Safety

madmomma72

Hello all--

I was enlightening a police officer-friend of mine (who had no idea what geocaching is) about the sport and the first thing he thought of was a safety issue.

I haven't done a lot of caching and I have always gone during the day. I often take my dog with me, but I don't carry pepper spray or a firearm. I would not be comfortable carrying a gun, but I can see that maybe pepper spray might be useful (living in the great isolated northwoods of Wisconsin) should I encounter an angry momma bear, a wolf, or some other such creature that could hurt me. I really don't worry about people just too much, although I am usually alone (except for the dog) and really have no self-protection skills. The problem I see is two-fold: 1) I have to be able to reach the spray in the first place, and 2) I have to be able to use it on something/one else before it can get me and hurt me.

In short, I don't worry about myself too much, but my ex-husband voiced the same type of concern when I took him and our daughter out over the weekend (to show him what we were doing, because she does sometimes come along). What do all of you think about this? I will gratefully consider all opinions and make a decision based on advice from those of you with more experience than me.

TIA :anitongue:

mm72

edited for typos

Edited by madmomma72

I would agree, that there is a safety concern. But no more than you would encounter going on a walk through a park, or a hike in the woods, or even a bike ride through the city. Be smart about things, and you have nothing to worry about.

The pepper spray may be a good idea if you're not comfortable with a firearm.

I'm glad to see you're concerned about safety. That alone will make you safer.

First, if you're not comfortable carrying a firearm then don't. It's not something you should do if you don't feel comfortable.

Pepper spray - You're spot on when you show concern about getting to it. Lots of women carry pepper spray, very few can get to it and operate it quickly in a stress situation. For when you're in the great outdoors I'd suggest buying "bear spray" and figuring out a way to keep it at the ready (fanny pack, clip on, whatever). In an urban environment the predators are a different type, and it can be more difficult to keep pepper spray handy. Which leads to...

To keep safer there are some basic steps you can take:

Bring your dog with you, even if it is a yapper. Besides, they make for a good cover while caching.

Keep your eyes open to things other than caches. It's easy to focus in on your GPSr and target location and not notice who/what is around you. Pay attention. Carry yourself with confidence, if you don't have it...fake it. :anitongue:

Cache with friends, even muggles. There is safety in crowds.

If you feel uncomfortable, leave. Don't feel bad about leaving.

Chose your spots. Some areas are less safe than others. Pick places you believe to be safe.

Have an plan. Have an exit plan. Decide ahead of time what you'll do if people approach or situations arise.

Keep your cell phone ready.

Talk to your officer friend. He knows the bad areas and what to watch out for. Pick his brain!

Don't forget to have fun! There isn't a boogy man/bear around every corner. :anitongue:

I'm glad to see you're concerned about safety. That alone will make you safer.

First, if you're not comfortable carrying a firearm then don't. It's not something you should do if you don't feel comfortable.

Pepper spray - You're spot on when you show concern about getting to it. Lots of women carry pepper spray, very few can get to it and operate it quickly in a stress situation. For when you're in the great outdoors I'd suggest buying "bear spray" and figuring out a way to keep it at the ready (fanny pack, clip on, whatever). In an urban environment the predators are a different type, and it can be more difficult to keep pepper spray handy. Which leads to...

To keep safer there are some basic steps you can take:

Bring your dog with you, even if it is a yapper. Besides, they make for a good cover while caching.

Keep your eyes open to things other than caches. It's easy to focus in on your GPSr and target location and not notice who/what is around you. Pay attention. Carry yourself with confidence, if you don't have it...fake it. :anitongue:

Cache with friends, even muggles. There is safety in crowds.

If you feel uncomfortable, leave. Don't feel bad about leaving.

Chose your spots. Some areas are less safe than others. Pick places you believe to be safe.

Have an plan. Have an exit plan. Decide ahead of time what you'll do if people approach or situations arise.

Keep your cell phone ready.

Talk to your officer friend. He knows the bad areas and what to watch out for. Pick his brain!

Don't forget to have fun! There isn't a boogy man/bear around every corner. :anitongue:

+1

There are training classes for use of pepper spray. Some places require a license for pepper spray.

