Please explain the new "Souvenirs" feature

BlueGerbil

Is there any way to opt out of souvenirs? I'd like to log the 10-10-10 event I attended today, but I really don't want any stupid pictures added to my profile.

Me Too! What does this have to do with caching? Why spend time with frivolous things instead of improving the sport?

so log it tomorrow with 10-11-10

also you can just ignore the Souvenir section, its not like you have to see it every time you visit the site

That will prevent this one from posting. What happens down the road?

Ignoring them is an option but isn't an answer to the big questions. With all the feature requests, ideas, and site issues that people have been clamoring for why invest resources in these pretty, yet basically meaningless, pictures? I'm not trying to be a rabble-rouser. I'm just a confused and disappointed customer.

well i know, i agree with you and i expressed my concerns about the lack of "attention" but what can we do?

except for complaining here or in the Feedback section and most of it falling into deaf ears, and getting nasty warnings about behaving there's not much we can do, is it?

tbh i am at the point where i don't care anymore, they can make the site pink if they wish, as long as they keep the core of the geocaching the same

Is there any way to opt out of souvenirs? I'd like to log the 10-10-10 event I attended today, but I really don't want any stupid pictures added to my profile.
All you have to do is not click on the souvi tab.
I don't see the win when it is at the expense of all the things that customers have been ask for or maintaining the site functionality. But yes, I do understand the "shiny item" theory. It is one way to define the word "distraction".
You're actually upset because TPTB added something that other people like before something that you wanted? Really? Edited by sbell111

I don't get the angst. I don't see myself ever wanting to go out of my way to "earn" a souvenir, but they are inoffensive enough.

I do hope they aren't going to let induhviduals create these things at will... that way lies madness. It would be kind of cool, though, if local/regional organizations could create them.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that this is something just put together in the last month and thrown out there.
I believe you would be correct; this isn't the development equivalent of a park-n-grab. It's been in the works since at least 2009.

This is a blast message that was sent to a mailing list I subscribe to. There is nothing in the email that asks that it be kept confidential, and it was sent to a large number of regional geocachers, so I'm operating under the assumption that it's public enough to represent here. Hopefully it will answer some of the questions that people have. Other than a reviewer issuing a forum guidelines warning and lackey locking and then unlocking this thread I haven't seen any official participation here by Groundspeak folks, so I think that this information from the frog's mouth might allay some of the confusion.

If Groundspeak would rather this info be redacted, please feel free to ping me and I'd be happy to edit it out.

[outdated information deleted]

Editing, as the posts by Groundspeak folks that have been made since this was originally posted this morning show that some of the details have changed a bit in the last few months. Groundspeak very kindly asked that I make some changes to cut down on confusion; I figured the easiest thing would be to clip it entirely and point to the new Groundspeak posts that have shown up in the meantime:

Some explanation for what souvenirs are, by JYoungman:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4497526

Further explanation by Jeremy:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4497532

One of the main differences is that originally outside artists were being solicited to create souvenir designs, a task which for now is being handled in-house by Groundspeak folks.

Edited by addisonbr

Hello everyone!

I'd like to take this opportunity to help clarify some of the questions people have about souvenirs. Hopefully this will answer most of your questions.

What is a souvenir?

A souvenir is a piece of art, with some associated text, that users receive for caching, and can display on their profiles as well as in the iPhone and Android apps.

How do you get one?

1. One way is to do a search from either the iPhone or Android app while within the zone of the souvenir, during the time that it is active.

2. Another is by logging a cache within the zone of the souvenir, during the time that it is active.

3. It should be noted that some souvenirs, such as the 10/10/10 souvenir, do not have a physical zone and can therefore only be acquired via logging a cache.

Will any log type get me a souvenir?

No. Only a log of Found It, Attended (for an event), or Picture Taken (for web cam cache) will result in the awarding of a souvenir.

Are souvenirs only available for a limited time?

Some are. For example, souvenirs for Mega Events can only be acquired during the duration of that Mega Event. Other souvenirs can be acquired indefinitely after they are released.

What if I have already been to a location that has a souvenir associated with it?

We're working on a solution for being able to retroactively award people souvenirs for going to places and logging caches that now have souvenirs with no end date associated with them.

