New updates today?

Maybe keeping notes on puzzles/multis while you're working on them?

I don't recall any puzzles I've worked on where text only notes were sufficient while solving them.

Might be useful for multis for holding the coords for the next stage if you haven't finished it in one outing but it would be more convenient to have it as a waypoint in the GPS.

The one thing that it would be handy for right now is holding the clues you get when working on a series.

No, not all the notes, but once you reach a conclussion you can now just put it right on the cache page to work on later instead of having paper lying around. Or once you get the final coords but aren't able to get to the cache right away, you can now just drop them on the cache page so's they don't get lost. You could plug them into the GPS as well, but this looks like another viable option.

I'm sure an update to GCTidy will provide a way to roll that up.
The problem with relying too much on GreaseMonkey for reformatting the pages is that the scripts all too often get broken by these updates. Still, you're right... that is a way to get at least a temporary fix.

Quick check on my existing scripts, looks like nothing broken this round. Rather busy at work these days, don't know when I can get around to moving that notes box using GM. Hopefully someone else more proficient in Javascript can do that.

I came here to check what's new. I like the notes, though I too wish they don't occupy so much real estate. Hope there's support for them in the GPX soon. Could be downloaded as a special log type (for example, type = Personal note). Interesting that a 140 character limit was chosen though.

I noticed two new ideas on the feedback forum - asking for it to be added to GPX and also for it to be in the right hand sidebar. If you're interested in that, please vote for those features.

I'm not too crazy about the "Souvenirs" thing but I decided it doesn't really affect my geocaching. Maybe I'll grow to like it, who knows. Stranger things have happened.

Edited by Chrysalides

Quick check on my existing scripts, looks like nothing broken this round. Rather busy at work these days, don't know when I can get around to moving that notes box using GM. Hopefully someone else more proficient in Javascript can do that.

Here's a code snippet:

xpr = document.evaluate("//fieldset[contains(@class,'CacheNote')]", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null);
if(xpr.singleNodeValue) {
e = xpr.singleNodeValue;
e.parentNode.insertBefore(document.createElement('br'), e);

xpr = document.evaluate("//table[contains(@class,'LogsTable')]", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null);
	e2 = xpr.singleNodeValue;
	e.parentNode.removeChild(e);
	e2.parentNode.insertBefore(e, e2.nextSibling);
}	
}

No, not all the notes, but once you reach a conclussion you can now just put it right on the cache page to work on later instead of having paper lying around. Or once you get the final coords but aren't able to get to the cache right away, you can now just drop them on the cache page so's they don't get lost. You could plug them into the GPS as well, but this looks like another viable option.

I have a binder for that. I keep my notes and doodles and whatnot for puzzles in that binder. I just put the corrected coordinates into GSAK and they automagicaly go into my GPS. I think this is more useful for those that have not gone paperless.

Once they get it integrated with the iPhone app then it will be very useful to a lot of people.

19860: Shrink secondary validation email so email to text message conversion is not split

Validation e-mail is now formatted in a way that is friendlier to use on cell phones.

I was just complaning about this. Thanks!

Set up txt. That may save a few preacious minutes. Priviously, my e-mail was pop3 set to pol at 10min. intervals.

Thanks, Avernar (and thanks for letting me know by email). Have to play with it a little to see - moving it to the bottom of the logs is a nice workaround for now.

Here's a code snippet:

xpr = document.evaluate("//fieldset[contains(@class,'CacheNote')]", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null);
e = xpr.singleNodeValue;
e.parentNode.insertBefore(document.createElement('br'), e);

xpr = document.evaluate("//table[contains(@class,'LogsTable')]", document, null, XPathResult.FIRST_ORDERED_NODE_TYPE, null);
	e2 = xpr.singleNodeValue;
	e.parentNode.removeChild(e);
	e2.parentNode.insertBefore(e, e2.nextSibling);
}	
}

Interesting that a 140 character limit was chosen though.
Coincidence?

I think not!

Can't think how they're going to tie it to Twitter though.

Good thing the existing logging has been in existence since the beginning. If it were implemented today, we'll probably only get 140 characters per log entry.

Of course, "TFTC" only uses 4 character so that's 136 too many for some people.

Next month : 140 characters per forum post!

I'm not too crazy about the "Souvenirs" thing but I decided it doesn't really affect my geocaching. Maybe I'll grow to like it, who knows. Stranger things have happened.

Bingo.

Anybody got any of 'em yet?

a friend of mine got one a week or so ago while caching around Groundspeak HQ, I didn't ask much more about it though

Bingo.

a friend of mine got one a week or so ago while caching around Groundspeak HQ, I didn't ask much more about it though

Has he offered them up yet on eBay?

Bingo.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of offering up a jim dandy souvenir for geocachers who visit my Room With A View.

Bingo.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of offering up a jim dandy souvenir for geocachers who visit my Room With A View.

31 finds in 7 years? Yeah, I think they deserve it!!!

I wonder if the souvenir thing will expand out of metropolitan areas and into the boonies.

Aside from escaping the boonie hunts unscathed (or with minor scathes, which will recover in time, turning into fond memories, embellished re-tellings, tall tales and outright lies) that seems fair enough. If you visit the cache atop Mt Whitney you should have a little souvenir to show for it.

I wonder if the souvenir thing will expand out of metropolitan areas and into the boonies.

Good question. I certainly hope that Groundspeak hasn't offered another feature that is effectively exclusive to those in specific areas.

I saw the Souvenir link earlier in the thread but couldn't find anything about how to discover where souvenir regions are located.

Good question. I certainly hope that Groundspeak hasn't offered another feature that is effectively exclusive to those in specific areas.

I saw the Souvenir link earlier in the thread but couldn't find anything about how to discover where souvenir regions are located.

I have a feeling that not all souvenirs will be based on geographical location. We'll have to wait until the "generating buzz and speculation" phase passes and the "telling you what the heck they are" phase is initiated.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I have a feeling that not all souvenirs will be based on geographical location. We'll have to wait until the "generating buzz and speculation" phase passes and the "telling you what the heck they are" phase is initiated.

Question is: Are these only handed out by Groundspeak? Or can we create our own?

An inquir... enqui... a nosy mind wants to know.

Question is: Are these only handed out by Groundspeak? Or can we create our own?

An inquir... enqui... a nosy mind wants to know.

Is this a money making thing.....like some sites where you can buy virtual "gifts" and send them to people to display on their page? Example: Zealies on Dogster

Or once you get the final coords but aren't able to get to the cache right away, you can now just drop them on the cache page so's they don't get lost. You could plug them into the GPS as well, but this looks like another viable option.

At first, I couldn't see the use of these notes but this is a good solution for keeping puzzle coordinates handy. I always write down the solution to puzzles on a slip of paper that invariably gets lost or tossed. If I add those coordinates to my GPS but don't get a chance to hunt it before reloading a new PQ (usually weekly), those waypoints are wiped out. Instead of redoing the puzzle, I can just open the cache page and update GSAK at the same time.