Please explain the new "Souvenirs" feature

BlueGerbil

Isn't it ironic that those that are jealous of development time being used for something other than their preferred projects are demanding that more development time be used on the project that they resent so much?

:blink:

Also, they don't care about the souvenirs they have but do care what others think about the souvenirs they have.

Who is "they"?

As you can tell from my post, I was referring to those posters who believe that developing souvis was a waste of programming resources and are requesting more of these resources to be used to allow them to opt out.

:huh: Oh, really? :o

Of course, I knew that. What my small sarcasm was about was in your lumping everyone that thinks that developing them was a waste of time with everyone that wants to be able to opt out. I think they were a horrendous waste of time, but I don't feel the need to opt out.

I didn't lump everyone together. I only spoke to 'they' who are in both camps.

Frankly, I have trouble understanding why anyone would care about opting out of something so innocuous.

I dunno... you seem to be expending quite a bit of energy here on something that you don't seem to care about.

Properly stated it's that some people may see a privacy issue with souvenirs. Since most of the souvenirs are given for caching in a particular region, they provide an easy way for someone to see where you have been. Certainly one could look at the list of all the caches I've found and tell where I have been, but this is more effort than anyone would likely go through. Prior to the souvenir I doubt anyone except maybe one or two cache owners knew that I had cached in Pennsylvania. Now anyone looking at my profile can see this. As souvenirs become more specific this could make it easier for information that I'd prefer not to be widely known to be found. Imagine a souvenir for finding a geocache in the parking lot of an adult store :blink:

now that seriously made me LOL

please enlighten me, how exactly knowing were you've been is useful to anyone or how can it be used to "attack" you in any way?

meanwhile you continue to post in a public forum, use email and the web in general

why not stop logging your finds so that way nobody knows anything about your PAST whereabouts

i'd be more worried about someone waiting for me to get out of the house, or following me as opposed to knowing where's i've been last month

Describe to me a scenario where somebody could take the information that is currently available on a profile and use it in a devious and harmful fashion. Sell me on the idea, cause I just not feeling it. Specifically sell me how revealing that a person cached in a state can used against them.

It's patently ridiculous and absurd.

The two profile areas that come up most often, for me, are making it very easy for people to see that I'm caching out of town (and that we are away from our home), and posting photos of my kids.

If I had the ability to keep strangers from viewing my profile, and only opening it to people I trust, it wouldn't be nearly as much of a concern. I could post logs on the fly with the geocaching app and know that it would be unlikely that folks in New York would be able to easily see that I was caching out of state and/or was on an extended vacation. They'd have to be watching the caches I was visiting in Colorado or France or wherever to notice my logs. As opposed to simply clicking on my profile and having our locations and dates laid out easy-peasy. I wouldn't feel I have to wait until I returned home to log everything, like I currently do.

Also, photos of my kids. There are times I've thought about posting photos of my kids with a cache they really like to the cache page, but I get a little iffy about people I don't know being able to line up a gallery of a bunch of photos of my family in one easy tab. A random photo from a cache here and there doesn't bother me as much; organizing it all in one place for someone who for some reason really wants to see addisonbr's family photos - that's something I'd rather have a little control over.

You may find it patently ridiculous and absurd, and I can understand that for you it feels that way. Some people are very comfortable with a completely open social networking experience. For me, I'd like to have a little more control over who sees my stuff. The same way that I can control my Facebook profile and can lock down my tweets if I want.

As far as souvenirs specifically go, I don't have any particular privacy concerns about them. I don't personally think people knowing that I once found a cache in Delaware matters much to me.

One way I would flip things around would be to wonder why someone has a specific need to easily view every cache log of mine, every photo, every trackable I own. I can't come up with a compelling reason that Joe Bagodonuts needs to access all of that information about me at one time in one easy place; I don't think it hurts anyone else's game to restrict that sort of organization of my own information to trusted Friends. Other people on Facebook don't seem to be negatively affected by my decision to restrict my Facebook profile to my Friends list, and I suspect that other geocachers would still fully enjoy geocaching without being able to easily access my geocaching data.

