Please explain the new "Souvenirs" feature

BlueGerbil

I acquired my first souvenir yesterday and thought a few in this forum topic might be curious about it. I got the souvenir when I logged the puzzle cache GC2G6PN. The posted, and final coordinates, for this cache are within a mile or so of Groundspeak HQ. Now I have found dozens, perhaps hundreds, of caches in the vicinity in the past. I have found several of the caches that Moun10bike has and for which you see the souvenirs on his profile page .... but I don't have those yet. So, at present, it appears that we non-lackeys get these few available souvenirs only with a new log.

cheers

-fish

I acquired my first souvenir yesterday and thought a few in this forum topic might be curious about it. I got the souvenir when I logged the puzzle cache GC2G6PN. The posted, and final coordinates, for this cache are within a mile or so of Groundspeak HQ. Now I have found dozens, perhaps hundreds, of caches in the vicinity in the past. I have found several of the caches that Moun10bike has and for which you see the souvenirs on his profile page .... but I don't have those yet. So, at present, it appears that we non-lackeys get these few available souvenirs only with a new log.

cheers

-fish

Interesting, but as there is a "Texas" souvenir, and I've logged many caches since the site upgrade, and still my souvenir page is empty.... :blink:

cheers

-fish

Interesting, but as there is a "Texas" souvenir, and I've logged many caches since the site upgrade, and still my souvenir page is empty.... :signalviolin:

I think it's a rolling rollout. Not all the switches have been flipped.

I wonder if this is going to lead to Groundspeak having cache statistics.

that would sure make GSAK VERRWY unhappy

They already have indicated that they will be doing statistics ... some time. I will go out on a limb and opine that what GS will offer will pale in comparison to what FSG offers. I will be years before they even come close, after all FSG has been evolving for years already.

Well, here is something very interesting that I just discovered. I noticed that a few of the people in this area had gotten an artsCrush souvenir (artsCrush is a series of 20 temporary caches being placed at museums in the Puget Sound area). I had FTF'ed the first of these caches when it was placed 4 days ago. But I did not have the artsCrush souvenir. So, I deleted my log and entered a new one (same data, same original text) and .. I now have the artsCrush souvenir.

But it gets better. I had found the Washington state APE cache back in September 2005. So .. I deleted that log, copied the text to a new log using my original found date and ... I now have the APE souvenir. I imagine they'll fix this bug soon but in the meantime ... I think only Moun10bike and myself have the APE souvenir. That'll change soon.

cheers

- fish

Edited by fishiam

Well, here is something very interesting that I just discovered. I noticed that a few of the people in this area had gotten an artsCrush souvenir (artsCrush is a series of 20 temporary caches being placed at museums in the Puget Sound area). I had FTF'ed the first of these caches when it was placed 4 days ago. But I did not have the artsCrush souvenir. So, I deleted my log and entered a new one (same data, same original text) and .. I now have the artsCrush souvenir.

But it gets better. I had found the Washington state APE cache back in September 2005. So .. I deleted that log, copied the text to a new log using my original found date and ... I now have the APE souvenir. I imagine they'll fix this bug soon but in the meantime ... I think only Moun10bike and myself have the APE souvenir. That'll change soon.

cheers

- fish

I guess that you missed where it was stated that these will be made retroactive at a future date.

cheers

-fish

Interesting, but as there is a "Texas" souvenir, and I've logged many caches since the site upgrade, and still my souvenir page is empty.... :signalviolin:

So what you're saying is that, at least at this point, the only geocachers that can benefit from the new souvenir features are those that live within close proximity to Groundspeak HQ?

I wish GS would try to be a little more equitable with features that they're rolling out.

So what you're saying is that, at least at this point, the only geocachers that can benefit from the new souvenir features are those that live within close proximity to Groundspeak HQ?

I wish GS would try to be a little more equitable with features that they're rolling out.

Looks like there is at least one for every state.

I imagine it will take some time to get artwork and guidlines up and running to establish new ones. They just started with the easy ones.

cheers

- fish

I guess that you missed where it was stated that these will be made retroactive at a future date.

It was indeed a guess and incorrect one at that. I was taking the liberty of pointing out a method of acquiring a Souvenir in advance of the retrospective application.

cheers

- fish

It was indeed a guess and incorrect one at that. I was taking the liberty of pointing out a method of acquiring a Souvenir in advance of the retrospective application.
In that case, I fail to see what the 'bug' is that you were referring to.

cheers

-fish

You're being a little overly critical, aren't you?