Thanks for the great responses. I'm sure he would be willing to teach me how to use pepper (or bear) spray. I've not been too outdoorsy up to this point in my life so there's definitely a learning curve here. I've been spending most of my cache-hunting time in the woods but have run into more people than animals so far. I do tend to walk with gps goggles on and not look where I'm going so much.

I appreciate the feedback and will get back to my friend that yes, I would like to get some spray and yes, I need a lesson in its proper use. :anitongue:

Thanks again!

mm72

We've been divorced long enough that I was able to tolerate him for a few hours yesterday. :anitongue:

Cacheing partner? Everyone I've talked to outside this site thinks I'm nuts, lol. That's what I have the dog for! She doesn't make much noise but I talk to her and she's very protective of me. Only thing is, she's a pain when it comes to bushwhacking, which is why she hasn't gone with me everywhere at this point. I think wasp spray is a good point, I have heard that before but had forgotten it.

I might have to look into getting a cat like that! Does it walk on a leash?

Now I know we have wild animals up here or at least thats what everyone tells me anyway. But to be honest with you I do most of my caching out in the woods. Just think it would look kinda odd a 40 something male hanging out in the parks around town. I have yet run into anything. See a few dear in the distance but think there just passing though. Fact one cache I went after said the CO bear hunted this area got my hopes up that I just might at least see my first bear since moving up here and still nothing.

My advice would be sure carry some spray with you if it will make you feel better but conman sense is your best friend.

By the way I'm up in Rhinelander and I still cant get over how many caches we have up here gota get them before the snow flies!!!

When hiking in the woulds, predators (of the human persuasion) look for people who are distracted, or oblivious to their surroundings. You mentioned having "GPS Goggles," on, consider taking more time to be observant.

Bear spray is a great deterrent for predators, it works on Bears, Humans, Feral Dogs, Wolves, and Coyotes. The spray pattern on good Bear sprays, is large, and it has a good reach. I carry my bear spray on my backpack chest strap, or on my hip.

You might also consider taking some survival type supplies, if you find yourself stranded over night.

Ten Essentials: The Classic List

Map

Compass

Sunglasses and sunscreen

Extra clothing

Headlamp/flashlight

First-aid supplies

Firestarter

Matches

Knife

Extra food

Ten Essential Systems

Navigation (map & compass)

Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)

Insulation (extra clothing)

Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)

First-aid supplies

Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)

Repair kit and tools

Nutrition (extra food)

Hydration (extra water)

Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)

For some reason, lots of people are afraid to walk in the woods. I've been hiking in the forests of New England for nearly 30 years and can count on one hand the number of bear encounters I've had. And most of them were in roadside campgrounds. Some people ask me what do I do to make a bear go away and I tell them I usually take out my camera. :-)

You're in more danger of twisting an ankle, getting a cut or lost in the woods than having an issue with an animal. That said, you should be aware of your surroundings and know how to handle an animal situation. Most of the time making noise and leaving the area is all you have to do.

We've been divorced long enough that I was able to tolerate him for a few hours yesterday. :lol:

Cacheing partner? Everyone I've talked to outside this site thinks I'm nuts, lol. That's what I have the dog for! She doesn't make much noise but I talk to her and she's very protective of me. Only thing is, she's a pain when it comes to bushwhacking, which is why she hasn't gone with me everywhere at this point. I think wasp spray is a good point, I have heard that before but had forgotten it.

I might have to look into getting a cat like that! Does it walk on a leash?

They make great pets and are very trainable, the only thing is they are nocturnal so they like to sleep most of the day. When I was growing up we had a civet cat and 2 skunks at different times, I used to love to take them to school to scare the girls :lol: Just remember they can carry rabies, and try and find a vet to have it descented

For some reason, lots of people are afraid to walk in the woods. I've been hiking in the forests of New England for nearly 30 years and can count on one hand the number of bear encounters I've had.

Talk about regional differences...I grew up in grizzly country. We're just nice bite-sized snacks to them. :lol: Bear spray and bells were big selling items. Bears and mountain lions were a real consideration. Even with black bears, my encounters were more frequent than what you've experienced in New England. In fact, saw one on my last trip.

