Geocaching.com site update Oct 5th 2010

Greetings Geocachers! The following is a list of cases resolved in the latest website update. Please let us know in this thread if you notice anything unusual happening as a result of the fixes detailed below. All unrelated issues should be reported on our feedback site located at: http://feedback.geocaching.com. Thanks!

New features:

17909: Show an RSS feed of the Blog on the Geocaching.com Home Page

Added RSS feed of the blog to the Geocaching.com home page.

20292: Personal Notes for Cache Listings

Added personal notepad for cache listings for Premium Members (eventually will allow syncing in the field)

11362: Create a Difficulty/Terrain rating scale on our own site.

Added Difficulty/Terrain rating determination tool to cache creation page. Same rules apply (Thanks to Clayjar for hosting all these years!)

17908: Change Event Section on Front Page to provide more useful information

Updated Event Section so that users can see more upcoming events, and see them by location.

14139: Activation Code Retrieval

Added new facility to obtain lost activation codes for purchased Trackables

21750: Replace Get Satisfaction

Moved the feedback site to UserVoice

21130: Forgot username tool

Added a user name retrieval tool to the website.

21789: Require CAPTCHA for search results .LOC download

Added CAPTCHA for downloading search results in a .loc, no CAPTCHA for Premium members

21502: Text Change: Adding alternate email address confusion

Changed text when adding alternate e-mail address for greater clarity.

20340: Bad password captcha

Added a captcha after three failed log in attempts to prevent brute force attacks on user's accounts.

16090: Add the What is Geocaching?" video to the Getting Started page

"What is Geocaching?" video added to the Getting Started page.

18376: Replace Loki on Home Page with a more generic location tool

Geocaching.com now has access to more ways to determine a users location.

19860: Shrink secondary validation email so email to text message conversion is not split

Validation e-mail is now formatted in a way that is friendlier to use on cell phones.

18824: Referral Field on Membership page

When creating a membership there is now a field to enter the username of the user who referred you

22338: GeoCrush Landing Page

Added a GeoCrush page to www.geocaching.com/geocrush/ (Seattle-area arts promotion)

21404: Update to Coord.info splash screen

HOTFIX: Opening a coord.info link on the iPhone will give you the option of opening in the app

22073: Update Magellan Communicator

Updated plugin to latest version from Magellan

Bug fixes:

22497: Setting trackable to its last known location is not working properly

Marked as missing logs are excluded when determining the last known location.

16713: Pocket Query consistently not available for download after generation

Removed ability to delete My Finds PQ to insure it is always available

10583: Cache listing is not rendering in HTML properly on Garmin Oregon/Colorado.

Fixed issue that was causing cache listings to not render HTML properly on Garmin Oregon and Colorado devices.

19795: Dipped trackable does not show in cache history

Enabled the "View past Trackables" link if the only travelbug logged against the cache is a Visit

19213: No break between "X users watching this cache" and "You found this on" text on cache page

UI fix

22281: Marking trackable as missing fails to work when language preference not English

Fixed

16076: Polish Provinces

Added

22113: Text Change: Tracking code instead of number

Replaced five instances of "number" with "code"

22019: Obfuscate cache coordinates to anonymous users on /map/ page.

Cache coordinates now using same logic as KML generator.

20408: Clicking the "Event Cache" subclass of all events on cache tab of user profile returns all event cache types

Fixed

16143: new text at "Archive" logtype

Clarified warning text when attempting to archive a geocache

21853: Text change: Include Android app on /waypoints software faq

Added

21524: small text change for Home Coordinates

Clarified text on cache submission to ensure users their home location will not be shared

21860: Add 'Evince' to the Web-Based Applications List on gc.com

Added

22246: New Geocoin Vendor

Added www.strikezoneinc.com to list of vendors

21446: Text change: Online map link on cache page

Fixed text of Open Street Map URL on cache page

2019: Pocket query giving some logs but not all

Fixed issue where Pocket Queries weren't giving all logs.

20827: Link Refund Policy to Android App Page

Refund policy for the Android App now posted on the Android App Page.

