Please explain the new "Souvenirs" feature

BlueGerbil

We'd have to discuss this in another thread. It's too far off topic. In short- it's how the game (on this website) has always been played. If you don't want your find count displayed then don't log the finds. Feel free to open up a new thread.

I guess I just saw it in terms of opting out of souvenirs. I can see the arguments in favor of opting out of souvenirs as easily as I can see the arguments in favor of opting out of similar public accomplishments. I'd be interested in hearing more from James about it.

I'm a little unsure about what you'd like to hear from me. We are going to provide users a means to not receive souvenirs if that's what they want.

Seems like the simplest way to do this is just hide the souvenirs tab on their profile. But frankly I don't quite see the need to opt in or out of souvis. If, like me, you don't care whether or not you get a souvenir, then you just go about caching as you always have. If by chance you logged a cache that gives you a souvenir, then it shows up on a tab on your profile that you never need to look at. Say you show up at some event and someone's asks "Where did you get that neat Project APE souvenir?" You can look at them and say "I didn't even know I had one" and then you can tell them about finding the Project APE cache. Of course there may be some people who don't want anyone to know they found the Project APE cache. In that case, they probably shouldn't be logging it online.

Thanks for the good questions!

In regards to any questions about souvenir submission, we are not presently accepting souvenirs from users. If this changes at some time in the future, we will let the community know. As for an official channel to suggest new souvenirs, we will make such a channel open at such time as we're ready to handle such requests.

Q: Will the qualifiers for a Souvenir be limited to geographical location or a specific cache/cache series?

I assume that you are using the term "qualifiers" to refer to the criteria which much be met to receive a given souvenir. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption. Some souvenirs are awarded for their geographical location, while others are awarded for attending a specific Mega-event. These are going to be the main types of souvenirs for the time being.

Yes, "qualifier" = "criteria". Thanks for the answers!

In regards to any questions about souvenir submission, we are not presently accepting souvenirs from users. If this changes at some time in the future, we will let the community know. As for an official channel to suggest new souvenirs, we will make such a channel open at such time as we're ready to handle such requests.

Uhmmm.... are you aware that there is a new forum for souvenirs in the Feedback forum? It appears to be operational. If you aren't ready to handle suggestions yet, you might want to remove that!

I guess I just saw it in terms of opting out of souvenirs. I can see the arguments in favor of opting out of souvenirs as easily as I can see the arguments in favor of opting out of similar public accomplishments. I'd be interested in hearing more from James about it.

I'm a little unsure about what you'd like to hear from me. We are going to provide users a means to not receive souvenirs if that's what they want.

I was thinking more along the lines of just hiding your souvenirs from others. Sort of like in Facebook how your profile is what it is, but you can adjust your privacy settings so that people can't poke through all of your data unless you'd like for them to.

There is already a "friends" function on geocaching.com that was implemented a long time ago. What about simply making the souvenir tab adjustable to three settings:

- Private

- Visible by Friends

- Visible by All

I was thinking more along the lines of just hiding your souvenirs from others. Sort of like in Facebook how your profile is what it is, but you can adjust your privacy settings so that people can't poke through all of your data unless you'd like for them to.

There is already a "friends" function on geocaching.com that was implemented a long time ago. What about simply making the souvenir tab adjustable to three settings:

- Private

- Visible by Friends

- Visible by All

Again, what is the private data that you're talking about that a person can't already look at your finds and ascertain?

Oh LOOK! Addisonbr has found a cache in... New York and California!! ZOMG! Call in an air strike!

:P

- Private

- Visible by Friends

- Visible by All

That makes sense to me. Extend that permissions model to bookmarks, the public profile, and even the "Number of finds" banner and that allows every geocacher to manage how much about how they play the game they expose to others.

- Private

- Visible by Friends

- Visible by All

Again, what is the private data that you're talking about that a person can't already look at your finds and ascertain?

Oh LOOK! Addisonbr has found a cache in... New York and California!! ZOMG! Call in an air strike!