Even here in Colorado, we have areas with significant bear and mountain lion populations. At our family's cabin we've got at least two bears that hunt on the property and just found a dead mountain lion 200 ft from the cabin. There was also a story of a recent moose trampling and the tourists are always being stupid with the elk.

When hiking in the woulds, predators (of the human persuasion) look for people who are distracted, or oblivious to their surroundings. You mentioned having "GPS Goggles," on, consider taking more time to be observant.

Bear spray is a great deterrent for predators, it works on Bears, Humans, Feral Dogs, Wolves, and Coyotes. The spray pattern on good Bear sprays, is large, and it has a good reach. I carry my bear spray on my backpack chest strap, or on my hip.

You might also consider taking some survival type supplies, if you find yourself stranded over night.

Ten Essentials: The Classic List

Map

Compass

Sunglasses and sunscreen

Extra clothing

Headlamp/flashlight

First-aid supplies

Firestarter

Matches

Knife

Extra food

Ten Essential Systems

Navigation (map & compass)

Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)

Insulation (extra clothing)

Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)

First-aid supplies

Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)

Repair kit and tools

Nutrition (extra food)

Hydration (extra water)

Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)

This is some excellent advice. I'm continually amazed at what my friends have (or actually don't have) with them on long trips into the woods. I have to share water and food and often light the way back, all because all they have is cell phone and their car keys.

If you go out, be prepared. Having tools along that you don't need EVERY time will sure be nice when you DO need them.

Hoping for the best is good, but be prepared for the things that can likely happen (in decreasing likelihood):

>you'll get thirsty,

>you'll get hungry,

>you'll get cold,

>you'll be out after dark,

>you'll get blisters,

>you'll get lost,

>you'll get treed by a pack of feral dogs (they are a real concern in certain places).

By having the essentials listed, you can deal with the problems that come up, and keep on having an enjoyable time. If you don't have them, you're gonna be miserable, and possibly in danger.

Be prepared, and the sentient among us will have much more fun and peace of mind out there!

Edited by mountainman38

The best way to not become a victim is to be alert and NOT look like easey prey.

Of course its hard to know what looks like prey. UC Davis studied mountain lion attacks and found that half of the people who ran escaped injury, but those who ran had a higher risk of being killed in an attack. On the other hand, those who froze had a greater chance of being injured. So if you run, make sure you are on level ground and do not look look weak. And if you hold your ground, make sure you do not look vulnerable. Don't make it mad. But don't turn your back. So if a mountain lion wants to attack you, dadgummed if you do and dadgummed if you don't.

I have only seen one mountain lion while caching, and it had other things on its mind when it crossed the trail and headed across the ridge where I was hiking.

Bears are media and grandma hyped up to be a problem, but they are not. The only bears that would present a real problem are garbage bears on the fringes of a city that are habituated to people providing them food. Real bears who grow up in the wilderness will not mess with people. They are out there, but unless you happen to sneak up on one, you'll rarely see them. The fact is, animals will hear you coming and take off long before you get there. So, to avoid wild critter encounters in the woods all you need to do is make a lot of noise.

I've lived in the heart of bear country for decades doing paramedic and search & rescue type work. Just about two weeks ago I had to deal with a guy that got "mauled" by a brown bear. Now, before you think this seems to contradict my prior assertion that bears won't mess with people, let me fill you in on the rest of the story...

The guy was fishing late into the evening until it was getting dark. He has a 12g shotgun loaded with birdshot and is walking back up the trail from the river to the parking lot. Quite some distance up the trail, he sees a large brown bear (grizzly) heading toward him. The bear sees him about the same time, stops, and then leaves the trail off to one side. Now this guy stands there quiet and motionless listening to the bear skirt around through the brush. As the bear is passing by just a few yards off the trail, the guy raises his shotgun and blindly fires a round of birdshot at the bear. Within a couple seconds of shooting, the bear pounces out of the brush and proceeds to beat the living $@#& out of the guy. When the guy "plays dead", the bear leaves and continues on down the trail.

