Good places to hide Geocaches

Penguinplus

I would suggest you do some research, and decide on what type of caches are you wanting to hide. When I started hiding caches I liked micro's, but I am working on changing that and move to medium size caches because I want to start putting more swag in them. Also I want to get out and hike more and find interesting locations out in the woods to hide caches. Also look on the GCing maps and find places that don't already have a lot of caches.

First bit of advice...Pick a place where you can easily check on the cache as 'stuff' happens to them.

In general, it looks like you've got a great area to place caches. Lots of beautiful countryside and not a lot of caches. BTW, I disagree with the suggestion to place a micro and start with something at least the size of a lock-n-lock. Looking at the map, you shouldn't have a problem finding a good location.

For locations...Since your area is so wide open, I'd suggest choosing a location that has special meaning to you or has something unique or special about it. Include that information in your cache description. Make sure it isn't on private property (unless you have permission). You're in snow country so consider whether you want it easily findable in the winter and be careful about placing it where water can damage it.

Good luck!

Personally I prefer to FIND the larger caches. I've only found a few, but I target the larger caches, especially when I take the kids with me. They love to sift through the swag and find something that suits them. These are more commonly hidden in patches of woods, or near local businesses that allow people to place them on their property.

So like a previous poster mentioned, consider who you want to find the cache (families, individuals, teams, handicapped, etc.) Consider parking available, trail access, seasonal changes etc. Think of some of your favorite finds, and don't be afraid to use other peoples ideas.

I'm thinking of placing my first few caches in a local parks where there is easy access in just about any weather.

Just my opinion... :lol:

So I am somewhat new to this. I was wondering were some good places to hide geocaches would be.

I use a few rules of thumb when hiding them:

1. Is it an interesting place, a beautiful place, an unusual place or an educational place? If it fits none of these, it may not warrant a cache.

2. Is it allowed? Check and make sure caches can be placed there. I'm lucky. There are few regulations about caches where I live, other than not to put them on private property. Different places have different rules (particularly in the USA re: National Parks, Preserves, Monuments, etc.).

3. Is it safe? While you don't have to put caches under a rock in the middle of a flat field, you should pay attention to the dangers of the environment in which you are placing the cache. If your aim is to make a family-friendly cache on a nice hiking trail, don't dangle the thing off the edge of an overhung cliff. If you *do* make a cache with an element of danger or for which special equipment/safety gear is required, make sure to mention it in the cache description and rate the difficulty accordingly.

4. Place the largest maintainable and concealable container possible in a venue. Why put a micro in an evergreen tree five miles into untrammeled forest? My rule of thumb is to hide the biggest cache possible (mine don't get much larger than an ammo can anyway) in a spot. If you're going to make people hike for something, give them at least a decent-sized logbook in which to share their adventures.

5. Use a container that suits the locale. If it's a very rural cache that's harder to maintain, use an ammo can or a very good Lock n Lock and conceal it in a sheltered spot, where it will be protected from the elements. Caches that are easier to get to can have less bomb-proof containers.

But first and foremost, find a bunch of caches before you place any. That way you'll know what works really well for your area and what definitively does not.

Happy caching!

Vicky

Edited by vickyth

Our team always asks "Why were we brought here?"

It is always a more enjoyable find when the answer is evident...be it for the view, to visit a park, historical place or whatever the case.

We also like when the description gives you a pretty good idea of why the cache was placed in that particular area.

The fact you are even asking the question is a positive and appreciated step!

Happy Geocaching!

Edited by hawkeyetob