Dawning Hope 2010

GregsonVaux

Hi Everyone,

Here is my first geocoin effort. My intention is for this to be the first coin in a series that features different alphabets. The first three will feature the following alphabets tengwar (Elfish Runes), futhark (Germanic, Scandinavian, Dwarfish runes), Hebrew (Jewish runes :lol: ). The idea is for the text to stand out more than the graphics.

Below are some pictures of my current working drafts for the first coin:

starlargerletters.jpg

starlargerletterscolor.jpg

vinecrescent2expandedca.jpg

vineivyleaves.jpg

vineivyfewerleaves.jpg

By the way, the English and tengwar say the exact same thing to act as a Rosetta Stone.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what works and what doesn't? Of the three ivy drafts, I think that the oval leaves work best. I am not exactly sure why the trefoil ivy leaves did not work. The version with more leaves looks too much like star fish clinging to a reef. The one with less leaves works better, but is still lacking. The trefoil leaves work better when colored in, but my intention is to have one version of the coin be uncolored so the graphics must work without color. My wife said she thought the trefoil leaves would be better if there were more sizes and the stems were longer.

With the star, I am thinking of putting some texture on the large star. I tried tengwar and curing designs, but that did not work out well. Perhaps something angular and crystalline will work better.

About the coin. The purpose of this coin is to showcase tengwar and remind that hope always returns. The transition from winter to summer is moon shaped to recall another natural cycle of growth and death. The moon phase is waxing to show that, on this coin, hope is currently in the growth phase. I tried to pick Elfish themes of growing plants and a star, which in this case represents a light in the darkness. This coin is intended for people who feel that hope is far away.

I will post more images later when I have better thought out color schemes.

Gregson

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

What I can see of them is lovely, but the pictures are so large, I'm missing about a quarter of the image.

Thanks.

Would other tell me if they are having similar problems? I can post smaller pictures, but I wanted people to be able to see the details. With my computer settings and screen, I can see the whole picture.

Edited by GregsonVaux

Yep, those are some large images. Most places that host your photos also give you the ability to set size, you might try that. They do look like nice coins though.

Thanks, I'll make the next set smaller. How much smaller should I make them? 50% of original? 33%? 25%?

Edited by GregsonVaux

As requested, here are smaller pictures. I also added color to the vine side of the coin. My thinking with the flowers is that they will be the same yellow as the star to give unity to the two sides. Does yellow work for the flowers? Would red or purple be better? Would a butterfly improve the flower side.

You insights would be welcome.

starlargerletterscolors.jpg

vinecrescent2expandedca.jpg

Edited by GregsonVaux

As a horticulturist, I like the oval leaves better. The ivy leaves are kind of silly, as ivy is an evergreen.

Makes no sense to celebrate spring with evergreen ivy leaves....

I like the designs, and the words, even though I miss out the point of the tengwar.

But then, I'm very fond of compass roses.... ;)

As a horticulturist, I like the oval leaves better. The ivy leaves are kind of silly, as ivy is an evergreen.

Makes no sense to celebrate spring with evergreen ivy leaves....

I like the designs, and the words, even though I miss out the point of the tengwar.

But then, I'm very fond of compass roses.... ;)

Good point about ivy being an evergreen. Oval leaves it is. So the plant is now some nameless vine and not ivy.

The tengwar is actually the whole point. Although tengwar has been on geocoins before, it has never really been featured. Even Scavok's tengwar coin only has very small letters on one side. The point of that coin is the central design and the tengwar are peripheral. As far as I know, this will be the first coin really dedicated to tengwar.

This biggest question of all that I have is whether people would be interested in buying this coin.

Gregson

Edited by GregsonVaux

I have to second what ElliPirelli wrote about the foliage. The flower bothers me, too. Four-petaled flowers are not very common. My mind keeps running through all of the four-petaled flowers I know, and the lack of a valid identification for your plant is unsettling. Although, I admit, most people probably wouldn't even notice. :rolleyes: Or there could be a species match unknown to me.

I've spent the last ten days talking to lots of people about this project and tweaking the artwork endlessly. Thanks to all of you who kindly gave me your input. I have attached the new images and I think they show improvement. I am still learning how best to use the vector software, so the color vine leaves something to be desired in how the colors are portrayed. The orange color represents exposed metal, either gold or copper. The final enamel colors on the coin will similar but somewhat different than what is shown here. The small stars, the snow flakes, and the background leaves will all be under transparent enamel.