Complaining about something and you have no idea what it is about?!?!? Am I the only one that thinks we should at least wait till the program is released before the usual 'er I mean complaints begin? - wow!

What isn't out? This is a feature on the website now. There is a tab on your public profile that already has a souvenir listed to it.

Can I repost the list now?

if Miss Jenn says I can, I will post the list. Not till then so quit asking me people.

Please do not post the list.

Thanks!

There's really no point in posting the list since a lot of them are test souvenirs and would give you a false understanding of the souvenirs that will be listed. The ones that will become active are the 50 states in the US (and Washington DC), all the states in Germany, many countries in Europe, provinces in Canada, etc. There are souvenirs at the Trifecta (our office, original cache location, Project APE cache), some test ones near our office, GeoWoodstock event, 10th anniversary event, Mega Scotland, 10-10-10. We're also testing out the idea of interesting promotions like GeoCRUSH.

How will they be created? We'll be opening a new UserVoice forum where users can submit ideas and vote on them so we can get regions to rally around new ideas for souvenirs. Our art team will then design a souvenir for the region, or look at outside designers to come up with an appropriate design.

Keep in mind we're starting slow to make sure that our infrastructure can handle a bunch of souvenirs before we go crazy with them.

To answer another question, souvenirs will be awarded retroactively, so don't go re-posting logs to get them now (though I do appreciate the enthusiasm).

This is decidedly *not* a replacement for virtuals. The solution for virtuals is a much more complicated idea than awarding users souvenirs for being in a location so will take longer to develop. We do have a plan for virtuals and will be working on small, iterative steps to release a concept and test it with the geocaching community. From past experience it makes more sense to release early and often instead of the "waterfall" approach of throwing a lot into a project and releasing late.

For those who think that we don't have a total plan for souvenirs, you are absolutely right. We don't think we have all the answers and we're more than happy to listen to feedback. So feel free to help us develop souvenirs.

I do know we won't be calling them souvis though.

if Miss Jenn says I can, I will post the list. Not till then so quit asking me people.

Thanks!

There's really no point in posting the list since a lot of them are test souvenirs and would give you a false understanding of the souvenirs that will be listed. The ones that will become active are the 50 states in the US (and Washington DC), all the states in Germany, many countries in Europe, provinces in Canada, etc. There are souvenirs at the Trifecta (our office, original cache location, Project APE cache), some test ones near our office, GeoWoodstock event, 10th anniversary event, Mega Scotland, 10-10-10. We're also testing out the idea of interesting promotions like GeoCRUSH.

How will they be created? We'll be opening a new UserVoice forum where users can submit ideas and vote on them so we can get regions to rally around new ideas for souvenirs. Our art team will then design a souvenir for the region, or look at outside designers to come up with an appropriate design.

Keep in mind we're starting slow to make sure that our infrastructure can handle a bunch of souvenirs before we go crazy with them.

To answer another question, souvenirs will be awarded retroactively, so don't go re-posting logs to get them now (though I do appreciate the enthusiasm).

This is decidedly *not* a replacement for virtuals. The solution for virtuals is a much more complicated idea than awarding users souvenirs for being in a location so will take longer to develop. We do have a plan for virtuals and will be working on small, iterative steps to release a concept and test it with the geocaching community. From past experience it makes more sense to release early and often instead of the "waterfall" approach of throwing a lot into a project and releasing late.

For those who think that we don't have a total plan for souvenirs, you are absolutely right. We don't think we have all the answers and we're more than happy to listen to feedback. So feel free to help us develop souvenirs.

Thanks for sharing a bit of information. As a customer you have no idea how much it is appreciated. Perhaps if this approach had been perused at the outset some of the frustration could have been avoided.

Thank you especially for this! :lol:

Thanks for sharing a bit of information. As a customer you have no idea how much it is appreciated. Perhaps if this approach had been perused at the outset some of the frustration could have been avoided.
I doubt it. History has shown that some people will bellyache regardless of how much communication there has been.

thanks! much appreciated

would have been easier if a certain moderator here would have contacted you and asked that you share some thoughts with us instead of sending nasty forum warnings calling people disrespectful

I doubt it. History has shown that some people will bellyache regardless of how much communication there has been.