20465: Text in email notification needs colon

Fixed URL formatting in cache submission confirmation email

22529: The difficulty /terrain rating with floating point values like 2.5, 1.5 dont show up on the display correctly

Fixed issue that was causing fractional d/t ratings to display improperly.

21508: Remove nearest benchmarks link when not logged in.

Removed link to nearby bookmarks on cache details if the user is not logged in

21344: Update "Password Reset Request for <username>" email to use shorter URL's

Now using coord.info URL for pw reset request

21217: Map Links: Rand McNally link not working

Fixed bad links on cache details

20993: Add new lackey icons to Groundspeak.com

Updated lackey icons on Groundspeak.com About page.

22131: Changing waypoint type anchors to top of page

Page no longer anchors to the top on postback

22341: Stat bar image broken

Fixed issue that was causing the stat bar to sometimes not display.

22031: Invalid email addresses in our system

Fixed issue involving users with e-mail addresses containing invalid characters.

19145: Remove Send Friend Request when email another user who is already a Friend

Users no longer have the option to send a friend request to a user who is already a friend.

21409: Form field in IE not grayed out

Forum title field made it appear as though basic members could edit their forum title

21959: Upgrade to recaptcha 1.0.4.0

Implemented upgraded recaptcha on the website.

Edited by OpinioNate

I like this BUT.... it's a pity the notes aren't then included in a GPX download or PQs

Mark

This is just a slice of a larger feature set to be implemented in the future. Some other aspects include the ability to sync between Android and iPhone applications, as well as the two features you mentioned.

I like this BUT.... it's a pity the notes aren't then included in a GPX download or PQs

Mark

This is just a slice of a larger feature set to be implemented in the future. Some other aspects include the ability to sync between Android and iPhone applications, as well as the two features you mentioned.

Oh, you TEASE! :lol:

Mark

Personal Notes are a nice enhancement, but I wish they were at the bottom of each listing rather than at the top, where they push the cache info down the page. If you don't use it, it's a blank box wasting valuable space at the top of the page, making you scroll down to see the cache info.

On the map, disabled caches no longer appear grey.

Also they are no longer crossed out on the cache list on the right - only when you click on the cache icon on the map.

PLEASE revert to the cache icon visually showing disabled caches, or allow me to deselect them as with finds/owned.

(using firefox)

Edited by sharant

Also they are no longer crossed out on the cache list on the right - only when you click on the cache icon on the map.

PLEASE revert to the cache icon visually showing disabled caches, or allow me to deselect them as with finds/owned.

(using firefox)

Looks fine to me

(using firefox)

Mark

18376: Replace Loki on Home Page with a more generic location tool

Geocaching.com now has access to more ways to determine a users location.

Finally! Loki never worked for me or anyone I know, and all the browsers worth using have geolocation available natively.

(using firefox)

Looks fine to me

(using firefox)

Mark

Hmm - I have a screenshot if anyone's interested - it all looked and worked fine last night. I only noticed because my nearest two caches have been disabled for months now, I thought they'd both magically come back from the dead (no such luck)

Ant (Firefox 3.6.10 :-)

Edited by sharant

Added Difficulty/Terrain rating determination tool to cache creation page. Same rules apply (Thanks to Clayjar for hosting all these years!)

"Is specialized equipment required?"-question is missing. Now only way for the cache to be rated T5, is if it requires overnight stay.

Without overnight stay checked, it's only possible to get T4.75.

(using firefox)

Same here!

Disabled caches are NOT GRAY!

(in both Safari & Firefox)

~ Dr.MORO

Hopefully also to Geocaching Live ?

Mark

Personal Notes are a nice enhancement, but I wish they were at the bottom of each listing rather than at the top, where they push the cache info down the page. If you don't use it, it's a blank box wasting valuable space at the top of the page, making you scroll down to see the cache info.

Domo!!!

I do agree with hydnsek.

It would be nice if you could open/close this section, with a click to an arrow-right/arrow-down icon.

JMO

~ Dr.MORO

"Is specialized equipment required?"-question is missing. Now only way for the cache to be rated T5, is if it requires overnight stay.

Without overnight stay checked, it's only possible to get T4.75.

