new person questions

jackpine44

how are geocoins "collectible" if you have to move them from cache to cache rather than keeping them for yourself. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but i can't figure it out.

Thanks

jackpine44

There is an option that you can set on a coin that you own. If you say it is not collectible then people cannot move it into their own collection. If it is, then presumably they can.

I would hope that only coins that are explicitly marked as collectible can be moved into your own collection.

As far as the physical coin, whether activated or not, many people do collect them.

Z.

Hello! :anitongue:

Well, I have no idea if I understood it myself too, but when you change a coin you have in your inventory into a collectable, it doesn't show there anymore! It goes to the collection list you have! the others stay!

I am always talking about coins you own!

by that way, when you are loging a drop, you will not have much trouble and accidently drop a wrong geocoin!

Except this it is easier to log coin in an event or something... I do not know if I got that right! I have never been in an event and.. Ido not have many geocoins!

I do not think that if a coin has the "it is collectible" and it ia out there travelling, you can actually keep it if you find it! The coin will still have someone else as owner!! If that really happens.... oh... I do not want even to think about it!

Only some special coins are like that (owned by someone else but you can keep them), Like the lackeys coins that the mojority of them (but not all!!!) have as owner, Signal the frog! You can keep the coin but you can not sell it or anything! I do not know about trades.... that is the reason Signal kept the ownership!

I personally and without knowing if I am right.... put my keepers as collectibles in my collection list (they will never travell anyway), and my travellers are "not collectables"! If you haven't set anything.... it is taken as not a collectable!

well... I am sure others will help you better! :anitongue:

Well, it looks like the definitive answer is here...

Knowledge Books Article

If it's marked as collectible then it can be collected by another player. If not then it has to move from cache to cache.

Your collection and your inventory are another aspect. If it's in your collection then you won't see it when you log a cache, but if it's in your inventory then you will be offered the choice of visiting a cache or dropping it there as well.

Z.

Just what we need... more confusion. I cache in several metropolitan areas of SC and in all of them there have been trackables disappearing in large numbers. A fellow cacher asked me tonight what he was supposed to do with the coins and tbs he finds in caches. Somehow, somewhere people need to know about travelers and it needs to be kept SIMPLE! What happened to if it's activated, you move it. You move it according to the posted mission. If it's not activated, then it's adoptable. Why do we have to fret over collectible or not collectible? Cachers I know are refusing to move travelers because they don't want to be held responsible when they go missing. Something needs to be done about this for the love of the game and the love of the travelers.

Just what we need... more confusion....

jeez, i guess. even after reading about what is and what isn't a collectible i don't think i understand it and if i am understanding it, what a piece of wasted time and effort. my activated coins live in an unused cache, just as many other people's do. when i activate a coin i get around to moving it out of my inventory and into the archived cache. why on earth would i take the time to go back and mark my activated coins collectible or non-collectible? sheesh.

rsg

Using the collectible option is supposed to get the Trackable out of your inventory list, so it's easier for you to log the ones that travel cache to cache, and so you don't have to search that really long drop down list for the ones you are moving, when their all mixed in with the ones you are not. It's a feature coin collectors asked for. It's just a way to get them out of your way. YOU collect them. Someone else doesn't collect your own coins.

At least that's how I had it figured.

Using the collectible option is supposed to get the Trackable out of your inventory list, so it's easier for you to log the ones that travel cache to cache, and so you don't have to search that really long drop down list for the ones you are moving, when their all mixed in with the ones you are not. It's a feature coin collectors asked for. It's just a way to get them out of your way. YOU collect them. Someone else doesn't collect your own coins.

At least that's how I had it figured.

Yes, that is exactly how I see it working. I have about 280 coins and all but two of them are activated. About 64 of them are being released in the wild. When I used to place a coin in a cache, a LONG list would come up of all of my coins and once or twice I accidently marked a coin I had not released as being in a cache. By putting the coins I do not want released in the collectible section, the list that pops up when I place a coin is much smaller.

Gregson

Edited by GregsonVaux

As I said to a confused cacher on the South African forum recently, I think this regular puzzlement about Collectibles comes from a (very understandable) misunderstanding of the word Collectibles...

If something is "collectible" most people take that to mean that if you find that item then you can collect it... and, presumably, start your own collection with it.

In this context of geocaching trackables it means exactly the opposite! - It means that the item belongs to another person and it is already in their own collection.

Personally, I feel it would have been better to named the two options for trackables as "Traveling Trackable" and "Owner's Personal Collection".

MrsB

I think the OP's question was much more simple than that.

Coins that you find in caches, are meant to travel from cache to cache. You do not build a collection from coins that are found in caches. (There are a few rare exceptions, but they should be clearly marked when you find them.)

Those who have collections build them by BUYING coins, and TRADING them with others who have bought coins.

The collectible option is just a tool for those who have a collection to manage it more easily.

In that case the knowledge books article needs to be updated...

"Can Be Collected

Status Types Collectible

The coin may be collected by another player.

You will receive an email when a trackable you own has been added to a collection."

I read this as saying that another player can add a coin that you own to their collection if you have set it to be "collectible". This is only true for activated coins because you can't set your preferences on a non-activated coin. If you don't explicitly set Collectible to yes then it is NOT collectible.

Now if someone wants to activate a coin, give me the information, and set it to collectible we can see if I can add it to my collection even though it belongs to you. And if this concerns anyone then please send me the physical coin as well... :lol: Otherwise, once we've tested then I will remove it from my collection and you can have it back... :lol:

Z.

I am new and thoroughly confused on the Geo-coin/travel bug thing. I just leave them in the cache because I do not get it. Someone told me you are supposed to log numbers when you find them in caches. So today we found a cache with a laminated paper picture of a Geo coin with a tag. The pic is of a coin #TB2XG59. Someone please dumb this down so me and my daughter can figure this out.

Thanks,

Team K1NG

<tracking number removed, reference number inserted by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

At the top of these forums is a thread with information on how to log a Trackable item. those were written for the layman. I might need to update it even, but it should help. I also have a link in my signature to the Groundspeak Knowledge books. I removed the tracking number from your post. That is the number you need to log the Trackable, and it should be kept out of public places, like cache logs and the forums, and Facebook, and any where that someone who has never seen it could log it, or play games with it. I put the reference number in its place. That is the number found on the Trackable page, and is used in public. Why not refer to it by name? Because sometimes there are a hundred trackables with the same name. check out the links provided, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

At the top of these forums is a thread with information on how to log a Trackable item. those were written for the layman. I might need to update it even, but it should help. I also have a link in my signature to the Groundspeak Knowledge books. I removed the tracking number from your post. That is the number you need to log the Trackable, and it should be kept out of public places, like cache logs and the forums, and Facebook, and any where that someone who has never seen it could log it, or play games with it. I put the reference number in its place. That is the number found on the Trackable page, and is used in public. Why not refer to it by name? Because sometimes there are a hundred trackables with the same name. check out the links provided, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks:) Sorry about putting the number on here. got it now.

Personally, I feel it would have been better to named the two options for trackables as "Traveling Trackable" and "Owner's Personal Collection".

Amen. "Collectible" makes it sound like the finder is welcome to collect it, which of course, is not true!

And if you read the knowledge book article on it it explicitly states that collectible coins can be added to their collection by ANOTHER player. If you can't collect it when you find it then why can you add it to your collection?

The only real way to know what this does is to a) try it, or :rolleyes: ask the powers that be.

Z.