Here's the lesson... the bear was trying to avoid the encounter. The human was in the way, but the bear altered course to get around him. Then the stupid human stings the bear with his boom stick. The bear is now highly ticked off at being stung for no good reason and lets the stupid human know just how upset he is about that. After a good beat down, the bear continues on his way down to the river to get some salmon for dinner.

There are very, very few situations where a gun is the appropriate tool for a bear encounter. And in order for that gun to be effective in those very few situations, the operator needs to be well trained and practiced in its operation. And the gun needs to be big enough to do the job. That means big-bore, Dirty Harry pistols or better yet, big bore rifles, like a lever action 45-70 or similar hand canon. The casual hiker shouldn't carry a gun (at least not for bears; I worry more about predatory people than animals). Pepper spray is fine, but the best thing you can do is bring one or two friends who like to talk and sing. For the record, bear attacks on groups of 3 or more are non existent.

Bears are media and grandma hyped up to be a problem, but they are not.

Tell that to all the people who've been mauled or killed by them.

While you're right about the need to make noise in big bear country, and the need to respect their space and don't do stupid things, the fact is that there are many incidents of people being attacked and killed by bears. Humans, who are generally considered to be the most put together species, vary widely in their behaviors and reactions, so why would bears be any different? There have been cases where bears actively hunted humans for food, so the idea that they'll run away if given the chance doesn't hold true all the time. Because there is a chance of a very sad encounter with a bear, appropriate action needs to be taken any time they're around.

Telling people not to worry about bears is dangerous. Bears are very scary critters, and while it would be exciting to see one in the wild, seeing one would also mean you're in their world. Their world is survival, and that means getting whatever calories they can. Why people think animals should be naturally afraid of humans is beyond me: we smell like food, we taste like food, and a lot of us don't have much (or any) way to protect ourselves.

I do agree about the guns, though. From reading many, many accounts of bear encounters, and a lot of research, it would appear that pepper spray is definitely the best defense. Even if you're able to fatally shoot a bear, he's not going to die immediately, and chances are good he'll take you out too.

Though there are things in nature that can ruin your day/life, I don't let the worry of mountain lions or black bears stop me from enjoying the great out doors with my kids. I stay aware of what's going on, have tools to use should I need them, and go out and have fun. I've been doing this for over 40 years now, and it's working pretty well!

Bears are media and grandma hyped up to be a problem, but they are not. The only bears that would present a real problem are garbage bears on the fringes of a city that are habituated to people providing them food. Real bears who grow up in the wilderness will not mess with people.

I raise the "bull dust" flag.

List of fatal bear attacks in North America by decade.

Remember Grizzly Man?

Ya'll are just perpetuating the anti-bear myth. Even the link provided with the "list of bear attacks" proves my point. According to your own citation, over the last 10 years there have been 31 fatalities due to bears. More people die in car accidents every 6 hours than were killed over an entire 10 year period.

Bears are not a problem. I deal with bears all the time, especially at work, and people always overreact to the sight of a bear. The bears are always interested in getting away from the people. Bear attacks happen when people corner bears into a self-defense situation (sow w/cubs or a bear on carrion). It is extremely rare to find a bear that will seek out an encounter with a human.

Learn bear behavior. Make noise. Travel in groups. You will NEVER have a bear problem if you follow these couple simple steps.

While you're right about the need to make noise in big bear country, and the need to respect their space and don't do stupid things, the fact is that there are many incidents of people being attacked and killed by bears. Humans, who are generally considered to be the most put together species, vary widely in their behaviors and reactions, so why would bears be any different? There have been cases where bears actively hunted humans for food, so the idea that they'll run away if given the chance doesn't hold true all the time. Because there is a chance of a very sad encounter with a bear, appropriate action needs to be taken any time they're around.

Telling people not to worry about bears is dangerous. Bears are very scary critters, and while it would be exciting to see one in the wild, seeing one would also mean you're in their world. Their world is survival, and that means getting whatever calories they can. Why people think animals should be naturally afraid of humans is beyond me: we smell like food, we taste like food, and a lot of us don't have much (or any) way to protect ourselves.