I am now in contact with the mint and it currently looks like I will be starting with an order of 150 coins. Fifty will be enamel on gold or bronze, Fifty will be two-tone with limited enamel, and fifty will be enamel on copper. The copper edition will be limited to only fifty ever being minted.

Gregson

star10152010.jpg

newvine10152010.jpg

starcolor10152010.jpg

newvinecolor10152010.jpg

Edited by GregsonVaux

I have to second what ElliPirelli wrote about the foliage. The flower bothers me, too. Four-petaled flowers are not very common. My mind keeps running through all of the four-petaled flowers I know, and the lack of a valid identification for your plant is unsettling. Although, I admit, most people probably wouldn't even notice. :grin: Or there could be a species match unknown to me.

most members of the PAPAVERACEAE, POPPY FAMILY, have four petals. they are pretty common.

rsg

I have to second what ElliPirelli wrote about the foliage. The flower bothers me, too. Four-petaled flowers are not very common. My mind keeps running through all of the four-petaled flowers I know, and the lack of a valid identification for your plant is unsettling. Although, I admit, most people probably wouldn't even notice. :wub: Or there could be a species match unknown to me.

most members of the PAPAVERACEAE, POPPY FAMILY, have four petals. they are pretty common.

rsg

We are pulling from different perspectives, I think. :grin: Among all of the plant families, relatively few of the families have flowers with 4 petals.

Art is art and doesn't have to be true to nature. But because plant identification is part of my work, I think along the lines of four petals, of that color and shape, arranged in this manner, with x number of stamens of y length, on stems of that size, with those-shaped leaves in alternate pattern, blah, blah, blah... That is why I went for the short reply version in my post. And one good reason why I purchase coins that artists have designed, instead of attempting to design my own. :D

Thanks for the support! Well, I have brass/metal covered. I have also been toying with making glass coins since I have sandblasting equipment and could do that.

One of my major interests in various materials is their durability and I like geocoins for their ability to carry an idea over hundreds or even thousands of years. I know that I am not alone in this interest and it is why people like antiques so much. It is our way to come in contact with another time. I own many old things to be in contact with the past, and I am creating a number of things with long life spans to be in contact with the future.

On a side note, few people understand why gold is so valuable. It is not because it is shiny, heavy, or rare. It is because it does not tarnish. It has the amazing property that if you make something out of pure gold, you can put it in a room or even drop it in the sea, and it will look exactly the same thousands of years later. The old term that was used was “incorruptible”. Up until recently, it was believed that gold had the characteristics of heaven because it was untouched by time. The view was that the earth was full of sin and things rotted. Gold somehow escaped this corruption and retained heaven’s ability to not grow old.

Nice to see a local cacher in here...I expected your coins to be crystal, wood, iron and brass...LOL! Good job on the design!

Edited by GregsonVaux

Up until recently, science and accuracy were the core of my life. I have degrees in physics, and math and I used to teach secondary biology, physics, and earth science. Thus, a part of me abhors making a coin that does not accurately reflect the natural world. Over time, I have been drawn to art, which has other objectives than accuracy regarding the physical world. Art has truth but it is not physical truth. It falls more into the spiritual realm. By the way the distinction between mind, body, and spirit will be the subject of my next coin.

Making this coin has taken a LOT of time. Since it is my first one, everything has been so difficult. If I had more time, I might have given greater emphasis on botanical accuracy.

I have to second what ElliPirelli wrote about the foliage. The flower bothers me, too. Four-petaled flowers are not very common. My mind keeps running through all of the four-petaled flowers I know, and the lack of a valid identification for your plant is unsettling. Although, I admit, most people probably wouldn't even notice. :wub: Or there could be a species match unknown to me.

rsg

We are pulling from different perspectives, I think. :grin: Among all of the plant families, relatively few of the families have flowers with 4 petals.

Art is art and doesn't have to be true to nature. But because plant identification is part of my work, I think along the lines of four petals, of that color and shape, arranged in this manner, with x number of stamens of y length, on stems of that size, with those-shaped leaves in alternate pattern, blah, blah, blah... That is why I went for the short reply version in my post. And one good reason why I purchase coins that artists have designed, instead of attempting to design my own. :D

Thanks for the support! Well, I have brass/metal covered. I have also been toying with making glass coins since I have sandblasting equipment and could do that.

One of my major interests in various materials is their durability and I like geocoins for their ability to carry an idea over hundreds or even thousands of years. I know that I am not alone in this interest and it is why people like antiques so much. It is our way to come in contact with another time. I own many old things to be in contact with the past, and I am creating a number of things with long life spans to be in contact with the future.

