Underwater 5/5 cache

I want to place a cache in a lake near my house, the trick is that it would require a boat in the warm weather and an Ice auger in the winter. the cache would obviously be water proof and would rest on the bottom of the lake bed held there by an anchor and would be brought to the surface by hauling on a rope attached to a small bouy at the surface. Obviously the cache would be large enough to have some sweet trinkets and swag. can anyone see a problem with this.

I want to place a cache in a lake near my house, the trick is that it would require a boat in the warm weather and an Ice auger in the winter. the cache would obviously be water proof and would rest on the bottom of the lake bed held there by an anchor and would be brought to the surface by hauling on a rope attached to a small bouy at the surface. Obviously the cache would be large enough to have some sweet trinkets and swag. can anyone see a problem with this.

Only problem is that the difficulty is not a 5.

I'd probably rate it a 2/5 or maybe 3/5 if the buoy is tricky to locate.

Only problem is that the difficulty is not a 5.

I'd probably rate it a 2/5 or maybe 3/5 if the buoy is tricky to locate.

True, buoy is fairly easy to locate.

Humm, I wonder what the one I found by swimming was rated for *wanders off to check*

*edit. It is a 2/2. It probably should have been done using a boat but.... well I didnt'.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

Ok so cause the cache can be retrived with out getting wet it lowers the difficulty.

I want to make it difficult to find and not easy to be spoted due to muggles on the lake, so I would probably use a small plastic tube made to look like a log as the buoy, motored boats are not allowed so I shouldn't need to worry about the cable being cut by a propeller.

Probably not swimable the nearest point of land is 200m away and it's just a small island, the main land is averaging about 500m.

Edited by ChaseEFWilliams

Ok so cause the cache can be retrived with out getting wet it lowers the difficulty.

I want to make it difficult to find and not easy to be spoted due to muggles on the lake, so I would probably use a small plastic tube made to look like a log as the buoy, motored boats are not allowed so I shouldn't need to worry about the cable being cut by a propeller.

Probably not swimable the nearest point of land is 200m away and it's just a small island, the main land is averaging about 500m.

I'd probably swim that, but most people are not likely to. A boat would be a good choice.

Ya, it's definitely swimable. Most won't, that doesn't mean that most can't. Fizzy is right as well, with a bouy the difficulty goes way down. If you're going to make it look like a root or log, make sure that there aren't a whole lot of places that it can be put back wrong. Would make your maintainence runs a 4 or 5 difficulty.

Didja think about an underwater multi? Maybe having all the stages underwater at different places around the nearby island? That might raise your diff level. Or make 4 of the 5 stages underwater with one in the middle being up a tree on the shoreline?

Ya, it's definitely swimable. Most won't, that doesn't mean that most can't. Fizzy is right as well, with a bouy the difficulty goes way down. If you're going to make it look like a root or log, make sure that there aren't a whole lot of places that it can be put back wrong. Would make your maintainence runs a 4 or 5 difficulty.

Didja think about an underwater multi? Maybe having all the stages underwater at different places around the nearby island? That might raise your diff level. Or make 4 of the 5 stages underwater with one in the middle being up a tree on the shoreline?

*Want* I'd love a cache that I had to swim a distance for to collect the points.

Whether you need to get wet to retrieve the cache isn't the issue. The issue is how difficult the cache is to find, once you reach the coordinates. If I paddle out to the posted coordinates (terrain 5, "Requires specialized equipment"), pull on the only thing around that is floating on the surface of the water, and up comes the cache, then the difficulty is a lot closer to a 1 ("In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.") than it is to a 5 ("A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.").

The difficultly rating shouldn't reflect how hard it is to retrieve the cache, but how hard it is to find. A cache in plain view 50' up in a tree would have a difficulty of 1, but a high (possibly a 5 if it requires special gear to climb) terrain rating. Now, if you attached a rope to the container with a buoy on the surface and there were lots of other buoys in the area that might increase the difficulty a bit. However, if after one navigates to the published coordinates there is a lone buoy floating on the surface the difficulty in finding the caches would be quite low.