Turn off cache i placed notification - how?

simonparker

I have basic membership, and started a new cache near my home yesterday which went live a few hours later. But now i get emailed every time someone finds it, 7 already and it's driving me nuts. Can i turn the notification off? I can see a 'notification' setting but that's only for 'premium' members, can't see a setting anywhere to turn it off for basic members. Otherwise all i can do is say the cache is not mine any more i guess.

Not sure if you are being serious or not, but will assume you are...

No you can't switch the notifications off, you need the notifications so you know if the cache needs maintenance or there are any other problems.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to know when someone logs it, or why people finding your cache would drive you nuts.

Don't forget, activity is going to be higher on a new cache, once it has been out a week or so, visits will drop off and the emails will be less regular.

You couldalways set up your email account to divert those messages, based on subject header, to another account or inbox folder?

But for me, part of the whole cache owning thing is reading the logs people write when they find it, and having them delivered to me by email is great.

As for saying the cache is not yours any more, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I assume you read the responsibilities of a cache owner before you put yours out. You cannot just pretend it's not yours ;)

The notification setting for Premium Members does not do what you think it does, it actually emails you when ever any log type you choose is posted within X miles (you can turn that off) however you can't turn off log emails for your own cache.

Also, you can't just say the cache isn't yours. The cache is always linked to your account (unless you adopt it to someone else)

Read about cache permanence http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#perm

I hate to say it, but this is why a lot of people believe that someone should have 50 or 100 finds under their belt before they are allowed to place a geocache.

A person who has only 1 or two finds (actually 1 find, the second was his own cache) like the OP, is often just too inexperienced to know what they are doing.

This isn't a criticism of the person, just the reality that there's a lot more to learn than is at first apparent. It takes a while to fully understand what geocaching is all about, and what constitutes a good hide or a poor hide. In addition, it is often these caches that have problems such as bad coordinates, bad containers, or being placed without permission. Not always, but all too often.

A cache is the property and responsibility of the owner ... forever.

Edited by michigansnorkelers
I hate to say it, but this is why a lot of people believe that someone should have 50 or 100 finds under their belt before they are allowed to place a geocache.

unfortunately there's a few "seasoned" cachers out there, with thousands of finds and hundreds of hides, who aren't any better. they keep placing caches, and when one of them goes missing or otherwise needs maintenance, nothing happens, until it eventually gets archived.

A person who has only 1 or two finds (actually 1 find, the second was his own cache) like the OP, is often just too inexperienced to know what they are doing.

while i don't like placing restrictions on people, this is an issue that needs to be addressed but GS won't touch it with a 10ft pole

there has been a surge of hides in our area from people that placed a cache as soon as they signed up, or have 1-2 finds

once in a blue moon is OK but its spreading like a diseases now and we even tried to educate one of the local junior cachers and it all went into deaf ears, still publishing caches before putting the container out

unfortunately there's a few "seasoned" cachers out there, with thousands of finds and hundreds of hides, who aren't any better. they keep placing caches, and when one of them goes missing or otherwise needs maintenance, nothing happens, until it eventually gets archived.

Hey, I know that guy. So he places caches in your area too? Bummer isn't it?