Geocaching.com site update Oct 5th 2010

Souvenirs are not just a lackey thing, or a USA thing. Due to fears of database overload, we haven't yet done retroactive awarding of them. That will come.

You only see USA souvenirs on my profile because that's all that I've qualified for.

I'd agree that more information on the souvenirs would be helpful, but the team behind them felt that the mystery would help spur desire for them.

i like a good mystery but this is right out a secret lol

how can i have desire to find something that i haven't got even the faintest idea what/where it could possibly be?

perhaps i should just start driving aimlessly around, get all the caches and hope there was a Souvenir in there or wait for the profiles to be update it and figure out some of them

and if you hit an area that has one would it just pop in your profile after you logged your found?

for this user the desire failed to be spurred, siting at sub-zero ;)

Edited by t4e

Souvenirs are not just a lackey thing, or a USA thing. Due to fears of database overload, we haven't yet done retroactive awarding of them. That will come.

You only see USA souvenirs on my profile because that's all that I've qualified for.

I'd agree that more information on the souvenirs would be helpful, but the team behind them felt that the mystery would help spur desire for them.

i like a good mystery but this is right out a secret lol

how can i have desire to find something that i haven't got even the faintest idea what/where it could possibly be?

perhaps i should just start driving aimlessly around, get all the caches and hope there was a Souvenir in there or wait for the profiles to be update it and figure out some of them

and if you hit an area that has one would it just pop in your profile after you logged your found?

for this user the desire failed to be spurred, siting at sub-zero ;)

I had a quick look at Moun10Bike's profile but I didn't get what Souvenirs are. Is it a virtual image that you receive when you find a cache?

Edited by Lone R

20292: Personal Notes for Cache Listings

I like this BUT.... it's a pity the notes aren't then included in a GPX download or PQs

Mark

This is just a slice of a larger feature set to be implemented in the future. Some other aspects include the ability to sync between Android and iPhone applications, as well as the two features you mentioned.

Personal Notes are a nice enhancement, but I wish they were at the bottom of each listing rather than at the top, where they push the cache info down the page. If you don't use it, it's a blank box wasting valuable space at the top of the page, making you scroll down to see the cache info.

I wish they were at the bottom of each listing rather than at the top, where they push the cache info down the page. If you don't use it, it's a blank box wasting valuable space at the top of the page, making you scroll down to see the cache info.

My thoughts exactly!

They are REALLY nice. I've taken a look at a few of the ones that I qualify for ;) and I'm really impressed by the gorgeous artwork!

Well done folks!

They are REALLY nice. I've taken a look at a few of the ones that I qualify for ;) and I'm really impressed by the gorgeous artwork!

Well done folks!

Domo!!!

I saw them too, and indeed, they are all great! I like them all, and the whole idea!

Now, how can I get them for my own profile???

I wonder if I'll get a Souvenir retroactively for attending a 10 Years! event last early May...

Also, I'm suspecting there would be a 10/10/10 Souvenir for those who cached on this special day, no???

That would be VERY coool!

Thanks Hampsters!

~ Dr.MORO

Edited by Dr.MORO

Maybe the servers are just still loaded with other tasks following the update, but I haven't seen a PQ that should have been generated last night yet. It's usually generated by about 5am at the latest and it's now 7am with no PQ yet. I don't have the email and it's not available for download either.

Maybe the servers are just still loaded with other tasks following the update, but I haven't seen a PQ that should have been generated last night yet. It's usually generated by about 5am at the latest and it's now 7am with no PQ yet. I don't have the email and it's not available for download either.

Same here, came in here looking for more information too. I can't function without my morning GPX files! ;)

11362: Create a Difficulty/Terrain rating scale on our own site.

Added Difficulty/Terrain rating determination tool to cache creation page. Same rules apply (Thanks to Clayjar for hosting all these years!)

"Is specialized equipment required?"-question is missing. Now only way for the cache to be rated T5, is if it requires overnight stay.

Without overnight stay checked, it's only possible to get T4.75.

Specialized Equipment now has its own attribute, so the 5-star workaround is no longer needed.

Now, a T5 really means what it should have meant all along.