Usually I tend to jump in sooner but I was out last week and unable to get involved. Folks in the office weren't sure what to explain and what not to, though I'm more than happy to be more transparent about the project.

I'm not sure what you mean by "perused at the outset" though. If you mean "be more responsive" then sure. We're always trying to be more proactive in responding. However I wouldn't expect us to be in war room mode when we release non-critical features like souvenirs.

Thank goodness for no souvis. Really is that hard to use the entire word whilst typing?

Anyhow, my hope for these things is that it's not just centered around metropolitan areas. I'm not going to pursue getting these. If it happens it happens and I'm not going to keep a body county of souvenirs I have and don't have. But if it's centered around large events or metropolitan events I will likely be even less interested.

Usually I tend to jump in sooner but I was out last week and unable to get involved. Folks in the office weren't sure what to explain and what not to, though I'm more than happy to be more transparent about the project.

I'm not sure what you mean by "perused at the outset" though. If you mean "be more responsive" then sure. We're always trying to be more proactive in responding. However I wouldn't expect us to be in war room mode when we release non-critical features like souvenirs.

Actually I meant to type pursued. I suspect I wasn't paying close enough attention to what spell check was recommending. Oops.

Some such statement at the beginning instead of the secrecy and thread locks would have kept the angst level down.

VEENERS IT IS THEN!! :lol:

Gawd no. That one is just as bad. And not the good kinda bad either, mind you.

Well, there goes that theory... :lol:

Yeah, what he said. Only without the "stupid" part. I don't mind the souvenirs, but I don't really want to participate in that part of the game.

I have zero interest in the things. Apparently I received one yesterday for attending an event. No big deal, it appears under a tab in my profile that I never have to look at again if I don't want to.

Up until last month when the local CT forum closed, users of the site could earn "medals." To earn one, cachers would have to do they'd do certain caches. Souvenirs seem similar, yet different.

To get a medal in the CT forums, you'd have to do things like find 75 puzzle caches or 75 "lonely" caches, caches that hadn't been found in the past 2 months. You could get one for finding 20 of the 25 caches on the highest peaks in CT or doing 35 of the water/boat caches in the state. There were about 50 different medals available.

People generally liked them because they encouraged people to go out and look for caches that they might not normally do. If someone wanted the lonely medal, people would have to do the caches that don't get found much, which were often the longer, harder hikes in the woods or multis.

The whole idea of the lonely medal was to get people to go find caches that would normally sit, unfound, for months on end. It worked, and owners were happy because their caches would get finds more often than normal.

In a way the souvenirs are like this because they might encourage people to attend and event they were on the fence about or go caching in a nearby county or state knowing they could get one.

I like that they're on their own tab. That way if someone's not interested, they can just ignore them and not see them.

its the lazy generation that has a sickening need for shortening everything, next thing we'll know they going to end up being called SUV's B)

We did a cache today where a previous finder said it was pretty exposed so they covered it with a UPS. We never did come up with up with anything that made sense for that shortcut. :lol:

its the lazy generation that has a sickening need for shortening everything, next thing we'll know they going to end up being called SUV's B)

We did a cache today where a previous finder said it was pretty exposed so they covered it with a UPS. We never did come up with up with anything that made sense for that shortcut. :lol:

No brown vans parked at GZ?

unnatural pile of sticks?

its the lazy generation that has a sickening need for shortening everything, next thing we'll know they going to end up being called SUV's :)

We did a cache today where a previous finder said it was pretty exposed so they covered it with a UPS. We never did come up with up with anything that made sense for that shortcut. B)

acronyms are common, the shortening of words is what's driving me nuts :lol:

ok, what about retracting souvenirs then? if i go and log a cache that gets me a souvenir and then delete the log (or it gets deleted by CO etc), will i still keep the souvenir? if so, why?

You keep it now but we plan to retract them in future releases. But really, why would you do this?

We'll also support the idea where you can hide individual souvenirs if you don't want to see them (or others to see them).