Some of us received the Georgia souvenir without ever finding a cache there. :blink:

rollback!!!!!!1111oneone

Then you get someone like me who has cached in 15 states and I have two state-souvenirs.

Well, I've also cached in a bunch of states (but not Georgia), and Georgia is the only one to appear so far. But I suspect they are rolling out the states sequentially (as they finish them, there are 50 after all), so suspect the others will appear in due course. Appreciate sbell's comment that it's a Georgia-based traveling cache I found (elsewhere) - that makes sense, I guess.

Describe to me a scenario where somebody could take the information that is currently available on a profile and use it in a devious and harmful fashion. Sell me on the idea, cause I just not feeling it. Specifically sell me how revealing that a person cached in a state can used against them.

The two profile areas that come up most often, for me, are making it very easy for people to see that I'm caching out of town (and that we are away from our home), and posting photos of my kids.

If I had the ability to keep strangers from viewing my profile, and only opening it to people I trust, it wouldn't be nearly as much of a concern. I could post logs on the fly with the geocaching app and know that it would be unlikely that folks in New York would be able to easily see that I was caching out of state and/or was on an extended vacation. They'd have to be watching the caches I was visiting in Colorado or France or wherever to notice my logs. As opposed to simply clicking on my profile and having our locations and dates laid out easy-peasy. I wouldn't feel I have to wait until I returned home to log everything, like I currently do.

Also, photos of my kids. There are times I've thought about posting photos of my kids with a cache they really like to the cache page, but I get a little iffy about people I don't know being able to line up a gallery of a bunch of photos of my family in one easy tab. A random photo from a cache here and there doesn't bother me as much; organizing it all in one place for someone who for some reason really wants to see addisonbr's family photos - that's something I'd rather have a little control over.

You may find it patently ridiculous and absurd, and I can understand that for you it feels that way. Some people are very comfortable with a completely open social networking experience. For me, I'd like to have a little more control over who sees my stuff. The same way that I can control my Facebook profile and can lock down my tweets if I want.

As far as souvenirs specifically go, I don't have any particular privacy concerns about them. I don't personally think people knowing that I once found a cache in Delaware matters much to me.

One way I would flip things around would be to wonder why someone has a specific need to easily view every cache log of mine, every photo, every trackable I own. I can't come up with a compelling reason that Joe Bagodonuts needs to access all of that information about me at one time in one easy place; I don't think it hurts anyone else's game to restrict that sort of organization of my own information to trusted Friends. Other people on Facebook don't seem to be negatively affected by my decision to restrict my Facebook profile to my Friends list, and I suspect that other geocachers would still fully enjoy geocaching without being able to easily access my geocaching data.

I don't generally post pictures of my family on the interwebz but these days that's pretty much an "old folks" paranoia. They're likely there if your kids have computers..

Logging on the fly could be considered a luxury, cachingly speaking. If you're worried about thieves knowing that you aren't home there are many more possibilities than here to figure that out. In fact, a thief who depends on this website to target victims probably ain't very smart or successful.

I like looking at other people's profiles to see which caches they've found. Whether we have finds in common. Maybe caches I want to look for. I don't give a darn about your specific data, per se, but the absence of general stuff like that would make the game less interesting for me.

All this assumes that these unknown people know where you live. Only my closest and trusted friends know where I live. A bad guy may be able to learn from my online activities that I'm not at home, but what good will that do him when he doesn't know where my home is?

I don't generally post pictures of my family on the interwebz but these days that's pretty much an "old folks" paranoia. They're likely there if your kids have computers..

They're not; we are pretty careful. We do have a few behind a restricted Facebook account.

Logging on the fly could be considered a luxury, cachingly speaking. If you're worried about thieves knowing that you aren't home there are many more possibilities than here to figure that out. In fact, a thief who depends on this website to target victims probably ain't very smart or successful.

