Dawning Hope 2010

GregsonVaux

All invoices, both domestic and international, have been sent. Please tell me if you did not receive one.

For those who have not placed an order, you are still welcome to do so. Since everyone who wanted a Darkest Before Dawn edition has now been invoiced, restrictions on the number ordered have been lifted.

payment sent :grin:

the two-tone with gold and copper is simply sublime!

Thanks!

I chose the edition name out of all the various lunar seas, because I figured that there wouldn't be a better metal combination than copper and gold, very warm, fiery, and royal. It turned out even better than I had hoped.

Received an email the coins where on the way to my postbox. But it will take a few days before the cross the big ocean, so I'll have to be patient to see them in hand.

I don't rest very easily until orders have been shipped, so all of the packages for which I received payment, domestic and international, were sent out last night. Seventy-five percent of all of the invoices have been paid, which is pretty good being that it has been less than 24 hours since I sent them out.

Edited by GregsonVaux

I just received the last two payments and now all of the orders have been shipped. Thanks to everyone for sending your payments quickly. I am honored that 100% of the people that placed reservations followed through with their orders.

Since I will be selling coins at the Geocoinfest in October, I ordered plenty of extra coins. This means that anyone who still wants to place an order is welcome to now by e-mail.

Got the 2 new versions of Dawning Hope and they're both *really* nice. Thanks GregsonVaux!

If you ever do more versions, I'd love to see the copper coin also done with the same finishing/textures as the Darkest Before Dawn... the contrast in finishes on that one is awesome.

Thanks also for the super-fast shipping!

Got the 2 new versions of Dawning Hope and they're both *really* nice. Thanks GregsonVaux!

If you ever do more versions, I'd love to see the copper coin also done with the same finishing/textures as the Darkest Before Dawn... the contrast in finishes on that one is awesome.

Thanks also for the super-fast shipping!

Thanks for the feedback. I also like the contrast provided by the sandblasting and I did not expect it to turn out so well. I can easily see using it again for future editions and designs. Speaking of future designs, I have more in the pipeline, but getting them produced is surprisingly time consuming.

Still waiting on my order. I hope it didn't get lost. I only live a few states away from GV and EyeD10t lives in the same area and got his days ago. :(

I almost always ship on the same day that I receive payment, so I would expect you to receive your package soon. EyeD10T received his four days ago, which is not such a large difference. Mail sometimes just takes a long time and I really do not know why. If you still have not received anything after another week, please contact me and we will work something out.

Update: I checked my records and I mailed your package on April 12, which is a long time. However, mail is just sometimes slow. After a week, please send me an e-mail. Also please tell me if it comes before then so I can know to put this issue to rest.

Edited by GregsonVaux

I really like the front side, it's very Vanelle-ish in design and that's a compliment :)

tsun

Thanks, I'm very honored. Uhhh . . . who or what is Vanelle? I looked up the name and came up with an actress who stared in "See the Dead". Anyway, I am glad that it embodies the spirit of Vanelle.

My Darkest Before Dawn coin arrived the other day. Very cool looking, great job! Any previews of your other upcoming coins?

Thanks!

There are a few in the pipeline. I have never inserted a link before so I am not sure that this will work.

"Job 28 - God of Science" is coming along and I believe that samples are currently being made.

Job 28 - God of Science

"Luna 2011" is also moving forward. I just reviewed some artwork sent by the mint and I am hoping to approve the blueprint for the dies soon.

Luna 2011

"Dwarven Treasure" is currently on hold. The mint was unable to get the artwork right. So I have switched to a different software that the mint can open. I liked using Inkscape for my vector designs, but the mint was not compatible with it, so I switched to CorelDraw, which they can open. I am in the laborious process of moving all of the images from Inkscape to CorelDraw. I could have gone with what the mint wanted, but it would have been a horrible coin.

Dwarven Treasure

I am in the process of making a smaller and cheaper version of "Dawning Hope", which I intend to call "Dawning Hope Traveler" It will be similar to Dawning Hope, but will have enough changes that it will definitely be different. Most importantly, I want it to be inexpensive, so that it will be more likely to travel in caches. Since you ask, maybe I will create a thread for it soon. It will be a risk in that people might think it is too similar to its bigger and older sibling.

