Underrated Caches

ratcliffe

I'm just wondering what relatively undiscovered gems are out there, particularly in my area, the East Midlands.

Here is my contribution GC1C55

This is a virtual cache near to Rempstone in Leicestershire. Now I know a lot of people don't like the old virtuals, but this was a lovely little cache, with an awful lot of history attached.

Any other gem caches out there that don't get discovered perhaps as often as they should, this one has only been found 126 times in 9 years...

There is a short series near me (short in as much as it's only 6 caches, although the walk is 7 - 8 miles) that is really something special, yet nobody has been out there since we found them in August.

The walk takes in utterly spectacular scenery, a neolithic long barrow, 2 extremely interesting churches and 2 award winning pubs, and a big posh stately home type thing

One of our best caching days yet

It's called the Coldwell Quarks series and is near Cheltenham

here's the first one:

GC1YJ7D

NB if you do the series be sure to make a short detour along the way to pick up the nearby Florrie's Florin micro also, and visit the church there, it's well worth it

Edited by The Chaos Crew

I don't know how you do the hyperlink thingy, but The Covenanter's Grave (GC1YMAZ) was one I earmarked ages ago and which doesn't get very many visitors. It's only a year old and has only had 8 visitors (actually 9 because it still awaits Allieballie's log), but is in what I think is the style of the old traditional caches, i.e., a nice long walk with some history thrown in. A really worthwhile cache.

The other one doesn't carry the same history, but it involves a lovely long walk with spectacular views too: Penthouse Views (GCRA4G). It hadn't been found in two years before I found it, and still only 15 in nearly 5 years which is a crying shame as it's a wonderful cache. Perhaps we "suffer" from cache saturation in the area? I don't really think so, but this one perhaps gets overlooked because of the walk involved?

Do both!

:lol:

I'm just wondering what relatively undiscovered gems are out there, particularly in my area, the East Midlands.

Any other gem caches out there that don't get discovered perhaps as often as they should ...

If you visit Amberel's TOP CACHE page you'll see a list of 40 or 50 outstanding caches. Regrettably the East Midlands isn't well represented, but that's only because I've done very little caching there. I live in the South East so there are quite a few from there, but the list is somewhat biassed towards Devon and Cornwall because they have great places to hide caches plus a disproportionately large number of people who set really high quality caches.

I'm always looking out for top quality caches myself, so I'll follow this thread with interest :lol: .

Rgds, Andy

I can recommend the Bassetts series just north of Southwold, Suffolk ... Both definitely have the "OMG" factor
Thanks, I'll add those to my list, a bit out of my normal area but sounds like worth a trip.

Maybe I'll extend my web pages to include recommendations that I haven't been to yet.

Rgds, Andy

I can recommend the Bassetts series just north of Southwold, Suffolk ... Both definitely have the "OMG" factor
Thanks, I'll add those to my list, a bit out of my normal area but sounds like worth a trip.

Maybe I'll extend my web pages to include recommendations that I haven't been to yet.

Rgds, Andy

In which case you should certainly add GCKZ29 which is the best cache I have ever done. It took myself and Jollyjax three whole days!

In which case you should certainly add GCKZ29 which is the best cache I have ever done. It took myself and Jollyjax three whole days!

Thanks Ali, I have put it on my list, though the thought of all that brain work fills me with less excitement than the prospect of a long walk over the moors :signalviolin::mmraspberry::anitongue: . We all enjoy different things, and puzzle caches for me, while not being completely off the menu, do take a bit more to get me wound up.

Also thanks to Splendidz, on the list, though a long way from me.

Rgds, Andy

If you visit Amberel's TOP CACHE page you'll see a list of 40 or 50 outstanding caches. Regrettably the East Midlands isn't well represented, but that's only because I've done very little caching there. I live in the South East so there are quite a few from there, but the list is somewhat biassed towards Devon and Cornwall because they have great places to hide caches plus a disproportionately large number of people who set really high quality caches.

I'm always looking out for top quality caches myself, so I'll follow this thread with interest :lol: .

Rgds, Andy

That's a great list! I've done the "Below Above" caches on there, and I agree they are top caches. I'm too scared to try "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" (and there is a new one by the same owner which is even more challenging!).

This looks like a good thread. Any more for the East Midlands region?

If you use the Advanced Search page you can search by Country/region and bring up a list of all the caches in the East Midlands.

If you then click on the little blue icon for Favourites it'll list them with the "Most Favoured" caches at the top of the list - A good way to get an idea of what your fellow cachers consider to be the best ones.

MrsB :)

This is a virtual cache near to Rempstone in Leicestershire. Now I know a lot of people don't like the old virtuals, but this was a lovely little cache, with an awful lot of history attached.

Any other gem caches out there that don't get discovered perhaps as often as they should, this one has only been found 126 times in 9 years...

Yes I'm with you on this one. I loved this cache.