On a side note, few people understand why gold is so valuable. It is not because it is shiny, heavy, or rare. It is because it does not tarnish. It has the amazing property that if you make something out of pure gold, you can put it in a room or even drop it in the sea, and it will look exactly the same thousands of years later. The old term that was used was “incorruptible”. Up until recently, it was believed that gold had the characteristics of heaven because it was untouched by time. The view was that the earth was full of sin and things rotted. Gold somehow escaped this corruption and retained heaven’s ability to not grow old.

Nice to see a local cacher in here...I expected your coins to be crystal, wood, iron and brass...LOL! Good job on the design!

FYI - there are coins with Swarovski crystals in them...not that I am saying to use them in this design, but just something to keep in mind for the future (since I know you have a fondness of them).

FYI - there are coins with Swarovski crystals in them...not that I am saying to use them in this design, but just something to keep in mind for the future (since I know you have a fondness of them).

Yeah, I like Swarovski crystals. You have seen them in my caches, but you should see my house. There is one room that could probably be called the crystal room. There is a cabinet full of them and crystal sculptures hang from the ceiling. My next coin will be the Dwarf coin and I may owe it to them to put a crystal in the design. I had already thought of showing a dwarf emerging from a mine holding a gem up high.

For the OP, when you need a title change, please click "report" on your first post. This will:

1. Notify us that you need a title change, we don't read every thread, you got lucky this time.

2. It gives us a link to the thread, so we don't have to find it.

3. You tell us the change you need, and whichever moderator gets to it first can change it.

4. Provides you with faster service. By posting in the thread, you had to wait two days for me to see it, and your thread fell off the first page.

(This information was added to the Pinned Thread this week so more people will know, if they read it.)

My samples arrived today! On the whole I am pretty happy with them, but I am thinking about a few changes. I am worried that the antique finish makes them too dark. Does anyone have any thoughts whether shiny metal would be better than antique? I am thinking that I want them to be happier coins. The two-tone is especially dark, but my wife says that she likes it that way.

The two-tone version is currently covered with clear epoxy. I think that I will leave the epoxy off of the full production run since it creates too much glare.

On the star side, the small stars do not show through the transparent enamel very well, so I might consider a lighter blue.

I am very happy with the tracking numbers they are color filled and are extremely easy to read.

These coins are not too bad for a first effort, but I am learning some lessons.

The primary purpose of these coins is to showcase the tengwar runes and I think they do that well.

img8725small.jpg

img8720small.jpg

img8740small.jpg

img8736small.jpg

img8727small.jpg

img8730small.jpg

p.s. the image hosting site put two of the images on their side, but after numerous attempts, I could not get them to post the right way up. Strange.

The colors do look dark, what did the company that minted them say?

Arr they soft enamel?

Is there epoxy on all of the over the entire coin also?

The company that minted them has not said anything except to notify me that they had been shipped. All of the enamels are hard and the epoxy is only on the 2-tone version. I did get samples with epoxy on the bare metal sections of the colored enamel version, but they are not pictured and I won't go with them.

One thing I do wonder is how many mints there are in China. I am guessing that there are at least two due to the variations I see in how coins are produced. Also, I did not receive pictures from the mint like others have. On the other hand, the tracking numbers are deep and dark, which makes me very happy. I probably just alerted the people who make coins which company I went with. The mint/vendor that I went with has been making many geocoins for a while.

Edited by GregsonVaux

That came out really well!! Congratulations. :D I like the changes you made. :D And I don't think that the antique is too dark at all.

Thanks, you put a smile on my face.

So what do others think? Should I go with antique gold and copper or shiny gold and copper? If I seriously consider shiny, then I might need to have more samples made.

If people like this coin, I am currently designing the second in the series. It will feature elder futhark runes. The biggest lesson that I have learned from this coin is that I need to keep in mind how small the canvas is. On my second coin will be three suns and three moons and I will likely need to make them bigger than I currently have them.

That came out really well!! Congratulations. :D I like the changes you made. :D And I don't think that the antique is too dark at all.

Thanks, you put a smile on my face.

So what do others think? Should I go with antique gold and copper or shiny gold and copper? If I seriously consider shiny, then I might need to have more samples made.

that's a hard one, but for some reason, antique seems to work better in my mind for the subject matter - for the all metal coins.

for the ones with translucent enamels, shiny gold or copper. the enamels will be prettier, i think. i suppose it all depends on when the antiqueing is done, before or after the enameling. whatever gives you the shiniest metal under the translucent. that will just make it "pop!"

in the picture above, the enamels over the antique copper look muddy.

now there, isn't that a big help?