:)

Actually, I wouldn't mind if my trail of finds was a little more controllable as well. Generally speaking, I think following the model of other social network sites and allowing a user some control over the privacy of his/her activities isn't a bad feature to offer. Those who aren't interested in that control wouldn't have to exercise it.

Souvenirs could be a very good feature to test this on. Still rolling it out, nobody depends on it yet... the risk of breaking anything is low.

I think information is already private. It is not attached to your real world identity. If you want to keep it private, be careful who and how you connect it to that real world identity. I think making it easy for people to be secretive about things like finds, etc. will diminish the shared experience that makes this site interesting. I find it perplexing that some users are desperate to turn it into a social networking site and others want to erase all trace of their presence. I don't think either is necessary. If people want to say no to souvenirs, let them but don't let them say yes but keep them secret.

Team Taran

I find it perplexing that some users are desperate to turn it into a social networking site and others want to erase all trace of their presence.

I think it's in a way analogous to Facebook and similar sites in general... They at their cores are *only* social networking sites, but some folks still see value in retaining a little control over their own information.

I rather wouldn't mind using more of my real-world identity on the site - posting more photos, for example. With zero control over the information it's been hard; a little more user-based control would make me more comfortable with that, with posting finds for out-of-state caches in real-time, and other stuff.

I'm not saying other people need to take advantage of any of this, just that it would be nice as an option.

Its hard to enthusiastic about souvenirs when based outside the US....or major caching country.

I get the feeling that we will see very few of them here in Africa.

That's one of the reasons I've lobbied to make souvenirs as universal as possible. The fact that I've found geocaches in three different African countries (including South Africa) might have something to do with it was well.

Its hard to enthusiastic about souvenirs when based outside the US....or major caching country.

At the very least, I suspect that every country will be assigned a souvi.

North Korea? No caches there.

Turkmenistan? It has one cache and it's never been found.

I am sure there are more.

At the very least, I suspect that every country will be assigned a souvi.

North Korea? No caches there.

Turkmenistan? It has one cache and it's never been found.

I am sure there are more.

There are actually quite a few countries without caches. I went through the drop-down list of countries awhile back and if I recall there were something like 17 countries without a cache. That doesn't mean a souvenir zone could not be established for every country and artwork created for it. As I understand it, just using the iPhone or Android app within a zone is enough to award a souvenir. So, it would be possible to get a souvenir in a country without finding a cache. Frankly, I wish that souvenirs could only be awarded when a Found It, Attended, or whatever is used for a web cam log was posted. Otherwise, one could get on a train turn on their iPhone app everytime they crossed a state line and they'd get a souvenir. If my iPhone worked at 38,000 feet I could accumulate a bunch of them in a hurry almost everytime I got on a plane. I might even get one for the North pole when I fly to China a couple of weeks.

Souvenirs. I sometimes buy them when I visit a place where I'd like a physical reminder I can take home with me. :cool:

Geocaching souvenir pixels. :o Given to me whether I want it or not just because I happen to have found a cache/attended an event/solved a puzzle/or eaten all my vegetables. Good grief. :rolleyes: For me, a "geocaching souvenir" is and always has been my memory of the cache and I don't need or want anything else. If I want a physical reminder of an event I've attended, or a geocacher I've met...I'll buy an event coin if available or I'll trade a personal pathtag with a cacher. Souvenir pixels? What's the point? :cool:

Whatever happened to just finding Tupperware in the woods at the end of a nice hike...hopefully to somewhere with a WOW factor? I'll tell you what happened, and it's all about the numbers. More accurately, it's all about the Benjamin'$. :anibad: My opinion of course...

The original geocaching.com had very few ways to make any money other than by selling memberships and selling online geoswag. One of the first perks of a membership...pocket queries. Very handy and probably directly resulted in many new memberships being sold. Another perk...bookmarks...I don't use 'em but I'm sure lots of members do. Another perk...notifications...race out for the first to find...handy if you like doing that. Another perk...oh wait...that's it. (Not exactly nothing else...but the rest is all fluff as far as I'm concerned.) I didn't buy my membership for any of these reasons...I simply wanted to support geocaching.com/Groundspeak because I like :cool: geocaching.

