Garmin 62st

Cybercat

ask away. i have the 62s and so do quite a few others.

How do I look for a cache by name?

Also, I am dragging the arrow over to an area on the map where I know I need caches, but no boxes are appearing on the topo map there.........?

On my previous model.......the 60CS, I could drag over to an area and hit Find, and it would give me a list of everything where the arrow was.

It should work the same when you pan the map. Do you actually have caches in there?

DOH! No! I hadn't changed the gps model on setup in GSAK. Ok, now I used it today to find some caches and it was soooooooooo confusing! Here's what I am doing to mark a find.......

push FIND>geocaches>enter>( find the cache I want)enter>Go>OffRoad>enter>scroll to Main Menu>Enter>geocaches>scroll down to Log Attempt and THEN hit found.

There MUST be an easier way..........???

DOH! No! I hadn't changed the gps model on setup in GSAK. Ok, now I used it today to find some caches and it was soooooooooo confusing! Here's what I am doing to mark a find.......

push FIND>geocaches>enter>( find the cache I want)enter>Go>OffRoad>enter>scroll to Main Menu>Enter>geocaches>scroll down to Log Attempt and THEN hit found.

Go>OffRoad???

I don't see OffRoad as an option in any of the menus on mine.

While in the Geocaching profile I can use the "quit" and "page" buttons to scroll through the menu bar. You can scroll the the "Geocaches" menus and then log the attempt, or if you are on the map page hit the "menu" button and then go to the view geocache option.

Go>OffRoad???

While in the Geocaching profile I can use the "quit" and "page" buttons to scroll through the menu bar. You can scroll the the "Geocaches" menus and then log the attempt, or if you are on the map page hit the "menu" button and then go to the view geocache option.

After I hit the geocache I want, a screen pops up that says GO, a screen pops up that says Set the Guidance Method for this route.......Off Road, On Road for Time, On Road for Distance.

I haven't installed City Navigator yet, so this may show up only if you are using the topo maps.

What is the Geocaching profile?

Go>OffRoad???

After I hit the geocache I want, a screen pops up that says GO, a screen pops up that says Set the Guidance Method for this route.......Off Road, On Road for Time, On Road for Distance.

I haven't installed City Navigator yet, so this may show up only if you are using the topo maps.

What is the Geocaching profile?

In the main menu there is a "Profile Change" option. It will allow you to set defaults for different profiles, geocahing, automotive, recreation, marine, etc. Select the profile you want and then set up the GPS as you would want it for that profile. Switch to the next profile and then set that one up for that activity.

For instance, I have my automotive profile setup to use the street maps, and the automitive view. The geocaching profile is setup to use the topo maps and the North up view. I can then use the automotive profile and it will guide me via roads using the streetmaps. When I arrive at the trailhead I switch to the geocahing mode and it guides me straightline (off road) with the topo maps displayed.

You can change anything on the unit at it will stay with the profile you were in when you made the change and will not transfer to the other profiles. You can add, remove and change the order of pages on the page menu. Use different maps, views, etc.

have the caches loaded with a GPX file.

to find a cache:

hit FIND>GEOCACHES (i put this at the top of my list)>select a cache from the list (it will list whichever are closed to you)>ENTER>GO>OFF ROAD/ON ROAD>ENTER. then it starts navigating.

to mark a cache found:

MENU>VIEW GEOCACHE>LOG ATTEMP>then pick FOUND/DNF/NEEDS REPAIR etc.

it's quit simple.

i do NOT have city navigator intalled. just basemaps and topo, but it should NOT make a difference in how it handles the FIND/FOUND functions.

You're getting there.....

I loaded the street maps and use the geocaching dashboard.

OK, used it this weekend with some success....just a lot of getting used to........big question now.......

On my previous unit, it went doodledeedoo when I was maybe 1/2 a mile from a turn.....then a little text screen popped up that showed me how much farther it was till the turn. Doodledeedoo again at about .10 of a mile, then doodledeedoo again when the turn was really close.

My 62st has text saying where to turn, but I have no idea how close I am.........no text showing feet till turn, no doodledeedoo and I am missing turns. Where is the place to set doodledeedoos approaching a turn and text to show how far away it is?

If you switch to Automotive profile the default settings will give you an audible turn alert and map page setup that give you what you are looking for.

I see Automotive profile..when I click it, it says Edit Name, Move up, Move down, Delete............???

You are in Setup>Profiles. You should go to Main Menu>Profiles and select Automotive.

If you switch to Automotive profile the default settings will give you an audible turn alert and map page setup that give you what you are looking for.

I see Automotive profile..when I click it, it says Edit Name, Move up, Move down, Delete............???

You are in Setup>Profiles. You should go to Main Menu>Profiles and select Automotive.