We do other little things; stop newspaper delivery, etc. We may not stop a single-mindedly determined thief - but I like making things harder for opportunistic thieves too :blink:

All this assumes that these unknown people know where you live. Only my closest and trusted friends know where I live. A bad guy may be able to learn from my online activities that I'm not at home, but what good will that do him when he doesn't know where my home is?

With regards to photos of my kids, I'd still rather folks not be able to look through them without me saying it's okay first, regardless of whether they know my home address or not.

We had a challenge with a bent-out-of-shape cacher here about 3 years ago. Some of his caches had gone missing, and he was convinced other cachers had stolen them. He made some pretty angry posts on our local forums. I had never dealt with this person - no email, never even hunted one of his hides. But in one of his posts he pointed out that he knew I had kids. Maybe because I am the admin for our local boards, or because I am a local FTF hunter? Regardless, it spooked me a bit and made me glad I hadn't posted any open pics of them.

I'm not saying other people can't have totally open profiles - everyone has their own level of comfort. But I don't think it hurts others much if they have to ask me before they see my data.

With regards to photos of my kids, I'd still rather folks not be able to look through them without me saying it's okay first, regardless of whether they know my home address or not.

We had a challenge with a bent-out-of-shape cacher here about 3 years ago. Some of his caches had gone missing, and he was convinced other cachers had stolen them. He made some pretty angry posts on our local forums. I had never dealt with this person - no email, never even hunted one of his hides. But in one of his posts he pointed out that he knew I had kids. Maybe because I am the admin for our local boards, or because I am a local FTF hunter? Regardless, it spooked me a bit and made me glad I hadn't posted any open pics of them.

I'm not saying other people can't have totally open profiles - everyone has their own level of comfort. But I don't think it hurts others much if they have to ask me before they see my data.

I had an incident a few years ago with a completely different online community. Lines were drawn and people took sides. I received death threats, pictures of myself photoshopped to look mutilated and several people tried to play internet detective and snoop out where I lived, what my job was and some decided that I was a child molester living in a different state under a different name. :blink: There were forum bannings on both sides and I had to involve a legal advocate to get action on my behalf. It was ugly.*

All the threats were just posturing by high school and college kids in their parents' basement trying to inflate themselves up and they never actually got close to me. A year later and there are only maybe five people still in that community that remembered the whole thing. It's been about ten years now and I don't think that community even exists.

My point is, I can relate. My Facebook account is locked down. My profile has none of my work history or education history. Unless you're a friend (not even a friend of a friend) you can't even see my other information and nobody can see my phone number or "check me in" to places.

Other information- an event I hosted at our house, for example you can find. Just knowing were I live isn't going to give you carte blanche access to our lives.

The truth is, the people that are most likely to harm your kids are people they already know; a relative, a family friend, a friend at school. The random stranger abduction cases are the exception, not the rule.

I respect that you're trying to protect your kids, but back on topic...

Knowing that at one time you visited a vast track of land to geocache is not a threat to your safety. Knowing that you have visited the state of Georgia at one time, or even that you live in Georgia is incredibly non-specific. Considering that the GPS coordinates of every cache that you've ever found already is published on this site, concern for the state by state summary being available is ludicrous.

*In the end, I came out on top.

Knowing that at one time you visited a vast track of land to geocache is not a threat to your safety. Knowing that you have visited the state of Georgia at one time, or even that you live in Georgia is incredibly non-specific. Considering that the GPS coordinates of every cache that you've ever found already is published on this site, concern for the state by state summary being available is ludicrous.

I'd very much like the option to restrict my profile the same way that many reasonable people like the option of restricting their Facebook data. But the souvenirs specifically are not something I'm worried about. I am more likely to brag about the states I've cached in than to worry about hiding them.

I'd very much like the option to restrict my profile the same way that many reasonable people like the option of restricting their Facebook data. But the souvenirs specifically are not something I'm worried about. I am more likely to brag about the states I've cached in than to worry about hiding them.

