Virtual Coins -- Taboo? Allowed?

mynetdude

I have asked over at Clayjar's chat, some don't bother with trackables, some do and some do not see the point of a coin that doesn't exist (or does it?)

The coin probably does exist, the tracking number on it refers to the coin itself (you know, the piece of metal it was pounded on). But what I have is a laminated xcanned picture of the coin, what it is, etc, the VC is much larger that it will only fit in normal size caches (like jars, water bottles, ammo cans, etc)

I am not exactly having a problem with it, one I can understand the coin owner does not want this particular coin to get stolen as it probably is XLE so the idea of making a virtual coin, which is fine I suppose; but it kind of defeats the point of a coin???? I realize coins come in a variety of shapes and sizes, the largest coin I have to date is a nocturnal timepiece coin, there is no way I will release it for obvious reasons and the Lackey 2010 coin is HUGE for being a typical round coin! Again, the virtual coin is bigger than both of my coins in terms of shape size not necessarily the fact it can be bent or folded if it had to be.

what do you all say about virtual coins?

I used to think poorly of them, but with the number of coins that I've had go missing (approximately one out of three), I'm reconsidering them. I recently purchased a generic coin from a reputable geocoin dealer ... I write the coin code on the generic coin and the discoverer actually holds an item in their hand and gets the unique icon, but it it not that particular coin. I haven't released this yet, but may do so soon.

I used to think poorly of them, but with the number of coins that I've had go missing (approximately one out of three), I'm reconsidering them. I recently purchased a generic coin from a reputable geocoin dealer ... I write the coin code on the generic coin and the discoverer actually holds an item in their hand and gets the unique icon, but it it not that particular coin. I haven't released this yet, but may do so soon.

Generic coin=blank? (I'm sure it has some detials about geocaching.com etc etc etc.

So this generic coin, thid discoverer gets to keep it? Or is it meant to be moved on? And you are using the generic coin in place of the real thing? I guess that would save me from having to buy copies of the same thing. (my collection has gotten large in a 2 week fashion) I have a number of coins where I have 2-4 of the same coins, most are copies cuz I have not decided if I want to activate some of them but I am not collecting for resale I am collecting to show off (not in an egoistic manner either).

So reselling value is not something I am greatly concerned about, yes I like XLE coins, and I will buy them and would love to show them off because how many are going to be in possession of an XLE coin? Not too many for sure.

It's called a Proxy Coin. Use the search box in the bottom left corner of the geocoin forums, and search "proxy" and you will find a dozen threads on the subject.

They are used 1. When someone's original coin is lost forever, and they are reusing the tracking number.

and 2. When someone cannot bear to part with the original geocoin, and will release a proxy in its place. Some are well made, and some are well, not well made. Some people will move or discover them for the icon, others will not touch them. Do not throw them out. They travel the same way a Travel Bug does. It is not a virtual coin. A virtual coin is when someone is passing out just the tracking number, and allowing others to log it without seeing the trackable in person. Those can be locked forever and ever.

It's called a Proxy Coin. Use the search box in the bottom left corner of the geocoin forums, and search "proxy" and you will find a dozen threads on the subject.

They are used 1. When someone's original coin is lost forever, and they are reusing the tracking number.

and 2. When someone cannot bear to part with the original geocoin, and will release a proxy in its place. Some are well made, and some are well, not well made. Some people will move or discover them for the icon, others will not touch them. Do not throw them out. They travel the same way a Travel Bug does. It is not a virtual coin. A virtual coin is when someone is passing out just the tracking number, and allowing others to log it without seeing the trackable in person. Those can be locked forever and ever.

If I had known what this was called, I would have searched, but the topic/item here suggested is different than a proxy coin, because this isn't a proxy coin (well I guess it is now)

but what i have is a piece of paper laminated that has a picture of a scanned actual coin. From your description, this does not sound like a proxy coin to me; that being said I do understand the ramifications of passing out the trackable without the physical item but that is also the same as a proxy coin, its not the actual/real thing therefore you are just passing around the trackable number on a coin that isin't its own.

prox·y

   /ˈprɒksi/ Show Spelled[prok-see] Show IPA

–noun, plural prox·ies.

the agency, function, or power of a person authorized to act as the deputy or substitute for another.

the person so authorized; substitute; agent.

a written authorization empowering another person to vote or act for the signer, as at a meeting of stockholders.

an ally or confederate who can be relied upon to speak or act in one's behalf.

In this case, the coin is the substitute. Proxy is not to be confused with virtual logging.

I'm all for it (using proxy coins)

I appreciate all trackables and / or versions appropriate thereof and move them along as soon as I am able

:anitongue:

my main motivation to support proxy coins is that 2/3+ of my travelers are "lost" (I think John Locke has them)

lol

Edited by Pastor_B