I do agree about the guns, though. From reading many, many accounts of bear encounters, and a lot of research, it would appear that pepper spray is definitely the best defense. Even if you're able to fatally shoot a bear, he's not going to die immediately, and chances are good he'll take you out too.

Though there are things in nature that can ruin your day/life, I don't let the worry of mountain lions or black bears stop me from enjoying the great out doors with my kids. I stay aware of what's going on, have tools to use should I need them, and go out and have fun. I've been doing this for over 40 years now, and it's working pretty well!

Even if the chance of an attack from a bear is remote if you saw The Early Show this morning you may have seen the bit on the man in Belleview, Washington, not far outside of Seattle, who was attacked outside of his home. Now I dont live in the woods but I am guessing that if this happens so near a families home there is a strong possibility it can happen IN the woods so I wouldnt discount the importance of vigilance when in the woods. It could mean the difference between life or death. I also wouldnt play down how aware of your surroundings we need to be regardless of where we are caching.

Even if the chance of an attack from a bear is remote if you saw The Early Show this morning you may have seen the bit on the man in Belleview, Washington, not far outside of Seattle, who was attacked outside of his home. Now I dont live in the woods but I am guessing that if this happens so near a families home there is a strong possibility it can happen IN the woods so I wouldnt discount the importance of vigilance when in the woods. It could mean the difference between life or death. I also wouldnt play down how aware of your surroundings we need to be regardless of where we are caching.

Chelminiak, the Bellevue Councilman who was attacked, was actually at his cabin by Lake Wenatchee in central Washington. This was a horrific attack, and while he didn't die, he lost one eye and has serious wounds.

To anyone reading this thread, looking for information on animal attacks while out hiking, biking, camping, or geocaching: regardless of what self-proclaimed experts try to tell you, it can happen to you, anytime you're out. Whether you get attacked by a bear accustomed to humans, or one deep in the mountains, the attack isn't going to feel any different.

As I said before, I don't think the slim chance that you'll be attacked while you're out should prevent you from enjoying the wonderful out of doors. Pay attention to your surroundings, wherever you are, and have the tools needed to deal with a threat. Carrying pepper spray isn't always convenient or easy, but get in the habit and soon it'll be second nature.

Being alert and prepared isn't being paranoid -- it's just being sensible.

Somebody always brings up the wasp spray idea. In a life and death situation you do what you have to do. Just remember that the can of wasp spray has a warning label that says, "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." and you become liable for the person after you spray them. Also some states have specific laws against using any spray other than pepper spray.

Pepper spray is a bad name anyway, most are a stream that is good for 10 to 15 feet. This is where most close quarter attacks happen. Anything further and you are probably better off running for cover, or if there isn't any cover then run toward your attacker while spraying them. I am not a self defense expert so don't quote me on anything. When it comes down to it you do what you have to do.

I wasn't all the concerned with safety because I am finding mostly Urban hides....as I am able to go out hiking more, I have found some unsavory wooded locations that I won't visit without my HUGE husband. Together we came across three camps of some sort, that would have me concerned what might be going on there if my toddler and I wandered upon something.

In general, I feel safe in my home area, but, some common sense is always good.

As for bears....we don't have them in Indiana:)

Edited by theshows

For all this bear talk I've yet to hear anybody mention the dangers of bison. From the wikipedia article:

Bison are among the most dangerous animals encountered by visitors to the various U.S. and Canadian National Parks, especially Yellowstone National Park. Although they are not carnivorous, they will attack humans if provoked. They appear slow because of their lethargic movements, but they can easily outrun humans—they have been observed running as fast as 35 miles per hour (56 km/h). Between 1978 and 1992, nearly five times as many people in Yellowstone National Park were killed or injured by bison as by bears (12 by bears, 56 by bison). Bison are also more agile than one might expect, given the animal's size and body structure.