Why did you choose to post comments about privacy concerns, in a thread about souvenirs, if you aren't worried about souvenirs? :blink:

Why did you choose to post comments about privacy concerns, in a thread about souvenirs, if you aren't worried about souvenirs? :blink:

I think I started a spur with the comment about hoping this doesn't become the trend- opting out, bla bla bla.

In a post directed in reply specifically to me, someone asked:

So I gave a couple of examples. Others may disagree, but I was specifically asked for my opinion / concerns so I politely replied.

Although there is information in a profile I'd rather have control over, souvenirs aren't high on that list.

The question began as to why someone would want to opt out of souvenirs. I tried to point out that some may have privacy concerns. But several people felt the need to belittle anyone who might perceive it as privacy issue. I agree that the information in the souvenir is already available in the list of caches found by a user; but it is a bit more difficult to extract, especially if a user has a high find count. It may be true that the souvenirs given out so far are for reasons that only a paranoid person would be concerned about others knowing. I tried to give an example, albeit far-fetched, of a souvenir that someone might not want to show in their profile for all to see. What a person perceives as private information and how much they want to reveal should be up that person - and if the person is being overly paranoid that isn't a reason to say that they shouldn't be able to opt out. I still contend that someone may feel that the list of souvenirs makes it easier for a someone to see where you have been. You and I may not fear anyone one seeing that we've been to Pennsylvania sometime in the past six years, but I find no reason to belittle someone who would not want to make that easier, just as I would not belittle someone who doesn't post pictures of their children online. It's easy enough to opt out of posting pictures of your kids, but to opt out of having your souvenirs displayed you essentially have to go back and delete all your old finds in places you might not want to be public. Unlike the list of found caches that was in place when most people signed up for a account, souvenirs are a new feature that Groundspeak added without asking for input from the geocaching community. Since it makes it easier to find information than it used to be an opt out capability is warranted.

Edited by tozainamboku

I understand. That is a serious threat that I would not take lightly. I wonder of the DA or Attorney General would get involved in such a thing?

I understand. That is a serious threat that I would not take lightly. I wonder of the DA or Attorney General would get involved in such a thing?

Speaking from my personal experiance, it was impossible to get a laywer to care about something that only happened on the internet. I was told, basically "call me when they threaten you on the phone or in person and if it's by phone, only if they're in the same area as you".

The question began... ...opt out capability is warranted.

Many, many people see your long-winded indentation-free massive walls of text and use of the word "puritan" to describe everybody that doesn't share your opinion as belittling.

I stand by what I said- publishing all the states that somebody has cached in is not a privacy issue. The state that you live in is printed on your car tags for crying out loud. It's too non-specific.

So, is anybody actually worried about this? All I've seen so far is two people presenting this as a hypothetical. Is anybody actually concerned about this- souvenirs -from a privacy/security stand point?

Edited by Castle Mischief

I think my bigger worry about privacy is that if I start up my phone to even look for a cache while I'm on vacation in another state a souvenir pops up immediately. It's not a historical I've been there sort of thing but a real time announcement that I'm not home. Being in a smaller community with a smaller community of cachers it's not hard to figure out where anyone lives.

But my opt out has nothing to do with privacy as stated before but because I just don't want to participate in that game. I'm here for geocaching. If I wanted the other stuff I would play those games.

I didn't lump everyone together. I only spoke to 'they' who are in both camps.

Frankly, I have trouble understanding why anyone would care about opting out of something so innocuous.

I dunno... you seem to be expending quite a bit of energy here on something that you don't seem to care about.

I don't know where you got the idea that I don't care. I actually think souvis are a little bit of awesome.

Perhaps this game and his site isn't for you as the social stuff is partly responsible for it's success. Beyond that, if you aren't comfortable posting pics of your kids or logging personal stuff, don't do it. If you

are concerned with people knowing that you are out of town, don't log you finds until you

get back (or set your alarm like the rest of us do). This isn't rocket

science and doesn't require fundemental changes to the site.

