Is Garmin GPSMAP 62s the unit to get?

I just read the review on this device and it seems like the 62s is the one to get. Would you guys agree that this is the case? I read that the maps on the 62st is uncessary and the regular 62 is missing too many important features.

Also can someone comment on the 62s' tracklog abilities? Is it as good as the 60CSX's tracklog capabilities? I also intend to use the unit for geotagging my photographs.

If I'm not mistaken, those are going for almost $400 retail right now. A 550 (with camera - handy for geotagging all-in-one) is going for just about $15 more http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Oregon-550-Wa...5642&sr=1-3

Might do to shop around and see what kind of deal you can get on each before making a commitment either way. After the buttons/joystick model of Garmin for some years, I've grown attached to the touchscreen approach of the Oregon, especially for fast text entry.

I just read the review on this device and it seems like the 62s is the one to get. Would you guys agree that this is the case? I read that the maps on the 62st is uncessary and the regular 62 is missing too many important features.

Also can someone comment on the 62s' tracklog abilities? Is it as good as the 60CSX's tracklog capabilities? I also intend to use the unit for geotagging my photographs.

After several weeks of using the 62s, I'll say I'm almost completely satisfied with it, and I'm a 60csx owner. I had serious doubts about it at first, but after a fair amount of configuration, I have come to love it.

It seems to be even more accurate than the 60, and it holds a signal better for sure. Having the cache info at hand is just awesome! Oh, it gets a lock on the satellites much faster too, although it takes a bit longet to boot up.

The screen is a bit darker than the 60, but I've adjusted to it, and it's rarely annoying. It's great in bright sunlight. I LOVE the battery saver mode. It might drive a lot of people crazy, but it's optional. I also love the compass. I HATED HATED HATED the 60's 2 axis compass.

2 things I DON'T like, and they're both pretty big issues with me...

1 - I still hate the fact that individual caches can't be deleted or edited. I wish Garmin could come up with at least basic file management tools. I understand that caches are now much more than a simple waypoint, but some tools would be nice.

2 - I don't remember. I'm really tired right now, but I'll remember soon...

I don't like touch screens much, so for me, the 62s is, for the most part, a combination of the best of the Oregon and the best of the 60. If you want a touch screen and the better resolution and bigger size of the Oregon's screen, then that's probably a better choice for you. Documentation for the 62 is very very poor. Thank goodness for this forum!

Can't comment on the tracklog capabilities.

I like the 60S.

You can adjust the tracks just like the older model. You can save a couple of your tracks also.

EDIT - Oh DEAR.... I meant to type 62S......not the 60S. That one tiny error could confuse people.

62S is the one I have ....with the pretty orange banding.

Edited by ventura_kids

Did a mini cache run this weekend and an oddity occurred ( I think ) My caching buddy was using 62s ( unit #2 ) and was set to delete way points ... That he did and Poooof went a PQ of geocaches.

Yes ... all waypoints and geocaches went bye bye ... fortunately we had a second 62s and a 60CSX so we were able to continue.

Had not seen this behavior before.

One other thing that is frying me is

Mark waypoints

Go back to the waypoint to review whether waypoints were entered correctly, can't seem to do the deed, do not remember seeing such behavior prior to 2.6

BACK TO TOPIC:

It is shaping up to be a rather good unit ... for a new product to be performing this well " right out of the chute is rather unique " Once again if the company had some HARDCORE GEOCACHERS on the development team it might prove beneficial. >>> Geocachers are a rather picky lot <<<<

If you have the $$$$$ it may fill the bill

Edited by humboldt flier

Went into Wally-World in Victoria today and they have the 62s priced at $439.00. They are generally quite good with returns.

$439US? i got my 62s for $399CDN. you guys should be cheaper, not more

anyone in canada looking for the best price on the 62s, i believe LeBarons is the best, but you can PM with MEC (which i did) or wherever you prefer that takes PM's

any yes, maps are free if you look (legally) like the Ibycus maps for canada and i know you guys have free US maps out there too.

Edited by brucered

i paid 399.99 at bass pro shops about a month ago.

so far i like it. though i cannot say it is perfect.

i have seen ppl mention the battery save thing....where do i go to set this up at?

Monty

setup, then display i believe.

don't have it in my hand right now, but i used it the other day and quite liked it while biking.

battery save was already on. guess i was expecting more then just on or off. like mayb what exactly it does.

Monty

it saves your battery. if you don't need to look at the display all the time they why waste the battery. it turns back on when you hit any key and i'd assume when it prompts you for the next turn or when you are close to a cache.

i won't use it all the time, but it's nice to have. i do wish you could set the timeout mode for it though.

My Pop bought a 62s, and so far we both have been using it and really like it. Biggest improvements as far as I'm concerned are the reception under cover and in canyons, and the screen readability in sunlight. Both vast improvements over other models.

However, I'm sticking with my Oregon 550. I like the easy, everything laid out right in front of you style main menu, I like the touch screen way more than I ever thought I would before I owned one, and I love having a decent camera with me everywhere I go.

But now that I'm typing this, if I was being honest, if the 62s had a camera like the Oregon 550 does, I'd probably be going with that model...