Years passed...more and more people learned about geocaching...and as GPS units became less expensive, more and more people joined the site. More people who weren't necessarily interested in the hiking aspect of caching (also known as "the fattening of America" :huh:), or in the "take something, leave something" trading that used to be a hallmark of caching. Instead, these new cachers started the hopelessly lame trend of the micro-cache and then, if that wasn't enough...the nano cache. Drive-by caches....unheard of 5 or 6 years ago. Now they're everywhere. And, because these new non-traditional geocachers were becoming members by paying their annual dues...nothing was done by the powers that be to stop this bastardization of the whole concept of geocaching as it originally began. All about the money.

We also had travel bugs. Another good idea by Groundspeak I think, and another way for them to make money. It's just too bad that there are far too many cachers out there who ruin this aspect of the game by taking a travel bug from the cache and then either decide to keep it, or are careless enough to lose it. :D So, Groundspeak gets the money for the tracking ID's and the tags, and then the travel bugs disappear....so more tags get sold.

Then geocoins came along. I don't know the history here, but I do expect that Groundspeak rubbed their collective hands with glee knowing that they could charge for more tracking numbers and unique icons. Again, another good way to bring in money. I'm not a big geocoin collectorBut again...cheating cachers will simply steal coins if they find them in a cache. :D

Memberships, bugs, swag, coin icons...none of these money-making activities have been a "bad thing". In fact without them, Groundspeak wouldn't be where it is today; we wouldn't have site redesigns, faster servers, iPhone and Android apps.

So where do Souvenirs/SUV's/Soovs/Souvis/Neers/Sneers/Venirs fit in? :drama: They don't. Not in my opinion anyway. But, I'm certain that Groundspeak have figured out a way to monetize them. How? No idea at this point...they're all very secretive about it. They are saying "well, it'll be easy for you to create a souvenir for your event". It's what they aren't saying that's interesting. HOW MUCH is it going to cost us to add a souvenir to an event? Think it's going to be FREE? Based on Groundspeak history I doubt it. Monetize it or it's not worth doing.

Obviously Groundspeak spent valuable programming time and effort on these new collectible pixels. I'd much rather have seen Groundspeak spend more money on fixing/enhancing the iPhone app, or adding a member-customizable "dashboard" to the website instead of the poorly thought out "quick links" at the top of the main site pages.

Souvenirs. I'll buy them from gift shops and artisans when I'm traveling.

Geocaching souvenir pixels. I can do without them. I just hope there's a way for me to turn them off entirely. :)

Your mileage may vary.

~TT~

Good grief. It's a little bit of flair on a single tab of your profile. It's not a tattoo on your forehead.

Oh noes, it's the end of caching as we know it. :rolleyes:

Where is Snoogans' tree of caching angst...?

Because it's GS IT time wasted on a feature no one asked for and likely something that may be used for revenue. There are so many more pertinent requests that have been begged for by members (see the feedback forums) but this feature gets priority. Also, yet again, GS does not offer members options - you can't customize features by switching them on/off....although GS promises that souvenirs will be an option. Why didn't they give us the option right away instead of some unknown time in the future when they eventually get around to it? GS has created this angst, which for the most part was avoidable.

Edited by Lone R

Because it's GS IT time wasted on a feature no one asked for and likely something that may be used for revenue. There are so many more pertinent requests that have been begged for by members (see the feedback forums) but this feature gets priority. Also, yet again, GS does not offer members options - you can't customize features by switching them on/off....although GS promises that souvenirs will be an option. Why didn't they give us the option right away instead of some unknown time in the future when they eventually get around to it? GS has created this angst, which for the most part was avoidable.

Still not feeling it. What game-breaking feature do you feel was put to the side in favor of Souvenirs?

Why would they want to make everything opt in or opt out? Why should they let you customize features? How many other things have cachers ever wanted to opt out of other than hide/found counts? From my point of view why should GS waste IT hours making that an option? What, because some cachers think it's important that they can't just ignore other people's numbers and how other people feel about their numbers?