For all this bear talk I've yet to hear anybody mention the dangers of bison. From the wikipedia article:

Bison are among the most dangerous animals encountered by visitors to the various U.S. and Canadian National Parks, especially Yellowstone National Park. Although they are not carnivorous, they will attack humans if provoked. They appear slow because of their lethargic movements, but they can easily outrun humans—they have been observed running as fast as 35 miles per hour (56 km/h). Between 1978 and 1992, nearly five times as many people in Yellowstone National Park were killed or injured by bison as by bears (12 by bears, 56 by bison). Bison are also more agile than one might expect, given the animal's size and body structure.

We were in Yellowstone last summer, and all I can say is people are stoopid. They seemed to think Bison were just furry cows, and docile cows at that. We actually saw people posing their kids near them for photos. And this was in late June, when the calves were still being protected. :blink:

We saw one get separated from his buds by traffic, and he then proceeded to jump up and down in protest -- all four feet off the ground, with snorts and bellows to go along with it. I was glad to be inside a large pickup truck, although I'm not sure that would have been all that helpful if he'd decided he wanted in. We were 20-30 feet away, and could feel the ground shake over the vibration of the diesel. I'm betting the people behind us, who were even closer and looking up at him from their mini-cooper, had to change their shorts.

Thanks for the link - the list was quite informative.

The one thing that I did notice is that a large number of the fatal attacks were in campsites or cabins.

It's a pity that there was no assessment done in regards to food storage arrangements in those cases.

Given the bears unique sense of smell, I would hazard a guess that most of the campsite/living quarter attacks were due to human error (food or other smelly stuff left the campsite).

I think, like anything else in life, one has to weigh the danger against the value gained. To me, getting out there on the trails and getting 'out back' just means that I need to be knowledgable. I stand more chance of being harmed by a moose jaywalking at dusk on the roads here than I do meeting up with a bear in the bush.

According to your own citation, over the last 10 years there have been 31 fatalities due to bears.

Love the statistic. Here in Florida, bears are a non-issue. Florida black bears (almost) never aggress on humans. Had it not been for a couple incidents which were caused by humans deliberately antagonizing bears, without offering them an escape route, I would not have had to include the (almost). Over several decades, I've had numerous close encounters with bears, and without exception, every single bear that has met me in the wild ran away once he/she realized I was in their midst.

Here, the media hype is all about alligators. But the statistics are similar. The media likes to proclaim, (loudly), that Florida leads the nation in alligator attacks, citing 337 incidents. What they don't do is break those statistics down. Since 1970, we've only had 17 deaths by alligators. The vast majority of those 337 "attacks" were small gators latching onto the hand of the goober trying to show off by catching it. There are more people killed by dogs in Florida than by alligators, yet Fido doesn't get nearly the amount of bad press that Al E. Gator gets.

When it comes to safety - one of the biggest real concerns is - just getting lost or getting hurt and no one to help. a bad ankle could be bad enough to disable you from walking. Wear hiking boots and be VERY careful where and how you step. Remember if you get hurt bad the person with you may not know HOW to go for help. Avoid falling off rocks trees or any wooden slippery surface that would cause you harm. Bee nest can be in places that would cause you to jump carelessly to get away from them.

Learn to follow your track accurately - I had to do this once and was lucky enough to do it correctly the first time.

Study your maps at home and learn what is around you and take the map with you. The small screen that is zoomed out may not help you enough. Don't cache close to dark if you need to go far. Take a compass and use it. Always hike with a LED headlight.

Much better to avoid problems than to deal with them.

Been GCing for 8 years and never had a problem with an animal or person. Been scratched, cut, knocked, stung, bug bitten and have fallen down, many times. I've been very lucky in the falling department. Don't be falling down - that is how ya get hurt.

Only animal I fear are the 2 legged ones. The rest are media hype. I've been in the woods with brown and black bears, in water with gators and in swamps with snakes and all those other good icky creatures. The three animals I'd be the most concerned about are coyotes, feral dogs and feral pigs, for my area. I've yet to encounter any of those with this sport ... yet.

I suggest if you're under age or female, go with someone else. Not trying to say anything but that is my suggestion. Like with any job/activity in the world, common sense wins 99.99% of the time.