This is a virtual cache near to Rempstone in Leicestershire.

Yes I'm with you on this one. I loved this cache.

I'll have to disagree there.

We went and did this cache because it was mentioned in this thread and it was very disappointing. It's an old graveyard. That's all. No information on the cache page explaining why it's there and no information when you actually get there either. The place DOES have an interesting history but you have to Google for it yourself :huh:

Mark

If you use the Advanced Search page you can search by Country/region and bring up a list of all the caches in the East Midlands.

If you then click on the little blue icon for Favourites it'll list them with the "Most Favoured" caches at the top of the list - A good way to get an idea of what your fellow cachers consider to be the best ones.

That looks like it could be really useful to us.

Thank you very much, Mrs B :D

Izzy & Paul

That looks like it could be really useful to us.

Thank you very much, Mrs B :D

Izzy & Paul

Great in theory... But lots of East Midlands caches up this part of the region are labelled North West, some other areas West Midlands, etc etc... So that plan would miss some good caches!

I agree that it's not a perfect solution, especially in locations close to geocaching region boundaries, or those where people don't know their EMs from their NWs but it does provide a starting point for selecting good* caches.

When this topic started I thought it was going to be all heated debates about "When is a 1*T not a 1*T?" and "Is my double-coded-fiendishly-difficult-and-maybe-slightly-tedious-Suduko puzzle cache really a 4*D?"

But it isn't.

MrsB

* Whatever "good" means these days.

I agree that it's not a perfect solution, especially in locations close to geocaching region boundaries, or those where people don't know their EMs from their NWs but it does provide a starting point for selecting good* caches.

When this topic started I thought it was going to be all heated debates about "When is a 1*T not a 1*T?" and "Is my double-coded-fiendishly-difficult-and-maybe-slightly-tedious-Suduko puzzle cache really a 4*D?"

But it isn't.

MrsB

* Whatever "good" means these days.

It's the best starting point, and would get better if GS forced the nation and region by the co-ordinates rather than letting us choose. In theory I can hide a cache in Glossop and mark it as southern England... And it could slip through undeteced. It's not the COs fault or the Reviewers... And it's easy to fix.

Now... I did a 3 star terrain that was only just not wheelchair accessible... If approached from the other side than intended... 1 1/2 tops... Didn't say anything as it had been found lots of times.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Any other suggestions? I like to see other people's recommendations.

Of the caches I've done in the last month or so, these really stand out:

North Wales, Beddgelert, Sygyn Copper Trail, TerraCache

North Wales, Lleyn Peninsula, Ogof Huw John Fychan, TerraCache but have to visit v.good GC cache as first stage

North Wales, Lleyn Peninsula, Cilan Cliffs, TerraCache

North Wales, Lleyn Peninsula, Bardsey View, TerraCache

South West Wales, several by mushroom mike, search by cache setter and sort by favourites.

Suffolk, Alien Alert!, TerraCache

Suffolk, Alice's Adventure, TerraCache, probably the best of them

Suffolk, Caching Cluedo, TerraCache

Bath, Playing Around in Kingsdown (GC) + Piddypug's Hole (In one) (opencaching.org.uk)

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

For sheer brainache I enjoyed solving Enigma GC2V4FV. It's only been found twice, not unfortunately by me, though I have decrypted the message and know the location (I think!).

Ah, yes...Enigma. That took me an hour or two! Fantastic location for a cache as well as a great puzzle. Shame I've still not cracked all the other WB puzzles, some of which have to be 10* difficulty...

Of course, it's hardly an undicovered gem (with 107 favourite points) but WEREWOLF has to get a mention. Another great location high on the moors, and a fun puzzle. But if you like that one (and sorry to bang my own drum :anicute: ), then you will probably like my own Subterranean Homesick Blues: which is in the East Midlands and has been well-received by the few who've attempted it. And you don't have to face the windswept Pennines to log it, either.

Brilliant Thread and of course the Cornish caches would be -

Single Caches -

Cold Fusion

Pirates Treasure Trove

Feet in the Leat

Playing MArbles

Polzy Stack

try Your Breaks Tregerry

Joy of Caching No.20

Indy Bones - Bridge Although this is part of a series - it cab be started at this one and done in a loop. And this hide is classy.

As for series the list is long but distinguished and we would recommend

The Halo Series - massive power trail taking in stunning countryside and a huge variety of caches. St Austell Way

Wherigo Wandawing Round Wilsey - A series of Wherigo caches with a quize at each. - Launceston area

Quest Of Erebor - St Austell way - allow a couple of days for this its evil

Indy Bones by the same CO

Holsworthy Woods series which ends in a classy bonus in a plantation woodland

And of the Earth Caches we have done this was the best

Tin Copper & Arsenic

There are literally too many to mention but these are beautiful caches and just to throw a different one out there and because I grew up less than 0.2 from it

Marconi Tower

oh the memories that day brought back!

Edited by Seaglass Pirates