I think my bigger worry about privacy is that if I start up my phone to even look for a cache while I'm on vacation in another state a souvenir pops up immediately. It's not a historical I've been there sort of thing but a real time announcement that I'm not home. Being in a smaller community with a smaller community of cachers it's not hard to figure out where anyone lives.

But my opt out has nothing to do with privacy as stated before but because I just don't want to participate in that game. I'm here for geocaching. If I wanted the other stuff I would play those games.

Somebody would have to be sitting at their computer, with your profile page up hitting F5 over and over, just waiting for your next souvenir to pop up.

Anybody that obsessed and that driven is going to find other ways to figure out when you're not at home. The time-honored method of "driving past your house" comes to mind.

Do you ever go to events? Ever posted a "will attend" log to an event log?

The thing about souvenirs is that there's no additional "game" to play. They just pop up. No extra effort required on your part. How I cached last month is no different from how I'll cache next month. Never click that tab and you'll never know they're there.

Perhaps this game and his site isn't for you as the social stuff is partly responsible for it's success. Beyond that, if you aren't comfortable posting pics of your kids or logging personal stuff, don't do it. If you are concerned with people knowing that you are out of town, don't log you finds until you get back (or set your alarm like the rest of us do). This isn't rocket science and doesn't require fundemental changes to the site.

Oh, I think the game and the site are very much for me. I enjoy finding caches, publishing caches, hosting events (like last night), and administering the forums for our local geocaching organization.

You could argue that the social stuff is not just partly responsible for the success of Facebook but *entirely* responsible for it. And yet, reasonable people like having some control over their information.

If there were options to restrict my profile, like on virtually every other social networking site on the planet, I would be more comfortable being more social on the site. I would post more photos for example. And yes while I am not a rocket scientist, I did figure out to post my finds after I return from a long vacation. I'd prefer to post them on the fly because it's easier and more fun for me to do it from the iPhone app, but for now I can do it the less convenient way.

Just expressing a preference. I don't understand the suggestion that geocaching isn't for me, simply because (say) I'd like to have a little control over my photos before I post them.

What you and others continue to miss is that while sites like facebook are built around interacting with your friends and family, gc.com is built around interacting with strangers. Changing that dynamic as you suggest would be bad for the site and for the game.

Edited by sbell111

Oh, I think the game and the site are very much for me. I enjoy finding caches, publishing caches, hosting events (like last night), and administering the forums for our local geocaching organization.

You could argue that the social stuff is not just partly responsible for the success of Facebook but *entirely* responsible for it. And yet, reasonable people like having some control over their information.

If there were options to restrict my profile, like on virtually every other social networking site on the planet, I would be more comfortable being more social on the site. I would post more photos for example. And yes while I am not a rocket scientist, I did figure out to post my finds after I return from a long vacation. I'd prefer to post them on the fly because it's easier and more fun for me to do it from the iPhone app, but for now I can do it the less convenient way.

Just expressing a preference. I don't understand the suggestion that geocaching isn't for me, simply because (say) I'd like to have a little control over my photos before I post them.

We're deviating from the issue of souvenirs and perhaps this needs a new thread, but...

You have control over your pictures now. If you don't want to post them you don't have to.

So, you're okay with hosting an event and announcing to the world in advance, that you will be in a certain location at a certain time. You're also okay with publishing a cache that re-posts the logs of people that find it to a Twitter feed, but you want people to have control over their information...?

What you and others continue to miss is that while sites like facebook are built around interacting with your friends and family, gc.com is built around interacting wig strangers. Changing that dynamic as you suggest would be bad for the site and for the game.

I just haven't seen where people asking me to see my photos first hurts the game.

You have control over your pictures now. If you don't want to post them you don't have to.

Correct. What I'm saying is that if there were more controls, I would post more photos.

People who want to be totally open could leave their profiles totally open. People who like having a little control over who sees their data could use a Friends list.