Animals are totally unpredictable. Always expect the unexpected. Every time I've been hurt by an animal, it was because it acted in a way that wasn't expected. Or I did something really stupid and 'irked' the animal.

As for the wasp spray, be prepared to go to jail if you use it. Humans once used a similar item against humans. It's called nerve agent and it's something that can kill you, in a very painful/nasty way. I highly suggest you never think of using wasp spray against anything but bugs.

Edited by A & J Tooling

Only animal you need fear are the 2 legged ones. The rest are media hype. I've been in the woods with brown and black bears, in water with gators and in swamps with snakes and all those other good icky creatures. The three animals I'd fear most are coyotes, feral dogs and feral pigs...

I've never seen feral dogs or pigs, but I've seen a lot of coyotes. So far I haven't seen any of the two legged variety, but now I know what to look for.

Thanks for the heads up!

In case anyone was confused, danger can come from four legged, two legged, or no legged critters. It's not common, so don't let it keep you from getting out and exploring.

Keep yours eyes open, be prepared, use common sense about where you go and when, and keep on having fun!

Only animal you need fear are the 2 legged ones. The rest are media hype. I've been in the woods with brown and black bears, in water with gators and in swamps with snakes and all those other good icky creatures. The three animals I'd fear most are coyotes, feral dogs and feral pigs...

I've never seen feral dogs or pigs, but I've seen a lot of coyotes. So far I haven't seen any of the two legged variety, but now I know what to look for.

Thanks for the heads up!

In case anyone was confused, danger can come from four legged, two legged, or no legged critters. It's not common, so don't let it keep you from getting out and exploring.

Keep yours eyes open, be prepared, use common sense about where you go and when, and keep on having fun!

Sir! Thank you for showing me the errors of my ways. Feel free to do so at any time, Sir!

I have unknowingly walked in much less safe places. I was in Philadelphia in the mid 80's. I was staying at the hotel near liberty square and walked to the street with all the restaurants and pubs at 10pm. I was later chewed out by a coworker that lived In Camden NJ. They said "are you crazy you could have gotten mugged or worse". I had no Idea.

I don't have to worry about bears in Texas. But I keep citronella spray and pepper spray for critters and human animals. When I go off pavement I carry water, First aid kit. ration bars, cell, horn, aerial flares and signal mirror. Haven't been able to find the tiny smoke flares you use to be able to get. I also take a plastic poncho and emergency blanket. Oh almost forgot compass and chart/map along with the GPS. Because who want's to have their life dependent on a couple of double A batteries. I always take a head lamp, I always geocaching or not have a pocket knife, lighter and small flashlight.

Yea I was a Boyscout.

Motto it is: better to have and not need than to need and not have something important.

Edited by delanos

Thanks for the great responses. I'm sure he would be willing to teach me how to use pepper (or bear) spray. I've not been too outdoorsy up to this point in my life so there's definitely a learning curve here. I've been spending most of my cache-hunting time in the woods but have run into more people than animals so far. I do tend to walk with gps goggles on and not look where I'm going so much.

I appreciate the feedback and will get back to my friend that yes, I would like to get some spray and yes, I need a lesson in its proper use. :anitongue:

Thanks again!

mm72

For bears you need a spray bottle that is pretty big. First it needs to work at longer distances than most pepper sprays for people plus you want more of the actual irritant. Bears are stubborn and if they get upset say your a threat to Mama's cubs you need something serious. I wouldn't carry one any smaller than a 8oz. bigger if you can afford it. Thew work out to 30' instead of 10' to 15'. If a bear gets with in 10 feet I'd figure on getting mauled or killed.

But the truth is some people get attacked by critter but in the lower percentile. It's just a case of do you feel luck

OH almost forgot bear country or not I wear a bear bell. Had it for like 20 year. It's kind of for luck.

I've taken multiple combat/CQ/Tactical handgun training classes and always carry (where allowed by law) when I'm caching, and most of the time when I'm not. I can draw and ready my weapon much faster then someone who is fumbling with pepper spray hanging on their belt if need be.

Georgia has some very liberal concealed carry laws and also allows carrying in state parks with a valid CCW. :)