Specialized Equipment now has its own attribute, so the 5-star workaround is no longer needed.

Now, a T5 really means what it should have meant all along.

And increase the amount of text that can be stored x 20. You're now restricted to about 2 average-length sentences.

I can't synch my PN-40 with Cache Register 2.0 and firmware 2.8. When I plug in my PN-40, CR starts, says "synching", makes the connect and disconnect noise several times, and then shows my number of geocaches and "logged on device" accurately. But when I click synch, it says "the network or geocaching.com was interrupted. Check your connections and try again." then shows N/A for all the categories. I can download caches one at a time from the cache page. CowboyPapa reports that he gets the same message, and CR 2.0 was working fine for him until today.

Preview in Google Maps of a PQ with 1000 caches seems to have been broken.

Only displays 649... worked before / still has 1000 results (if viewed as a list)

[edit] not consistent... one shows 649/1000, one 659/1000, another 842/997, another 683/966 and that one includes a letterbox cache in the US that I haven't found...

Smaller PQs (250) seem to be complete on the map.

Edited by aB5dEglYeS5P

(using firefox)

Same here!

~ Dr.MORO

Domo again!

Seems like the GRAY inactive icon is back now.

Thanks for the HOT fix, Hampsters!

~ Dr.MORO

I'm unable to download a PQ to the Groundspeak app on my iPod Touch - ios 4.1 - it just says download failed, try again later.

Ken

I am too using iOS 4.1 and an iPod touch with the Groundspeak app and I am having the same problem. I downloaded 3 pq's this morning on the app before the update and it worked fine.

Please fix!

I'm unable to download a PQ to the Groundspeak app on my iPod Touch - ios 4.1 - it just says download failed, try again later.

Ken

I am too using iOS 4.1 and an iPod touch with the Groundspeak app and I am having the same problem. I downloaded 3 pq's this morning on the app before the update and it worked fine.

Please fix!

We are working on this as I type. The same issue is causing the problems with DeLorme Cache Register syncing. Thanks for your patience!

Ken

Please fix!

We are working on this as I type. The same issue is causing the problems with DeLorme Cache Register syncing. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks Moun10Bike!

All seems to be working now!

Ken

Please fix!

Thanks Moun10Bike!

Great! Thanks for helping us to confirm that the fix worked!

Ken

Please fix!

Thanks Moun10Bike!

I can download regular PQ's However, I am still unable to download "Custom GPX". I uploaded a GSAK exported GPX v1.0 and am unable to download it on iPhone 4 IOS 4.1. Should that have been fixed too?

...did I miss it in the Release Notes..... "Souvenirs"?

Check my profile (the new "Souvenirs" tab) for some examples! :D

Bummer, only lackeys get these? I should have several, GW8, HQ visit, The 4th July event and the plaque but nothing.

Same here, and I had to drive much further than you. ;)

Souvenirs are not just a lackey thing, or a USA thing. Due to fears of database overload, we haven't yet done retroactive awarding of them. That will come.

You only see USA souvenirs on my profile because that's all that I've qualified for.

I'd agree that more information on the souvenirs would be helpful, but the team behind them felt that the mystery would help spur desire for them.

Souvenirs are not just a lackey thing, or a USA thing. Due to fears of database overload, we haven't yet done retroactive awarding of them. That will come.

You only see USA souvenirs on my profile because that's all that I've qualified for.

I'd agree that more information on the souvenirs would be helpful, but the team behind them felt that the mystery would help spur desire for them.

It would be nice, if they would at least give a hint, what else might be added for those souvenirs.

Big cities? Mountain tops? Or just events?

Ken

Please fix!

Thanks Moun10Bike!

Working with the PN-40, too. Thanks!

Ken

Please fix!

PQ download to my iPod Touch now working fine. Thanks very much for the fix!

Ken

(using firefox)

Same here!

~ Dr.MORO

Domo again!

Seems like the GRAY inactive icon is back now.

Thanks for the HOT fix, Hampsters!

~ Dr.MORO

For me, it's the other way round: All caches, disabled or not, are grey in the PQ view. ;)