill after you got it :rolleyes: .

I don't have an oregon, but I think you just go into the menu on the map page and select which layers (maps) you want to display. That is how it works on my 62s.

I cant find layers in map settings , looks like its just select a map and turn it on or off so I might have to turn the topo map off while in the areas Im using the sat imagery .

Thanks guys ..

I cant find layers in map settings , looks like its just select a map and turn it on or off so I might have to turn the topo map off while in the areas Im using the sat imagery .
There are no layer controls on any Garmin map. However you might be able to get some benefit from changing the detail setting more--less. Depending on the map hard coding, it is possible than some of the contours will be turned off while the roads of interest remain . . . possible. Only a test will find out.