So, you're okay with hosting an event and announcing to the world in advance, that you will be in a certain location at a certain time. You're also okay with publishing a cache that re-posts the logs of people that find it to a Twitter feed, but you want people to have control over their information...?

I'm more worried about telling people that I'm out of town for four weeks than about telling people I'll be hosting a workshop. I suspect there are reasonable people out there who host events but also do sensible things like suspend newspaper delivery, etc. when they're out of town for a long time.

As far as Twitter Cache goes, I'd be more than happy to let anyone opt out of it. That wouldn't seem unreasonable to me in the least.

What you and others continue to miss is that while sites like facebook are built around interacting with your friends and family, gc.com is built around interacting wig strangers. Changing that dynamic as you suggest would be bad for the site and for the game.

I just haven't seen where people asking me to see my photos first hurts the game.

I'm just curious: who are those people pictured on your profile page?

It's a 10-year-old photo of myself, my wife, and one of my kids. The same one I use for my Faceboook profile, now that I think about it. I'm comfortable with the one photo. I'd prefer for people to ask me before seeing my gallery.

Edited by addisonbr

You find a strangers cache, post a pic, and you want him to ask you permission to see the pic?

Edited by sbell111

You find a strangers cache, post a pic, and you want him to ask you permission to see the pic.

Oh, no, I have no problems with photos posted to a cache page being readily available to anyone who is on that cache page. When I post a photo to a cache page I know that I'm doing it for the CO and for future visitors to enjoy.

I would just prefer for someone not to be able to go to my cache profile and click one tab, to line up all of my personal photos in one place. I'd rather they ask first, before getting that level of organizational ease regarding my photos. I don't know why anyone would need to do that, at least without asking me first.

But yes, when I am lucky enough to find a great geocache and take an equally great photo that I post to the cache page, I am totally cool with including it in the public gallery for that cache page.

It's a 10-year-old photo of myself, my wife, and one of my kids. The same one I use for my Faceboook profile, now that I think about it. I'm comfortable with the one photo. I'd prefer for people to ask me before seeing my gallery.

Well, that's never gonna happen. For one thing, your gallery is composed of pictures that you have posted to cache logs. There is no other way to get them in there (well, OK, yes, you can post to notes on your own archived caches).

If you've gone to an event, people (and people that you don't even know) know what you look like.

Well, that's never gonna happen. For one thing, your gallery is composed of pictures that you have posted to cache logs. There is no other way to get them in there (well, OK, yes, you can post to notes on your own archived caches).

If you've gone to an event, people (and people that you don't even know) know what you look like.

Adding to that- people at events will often take your picture and post it to their logs.

I'd prefer for people to ask me before seeing my gallery.

It could be as simple as a Friend request; I've had several people send me that request on this site. It seems like it could happen. It seems to work okay on other social media sites. As yet being a Friend here doesn't seem to *do* anything, but the much of the code is there.

I know that the photos in my gallery are comprised of photos posted to cache pages. And I don't have a problem with people viewing them from those cache pages. I'd just rather that people not have an easy way to organize every photo I've taken by clicking on a simple tab in my profile. At least not without a Friend request or something similar.

It's similar to Facebook, really. Will photos of me occasionally show up on other people's Facebook pages, viewable by perhaps anyone? Yes, they will. But people don't have the ability to click on my name and view an organized gallery of hundreds or thousands of photos of me without electronically asking me first.

That's true, and I've enjoyed the events I've gone to. But I don't equate that to unfettered access to every photo I've ever taken.

I'm not a hermit who lives in a cabin in the woods and scares people off of my property with a shotgun. My goal isn't to drop off the grid completely. I'd just be more comfortable using this as a social site if I had a smidge of control over some of the data, that's all.

Adding to that- people at events will often take your picture and post it to their logs.

Yes, I don't have a problem with that. I think if someone is looking at an event page it's perfectly reasonable to see photos that were posted to that page. I'm in a few photos on event pages, although they're a touch tricky to track down because I usually log events with notes.