Edited by RedShoesGirl

I received a number of e-mails and other communication and the response was overwhelming; I will be sticking with the antique finishes. Thanks for all of the kind comments and encouragement. :anitongue: So, I am now ready for reservations (i.e. you will be billed after the coins have been shipped to me). Payments will be by Paypal only.

The versions available will be:

antique 18k gold with transparent hard enamel - $9.97

two tone (18k antique gold and shiny nickel) - $9.97

The cost after the reservation will be $10.97 each.

If you would like to make a reservation, please send me an e-mail using Groundspeak and I will send a confirmation e-mail.

You will need to provide the following information:

Real Name

Groundspeak Username (your name in this forum)

Shipping Address

Paypal E-mail

Number of each version you are reserving

I hope you like the coins

I will post another message soon after this one giving further information and more pictures of the coins.

img8745.jpg

img8754.jpg

This coin description was kept separate from the last post so the reservation information would be clear and uncluttered.

This coin is the first of a series showcasing different writing systems. This first coin will feature tengwar runes. These letters were invented by JRR Tolkien in the early part of the 20th century to be used in his poetry and fiction. It has appeared on at least three other geocoins, but never this prominently. Most people are familiar with tengwar as the writing on the one ring from "Lord of the Rings"

The coin will be initially made in three versions:

Midgard - real 18k gold plating with an antique finish and transparent hard enamel

Sea of Tranquility - two-tone real 18k gold plating with an antique finish and shiny nickel

Gondolin - antique copper and transparent hard enamel (artist's edition, private sales only)

If the coin is well received, a black nickel version will be made available to this forum only.

The coin is 2 inches in diameter and 3.5mm thick. It is named "Dawning Hope 2010" and this title as well as the tracking number are engraved on the side.

The writing on the coin comes from a much longer poem about love and hope. The message on the coin is that even though hope sometimes seems distant, it always returns. Three instances of death and rebirth are included. The main message is that the death of winter is replaced by the rebirth of spring. It is again seen in the dividing line on the back side of the coin in the shape of a moon. Those who are familiar with lunar cycles will recognize that the winter phase is growing smaller and the spring phase is growing larger. The third instance is in the coin's name which reminds us that the death of night is replaced by the rebirth of morning.

The front side of the coin features stars which represent beacons of hope that shine through the darkness.

Great looking coin... I just sent in a reservation for a two tone. :D

Whoops... I think I may have reserved the wrong one. :anibad:

I think it may be the Midgard that I want... anyway, I want the antique gold version with color enamel. :mad:

Thanks for the order! I'll put you down for the midgard version (antique gold with color enamel).

While I'm typing, the artwork for the next coin is coming along well and I hope to post it in the next few weeks. The coin will be called "Dwarven Treasure" but the point will be that wealth is much more than just gold and money. It will showcase futhark runes, which were used by the Scandinavian and Germanic cultures.

Edited by GregsonVaux

Your coin turned out beautifully! I particularly like the clear enamel overlay.

Thanks! You are the first person who liked the clear overlay, so it was left off of the full production runs. Thus, there will be only four coins total that will have the clear epoxy. I will most likely auction them off being that two of them will be XXLE and two of them will be unique (the only one of its kind on the whole planet). I put tracking numbers on them in anticipation that the samples would end up being different than the full runs. I made six samples total and only two of them will be the same as the REs.

Thanks! You are the first person who liked the clear overlay, so it was left off of the full production runs. Thus, there will be only four coins total that will have the clear epoxy. I will most likely auction them off being that two of them will be XXLE and two of them will be unique (the only one of its kind on the whole planet). I put tracking numbers on them in anticipation that the samples would end up being different than the full runs. I made six samples total and only two of them will be the same as the REs.

I'm surprised! The clear overlay are the most likely to succeed long, LONG aging factors and remain pure as the day they were produced. Beautiful results all around :)

I'm surprised! The clear overlay are the most likely to succeed long, LONG aging factors and remain pure as the day they were produced. Beautiful results all around :)

I like when people think about coin longevity. :) However, I'm not sure that epoxy is the right material for that. I expect that it will be cracked and flaking off before 100 years have passed. It may be even sooner before it has become yellow and opaque. On the other hand, there are materials that will remain beautiful and protective for thousands of years. Expect to see that in future coin editions.

Another major factor in whether a coin will last is whether people keep it in a protected environment and that requires that the coin be appealing. The reactions I heard from people made me believe that epoxy makes a coin less appealing.