Dawning Hope 2010

GregsonVaux

All orders have been shipped!(domestic and international)

I was amazed that every single person who placed a reservation sent me money within two days. Not one person changed their mind and said that they did not want them after all. The number of orders was rather large and it took me a LONG time to get them all processed. I went to the post office several hours ago with a giant box full of mailers. I put the larger orders (for instance, eight coins) into two separate packages, because it reduces overall shipping costs, so if you get just one package with half of your shipment, the rest will be arriving later.

The custom icon is showing up for activated coins, but for some reason, the coin's name has not yet been entered into the system, so it is listed as "TBD Coins". Groundspeak is currently working on this.

***update*** The coin's name has been fixed and now shows up along with the custom icon.

I hope everyone enjoys the coins.

Edited by GregsonVaux

All orders have been shipped!(domestic and international)

I was amazed that every single person who placed a reservation sent me money within two days. Not one person changed their mind and said that they did not want them after all. The number of orders was rather large and it took me a LONG time to get them all processed. I went to the post office several hours ago with a giant box full of mailers. I put the larger orders (for instance, eight coins) into two separate packages, because it reduces overall shipping costs, so if you get just one package with half of your shipment, the rest will be arriving later.

The custom icon is showing up for activated coins, but for some reason, the coin's name has not yet been entered into the system, so it is listed as "TBD Coins". Groundspeak is currently working on this.

I hope everyone enjoys the coins.

A testament to how beautiful this coin is...and how your attention to detail is appreciated. :D

Can't wait for mine!

GregsonVaux, are you still going to sell some of these or are they all gone?

Yes,

I still have some left. I hope to have the web site working in the not too distant future, but until then, they can be ordered using the instructions in post #30 of this thread. The only difference is since the reservation period is over, there will no longer be a $1.00 discount. The regular price is $10.97.

International shipping is different for each country, but shipping costs to Europe were about $2.50 - $3.50 for one coin and about $5.00 for two coins. Postage to Canada is not much more than to the U.S. I try to keep postage to the absolute minimum.

A testament to how beautiful this coin is...and how your attention to detail is appreciated. :D

Can't wait for mine!

Thanks for saying so; making these coins really is a labor of love.

This is actually a diversion in a much larger project that I have been working on for over twenty years. My goal has been to make beautiful objects that can last for thousands of years. Geocoins are not exactly that, but they are in the right direction, so I thought that I would try making some coins and get practice for my larger project.

YAY, ours arrived today! Sweet coins, as good as the pictures are, none of them give a true sense of how nice the Antique Gold and Silver come together in the two tone Sea of Tranquility version. I like the way they feel in your hand too, these coins don't feel like a cross between a pathtag and a suncatcher, they've got some weight when they hit your palm. I'm really glad I found these lurking on page two last week, I nearly missed them. :(

Thanks GregsonVaux

I wrote in an earlier post that if there was enough interest in the coin, I would make an edition especially for the people in this forum to say thank you for all of the help you have given me. There has been enough interest, so I am talking to the mint about two new editions. Nothing is final yet, because I am not sure that the metal combination on the new LE is even possible, but I want to poll people to see if this is something that they would like. The first new edition will be 2-tone gold on copper. The color scheme will be the same as the Sea of Tranquility edition.

The second new edition is the one that I am unsure of both whether it is possible and whether people are interested. The edition will be limited to 50 coins and never be reminted. It will be 2-tone shiny nickel on black nickel to represent the times in peoples lives when they feel that they have hit the lowest point possible and life is meaningless. The initial draft artwork is immediately below:

GregsonVauxStarBlackNickel2-24-2011.jpg

GregsonVauxVineBlackNickel2-24-2011.jpg

If the coin goes ahead, I will be keeping five for myself and making the other 45 available to the forum readers. I will first limit the reservations to 1 per household to make sure that everyone has a chance to get one. After about a week, I will allow people to increase the number of coins in their reservation. The coins will each cost $10.97 and as before, the shipping cost will be kept to a minimum. For buyers outside of the US and Canada, this means approximately 3-4 dollars for one coin and approximately five dollars for two coins. I will not be placing any limits on how the coin is used, so you are free to resell it if you wish.

Please reply to this post or send me an e-mail if you would be interested in buying the black nickel version. I am not taking reservations at this time, just gauging interest to see whether I should go ahead.

Nice, but should the Spring section be solid black, if hope has returned? I'd like to see more shiny nickel there!

the stars and the snowflakes will be bright shiny nickel. The point of this coin is that sometimes people reach a stage in their lives where despair seems absolute and it feels like hope can never return. I was originally going to call this edition "Darkest Before Dawn". However, I have decided to name all of the 2-tone Dawning Hope coins after lunar Maria (seas). The first 2-tone was the "Sea of Tranquility" and this one will be the "Sea of Crises". The gold on copper will be the "Sea of Nectar".

I'll do my best to write a paragraph describing the coin and explaining the color scheme:

"I reached a point in my life where everything that gave me happiness had either been lost or taken from me. I sat down on the ground too tired to go on and just wished that the pain and sadness would end. Surrounding me was impenetrable night, since neither the sun nor the moon were to be found anywhere. All of the familiar beacons in my life that had given me purpose and reason were hidden. As I grew accustomed to the darkness and cold, I became aware that even though the familiar stars in the sky were blotted out, there were other stars, just tiny pinpoints of light, still shining. I had never noticed them before until this moment of darkness when at last I could see them. I was overwhelmed with how beautiful they were! I also became aware of a very small noise that I could not identify. It came from everywhere and sounded almost like a thousand tiny wings or perhaps many voices whispering a song. I realized that snow was falling and in the stillness I could hear the flakes settling on the ground. Although there was no moonlight, the tiny stars were bright enough to make the snow sparkle. In this frozen, dreary place I had somehow found an almost holy beauty. I was so caught up in the wonder of it all that I didn't notice the sky begin to glow until the sun suddenly rose up over the horizon."