Um, so I shouldn't have been trading packages out of that van that was parked across the street this morning? I signed the log book on the dashboard.

its the lazy generation that has a sickening need for shortening everything, next thing we'll know they going to end up being called SUV's :)

We did a cache today where a previous finder said it was pretty exposed so they covered it with a UPS. We never did come up with up with anything that made sense for that shortcut. B)

It's common in some other countries. In Australia, they shorten everything, it seems (and add "ie/s"). Sunnies, Mozzies, Nappies, Brekkie, Bickie (sp), Salties, etc. :D

It's common in some other countries. In Australia, they shorten everything, it seems (and add "ie/s"). Sunnies, Mozzies, Nappies, Brekkie, Bickie (sp), Salties, etc. :D

maybe that's where apple got their ideas from? apps... brrrrrr, how i hate that word......

No brown van. It was on top of a mountain, 3 miles from any road. :)

I think it's probably unnatural/unusual pile of sticks.

Souvenirs are just geo-achievements.

Achievements are popular these days in all sorts of things, from social networking site games to FourSquare to Starcraft 2. A local bank even has some billboard adds referencing Achievements.

Besides being the cool, popular thing right now this feature partially answers the many requests for additional official stats and official integration of challenges (as in challenge caches). Using this Souvenirs system, it could set up so if you find a cache in every county in a state you get a badge for it. (You can still go find the appropriate Challenge Cache if you want.)

They're in their own tab on your Profile so you can ignore them if you hate them. Or complain on the Feedback forums.

I, for one, am pleased with the new feature and was pleasantly surprised to have a notification pop up when I logged the 10-10-10 event I attended.

Hmm.... can I ask something? If there is a souvenir zone near us... but we already found all the caches there?? do we get a souvenir or not??

Ditto that question. 'specially since I was JUST in Hollywood two weekends ago stalking rockstars, getting a new tattoo, and caching all the way...

Nytshaed

Not really needing more 'fluff' in her life.

Yes. TPTB have stated that these will be made retroactive to cover those already cached zones and geocaches. It's just not part of the initial rollout.

Now I know what this reminds me of.

Quests and Levels on Super Poke Pets, or Neopets....

Nytshaed

Edited by Nytshaed

In a way the souvenirs are like this because they might encourage people to attend and event they were on the fence about or go caching in a nearby county or state knowing they could get one.

I like that they're on their own tab. That way if someone's not interested, they can just ignore them and not see them.

I guess it worked on me! :lol: I didn't feel particularly motivated to go out and find a cache on 10-10-10 just to be part of breaking a record. But the chance of getting a souvi--well, that DID motivate me to find and log a quick P&G, which I normally wouldn't do. So it surprises me that I would feel this way, but I like the idea of them!

Hmm.... can I ask something? If there is a souvenir zone near us... but we already found all the caches there?? do we get a souvenir or not??

Ditto that question. 'specially since I was JUST in Hollywood two weekends ago stalking rockstars, getting a new tattoo, and caching all the way...

Nytshaed

Not really needing more 'fluff' in her life.

Read all the information folks. They have stated that they will eventually start giving them out retroactively. That means that you will get your pretty pictures for past finds. It just may take a while.

Achievements are popular these days in all sorts of things, from social networking site games to FourSquare to Starcraft 2. A local bank even has some billboard adds referencing Achievements.

Exactly why some of us aren't all that fond of them. Groundspeak seems, once again, to be trying to follow "the next big trend" instead of staying true to the userbase that built them in the first place. Friends. Twitter. Blogging. Etc.

OK, in fairness, I can understand the need to feel that they must keep up or be left behind, but for many of us, its changing the game from something mostly done outdoors, to something mostly done behind a computer. If I wanted to do that, I would have a Facebook account, a Twitter account, and so-on instead of coming here.

Personally, I would rather see some of the existing features made better before adding new features (remember bookmarks? maps that actually set filters for your PQs?). But that's just me. Or, is it?

Exactly why some of us aren't all that fond of them. Groundspeak seems, once again, to be trying to follow "the next big trend" instead of staying true to the userbase that built them in the first place. Friends. Twitter. Blogging. Etc.