First off, Grounspeak is going to have to make the any new definition of terrain a bit easier to find. But even if it's there, most people are so used to using T5 to mean special equipment that they will continue to do so. And you have all the existing T5 caches. If you get people to rate a boat cache as T2 with a boat attribute, you'll get complainers saying that a cache with a boat showed up in their PQ so they get to the lake and find out the cache is on an island and they don't have a boat. (I know they can also say "and does not have attribute X" but this part of setting up a pocket query is so difficult to understand that I suspect most people would skip it).

...did I miss it in the Release Notes..... "Souvenirs"?

Check my profile (the new "Souvenirs" tab) for some examples! ;)

Look's pretty hokey. Since you already get a special icon for an APE cache or Lost N Found, I'm not sure what the purpose of a souvenir is. If they were meant to replace challenge caches I could get behind the idea. But giving me an icon because I found a cache in Hollywood, CA seems ridiculous.

I don't know if the website/database-update brought this problem, but it seems so: Since the update yesterday, my iPhone app (v4.1.2) doesn't give me any results for a 'search by name/adress' search any more...

Hope you can fix thas soon...

Edited by BriToGi

is there a list of the different souvenirs and where i can find them

Personal Notes are a nice enhancement, but I wish they were at the bottom of each listing rather than at the top, where they push the cache info down the page. If you don't use it, it's a blank box wasting valuable space at the top of the page, making you scroll down to see the cache info.

Yes, please move it down below the Additonal Hints.

Yes, please move it down below the Additonal Hints.

That would be my wish as well.

11362: Create a Difficulty/Terrain rating scale on our own site.

Added Difficulty/Terrain rating determination tool to cache creation page. Same rules apply (Thanks to Clayjar for hosting all these years!)

"Is specialized equipment required?"-question is missing. Now only way for the cache to be rated T5, is if it requires overnight stay.

Without overnight stay checked, it's only possible to get T4.75.

Specialized Equipment now has its own attribute, so the 5-star workaround is no longer needed.

Now, a T5 really means what it should have meant all along.

That's ok, if T5 should have meant camping caches all along. I just find it curious that a cache on top of a high cliff, impossible to get to, without climbing gear is now only T4.5 (Current rating system gives T4.25 if you can park your car near by.) ;)

The results still show the definition of T5-cache same as before: "Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult."

Edit: added a link to the rating system, if someone is wondering what I'm babbling about

Edited by Viisikko

Somebody already mentionned this:

When viewing a PQ on the Google Map, ALL my icons, disabled or not, are greyed out.

Also, each of my PQs includes all the required caches, plus one cache that is thousands of KM away, and besides which, is archived! My southwestern Manitoba PQ includes an archived cache in central Arizona.

Help?

14139: Activation Code Retrieval

Added new facility to obtain lost activation codes for purchased Trackables

Well, I have a Groundspeak Travel Bug that I lost the code for, this was going to be perfect!

BUT

The new facility failed ;) - it said it the "Trackable manufacture" (btw typo there - should say "The trackable's manufacturer") had requested I use their website instead, then it sent me to Oak geocoins - completely unrelated company to my TB tag.

@GS lackeys :D - Get in touch with me through some trustable email addr if you'd like more details of this to help debug it... B)

Somebody already mentionned this:

When viewing a PQ on the Google Map, ALL my icons, disabled or not, are greyed out.

Also, each of my PQs includes all the required caches, plus one cache that is thousands of KM away, and besides which, is archived! My southwestern Manitoba PQ includes an archived cache in central Arizona.

Help?

Just a note - The other grey icons problem has been fixed - and I don't get this problem with my PQs!

I don't know if the website/database-update brought this problem, but it seems so: Since the update yesterday, my iPhone app (v4.1.2) doesn't give me any results for a 'search by name/adress' search any more...

I get the same thing...

"no results. No geocaches found" when I use the same search function.

Please fix!

Thank you!

can an option be added in your account preferences to just totally disable them?

Hear, Hear. Agreed.

adblock plus to the rescue:

geocaching.com#fieldset(class^=CacheNote ReverseSpacing NoSpacing)

not sure if that helps with the delay you're experiencing though. i don't, so i won't block it.

I like this BUT.... it's a pity the notes aren't then included in a GPX download or PQs

Mark

This is just a slice of a larger feature set to be implemented in the future. Some other aspects include the ability to sync between Android and iPhone applications, as well as the two features you mentioned.

Oh, you TEASE! :D

YES.