I assume that what is going on is that they initially implemented souvis in a small test area close to home using just a few people. That is why they are concentrated near the lillypad and moun10bike has souvis that other recent cachers of the area do not. The test apparently works, so they are rolling out souvis for the rest of us. There is no reason to deactivate the zones that were used in the test. Given this, it is natural for their to be more active zones near the lillypad and a few people with more souvis than others, even if they both cached in the same zones during the test period.

Edited by sbell111

Hi folks.

A few of you clever ones found something that is currently in the testing phases here at Groundspeak. Oops - you weren't supposed to see that big list that was posted earlier. :signalviolin::mmraspberry:

If you could keep it under your hats and not share about it any more than you already have, that would be very much appreciated.

I am closing this thread for the time being. Please do not start a new thread about the same topic.

Thanks very much!

So after reading the discussion logs about the souvenir's because we got one for caching on 10-10-2010. :) Will they be going back and doing the ones past like the Lost & Found Celebration since we did travel to Seattle for GW 8 and to see Groundspeak building, ape cache etc. all the way from Florida. :) Or do we have to do like one poster said and delete the log and recreate it to get it to work? :) We like the idea about them, but also agree that we liked the virtuals too and miss creating them. :laughing: Oh well, we will bend to the Groundspeak team since they are the keymasters. Hope you get it all worked out. Thanks! :cool:

Will they be going back and doing the ones past like the Lost & Found Celebration since we did travel to Seattle for GW 8 and to see Groundspeak building, ape cache etc. all the way from Florida.

For the last time, yes.

Eventually.

Read the WHOLE tread people.

if Miss Jenn says I can, I will post the list. Not till then so quit asking me people.

:):):cool:

We just got our first Souvenir!

For attending a 10-10-10 event - neat!

Thanks, Signal :)

MrsB

Odd... I attended a 10-10-10 event today, and I'm still seeing nothing on that tab.

Dude-you have to post your 'attended' log. Just prancing around in here saying you attended one won't get you a souvenir, not even a post card. :laughing:

MrsB

Odd... I attended a 10-10-10 event today, and I'm still seeing nothing on that tab.

Dude-you have to post your 'attended' log. Just prancing around in here saying you attended one won't get you a souvenir, not even a post card. :laughing:

Well, that's odd! I thought I did! Thanks for letting me know. (makes me wonder how many times I've done that in the past!)

Oldcitysovicopy-1.jpg

pictures are not mine but all of the pictures are licensed under creative commons, look at the websites, they both tell you that you are allowed to adapt/remix the work. I made sure of this, I actually threw away quite a few really good pictures because they were copyrighted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoonabar/154349659/

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Betsyrosshouse.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ind...e_hall_1_bs.jpg

Edited by Coldgears

Is there any way to opt out of souvenirs? I'd like to log the 10-10-10 event I attended today, but I really don't want any stupid pictures added to my profile.

I didn't attend an event or even go caching today. I don't go caching because Groundspeak tells me to or even because they put some hokey picture on my profile for doing so. If they were to stop posting my find count today it would not make an iota of difference whether or not I go geocaching. I do not have any locationless finds even though I could have logged some way back. I didn't because they didn't seem like caches. (I have posted waymarks in a few different categories). If others want to worship icons or numbers that is up to them. Whatever Groundspeak chooses to put on my profile is their choice. I will continue to cache when and where I choose to cache.

cheers

- fish

So those of us who have found the APE cache, original stash and Groundspeak HQ will get those souvenirs at some point in time, or do we have to visit those places again to log them? I'm confused... :)

cheers

- fish

So those of us who have found the APE cache, original stash and Groundspeak HQ will get those souvenirs at some point in time, or do we have to visit those places again to log them? I'm confused... :)

Oh okay... I suppose that is what this means:

"If you have previously logged a cache in a souvenir zone, the souvenir will be added to your profile at a later date."

Okay, I get it now. Duhrr... :laughing:

Is there any way to opt out of souvenirs? I'd like to log the 10-10-10 event I attended today, but I really don't want any stupid pictures added to my profile.

Me Too! What does this have to do with caching? Why spend time with frivolous things instead of improving the sport?

so log it tomorrow with 10-11-10

also you can just ignore the Souvenir section, its not like you have to see it every time you visit the site

Me Too! What does this have to do with caching? Why spend time with frivolous things instead of improving the sport?

also you can just ignore the Souvenir section, its not like you have to see it every time you visit the site

That will prevent this one from posting. What happens down the road?

Ignoring them is an option but isn't an answer to the big questions. With all the feature requests, ideas, and site issues that people have been clamoring for why invest resources in these pretty, yet basically meaningless, pictures? I'm not trying to be a rabble-rouser. I'm just a confused and disappointed customer.