Souvenirs. I sometimes buy them when I visit a place where I'd like a physical reminder I can take home with me. :cool:

Geocaching souvenir pixels. :o Given to me whether I want it or not just because I happen to have found a cache/attended an event/solved a puzzle/or eaten all my vegetables. Good grief. :rolleyes: For me, a "geocaching souvenir" is and always has been my memory of the cache and I don't need or want anything else. If I want a physical reminder of an event I've attended, or a geocacher I've met...I'll buy an event coin if available or I'll trade a personal pathtag with a cacher. Souvenir pixels? What's the point? :cool:

Whatever happened to just finding Tupperware in the woods at the end of a nice hike...hopefully to somewhere with a WOW factor? I'll tell you what happened, and it's all about the numbers. More accurately, it's all about the Benjamin'$. :anibad: My opinion of course...

The original geocaching.com had very few ways to make any money other than by selling memberships and selling online geoswag. One of the first perks of a membership...pocket queries. Very handy and probably directly resulted in many new memberships being sold. Another perk...bookmarks...I don't use 'em but I'm sure lots of members do. Another perk...notifications...race out for the first to find...handy if you like doing that. Another perk...oh wait...that's it. (Not exactly nothing else...but the rest is all fluff as far as I'm concerned.) I didn't buy my membership for any of these reasons...I simply wanted to support geocaching.com/Groundspeak because I like :cool: geocaching.

Years passed...more and more people learned about geocaching...and as GPS units became less expensive, more and more people joined the site. More people who weren't necessarily interested in the hiking aspect of caching (also known as "the fattening of America" :huh:), or in the "take something, leave something" trading that used to be a hallmark of caching. Instead, these new cachers started the hopelessly lame trend of the micro-cache and then, if that wasn't enough...the nano cache. Drive-by caches....unheard of 5 or 6 years ago. Now they're everywhere. And, because these new non-traditional geocachers were becoming members by paying their annual dues...nothing was done by the powers that be to stop this bastardization of the whole concept of geocaching as it originally began. All about the money.

We also had travel bugs. Another good idea by Groundspeak I think, and another way for them to make money. It's just too bad that there are far too many cachers out there who ruin this aspect of the game by taking a travel bug from the cache and then either decide to keep it, or are careless enough to lose it. :D So, Groundspeak gets the money for the tracking ID's and the tags, and then the travel bugs disappear....so more tags get sold.

Then geocoins came along. I don't know the history here, but I do expect that Groundspeak rubbed their collective hands with glee knowing that they could charge for more tracking numbers and unique icons. Again, another good way to bring in money. I'm not a big geocoin collectorBut again...cheating cachers will simply steal coins if they find them in a cache. :D

Memberships, bugs, swag, coin icons...none of these money-making activities have been a "bad thing". In fact without them, Groundspeak wouldn't be where it is today; we wouldn't have site redesigns, faster servers, iPhone and Android apps.

So where do Souvenirs/SUV's/Soovs/Souvis/Neers/Sneers/Venirs fit in? :drama: They don't. Not in my opinion anyway. But, I'm certain that Groundspeak have figured out a way to monetize them. How? No idea at this point...they're all very secretive about it. They are saying "well, it'll be easy for you to create a souvenir for your event". It's what they aren't saying that's interesting. HOW MUCH is it going to cost us to add a souvenir to an event? Think it's going to be FREE? Based on Groundspeak history I doubt it. Monetize it or it's not worth doing.

Obviously Groundspeak spent valuable programming time and effort on these new collectible pixels. I'd much rather have seen Groundspeak spend more money on fixing/enhancing the iPhone app, or adding a member-customizable "dashboard" to the website instead of the poorly thought out "quick links" at the top of the main site pages.

Geocaching souvenir pixels. I can do without them. I just hope there's a way for me to turn them off entirely. :)

Your mileage may vary.

~TT~

wow. There was a heck of alot of supposition and bias in that post.

Good grief. It's a little bit of flair on a single tab of your profile. It's not a tattoo on your forehead.