Just like they teased us when the 'Friends' feature was promised to actually deliver some useful functionality.

I'll wager 9,000,000 quatloos the whole idea will have gone nowhere in the next six months. :rolleyes:

Go ahead, prove me wrong.

Mark

Oh, you TEASE! ;)

YES.

Just like they teased us when the 'Friends' feature was promised to actually deliver some useful functionality.

I'll wager 9,000,000 quatloos the whole idea will have gone nowhere in the next six months. :rolleyes:

Go ahead, prove me wrong.

Hmm. Good point. We've been hearing about a new forum and something called "Geocaching.com version 2" for along time also. Ah well. A feller can dream. :D

Edited by Semper Questio

Along with moving 20292: Personal Notes for Cache Listings to the bottom of the page, or better yet with an option to turn it off, please return "adding coordinates" to a log back to the top of the log. The bottom is very inconvenient place. Located there it will only add to more people putting corrected coords "in" the log rather than "adding" to the log.

I just logged 2 caches and my "stat bar" is not updating.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the update.

just something I noticed when i logged the 2 caches.

The stat bar is cached for a period of time. If you check back later it will be accurate.

Your right,

it caught up and is correct now.

Although, I have never before seen this lag time or propagation delay with the stat bar.

This is fixed now

, thank you :-)

If you use Printfriendly:

. the notes of the Additional Waypoints are not printed anymore !!

. tabels are printed as text

It is indeed "printfriendly", but NOT USERfriendly...

:):):blink:

If you solve this "bug", please bring back the "Show Hidden Waypoints by default" too.

Notes and hidden Wp's are used in a lot of cache listing and contains important information to find WP's/stash.

example example

Edited by DanPan

I just had a cache that was published 1.5 miles from my home, but the notification email says it's 4.5 miles from home. Cache in question is GC2FMK4. This is the first notification I have received since the site upgrade, so I don't know if it has something to do with that.

I just had a cache that was published 1.5 miles from my home, but the notification email says it's 4.5 miles from home. Cache in question is GC2FMK4.

Open the cache page. Just below the coordinates is a distance "from your home coordinates" - what is that distance?

S 1.5 mi from your home coordinates.

It is also listed that way on the "filter out finds" option, where it is second on the list, in correct order, between a 0.8 and a 1.6 miles.

I just had a cache that was published 1.5 miles from my home, but the notification email says it's 4.5 miles from home. Cache in question is GC2FMK4.

Open the cache page. Just below the coordinates is a distance "from your home coordinates" - what is that distance?

It is also listed that way on the "filter out finds" option, where it is second on the list, in correct order, between a 0.8 and a 1.6 miles.

Chances are you are using a different set of coordinates for your instant notification than your house. Check your notifications at http://www.geocaching.com/notify/ and confirm that the origin coordinates all match your home coordinates.

I notice the Twitter updater is now fixed but isn't part of the update list of bug fixes.

It seems to have failed again. I found a cache today, used the Field Notes, and it never posted to twitter.

I just noticed this on the twitter link page when I checked the twitter sync section just now.

We are not allowing users to connect with Twitter at this point. Please try again later.

Love the new "Cache notes" !!!!

i've lost so many puzzle cache coord's that I've solved, it's not funny!!

Now I can just write them on the page.

I like it right where it is, up at top, so I can see right away if I've worked the puzzle or have any notes to myself about that cache!!

GREAT IDEA guys!!!

Chances are you are using a different set of coordinates for your instant notification than your house. Check your notifications at http://www.geocaching.com/notify/ and confirm that the origin coordinates all match your home coordinates.

DOH! Thanks, it's just that not many events post that close to me and that one just stuck out. I have no idea how the coordinates that were in there got there anyway.

If you use Printfriendly:

. the notes of the Additional Waypoints are not printed anymore !!

. tabels are printed as text

It is indeed "printfriendly", but NOT USERfriendly...

:(:laughing:;)

If you solve this "bug", please bring back the "Show Hidden Waypoints by default" too.

Notes and hidden Wp's are used in a lot of cache listing and contains important information to find WP's/stash.

example example

I have the same problem and

for cache descriptions without HTML all line breaks are ignored which results in unusable text

example

I'm on the same page as DanPan regarding hidden Waypoints.

Thanks,

FamWa

Any idea when the retroactive awarding is going to take place? I think we are due about 5! ;)