Dang, this thing is NOT user friendly!! Think I've got it, at least for the things I want it to do.............except, one more question.........when I get close enough to a cache and want to go to 'off road', what is the difference between hitting 'compass' and 'recalculate off road'?

I was doing trying to use those 2 settings interchangeably, but it wasn't working.........it was giving me a different distance on each of those settings................??

Think I've got it, at least for the things I want it to do.............except, one more question.........when I get close enough to a cache and want to go to 'off road', what is the difference between hitting 'compass' and 'recalculate off road'?

I was doing trying to use those 2 settings interchangeably, but it wasn't working.........it was giving me a different distance on each of those settings................??

switching to the compass screen doesn't recalculate anything. if the route is currently calculated for on-road navigation, then the compass screen will accordingly show you distance to the next turn on the road, direction to that turn, and so on. then you can "recalculate for off-road" and after that, the compass will show you information according to navigation to your destination as the crow flies. then you could recalculate for on-road navigation again, and it will go back to showing you distance to the next turn etc etc.

but you should really use the profiles. the geocaching profile should be configured for off-road navigation while the automotive profile should be configured for on-road. switching between the profiles will "recalculate" the route as necessary. that way i never have the need to use the "recalculate" menu option, which i find much more cumbersome than switching between profiles.

Edited by dfx
Think I've got it, at least for the things I want it to do.............except, one more question.........when I get close enough to a cache and want to go to 'off road', what is the difference between hitting 'compass' and 'recalculate off road'?

switching to the compass screen doesn't recalculate anything. if the route is currently calculated for on-road navigation, then the compass screen will accordingly show you distance to the next turn on the road, direction to that turn, and so on. then you can "recalculate for off-road" and after that, the compass will show you information according to navigation to your destination as the crow flies. then you could recalculate for on-road navigation again, and it will go back to showing you distance to the next turn etc etc.

but you should really use the profiles. the geocaching profile should be configured for off-road navigation while the automotive profile should be configured for on-road. switching between the profiles will "recalculate" the route as necessary. that way i never have the need to use the "recalculate" menu option, which i find much more cumbersome than switching between profiles.

on my old gps, I would set it to 'follow road' and then when I was close to the cache, I would choose 'off road' which would show me an arrow and distance in feet to the cache. So now when I get close to the cache, I have to hit 'recalculate for off-road?"

I totally don't understand the profile thing.......

Hi;

Maybe this has been answered somewhere but I'm not good with forums and finding answers in them. Please forgive if this is a duplicate question.

I have the Garmin GPSmap 62st. All I want to do is HIDE a Cache and I don't know HOW to mark the cooridinates on the thing so I can input the info

for others to find it. I'm stupid... I'm frustrated and about ready to just give up... (Tears here!)

Everytime I try to Mark the spot and have someone find it before I log it on Geocaching.com they tell me it's wrong and that I didn't do it right.

It takes them to a parking lot but it won't get them off the path into the woods . I'm so unhappy.

Will someone please explain in baby steps if you have the time... Exactly what I suppose to do.... I have fun finding caches but I want to HIDE one and

I can't....

Please help me....

I also have a Garmin Oregon 550t if you know that instead....

Thanks to anyone who can help me hide my first cache!

HidesNSeeks

Hi;

Maybe this has been answered somewhere but I'm not good with forums and finding answers in them. Please forgive if this is a duplicate question.

I have the Garmin GPSmap 62st. All I want to do is HIDE a Cache and I don't know HOW to mark the cooridinates on the thing so I can input the info

for others to find it. I'm stupid... I'm frustrated and about ready to just give up... (Tears here!)

Everytime I try to Mark the spot and have someone find it before I log it on Geocaching.com they tell me it's wrong and that I didn't do it right.

It takes them to a parking lot but it won't get them off the path into the woods . I'm so unhappy.

Will someone please explain in baby steps if you have the time... Exactly what I suppose to do.... I have fun finding caches but I want to HIDE one and

I can't....

Please help me....

I also have a Garmin Oregon 550t if you know that instead....

Thanks to anyone who can help me hide my first cache!

HidesNSeeks

Go to the Waypoint Averaging menu and create the waypoint there. When you start the waypoint averaging hold the device in the air until it reaches 100% and then save the coordinates. This usually gives you very good coordinates.

Plus remember....ALWAYS check your waypoint by walking 50 meters or so away and then navigate to it using the coordinates of the waypoint you created.. If it is not taking you to where you want to go then redo them..

62ST Question. I just got a new 62ST and have it loaded (using Base Camp). I noticed tonight that when I look at the logs for any cache on the device, ALL of the logs for every cache look like this:

:) 12/27/2011. {username}

N 00 00.000' E 000 00.000'

Distance: 5268 mi

{log text........}

Could someone explain the 0 coordinates and the distance of 5268 ?

Thanks,

Stewj

Edited by Stewj