Deleting DNFs for caches you later find

jenes2001

Question for the experts. We started geocaching a couple months ago, and I find myself wondering about the preferred protocol regarding DNF logs on caches that you later come back and find. Occasionally, I’ll look at our profile, and filter our logs page to show only DNF logs, to remind myself of which caches we’ve missed and need to give another shot. Since all DNFs, even if you later came back and logged a find, show up, I can’t easily tell which caches we have tried but not found. So, to solve this problem, and get a list of caches that we have looked for one or more times but NOT found, I’ve been deleting our DNF logs once we find the cache. My intention is not to erase the fact that we had a DNF, but really just to give me an easy way to see caches we want to try again.

So, questions regarding DNF logs:

1. Is the deleting of the DNFs logs for caches we later find acceptable to the caching majority?

2. Is there a better way to see a list of ONLY caches that we have attempted but NEVER found?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

1. You can do it, but I think it is safe to say that the preferred method is to leave your DNF and make a new log entry for your subsequent find. The DNF is part of your and the cache's history and it should stay there.

2. I would suggest bookmarking your DNF's. Then, as you find them, delete them from your bookmark list. You could also gen a PQ or even just preview a PQ from it and view them on a list or a map.

I agree with the bookmark method.

A few thoughts.

DNFs are a badge of honor, not shame.

It's part of your cache history as well as letting people see that, ya know, this cache might be a bit tough according to the previous DNF logs.

We have a challenge cache that you have to have logged an X number of DNFs to be able to search for it.

Keep your DNF logs.

Thanks, everyone. I hadn't thought about bookmarking them, and didn't want to have to do a pocket query each time I wanted to see the list. Honestly, it isn't about removing the DNFs or avoiding any "shame" from them, it is only about being able to easily see what I haven't found. Will bookmark from now on! Thanks for the tips!

Thanks, everyone. I hadn't thought about bookmarking them, and didn't want to have to do a pocket query each time I wanted to see the list. Honestly, it isn't about removing the DNFs or avoiding any "shame" from them, it is only about being able to easily see what I haven't found. Will bookmark from now on! Thanks for the tips!

I have noticed some cachers go back and EDIT their DNF logs. They add a line to the bottom indicating they had subsequently returned and made the find, but leave the original DNF text intact.

I log the DNF and add the cache to my Watchlist. That way I get emailed about any activity that is happening to the cache.

When I return to the cache and hopefully find it, I leave the DNF(s) and log a Found It. (I have had a couple of caches that I have logged 3 DNF's on until I finally found it.)

After finding something I have posted a DNF on I remove it from my Watchlist.

I have noticed some cachers go back and EDIT their DNF logs. They add a line to the bottom indicating they had subsequently returned and made the find, but leave the original DNF text intact.

That's worse than deleting them. The cache owner won't receive a notification of the find. If the original DNF made the owner decided to check on the cache, he may waste a trip unless he happens to check the cache page.

Edited by briansnat

Leaving those DNF's on a cache log is important.

It helps others determine how difficult a hide really is.

If I see 100 finds and 30 DNF's, I'll know it's a tough hide and it may take a few tries and I may need to read the logs for clues.

the difficulty ratings are often inaccurate.

The number of DNF's on a cache may also let the cache owner know that they need to change the difficulty rating of their cache.

All of the above points are good reasons for leaving your DNF log and posting a new log when you find the cache. The bookmark option is an easy way to manage those DNF caches. I keep a bookmark I call "A Random" (the A is to keep it as my default bookmark) that I use to keep track of local caches I have not found but plan to hunt. Once I find a local cache I remove it from the bookmark. A DNF bookmark would work the same way. Add a cache to the bookmark when you DNF and delete it from the bookmark when you find it.

When I first started caching in 2003 there was a well known local who edited DNF logs and changed them to finds, so I did this. After a while I decided this was not the way I wanted to cache and I switched to the method I still use. Log every DNF and log every find.

Occasionally, I’ll look at our profile, and filter our logs page to show only DNF logs, to remind myself of which caches we’ve missed and need to give another shot. Since all DNFs, even if you later came back and logged a find, show up, I can’t easily tell which caches we have tried but not found.

We like to use the filter as well to see those caches we've missed too. If you look at the cache page for the cache in question on your DNF list, in the upper right hand corner, under the log-your-visit box, you will see a little note indicating the date you have logged a find for that particular cache if you have indeed found it. It doesn't indicate DNFs however. Now thanks to the new tweaks to the website, you could leave yourself a little personal note if you want to, like hints you might have picked up or thoughts about where it is, right on the cache page that only you will be able to see.

Edited by Brooklyn51

That's worse than deleting them. The cache owner won't receive a notification of the find. If the original DNF made the owner decided to check on the cache, he may waste a trip unless he happens to check the cache page.

I thought we were concentrating on the DNF log, but here is the more precise correction.

After writing a FOUND log on the revisited cache, some then go back and also EDIT their DNF log. They add a line to the bottom indicating they had subsequently returned and made the find, but leave the original DNF text intact.

I always keep my DNF's and I also never thought of doing a bookmark list. Actually I wish the site did a blue frownie face on caches you didn't find so when you look at the map you know you attempted them, but didn't find them. I think this has been talked about before (at length), but I think it's still a good idea.

I log most of my DNFs. There are exceptions. If the owner is a complete putz and gives bad coords, I don't give him/her the satisfaction. Some vacation caches. Due to lack of time amd memory. these often get ignored. I don't know the area, the geocachers or their local lingo. Unless I'm pretty sure the cache is missing... But my DNFs always remain. I did not find that cache, and am willing to admit it. (I'm also known for tripping over 1/1s and not finding them.) Six new DNFs for this past vacation week. Oh, well.

A few thoughts.

DNFs are a badge of honor, not shame.

It's part of your cache history as well as letting people see that, ya know, this cache might be a bit tough according to the previous DNF logs.

We have a challenge cache that you have to have logged an X number of DNFs to be able to search for it.

Keep your DNF logs.

Nope. They are definitely a badge of shame! Or else we wouldn't be discussing it here.

I'm at around 75 after a year, and I should probably have a few more if I had been being honest...

Piker! I'm at 322 DNFs! :)

Nope. I never bookmark them. If I decide to go looking again, then I'll read the new logs.

Leave the DNF note. It gives hope to future cachers to not give up and try again later.

I totally agree. I'm new as well and when I read "oh thanks that was an easy peasy find" and it's taken me three tries, I'm a little irritated by easy peasy guy. I like to see when others had trouble finding it and I make the plan to return another day with new eyes!