OK, in fairness, I can understand the need to feel that they must keep up or be left behind, but for many of us, its changing the game from something mostly done outdoors, to something mostly done behind a computer. If I wanted to do that, I would have a Facebook account, a Twitter account, and so-on instead of coming here.

Personally, I would rather see some of the existing features made better before adding new features (remember bookmarks? maps that actually set filters for your PQs?). But that's just me. Or, is it?

No, it isn't just you. It is what I've been trying to say. When I started this was about the "Tupperware in the woods". Now it seems to be becoming another "social network. Oh, and we also find hidden stuff".

Amen. I don't need Souvenirs to motivate me to cache. I had no idea of it's existence until another cacher told me to go look at my profile today to see the new "present" for logging caches on 10-10-10. I found caches yesterday just because I am trying for a consecutive streak, and to help with the Record setting.

Edited by Nytshaed

Thanks!

Ok that's the official word.

Please don't contact me about the list I discovered.

Id like to thank GS people from finally breaking their silence on soovs.

Any way you can do the same thing for virtuals?

ok, what about retracting souvenirs then? if i go and log a cache that gets me a souvenir and then delete the log (or it gets deleted by CO etc), will i still keep the souvenir? if so, why?

You keep it now but we plan to retract them in future releases. But really, why would you do this?

Happened to me this Sunday: I was logging my Saturday finds, forgot to edit the date, and got a large colorful reminder :P

I edited the date but the souvenir remains in my profile - ok, so I won't care about it and will wait for a cleanup in the future.

It's not just you. If I wanted to do those gather up virtual images things I would have any number of applications on my phone or be more engaged in stuff on my facebook account. I do geocaching for the geocaching part of it. I go out into the woods find a little container come back and log it.

I would have liked to see an actual stat tracker instead of little pictures if anything. I don't see this as much if any of a replacement for tracking stats, especially when they have them for events or specific caches (which obviously has created quite the debacle on one of those caches).

I'd love to see the base game's features enhanced or working in general instead of ancillary games being added here.

Thanks!

Thanks for that...

There are a couple of things that I would like to see clarified, and have some ideas that might improve the idea.

It's still unclear to me exactly how souvenirs are awarded when the iPhone/Android app is used. I *tried* searching the local area with my iPhone early Sunday morning, and although I got an error message back that there was a communication error with the server...try again, it awarded a souvenir. Perhaps the communication error is the equivalent to the time out message we see in the forums when the request is handled, but something goes wrong when processing a response, but the idea that one can find a souvenir from ones living room *if* you happen to own a specific type of phone and using a specific app seems a bit inequitable. Personally, even though I have the official geocaching app on my iPhone I would prefer to see souvenirs awarded only after posting a found it/attended log (or whatever the log is for a webcam cache).

It looks like that description of planned souvenir zones matches up with the list that was prematurely posted here and it's good to see zones for every state and some areas in other countries. Since many countries are split up with regional/political boundaries it would be nice to see this expanded. For example, a few months ago I was in the Languedoc region in France, at the end of the month I'll be in Beijing, China, a country made up of 23 provinces, and I'll be going to Costa Rica in the Spring where I'll visit the San Jose and Puntarenas provinces. I would much prefer to see souvenirs for provinces and states in various countries rather than a dozen zones close to GS headquarters. I realized that the trifecta is a popular destination but there seems to be a disproportionate number of souvenirs available for those that have the luxury of living in the pacific northwest. IMHO, souvenirs should be made as equitable as possible.

It seems that there are several categories of souvenirs...why not specify some specific categories (states, events, significant geocaching issues. As much as I'm not about the numbers, 100 and 1000 find milestone souvenirs would probably be appreciated by those achieving those goals.

I also like the idea of "regular" geocachers being able to submit artwork for a zone they think may be worthy of inclusion. Perhaps the artistic among us might create some artwork depicting some of the historical features in Rome (in the Lazio region of Italy) and some form based submission process (not that dissimilar to submitting a cache for review) would allow regular cachers to highlight some zones worthy for inclusion as a souvenir.

In any case, although I find some of the social media app icons a bit cheesy I think this adds a nice little subgame to geocaching especially if the focus is on collecting "rare" souvenirs rather than "itsnotaboutsouvenirnumbers".