Oh noes, it's the end of caching as we know it. :rolleyes:

Where is Snoogans' tree of caching angst...?

Because it's GS IT time wasted on a feature no one asked for and likely something that may be used for revenue. ...

Obviously, TPTB don't see that as wasted time. Since it is thier time to prioritize, the laments that they 'wasted' time on these souvis are unimpressive.

The original geocaching.com had very few ways to make any money other than by selling memberships and selling online geoswag. One of the first perks of a membership...pocket queries. Very handy and probably directly resulted in many new memberships being sold. Another perk...bookmarks...I don't use 'em but I'm sure lots of members do. Another perk...notifications...race out for the first to find...handy if you like doing that. Another perk...oh wait...that's it. (Not exactly nothing else...but the rest is all fluff as far as I'm concerned.) I didn't buy my membership for any of these reasons...I simply wanted to support geocaching.com/Groundspeak because I like :grin: geocaching.

Your mileage may vary.

~TT~

I don't know, I kind of liked the post. :cool: I think a concern TT has that Groundspeak may charge for events to have their own souvenir. I did read on Jeremy's blog (and I'll look it up and post a link if someone wants it), that there is going to be an opt-out option. I assume on a per user basis. There's no way they can stop you from clicking on the souvenir tab on someone else's profile, if you opt-out yourself.

So (and forgive me if this has already been posted, but I didn't want to wade through five extra pages of discussion), at least some of the retroactive souvenirs are kicking in.

We got our 10-10-10 when we logged caches that day. Sometime between now and then, we were retroactively awarded the Project A.P.E. one (we found the cache back in June).

If we get one per state and one per country, eventually we're going to be swimming in these. (Thank you John Q. Taxpayer for helping to subsidize our caching travels throughout Europe!)

Bias? The hallmark of a forum post I guess. B) Wouldn't it be a dull place without our biases?

Supposition? Well of course it is! Because Groundspeak hasn't stated the details...or more likely, hasn't decided what they are yet.

Also...just my opinion...as stated...

...it's all about the numbers. More accurately, it's all about the Benjamin'$. huh.gif My opinion of course...
So where do Souvenirs/SUV's/Soovs/Souvis/Neers/Sneers/Venirs fit in? huh.gif They don't. Not in my opinion anyway.

Your mileage may vary.

:anibad:

Bias? The hallmark of a forum post I guess. B) Wouldn't it be a dull place without our biases?

Supposition? Well of course it is! Because Groundspeak hasn't stated the details...or more likely, hasn't decided what they are yet.

Also...just my opinion...as stated...

They've released a ton of details, but I guess that's not good enough for those who are looking for agendas around every corner.

They've released a ton of details, but I guess that's not good enough for those who are looking for agendas around every corner.

B) LOL! So funny.

I look for caches around every corner (and under every log). Agendas, not so much. Again..I was just stating my opinion. There weren't a "ton of details" when they began the souvenir pixels. Perhaps there are now...I wouldn't know...I'm happily ignoring them.

EDIT:::

I just want to amend my last post.

I decided to take a look at the Souvenir tab on my profile... I clicked on the "learn more" link and found this...

Souvenirs are virtual pieces of art that you can discover and display on your profile page. They are associated with a particular location and may also be bound by time.

There are two ways to discover a souvenir. The first is to log a geocache within the souvenir zone. For instance, if there were a souvenir for Hollywood, CA and you logged a geocache in Hollywood, you would be awarded the souvenir. The second is to search for a geocache using the Geocaching Application for iPhone or Android when you are within the souvenir zone. Text on your profile page will indicate whether the souvenir was discovered by logging or through an application.

If there is a time parameter to the souvenir, as there will be with those discovered at Mega-Events, the souvenir zone will expire at the end of the period. You can still obtain the souvenir by logging your attendance online.

If you have previously logged a cache in a souvenir zone, the souvenir will be added to your profile at a later date.

We hope that you enjoy discovering these unique pieces of art!

