How long does reviewing take...

Browner389

I have hid a geocache and have been waiting a couple days for it to be reviewed. I know that there are a lot of caches being hidden all over but in my town there is hardly any. I have already put coins and travel bugs in my cache and wanna know how long the process takes or why it needs to be reviewed.

What goes into reviewing a cache anyways?

USUALLY.... it will be reviewed within 3 days. However, your reviewer may be on vacation, or have some family situation or even the dreaded "W" word (work) interfering with their reviewing. Remember the reviewers are volunteers with regular jobs and families and life to deal with.

Also check your listing and see if there are any reviewer notes for potential problems.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. How do you become a reviewer? I would find that kind of interesting. I have a couple more caches that I am ready to hide but this waiting game is terrible. My page just says not been reviewed yet. Hopefully soon it will be.

Bring me to another question; does the reviewer go out and find the cache during a review?

I have hid a geocache and have been waiting a couple days for it to be reviewed. I know that there are a lot of caches being hidden all over but in my town there is hardly any. I have already put coins and travel bugs in my cache and wanna know how long the process takes or why it needs to be reviewed.

What goes into reviewing a cache anyways?

I'm not a reviewer, but I've laid enough caches to know that it takes anywhere from a couple of hours (if you're really lucky) to three or four days for caches to be reviewed. A lot depends on timing, the reviewer and how many caches they have to look at. We're approaching 10/10/2010 now and there are a large number of world-wide events going on for which many caches are being laid. I'm betting the reviewers are pretty darned busy.

As for what they look at, they check the following:

1. How close is the cache to any others in the area?

2. Is it on public land?

3. If it's on private property, have you obtained permission?

4. Is it in forbidden territory (i.e. is it in a National Park or some area that forbids caching)?

5. Does it ring any alarm bells from its description (i.e. did you place what looks like a pipe bomb under a bridge)?

There are other things, of course, but those are among the biggies. The reviewers are all volunteers and do a really good job, by and large. Be patient! They'll get to you. I have six in queue right now, waiting publication. I've been waiting for a couple of days, but I figure it'll happen in time. Besides, it's always nice when caches are released just before a weekend!!

Cheers!

Vicky

Bring me to another question; does the reviewer go out and find the cache during a review?

Nope. They'd go mad, if they had to do that. They just look at the information you give them and the maps they have to see if things all look okay. If they have any questions, they put "reviewer's notes" on your pending caches.

Vicky

I'm posting to confirm that the OP's cache was submitted properly for review on Monday afternoon. Thanks to the OP for hiding a cache, and for your patience in awaiting word about its publication. Thanks to everyone else for the helpful tips, links, etc.

Today I archived or disabled more than a dozen caches where I had left a detailed note explaining a listing guideline issue, but I never heard back for several weeks. Maybe there should be a thread for reviewers to ask why they aren't getting answers from cache owners! :rolleyes:

Well you see there's this lady. And she's in a lake.

And there's a sword involved, but it's stuck in a rock so is quite tricky to get hold of (the only hint you get is 'in a rock').

But if you can take the sword from the rock...

Soo very close....

Not a lady.. but a frog, in the lake..

Not a sword but a magic ammo can. but its stuck under a large rock. If you spend hours trying to get the ammo can free, gathering friends and asking for hints, and waste all your time trying to get the cache open, showing a complete insane devotion to this golden ammo can..

Then when you get it open and sign the log Signal the frog rises from the lake and grants you the gilded keyboard that you will use at 2am when you are reviewing.. including the magic publish, and archive buttons.

Well you see there's this lady. And she's in a lake.

And there's a sword involved, but it's stuck in a rock so is quite tricky to get hold of (the only hint you get is 'in a rock').

But if you can take the sword from the rock...

Soo very close....

Not a lady.. but a frog, in the lake..

Not a sword but a magic ammo can. but its stuck under a large rock. If you spend hours trying to get the ammo can free, gathering friends and asking for hints, and waste all your time trying to get the cache open, showing a complete insane devotion to this golden ammo can..

Then when you get it open and sign the log Signal the frog rises from the lake and grants you the gilded keyboard that you will use at 2am when you are reviewing.. including the magic publish, and archive buttons.

I liked the sword version better, the keyboard version is, well, so geeky.