That will prevent this one from posting. What happens down the road?

Ignoring them is an option but isn't an answer to the big questions. With all the feature requests, ideas, and site issues that people have been clamoring for why invest resources in these pretty, yet basically meaningless, pictures? I'm not trying to be a rabble-rouser. I'm just a confused and disappointed customer.

GOF stated my point better than I did. Some of us fear Groundspeak is getting away from what caching is. They seem to be getting more interested in fluff.

As for logging on the 11th, I wanted to log a cache today for two reasons, (1) I like to keep my personnel caching record accurate, and (2) I wanted to help set the record. I do like things that display achievement. Setting a record shows the growth. Someone in another thread mentioned the idea of taking Challenge caches (like the Delormes or Well Rounded) away from individual COs and making it a badge Groundspeak bestows, thus opening those up to others who don;t have them in their area or solving other issues that arise from each others interpretation. If they turned the Souvenir area into that, I would agree with it more. I got a picture because I did the same thing I did yesterday, logged a cache, big deal. I got a picture because I found 81 caches, 1 from every county in TN or every D/T combo, now that would mean something. I won't even bother looking at another cachers Souvenir tab, but if it was an Achievement tab I would look at it and be happy for them for what they have accomplished.

I like 'em.

People like pretty pictures, look at how many in this thread are asking how they can submit one. Free artistic talent + customers feeling "connected" + visually pleasing content = win.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that this is something just put together in the last month and thrown out there. It will obviously be pretty resource intensive & I reckon they know that, seeing as how they have to know how big the hit from uploaded pics to logs, cache pages, TB pages & etc is. And probably a relative drop in the bucket compared to those pictures, to boot.

I'm just glad it's not a "wunderphone app only" feature.

If they actually call them souvis I'll pass, though.

I didn't attend an event or even go caching today. I don't go caching because Groundspeak tells me to or even because they put some hokey picture on my profile for doing so. If they were to stop posting my find count today it would not make an iota of difference whether or not I go geocaching. I do not have any locationless finds even though I could have logged some way back. I didn't because they didn't seem like caches. (I have posted waymarks in a few different categories). If others want to worship icons or numbers that is up to them. Whatever Groundspeak chooses to put on my profile is their choice. I will continue to cache when and where I choose to cache.

Yeah, you're just mad because you didn't get one.

Yeah, what he said. Only without the "stupid" part. I don't mind the souvenirs, but I don't really want to participate in that part of the game.

Yeah, what he said. Only without the "stupid" part. I don't mind the souvenirs, but I don't really want to participate in that part of the game.

I have zero interest in the things. Apparently I received one yesterday for attending an event. No big deal, it appears under a tab in my profile that I never have to look at again if I don't want to.

MrsB

I got one yesterday morning before I attended an event. I tried searching for local caches with the geocaching app but got a "Communication Error". I also brought up the "Log Your Visit" form from the regular site but didn't submit a log. The souvenir appeared in my profile shortly after. I have no idea what actually triggered it, but I eventually did attend the event and posted an attended log as well as one other find yesterday so I'm "legit".

If a souvenir can be found merely by searching an area with the iPhone/Android app, since I'm going to be flying from NY to Beijing in about three weeks I wonder if I could keep hitting "Search for Nearest Caches" (assuming my GPS in my phone worked at 38,000') and accumulate a souvenir for every region I flew over.

As far as the list goes; Every souvenir has a unique ID. The one I got yesterday can be referenced with the url

http://www.geocaching.com/souvenir/default.aspx?id=155

, so the souvenir id is 155. Just plug a number starting at 1 and keep incrementing and you'll produce your own list.

It looks like the site was changed since the earlier list was posted. Entering an id for which artwork has not been created now returns an error page which indicates that an incorrect value was entered in the query string. The earlier list posted may have included ids which have been reserved for specific zones (like all of the U.S. States) but unless they're active you're only going to get an error page.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

No offense, but your "functional" gripes seem to be forum related, not site related. There is a difference.

From the feedback site.

Forums

1. Geocaching for Android (66)

2. Geocaching for iPhone (80)

3. Geocaching.com (450)

4. Report a problem (95)

Yes, it would be nice if they did what they promised years ago and fix the forums. But that is just one issue.

Considering that I also logged a recent power run through 4 states and di not recieve any other badges I think the 10/10 one is the only one active as of now. I'm sure more will continue to roll out in the coming weeks and months. Once they roll out I bet there will be some lag before they rectroactivly add them to others profiles.

Does this add any excitement? Maybe a little