HELP! GPS over board!

goldpot

...I could do with a couple of pints too! [:huh:]

To celebrate, or commiserate, either way works! :yikes:

To celebrate, of course!! I'm sure that "Goldpot" will fill you in with all the details & photo's later! :laughing:

It was a lovely day, & afterwards we ajourned to the "local" for some "refreshment" :laughing:

I have been watching these posts and cant wait to hear the outcome, come on Goldpot put me out of my misery did you recover the GPS and what condition was it in? I would like to think you popped new batteries in and flashed it up, although the truth may not be like that at all I fear!! Either its in the airing cupboard drying out or still unfound at the bottom of Poole harbour.

Good news, Chris found my GPS very quickly, as expected, in the depths of the marina.

Covered in slim I washed it with tap water, but the sea water had seeped into the device. The salt water reacted with the battery power and dissolved one of the battery terminals!

The GPS is now sitting in fresh water to remove all traces of the salt then will have a drying out period, so, not out of the woods yet!

However, the chip still reads!

Still, it turned out to be a great day back down in Poole Harbour, Chris and his mates were great company and many thanks for retrieving the GPS, it’s a shame we couldn't treated this as a 5* CITO event!

Pictures will follow later as it has now gone midnight and I got work in the morning!

Good news, Chris found my GPS very quickly, as expected, in the depths of the marina.

Yes ..... once I was heading in the right direction ..... got completely disorientated at first .... maybe I need an underwater GPS? ;)

Shhh! I think "Goldpot" is an addict .... once we'd found the offending item & been for a couple of drinks, he was off looking for caches .... in Poole! :P

It was a real pleasure meeting you, "Goldpot", & I was so glad to have been able to find your unit. Hope you are as lucky with the final outcome! :P

If there are any benevolent 'cachers' around the Wimborne/Poole area who would like to help out a complete 'caching virgin, I'd be pleased to hear from you! :lol:

Shhh! I think "Goldpot" is an addict .... once we'd found the offending item & been for a couple of drinks, he was off looking for caches .... in Poole! ;)

Chris,

Once you start finding caches, you'll realise that any opportunity is a good opportunity.

It's an addictive game.

Personally, I don't cache at events, but most people do.. they often pop in, have a drink or two, say hello and off for the rest of the day (and with Camping events, often night too!)

Funny enough, this time last year we came and spent a week just outside Corfe Castle in a campsite. We're off next week again, but I'm not sure where we are going but if you're about, you're more than welcome to come join us....

Finally...my replacement Oregon 400t has arrived back from Garmin - 4 months after I sent them my drown GPS!

Apparently, the courier company (a well known American company with brown vans) could not find my address, not once but twice and they even rang me twice for details on how to find my place! After much to and fro-ing a different courier company managed to do the deeds...by delivering it to my neighbour!!!

Come to think of it I should have given them the co-ordinates of my address...or would they 'DNF' with that too?!

I did suggest to Garmin that this would be a good opportunity to sell their Sat-Nav to them!

Anyway, I’m please with my new toy and I hope to reduce my DNFs after months with a simple, but limited E-trex.