I'm not entirely sure but this seems to be the same amount of information that was there back on 10/10/10 when I was gifted a souvenir for this (important???) date. So, I'm still pretty much in the dark about how the souvenirs work...I spend very little time on the forums so I have no knowledge of any additional details provided by Groundspeak on the topic of souvenirs. If Groundspeak want to make things clearer for me (and others?) they should perhaps update their "learn more about souvenirs" page.

Edited by TrimblesTrek

:laughing: LOL! So funny.

I look for caches around every corner (and under every log). Agendas, not so much. Again..I was just stating my opinion. There weren't a "ton of details" when they began the souvenir pixels. Perhaps there are now...I wouldn't know...I'm happily ignoring them.

I got to agree with TrimblesTrek. I haven't seen a ton of details either about souvenirs and sbell111's assertion that there are a lot of details isn't going hold any credibility with me without some supporting evidence.

There *has* been a lot of speculation about souvenirs from forum participants but, at least so far, when lackeys have provided information it's been vague and sometimes flippant.

I asked for clarification on how the iPhone/Android geocaching app would work for awarding coins and the question was not answered. Instead, I got a "the 10/10/10 souvenir was a gift. Thanks for using the geocaching app" response.

I asked if virtual finds using using the mobile app could be done from ones living room, while driving around, on a train or airplane and didn't get a response.

I asked for clarification on what the policy was going to be on retroactive souvenirs; if that only included pixels for the triad caches in the pacific northwest and got a vague answer about wait to see if the infrastructure could handle it.

I made several suggestions about souvenir categories and establish souvenir zones in other countries with political boundaries.

I asked what would happen if it was determined that the GS infrastructure could *not* support a lot of souvenirs. Crickets chirping.

It seems to me that there are still a *lot* of unanswered questions, and at this point the significant majority of souvenirs are effectively available for those that happen to live within a stones throw of Groundspeak HQ.

:laughing: LOL! So funny.

I got to agree with TrimblesTrek. I haven't seen a ton of details either about souvenirs and sbell111's assertion that there are a lot of details isn't going hold any credibility with me without some supporting evidence.

There *has* been a lot of speculation about souvenirs from forum participants but, at least so far, when lackeys have provided information it's been vague and sometimes flippant.

I asked for clarification on how the iPhone/Android geocaching app would work for awarding coins and the question was not answered. Instead, I got a "the 10/10/10 souvenir was a gift. Thanks for using the geocaching app" response.

I asked if virtual finds using using the mobile app could be done from ones living room, while driving around, on a train or airplane and didn't get a response.

I asked for clarification on what the policy was going to be on retroactive souvenirs; if that only included pixels for the triad caches in the pacific northwest and got a vague answer about wait to see if the infrastructure could handle it.

I made several suggestions about souvenir categories and establish souvenir zones in other countries with political boundaries.

I asked what would happen if it was determined that the GS infrastructure could *not* support a lot of souvenirs. Crickets chirping.

It seems to me that there are still a *lot* of unanswered questions, and at this point the significant majority of souvenirs are effectively available for those that happen to live within a stones throw of Groundspeak HQ.

You keep asking questions about issues that have already been addressed trying to legelese everything rather than simply accepting the answers given and you are shocked that the answers stop coming to you. Perhaps the results you are getting speak more about you then TPTB.

I would have thought they'd have sorted out souvenirs before making them live on the site...seems to be a (really, really late to the party) knee-jerk reaction to badges and awards that are available on social networking sites like foursquare (yay, I'm the mayor of "Bob's Gas Station and Dentistry") or FaceBook (look at me! I mangled 71 virtual cats in Kitty Stomp today). But, is geocaching.com a social networking site? Are these things needed?

I think they've totally missed the mark with souvenirs. When I visit a cache the only "souvenir" that will have any meaning to me might be a photograph I've taken on the caching outing. Same thing with an event (or I may buy an event shirt or coin). If they had really wanted to join the "awards and accomplishments" fray they could have better done it with award badges. Using the cacher's stats they can easily produce "challenge" awards:

- Want a special badge in your profile because you've found 187 caches on sequential Tuesdays? They can give you a badge for that major accomplishment.