Maybe "Darkest Before Dawn" really is a better name.

So the whole coin would be black nickel with just the stars and snowflakes in a shiny nickel? Hmm...can't quite picture how the detail would look in all black nickel, but yeah...I'd probably buy one, and "Darkest Before Dawn" is a great name for it, I think. It suits my life right now, too. It's nice to be reminded that there's always hope....

So the whole coin would be black nickel with just the stars and snowflakes in a shiny nickel? Hmm...can't quite picture how the detail would look in all black nickel

I am not 100% sure that this will work, but the current plan is to mask the surface of the coin and sand blast the background. Even though the surface and background will both be black, they will have different textures so the details will stand out. At least that is the theory. The small stars and snowflakes will, of course, stand out since they will be different colors.

6N-031243-8-2011small.png

The Dawning Hope coins sold well enough that I just placed an order for more. There will be two new editions that I am excited about: a 2-tone gold on copper (Sea of Nectar edition) and a 2-tone shiny nickel on black nickel (Darkest Before Dawn edition).

The Sea of Nectar edition will use a technique that I believe has never been used before in geocoins. Instead of being copper plated, the coin will be solid copper with gold highlights. This is for true copper aficionados who want their coins to age well. Metal platings will come off over time, but solid copper will develop a characteristic copper patina that is regarded as desirable by the art world. The shiny gold highlights will be 18-24 carat in purity. This metal was chosen especially for its longevity and durable beauty.

The Darkest Before Dawn edition will be a limited to a minting run of fifty coins and will never again be produced. In order to show my thanks to this community, this edition will only be made available to members of this forum. The mint informed me that making just the stars and snowflakes shiny nickel would be too difficult, so the color scheme will be as shown in the picture at the beginning of this post.

This current order will also include more Midgard editions, which is hard transparent enamel over a bronze core and finished in 18-24 carat gold. These new midgard editions may have a slightly different shade of green than the old ones.

A few of the old Midgard and Sea of Tranquility editions are still available. They can be found at the following link:

http://www.gregsonvaux.com/Dawning_Hope_2010/cat517606_438840.aspx

Very cool! I'd like to order one of each - Sea of Nectar and Darkest Before Dawn. Are you taking reservations via post here or per a PM?

I wasn't planning on taking reservations yet, but if people are interested, I can start doing that.

Cost of each coin: $10.97

Ordering limits:

Darkest Before Dawn - one per person/mailing address

Sea of Nectar - three per person/mailing address

Midgard - unlimited

Please email me the following information:

Real Name

Groundspeak Username (your name in this forum)

Shipping Address

Paypal E-mail

Number of each version you are reserving

I will send out invoices when I have the coins in my hands.

Edited by GregsonVaux

They look great. The solid copper is especially appealing to me.

Any chance these could be marked Dawning Hope 2011 instead of 2010?

This minting will still be marked 2010, but all future mintings will be 2011. What that means is that some of these editions have become LEs. The numbers are:

Midgard 2010 - 100 minted

Sea of Tranquility 2010 - 50 minted

Gondolin - 50 minted

Sea of Nectar 2010 - 50 minted

Darkest Before Dawn (Sea of Crises) - 50 minted

Siege - 2 minted

Turgon - 1 minted

Elessar - 1 minted

The Gondolin, Darkest Before Dawn, Turgon, and Elessar will never be minted again in any form. The others could be minted again, but with a later year stamped on them.

I just received an update that the new Dawning Hope order is on the way. I expect the coins to arrive sometime next week and it will contain the following editions:

Midgard (hard enamel on antique gold)

Sea of nectar (2-tone gold highlights on solid copper)

Darkest Before Dawn (2-tone shiny nickel on black nickel)

The Darkest Before Dawn is a limited edition only available to members of this forum.

I will be posting pictures when the coins arrive.

For those of you who already placed a reservation for a Darkest Before Dawn, you are welcome to increase your reservation to two coins (everyone else is limited to one). Just email me if you want to increase your order. For those who have still not made a reservation, feel free to send me the following information:

Real Name

Groundspeak Username (your name in this forum)

Shipping Address

Paypal E-mail

Number of each version you are reserving

The coins are in! When I opened the box, I was surprised and pleased that they turned out so well. The Sea of Nectar editions with the 18k gold on the solid copper may be my favorite edition yet. The Darkest Before Dawn editions were sandblasted before the black nickel was applied in order to make the details more prominent and the technique turned out better than my expectations. Please excuse the number of pictures, but I am rather proud of this particular order.

For those who made reservations, I will be sending out invoices in the next couple of days.

For those of you who still want to place an order, please see post #91

IMG_9536small.jpg

IMG_9534small.jpg

IMG_9532small.jpg

IMG_9531small.jpg

IMG_9522small.jpg

IMG_9512small.jpg

IMG_9506small.jpg

All invoices, both domestic and international, have been sent. Please tell me if you did not receive one.

For those who have not placed an order, you are still welcome to do so. Since everyone who wanted a Darkest Before Dawn edition has now been invoiced, restrictions on the number ordered have been lifted.