I don't have any issues with cache-level information.

I'm happy to announce that the souvenirs for Massachusetts, Maryland, and Brandenburg have been released and retroactively granted!
So are TPTB going to maintain a central list, or just post new-souvenir announcements?

Here's a non-central, and probably incomplete, list :anibad:

List removed by moderator.

Edited by Skippermark

This is what I dont get:

There are two ways to discover a souvenir. The first is to log a geocache within the souvenir zone.

I get that, you find and log a cache in the zone and get a cool little picture.

The second is to search for a geocache using the Geocaching Application for iPhone or Android when you are within the souvenir zone.

So I actually have to find the cache in a zone, but the dude with the crappy smart phone can just drive to that zone, do a search and get the same picture?

Am I reading this wrong?

Well, I am a crappy smart phone user (I have a Garmin too so that I can actually geocache) and I can tell you that I "earned" three souvenirs just for doing a search. I was pretty surprised. Plus, they seemed really random. I earned the 10-10-10 souvenir on 10-9-10 and I earned a souvenir called "Badenburg, Germany" when I was in Santa Ana, CA. Even though all three show up on my iPhone, only the 10-10-10 souvenir is listed on my Souvenirs page. Hmmm...

I'm happy to announce that the souvenirs for Massachusetts, Maryland, and Brandenburg have been released and retroactively granted!
So are TPTB going to maintain a central list, or just post new-souvenir announcements?

Here's a non-central, and probably incomplete, list :anibad:

I hope your conversation with Miss Jenn goes well.

:laughing:

You may find it patently ridiculous and absurd, and I can understand that for you it feels that way.

Not ridiculous at all. Just last week, photos of a cacher and his children were posted in a thread on this very forum. The poster of the photos were not the was not the cacher, nor do I think it is one of his children.

This is what I dont get:

There are two ways to discover a souvenir. The first is to log a geocache within the souvenir zone.

I get that, you find and log a cache in the zone and get a cool little picture.

The second is to search for a geocache using the Geocaching Application for iPhone or Android when you are within the souvenir zone.

So I actually have to find the cache in a zone, but the dude with the crappy smart phone can just drive to that zone, do a search and get the same picture?

Am I reading this wrong?

Well, I am a crappy smart phone user (I have a Garmin too so that I can actually geocache) and I can tell you that I "earned" three souvenirs just for doing a search. I was pretty surprised. Plus, they seemed really random. I earned the 10-10-10 souvenir on 10-9-10 and I earned a souvenir called "Badenburg, Germany" when I was in Santa Ana, CA. Even though all three show up on my iPhone, only the 10-10-10 souvenir is listed on my Souvenirs page. Hmmm...

Pretty much everyone that found a cache on 10/10/10 or used the mobile app got the 10/10/10 souvenir. It was used to kick off the new feature. The Baden-Wurttemburg and Delaware souvenirs are the first US and German State souvenirs created and have been awarded retroactively. Due to a bug, that existed the day they were released they were inadvertently awarded to almost everyone. The bug was fixed and they were removed from the profiles for anyone that had not earned them. However, due to how souvenirs are managed in the iPhone/Android apps they can't get into the "saved" space in the app to remove them. I'm still seeing the B-W souvenir on my iPhone even though I did an update of the app this morning.

Not ridiculous at all. Just last week, photos of a cacher and his children were posted in a thread on this very forum. The poster of the photos were not the was not the cacher, nor do I think it is one of his children.

so who took the pictures?

Another cacher (don't think it was the poster). What creeped me out is that poster must have been searching the galleries of other cachers to find this particular family out caching, then posted them on a thread here that had nothing to do with families.

Edited by John in Valley Forge
Another cacher (don't think it was the poster). What creeped me out is that poster must have been searching the galleries of other cachers to find this particular family out caching, then posted them on a thread here that had nothing to do with families.

so it's the fault of whoever took the pictures and uploaded them to gc.com, and not the fault of the poster. you can't blame someone for posting something that's public anyway.