- Want a badge because you've logged caches within the ghettos of 43 major metropolitan areas? (The "avoiding-meanies-in-the-'hood" badge). There's a badge for that too.

- The list of badge-able quests and accomplishments is endless. I would be in favour of this because it should eliminate so-called "challenge caches". (I like the smiley for finding the cache...I don't need to jump through arbitrary (and often ridiculous) hoops for my find to "count" in the CO's mind.)

I don't believe they'd go for these types of awards though.

- Difficult to monetize (I suppose they could sell sponsorships for each award though)

- ENDLESS requests for lame awards and nobody to review them. (Reviewers would likely want nothing to do with vetting the award idea requests)

Anyway, a poorly-thought-out implementation of an ill-conceived idea, in an activity where the REAL award is the activity itself.

... But, is geocaching.com a social networking site?
Geocaching.com is, and always has been, a social networking site. If you do not believe this, check out any of the threads on online logging practices.
Are these things needed?
Nothing is needed beyond the basic site that was rolled out over ten years ago. Souvis are simply a bonus for people who like that sort of thing. Edited by sbell111

I'm a little unsure about what you'd like to hear from me...

Anything you want us to know! Thank you for coming in here and answering questions. :laughing:

I'm sure that the forums aren't the favorite place for Lackeys and Reviewers to hang out and I know all of you are busy, but being able to communicate with the folks who have the answers really is appreciated, it has to help everyone.

I've had 4 souvenirs show up at this point.

I actually went out and grabbed one of the "art caches" in Seattle that are supposed to give you a souvenir.

I went to the cache just to get the souvenir, so of course that's the one that hasn't shown up.

I've got 10-10-10, Ape Cache, Original Stash plaque and Groundspeak Headquarters.

Hope to see more soon.

OK, I can't go thru two more pages of this. Many moons ago, when I worked in the Magic Kingdom's Emporium, there was an oval cash wrap that was filled with: souvenirs. Back sratchers, keychains, MM rulers, all that crap.

We called it: (get ready) "souvies". I have used that term for 21 years now. I am not gonna stop.

There. Carry on. :laughing:

From what I see, veneers are mostly for Seattleistas, with an occasional crumb thrown to the rest of the world. They promised a veneer for anyone who logged an APE cache! Then only gave them to people who found one particular one. Made me feel that I'd been lied to. Oh, well. Not interested.

Isn't there only one APE cache left?

They said that they would get around to adding them retroactively, do you have reason to believe that those who logged APE caches in the past won't eventually get one?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
Isn't there only one APE cache left?

They said that they would get around to adding them retroactively, do you have reason to believe that those who logged APE caches in the past won't eventually get one?

There are two left, although the one in Brazil is a lot harder for most to get to.

The description for the APE souvenir says this:

In 2001, fourteen geocaches were placed in conjunction with 20th Century Fox to support the movie Planet of the Apes. Each cache represented a fictional story in which scientists revealed an Alternative Primate Evolution. These caches were made using specially marked ammo containers. Each cache had an original prop from the movie. Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (GC1169) is one of two Project A.P.E. caches remaining today. The other is Mission 4: Southern Bowl (GCC67) in Brazil.

However, it appears that the souvenir is only being awarded to people who found the one near Seattle.

Earlier in this thread, JYoungman clarified:

Addisonbr,

Presently the Project APE souvenir is for mission 9, to be a part of the triad. We will keep you posted if other Project APE caches receive souvenirs in the future.

I hope this helps.

Saw a fake souvenir hunter (and/or icon hunter) today when I checked my email.

The latest loggers on the Brazilian A.P.E. cache "found" it the same day they "found" the A.P.E. cache in Washington State, the cache at Lennon's Wall in Prague, and somehow went back in time to "attend" 10/10/10 events in Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Wales.

Ah, yes, and also claim to have "found" the A.P.E cache in Australia six and a half years after it went missing and was archived, "attended" a 10 Years! event nine days after it occurred, "attended" GeoWoodstock a month after that event, "attended" the GPS Adventure in Washington three months after it closed...I'm sure I could go on.

Perhaps it's time they "find" a new hobby.