I really like the front side, it's very Vanelle-ish in design and that's a compliment :)

tsun

Thanks, I'm very honored. Uhhh . . . who or what is Vanelle? I looked up the name and came up with an actress who stared in "See the Dead". Anyway, I am glad that it embodies the spirit of Vanelle.

Vanelle is a very talented geocoin designer. :) You can see many of her designs on her facebook profile here:

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=164721920711

tsun

Vanelle is a very talented geocoin designer. :) You can see many of her designs on her facebook profile here:

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=164721920711

Ahhh, that's Vanelle! Yes, I love her work! Two of her coins made it onto my list of really great coins, namely "Sunshine, Freedom, Flowers" and the ginkgo geocoin. Those are great coins, so yes, it is an honor.

I've been pleased with this coin's reception and I have always been bothered that there were not any glass versions so I have begun a remint. As I promised earlier, I had a new die created specifically so that these coins will be stamped with the year 2011 instead of 2010. I will be making two new editions and ordering 50 more "Sea of Nectar" coins because that edition was so popular. Below are images of the coins as well as brief descriptions. I hope that you like them.

All three of the edition names come from official names of lunar features.

DawningHopebothsidessmall.jpg

Here is the Sea of Nectar 2011. As before, it is solid copper and finished with 18 karat gold. If you look at all of the lunar seas, only Mare Nectaris truly captures the fire of copper and the royalty of real gold.

SeaofCloudsartbothsides.jpg

This is the Sea of Clouds (Mare Nubium) edition. The metal finish is 18 karat gold. The side with the star is colored with yellow and white pearl enamel to give the impression of being immersed in thick clouds. The colors are meant to all be similar and blend together. I just hope that the pearl colors will look as good as I see them in my imagination. The side with the flowers on it is colored completely with glass. Four different colors of borosilicate enamel are melted on on an 800 degree C furnace. This finish is important to me because it will last for hundreds or thousands of years while the usual epoxy enamel that other coins use will degrade after a few decades.

LakeofDreamsbothsides.jpg

This is the Lake of Dreams (Lacus Somniorum) edition. The star side has no enamel so the colors are black nickel and 18 karat gold. The side with the flowers is colored with green and purple glass. The other two colors are black nickel and gold. I made this edition just because I had colored another coin with 2-tone gold and black nickel and I was so happy with the results.

I will be making 50 of each edition for 150 coins total and do not expect to be making any others Dawning Hope coins this year.

Nice job. I can hardly wait to see the new coins. if you are taking reservations, I would like one of each.

Tim, I wasn't planning on taking reservations, but I would be happy to put you down for three. I'll send you a Paypal invoice when they arrive. Please tell me if your address has changed since I last sent you coins.

Since some people have shown interest in reservations for these three new coins, I'll be happy to take down your information and then send a Paypal invoice when the coins arrive. I will be selling these coins at Geocoinfest and since I will be making only 50 of each edition, some could sell out. Placing a reservation will ensure that you get the coin that you want. I will need the following information:

Real Name

Groundspeak Username (your name in this forum)

Shipping Address

Paypal E-mail

Number of each version you are reserving

With the new editions coming out, some people have asked me about the minting numbers. Here is the complete list:

Midgard (100 stamped 2010)

Gondolin (50 stamped 2010)

Sea of Tranquility (50 stamped 2010)

Sea of Nectar (50 stamped 2010)

Sea of Nectar (50 stamped 2011)

Sea of Crisis (Darkest Before Dawn) (50 stamped 2010)

Sea of Clouds (50 stamped 2011)

Lake of Dreams (50 stamped 2011)

Siege (2 stamped 2010)

Turgon (1 stamped 2010)

Elessar (1 stamped 2010)

XXLE coin for sale!

If you look at the minting list in the previous post, you will see that there are four very rare coins. I am currently selling the first of these four and it can be found at this link:

War Coin for Sale

Here is the text describing the sale:

The Story

The Azure Scroll of Ecthelion tells a tale of four coins that were forged long ago and known as “the war coins”. These coins superficially appeared to be like other Dawning Hope coins, but were set apart from others of their kind due to the extra protection that was bestowed upon them so that they could “withstand times of trial”. Various writings that mention these four relics say little about their origins although myths and legends have grown up around them. Two of the coins were named after great leaders, but it is unclear whether they were wrought for these individuals, wrought by them, or in some way embodied their greatest traits.

The four war coins are:

Turgon (only one in existence)

Elessar (only one in existence)

Siege (two coins)

The siege coins were said to be carried by twin princes and were as identical as their first owners. The coins witnessed unspeakable conflicts and even today bear the dark sooty scars of battle.

The Facts

This “siege” coin is one of only two identical coins and this edition will never again be made. It is two inches in diameter and unactivated. It is similar in appearance to the “Sea of Tranquility” Dawning Hope coins, but differs in how its antique finish was applied over the 18 karat gold and that it was given a protective epoxy dome at the time of its creation. Of all the Dawning Hope coins, this hard shield can only be found on the four war coins. The sooty finish on this coin is unique to the Siege editions and is locked under its protective shield. Only a select group of individuals will be bearers of the war coins as each unique relic is passed from individual to individual over the generations.

Since this coin is only one of two, it thus must be sold “as is”. Please take careful note of the photograph because this is the exact coin for sale and it contains minor scars that are part of its history.

I should have posted this much earlier, but I am currently selling the 2nd of four war coins. This coin is one of a kind and will never be made again. A certificate of authenticity will be included that has been signed by the artist. Below is the link to the auction:

Elessar War Coin

This “Elessar” coin is the only one of its kind and this edition will never again be made. It is two inches in diameter and unactivated. It is similar in appearance to the “Midgard” Dawning Hope coins, but differs in that it was given a protective epoxy dome at the time of its creation. Of all the Dawning Hope coins, this hard shield can only be found on the four war coins. Only a select group of individuals will be bearers of the war coins as each unique relic is passed from individual to individual over the generations.

The Azure Scroll of Ecthelion tells a tale of four coins that were forged long ago and known as “the war coins”. These coins superficially appeared to be like other Dawning Hope coins, but were set apart from others of their kind due to the extra protection that was bestowed upon them so that they could “withstand times of trial”. Various writings that mention these four relics say little about their origins although myths and legends have grown up around them. Two of the coins were named after great leaders, but it is unclear whether they were wrought for these individuals, wrought by them, or in some way embodied their greatest traits.

The four war coins are:

Turgon (only one in existence)

Elessar (only one in existence)

Siege (two coins)

The siege coins were said to be carried by twin princes and were as identical as their first owners. The coins witnessed unspeakable conflicts and even today bear the dark sooty scars of battle.

The new Dawning hope coins are in! They were supposed to be for Geocoinfest 2011, but better late than never. Up until now, the Dawning Hope coins have not had any glass editions, but that has now been rectified with the Sea of Clouds and the Lake of Dreams. In addition to the two glass finishes there is also a 2011 remint of one of my most popular coins: the Sea of Nectar edition.

SeaofCloudsbothsidessmall.jpg

The Sea of Clouds is meant to give the impression of looking through a thick bank of clouds. All of the colors on the star side (white and yellow) are pearl (swirl) enamel. In addition to the swirly colors, the enamel is translucent so that the smaller stars can be vaguely seen through the foggy white. All four of the colors on the flower side are actually glass, meaning that this enamel will resist, scratches, chemicals, and the ravages of time. If taken care of, the glass will look the same in 1000 years. The same cannot be said for epoxy enamel.

The Sea of Clouds is a feature on the southwest quadrant of the moon between the Tycho and Copernicus craters and next to the Ocean of Storms.

LakeofDreamsbothsidessmall.jpg

The Lake of Dreams is meant to give the impression of finding an oasis of beauty on a dark night. Most of the coin is finished in 18 karat gold and black nickel, but the plant background and the flowers are finished in green and purple glass.

The Lake of Dreams is another feature on the moon found just to the North East of the Sea of Serenity.

The third coin in this order is the 2011 edition of the Sea of Nectar. The popularity of this gold and solid copper coin demanded a remint. I also went to the added expense to have a new die made showing that all of these coins were made in 2011.

I should have the coins for sale at my web store in the next day or two. I will also be sending out invoices for reservations very soon.

I would love to see a pic of the "Sea of Nectar" coin. I tried to search on here to see if there already was one but I am not the best on here. Maybe you could help? :)

There is a picture in post #129, or in other words, look sixteen posts up. This coin is gold on solid copper and seemed to click with people.